PDA

View Full Version : Will Smith - bad actor - bad movies - peaked at Fresh Prince

cantthinkofanything
05-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Best Will Smith Movies:

Six Degrees of Separation
Bad Boys
Enemy of the State
Hancock
Hitch?

I don't know. It gets thin quickly.

I'll spice it up with my TD montage.

mrsmaalox
05-22-2015, 03:09 PM
I've never seen Fresh Prince. The only Will Smith films I've seen are Made in America and the first Men in Black; I liked them both.

Koolaid_Man
05-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Man..cantthinkofanything....you all ova my dick today....go head mane...deep throat that shit...i like when you ho's use a lot of spit...and play with the spit like a stringed cheesy pizza...:lol

cantthinkofanything
05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Man..cantthinkofanything....you all ova my dick today....go head mane...deep throat that shit...i like when you ho's use a lot of spit...and play with the spit like a stringed cheesy pizza...:lol

LOL. What the fuck are you even talking about? I'm pretty sure I've stuck to tame discussions about a couple of actors today. You'll know when I'm up your bizznatch.

Franklin
05-22-2015, 08:01 PM
All Men in Black movies were badass stuffs imho, funny and entertaining as hell.

Bynumite
05-22-2015, 09:42 PM
I am Legend was alright but Denzel >>>>>>>>>>>>> Will smith.

Some people say Denzel doesn't have much range and keeps playing the same character but taht nigga has classics on top of classics.

cantthinkofanything
05-22-2015, 10:35 PM
I am Legend was alright but Denzel >>>>>>>>>>>>> Will smith.

Some people say Denzel doesn't have much range and keeps playing the same character but taht nigga has classics on top of classics.

Doesn't have range. You could say the same about DeNiro. His characters are all similar in many ways. Even in Raging Bull and Taxi Driver. But he's a great actor and adds enough nuances to each so it's not redundant. And like Denzel, cranks out classics.

lefty
05-22-2015, 11:57 PM
I liked him in Fresh Prince, MIB, Enemy of State and Hancock

The rest is shit though :lol

Alex's foreskin
05-22-2015, 11:59 PM
http://www.tvacres.com/images/west2_wild_wild_west_movie.jpg

CitizenDwayne
05-23-2015, 01:27 AM
Will Smith fucking sucks. His "charisma" is just him laughing inappropriately and making shitty jokes during tense scenes. Dumb people like things like that, hence his success

CitizenDwayne
05-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Doesn't have range. You could say the same about DeNiro. His characters are all similar in many ways. Even in Raging Bull and Taxi Driver. But he's a great actor and adds enough nuances to each so it's not redundant. And like Denzel, cranks out classics.

Honestly comparing those two is just incredibly insulting to De Niro imo. Not sure how he "doesn't have range", he's played a wide variety of characters in his career. Same for Denzel, but not sure that the latter really cranks out classics...other than Training Day, Malcolm X and maybe American Gangster, what classics are there?

djohn2oo8
05-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Honestly comparing those two is just incredibly insulting to De Niro imo. Not sure how he "doesn't have range", he's played a wide variety of characters in his career. Same for Denzel, but not sure that the latter really cranks out classics...other than Training Day, Malcolm X and maybe American Gangster, what classics are there?
Crimson Tide, Courage Under Fire, He Got Game, Glory, The Hurricane, Man on Fire.

Thread
05-23-2015, 10:01 AM
His moment came early:::

_ZXaAXLjIoI

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Crimson Tide, Courage Under Fire, He Got Game, Glory, The Hurricane, Man on Fire.

Exactly.

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2015, 10:12 AM

How is it insulting? Name DeNiros wide variety of characters that he's done well. He's bad when he gets too far from what he is. Even his comedy from Fockers is basically his tough guy routine.

And in your same post you mention "same for Denzel". You're all over the place Ebert.

djohn2oo8
05-23-2015, 10:25 AM
How is it insulting? Name DeNiros wide variety of characters that he's done well. He's bad when he gets too far from what he is. Even his comedy from Fockers is basically his tough guy routine.

And in your same post you mention "same for Denzel". You're all over the place Ebert.

Yeah DeNiro is best at movies like Goodfellas, The Godfather part II, Heat, etc.

Caltex2
05-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Will Smith fucking sucks. His "charisma" is just him laughing inappropriately and making shitty jokes during tense scenes. Dumb people like things like that, hence his success

Will Smith has some spark and a, for lack of a better word, zany personality. But he plays essentially the same character in every film.

Strange Love
05-23-2015, 01:41 PM
I must be the only one who likes I Am Legend here.

Strange Love
05-23-2015, 01:44 PM

He has range. Just gotten lazy after putting in work.

In the 80s and 90s he did a bunch of lawyer-ish and cop type movies that were pretty solid.

Also did you not see Training Day?

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2015, 02:08 PM
He has range. Just gotten lazy after putting in work.

In the 80s and 90s he did a bunch of lawyer-ish and cop type movies that were pretty solid.

Also did you not see Training Day?

My comment, "doesn't have range" was repeating the poster above that. My point was that neither Denzel or DeNiro change up their base character much. Training Day is a top 10 movie imo. Yeah...I think I saw most of those good movies he was in. And he's a solid very likable and believable actor. Like DeNiro. Most great actors become great by doing roles that fit them. Which both those guys do. Some great actors take on a larger variety or roles. Not many can pull it off. It's hard for me to come up with many. I guess Dustin Hoffman would be a good example of one.

Twisted_Dawg
05-23-2015, 05:50 PM
And to think Will Smith turned down the role of Django in Django Unchained because he would not have been the lead.

CitizenDwayne
05-23-2015, 06:44 PM

Hmm fair enough. Though the inclusion of Man on Fire puzzles me.

Plenty good movies, just don't strike me as classics that will stick with me years after watching, like De Niro's work in Godfather 2, Goodfellas, Heat, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Deer Hunter, Cape Fear, Untouchables, King of Comedy, etc

CitizenDwayne
05-23-2015, 06:47 PM

I was saying that Denzel and De Niro both play a variety of characters...just that Denzel is not really in the same league as De Niro.

People just see De Niro as the "gangster guy" and Denzel as the "angry black man" because their most well-known movies lean toward those archetypes, not because they never try to act outside of those character types.

And how the fuck are the characters in Raging Bull and Taxi Driver similar?

Thread
05-23-2015, 07:06 PM
I must be the only one who likes I Am Legend here.

It was terribly self serving, Strange. The SX were sub standard & there was a certain pomposity to the entire proceedings as well.

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2015, 11:19 PM
I was saying that Denzel and De Niro both play a variety of characters...just that Denzel is not really in the same league as De Niro.

People just see De Niro as the "gangster guy" and Denzel as the "angry black man" because their most well-known movies lean toward those archetypes, not because they never try to act outside of those character types.

They both remind me of that guy from Meet the Fockers.

cantthinkofanything
05-23-2015, 11:22 PM
Hmm fair enough. Though the inclusion of Man on Fire puzzles me.

Plenty good movies, just don't strike me as classics that will stick with me years after watching, like De Niro's work in Godfather 2, Goodfellas, Heat, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Deer Hunter, Cape Fear, Untouchables, King of Comedy, etc

Damn. Man on Fire is awesome. And it's actually one of Denzel's most human characters. It's my second favorite of his movies after TD.

Thread
05-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Damn. Man on Fire is awesome. And it's actually one of Denzel's most human characters. It's my second favorite of his movies after TD.

It is all that.

- "Move, and I'll snatch the life right out of you."

DMC
05-24-2015, 11:53 AM
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Denzel is an actor, a real deal trained and polished and vetted actor. Will Smith was a rapper who made movies. Elvis was a singer who made movies, and I don't see anyone comparing his acting to Heston or Peck.

DMC
05-24-2015, 11:56 AM

You're wrong. Denzel is every bit as good an actor as Robert, maybe better. Robert and Al are overrated actors, both great no doubt, but popularity of movies doesn't equate to great acting. I think Brad Pitt and Leonardo are some of the best actors we've seen in Hollywood. You know when Denzel plays a role, it's going to be amazing. Tom Hanks though, he's on another planet.

The remake of Man on Fire was amazing, and Carlos Varela nailed it at the end.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2015, 11:59 AM
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. Denzel is an actor, a real deal trained and polished and vetted actor. Will Smith was a rapper who made movies. Elvis was a singer who made movies, and I don't see anyone comparing his acting to Heston or Peck.

Only one idiot compared them. Since then the comparison is Denzel and DeNiro.

CitizenDwayne
05-24-2015, 12:02 PM

Interesting. I may need to re-watch it, I just remember not being particularly thrilled with it.

CitizenDwayne
05-24-2015, 12:04 PM
You're wrong. Denzel is every bit as good an actor as Robert, maybe better..

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that.

I agree about Pacino, though. I love the guy, but from a technical standpoint, he's not quite the thespian some make him out to be. Very entertaining to watch, though

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Interesting. I may need to re-watch it, I just remember not being particularly thrilled with it.

Did you watch it on TV the first time? Maybe they cut it up too much. In any event, give it another shot. It's got a cool feel to it as well. I can't remember who directed it but it's good.

~O~
05-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Will Smith doesn't have any major movies, Washington is the cream of the crop. It all comes natural.

When it comes to modern acting, I'd take Gyllenhaal, DiCaprio, McConaughey, Pitt, Washington, Fiennes, Damon, Murphy, Cumberbatch, Downey Jr., Cooper, Fassbender.

Mention: Caine, Freeman, Elba, Cruise, Bale, Hardy, Pratt, Pace.

For those females; Portman, Theron, Monaghan, Hathaway, a goddess, Conelly..definitely conelly, Watson, Blanchett, Page, and I love that french girl Cotillard.

Thebesteva
05-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Best Will Smith Movies:

Six Degrees of Separation
Bad Boys
Enemy of the State
Hancock
Hitch?

I don't know. It gets thin quickly.

I'll spice it up with my TD montage.

He was a huge blockbuster star during the mid to late 90's. He starred in some great summer flicks like Independence Day (very few mentioned this movie in this thread), MIB, badboys.

However, like many great things it has come to an end imho. I think Pursuit of Happiness was kind of overrated but I'm apparently alone in this. It was a dull and depressing movie with a nice happy ending.

I think the thing that weirds me out the most now about Will is how he has tried so hard to make his son a star when he clearly is not. I tried to like Jayden, I even saw that shitty remake of Karate Kid but the kid is not a star, he's just lucky to be Will Smith's son. Nothing he does can change that.

Lastly, the fact that he's a down low scientologist only adds to the creepiness that is Will Smith.

Thread
05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
I think the thing that weirds me out the most now about Will is how he has tried so hard to make his son a star when he clearly is not. I tried to like Jayden, I even saw that shitty remake of Karate Kid but the kid is not a star, he's just lucky to be Will Smith's son. Nothing he does can change that.

Eve

djohn2oo8
05-24-2015, 06:08 PM
He was a huge blockbuster star during the mid to late 90's. He starred in some great summer flicks like Independence Day (very few mentioned this movie in this thread), MIB, badboys.

However, like many great things it has come to an end imho. I think Pursuit of Happiness was kind of overrated but I'm apparently alone in this. It was a dull and depressing movie with a nice happy ending.

Lastly, the fact that he's a down low scientologist only adds to the creepiness that is Will Smith.

Hollywood does that to people, with the Scientology and all too.

Thebesteva
05-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Hollywood does that to people, with the Scientology and all too.

I used to work at this clinic before just for experience years before I went to med school. I prolly shouldn't say this story here but oh well, it was in a building where a famous scientologist doctor worked. She had all the common people visit her during the day like Kristie Alley, Leah Remini. But the big stars would come at 1 am when everyone had left and this was the clinic where Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes came to for their pregnancy test.

It tested positive and one of the receptionists, a non-scientologist hispanic girl who could barely speak English apparently stole the information and contacted a magazine company (I think it was TIME or LIFE, one of them) and made somewhere near $200k for the information. She never returned to work again.

Anyhow, I never saw Tom Cruise or Katie, it was just a story I heard straight from the nurse who worked at the clinic and how furious the doctors are. With that said, one night I was leaving late and I saw a huge group of black cars in the parking lot. Out of no where, Will Smith walks up stairs. The next day, I asked the nurse if Will Smith is a scientologist she said she can't tell me but yes he did come visit the famous scientologist doctor. This is circa 2006

She's a great doctor too, but she works specifically for the scientologists.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Will Smith doesn't have any major movies, Washington is the cream of the crop. It all comes natural.

When it comes to modern acting, I'd take Gyllenhaal, DiCaprio, McConaughey, Pitt, Washington, Fiennes, Damon, Murphy, Cumberbatch, Downey Jr., Cooper, Fassbender.

Mention: Caine, Freeman, Elba, Cruise, Bale, Hardy, Pratt, Pace.

For those females; Portman, Theron, Monaghan, Hathaway, a goddess, Conelly..definitely conelly, Watson, Blanchett, Page, and I love that french girl Cotillard.

No Robert Duvall? Heresy.

djohn2oo8
05-24-2015, 06:17 PM
I used to work at this clinic before just for experience years before I went to med school. I prolly shouldn't say this story here but oh well, it was in a building where a famous scientologist doctor worked. She had all the common people visit her during the day like Kristie Alley, Leah Remini. But the big stars would come at 1 am when everyone had left and this was the clinic where Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes came to for their pregnancy test.

It tested positive and one of the receptionists, a non-scientologist hispanic girl who could barely speak English apparently stole the information and contacted a magazine company (I think it was TIME or LIFE, one of them) and made somewhere near $200k for the information. She never returned to work again.

Anyhow, I never saw Tom Cruise or Katie, it was just a story I heard straight from the nurse who worked at the clinic and how furious the doctors are. With that said, one night I was leaving late and I saw a huge group of black cars in the parking lot. Out of no where, Will Smith walks up stairs. The next day, I asked the nurse if Will Smith is a scientologist she said she can't tell me but yes he did come visit the famous scientologist doctor. This is circa 2006

She's a great doctor too, but she works specifically for the scientologists.

Damn :lol thats creepy

~O~
05-24-2015, 06:21 PM
No Robert Duvall? Heresy.

Modern actors. Robert Duvall was great but in terms of relevance currently, he hasn't been anything that has blown me away

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2015, 06:46 PM
Modern actors. Robert Duvall was great but in terms of relevance currently, he hasn't been anything that has blown me away

Fair enough. Although Caine is kind of the same to me in terms of not doing as much great work lately.

Jeff Bridges?

~O~
05-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Bridges recently had some major movie bombings after True Grit and Tron Legacy. Grit was impressive. Tron was to cliche to blow me away.

For what its worth, the actors are mentioned are in movies that are easily re-watchable during periods of the year.

Hmm...I forgot to include Ian McKellen for playing Gandolf and Magneto his face is too memorable.

Jude Law isn't a great lead but he somehow finds his way into great movies. Recently the Grand Budapest Hotel and Sherlock.

Ed Harris is always playing himself in movies. However, he's been in excellent movies in the early and mid 2000's. He's been in average movies in the past 5 years. In Gravity, he played the "mission abort!" guy. That's not a major role but..hey...he was in it.

Chiwetel Eliofer....he's meh..but I liked him in Serenity, Children of Men; I hate movies based off of slavery. 12 years a slave..is depressing. However, it did win awards. I'll give him that.

Caine has been in the Prestige, Inception, Batman Trilogy, Interstellar, Children of Men; movies that have made the top 10 lists for modern movies and those movies absolutely blew me away. But hey...Christopher Nolan, quality over quantity. Having been in the movie industry since 1950, it says enough. Caine was natural in all the roles of the movies I mentioned. Caine is also a heavily educated guy I and I support heavily educated actors.

cantthinkofanything
05-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Bridges recently had some major movie bombings after True Grit and Tron Legacy. Grit was impressive. Tron was to cliche to blow me away.

For what its worth, the actors are mentioned are in movies that are easily re-watchable during periods of the year.

Hmm...I forgot to include Ian McKellen for playing Gandolf and Magneto his face is too memorable.

Jude Law isn't a great lead but he somehow finds his way into great movies. Recently the Grand Budapest Hotel and Sherlock.

Ed Harris is always playing himself in movies. However, he's been in excellent movies in the early and mid 2000's. He's been in average movies in the past 5 years. In Gravity, he played the "mission abort!" guy. That's not a major role but..hey...he was in it.

Chiwetel Eliofer....he's meh..but I liked him in Serenity, Children of Men; I hate movies based off of slavery. 12 years a slave..is depressing. However, it did win awards. I'll give him that.

Caine has been in the Prestige, Inception, Batman Trilogy, Interstellar, Children of Men; movies that have made the top 10 lists for modern movies and those movies absolutely blew me away. But hey...Christopher Nolan, quality over quantity. Having been in the movie industry since 1950, it says enough. Caine was natural in all the roles of the movies I mentioned. Caine is also a heavily educated guy I and I support heavily educated actors.

Funny. I just saw Harris in Absolute Power along with Eastwood, Hackman, and Scott Glenn. I like Harris but agree with your assesment. Bridges is almost always money though.

Caine is great but he pretty much does plays the same guy now.

Strange your mentions as I also watched Law and Caine in a remake of Sleuth.

Law and Ethan Hawke were great in one of my favorite scifis. Yep...Gattica.

I thought Edward Norton was destined for greatness as well but his trajectory flattened and limpened faster than Avante seeing Chris Hanson.

DMC
05-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Ed Norton did too many cameo movies where he was nobody basically, like the Jason Bourne movie. He's turned into Nick Cage, suck yo dick for a movie, any movie.

I don't care if an actor has great range, can he play his part well and does he accept parts that are in his range? There are some who try to stretch it and it doesn't work. Clint Eastwood was never even a halfway decent actor until he got old as fuck and even then he's basically the High Plains Drifter guy with grey hair.

CitizenDwayne
05-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Isn't Edward Norton supposed to be really difficult to get along with on set? May have had something to do with his weird career turn.

Thread
05-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Isn't Edward Norton supposed to be really difficult to get along with on set? May have had something to do with his weird career turn.

His dinner table (scenes) in American History X never grow old.