PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Greatest Player Since Jordan?

wildbill2u
05-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Have fans been worshiping at the feet of false gods like Kobe and Shaq? This guy makes a pretty sweet argument for our favorite St. Crucian. My god, the consistency over the years...

The Best Player Since Jordan — The Cauldron — Medium
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-best-player-since-jordan-3da47f9ca3e1

z0sa
05-22-2015, 05:36 PM
It is not even a debate any longer tbh.

Johnsyounger
05-22-2015, 05:38 PM
this

It is not even a debate any longer tbh.

BillMc
05-22-2015, 05:39 PM
He's the greatest player since Chicago Jordan. Timmy was winning MVPs and championships while Jordan was in D.C.

wildbill2u
05-22-2015, 05:53 PM
i honestly thought he was at the end a few years ago when he had plantar fasciatis (?) so bad. And this year he tied a record for all NBA selection with 15 years. It's a great read because it reminds us of all the stuff we sometimes overlook.

BillMc
05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
i honestly thought he was at the end a few years ago when he had plantar fasciatis (?) so bad. And this year he tied a record for all NBA selection with 15 years. It's a great read because it reminds us of all the stuff we sometimes overlook.

Yeah, getting over that plantar fasciatis, getting a new knee brace, and losing weight really put a renaissance on his career. That and having Tiago and Boris to share some of the heavy lifting instead of Bonner, Blair and Dice.

sammy
05-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Timmy! The greatest of all time!

Sean Cagney
05-22-2015, 06:31 PM

Quiet as kept when he had that Plantar problem in 06 he had his best series as a pro against Dallas, shows you his will going out there and playing that great on the foot. The rivals bring out the best in you, he dug deep down.

32.3 PPG, 11.7 rebounds and 2.6 blocks and shot 55% for the series, his best ever IMO and it went 7 games.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2006/series_sasdal.html

cjw
05-22-2015, 07:07 PM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-teams-of-all-time-according-to-elo/

Nine of the top 39 teams of all time based on ELO. Not too shabby.

barbacoataco
05-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Duncan maybe for now but it will be Lebron if he wins a couple more rings at some point.

SpursFan86
05-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Duncan right now, and it's not particularly close. Shaq is close to Duncan on an all-time list, but a lot of his good years came pre-98 (what most consider the end of the Jordan era). Kobe isn't even near Duncan at this point :lol

LeBron could very well end up ahead of Duncan by the time he retires though. In fact, I'd probably predict that he will.

phxspurfan
05-22-2015, 08:45 PM
LeBron

Silver&Black
05-22-2015, 09:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wjftPFF.png

adidas11
05-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Shaq.

cd021
05-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Duncan maybe for now but it will be Lebron if he wins a couple more rings at some point.

3 Finals losses and switching teams are "blemishes" on his record. Then again leading 5 teams to the Finals before he turned 30 and probably a 6th team before he turns 31 is remarkable. That 1st Cavs team in 07 may be the worst Finals team in NBA history.

Duncans has 16 straight 50 win seasons. 9 Conference Finals appearances (6-3). 6 Finals appearances and 5 Championships (in three different decades). As of now its Duncan. Lebron may win two or three more but not sure if it takes him past Duncan.

z0sa
05-22-2015, 10:18 PM

Honestly, LeBron is still a pretty distant #2.

It's come to the point now that this should be known as the Tim Duncan (or Spurs, if you wish) era, which is coming quickly to a close in the next couple years.

Malik Hairston
05-22-2015, 10:23 PM
Peak
LeBron
Shaq
Duncan
Kobe

Career
Duncan
LeBron
Shaq/Kobe

kobyz
05-23-2015, 01:58 AM
LeBron

Thanks to pop...

Sean Cagney
05-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks to pop...

He is not there yet, Pop also defeated his teams a few times in the finals as well in case you forgot..... Since you just always key on the negative and losses instead of wins.

For now it is Tim.

Tuddy
05-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Prime Snaq had the highest peak ever. Every time he touched it, it was either a dunk, a foul or a good pass out of the double team

Sean Cagney
05-23-2015, 02:45 AM
Prime Snaq had the highest peak ever. Every time he touched it, it was either a dunk, a foul or a good pass out of the double team

He for those few years was a force, unstoppable. His prime though did not last that long at that level so I pick Tim. Shaq though the most dominant for that peak as you said.

BillMc
05-23-2015, 08:50 AM
He for those few years was a force, unstoppable. His prime though did not last that long at that level so I pick Tim. Shaq though the most dominant for that peak as you said.

Yeah, Shaq's peak was really only like 2 or 3 seasons. Still for those years, I thought he might have been better than Jordan. He seemed unstoppable.

Blizzardwizard
05-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Parker.

4 time NBA Champion
EuroBasket champion
Leader of the Spurs and France
Finals MVP
Robbed of MVP in 2013
Top 5 clutch player of all time

MVParker >>>> All :lobt2:

Sean Cagney
05-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Parker.

4 time NBA Champion
EuroBasket champion
Leader of the Spurs and France
Finals MVP
Robbed of MVP in 2013
Top 5 clutch player of all time

MVParker >>>> All :lobt2:

Tim would have gotten finals MVP if they win in 013 man. He had 31 and 17 in game 6 and gave it his all to ring before Pop sat him like an idiot. France sucks, Gino has an Olympic Gold Medal so he trumps Tony there (along with world games medal). Duncan is far more clutch as well...

I like Parker too and know your joking but facts are facts.

wildbill2u
05-23-2015, 12:01 PM

The only problem I have with Shaq is that every time he touched the ball, he committed an offensive foul to go to the basket by shoving off his defender with his weight behind those massive arms. He was the big new star coming in after His Airness. They promoted him heavily--along with Kobe to keep the popularity of the league going. It was in the financial interest of the NBA to let him get away with it in order to promote the league. If anyone else had been doing it, they would have fouled out of every game.

If you look at his game, he had no outside shot. He really didn't have any footwork like other premier big men such as Olajawon or McHale. So he was reduced to simply overpowering his defender with illegal contact.

He WAS dominant for a few years--but it was because the league let him break the rules.

TDfan2007
05-23-2015, 06:55 PM
The only problem I have with Shaq is that every time he touched the ball, he committed an offensive foul to go to the basket by shoving off his defender with his weight behind those massive arms. He was the big new star coming in after His Airness. They promoted him heavily--along with Kobe to keep the popularity of the league going. It was in the financial interest of the NBA to let him get away with it in order to promote the league. If anyone else had been doing it, they would have fouled out of every game.

If you look at his game, he had no outside shot. He really didn't have any footwork like other premier big men such as Olajawon or McHale. So he was reduced to simply overpowering his defender with illegal contact.

He WAS dominant for a few years--but it was because the league let him break the rules.

Shaq was huge, strong, agile, fast, could shoot over either shoulder in the post, and was an underrated passer. He put up video game numbers on almost a nightly basis in his prime. I think he got away with some contact, but let's not discredit his skill level for a guy his size.

TDfan2007
05-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Peak
LeBron
Shaq
Duncan
Kobe

Career
Duncan
LeBron
Shaq/Kobe

2001-2003 Timmy > 2011-2013 LeBron IMO, but otherwise I agree.

barbacoataco
05-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Agree with this. Also, Shaq was such a liability at the FT line that they often took him out of the game when it was late and close. That is a problem when comparing the greats. You want a guy who can finish.

99 Problems
05-23-2015, 09:00 PM
In order

Duncan
Shaq
MVPatty
Bonner
LeBron
Kirby

dbreiden83080
05-23-2015, 09:10 PM
http://www.posternation.com/image/view/tim-duncan-2007-finals-game-1-pointing-3-253284