PDA

View Full Version : How does Pop handle the Parker situation without Hurting his ego and feelings?

apalisoc_9
05-24-2015, 10:21 AM

Does he tell him, "Play him in the bench and win 6th man of the year so people think you're better than Manu?

Or would he even have the guts to reduce his role?

HEBsteaks
05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
I think the only way he can do it is to mask the truth. Get the team together, say that we will go through Kawhi, but twist it in way to seem like its to benefit or the advantage of TP. Which it may actually help TP, save his legs from 20s of dribble dribble and get some easier open shots.

DMC
05-24-2015, 11:16 AM
Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose. It will be up to Tony to pass the torch, or not. If he doesn't, his waning years will be in the lottery.

james evans
05-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Leonard had better get the hell off this team if he wants a career or his next 3 years will be spent backing up a broke down pg

dbestpro
05-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Two things need to happen. First, they need to get a big pg, who is worthy of starting, and who at times can be on the floor with TP.
Second, Manu will have to retire, so that TP can take the roll of offense from the bench. More than likely this would make Mills expendable, as well, which in turn would create the need for a tall wing on the bench who can hit the three.

sananspursfan21
05-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Isn't this whole Tony Parker being a narcissistic egotistical maniac just an assumption by fans of equal mental/emotional state? Correct me if I'm wrong using direct quotes from himself, Popopvich, or teammates claiming this or eluding to such accusations. Because he has his moments on the court, but doesn't Kawhi, Timmy, Manu, and everyone else have a pretty decent opportunity to contribute?

Signed,
Confused and perhaps ill-informed Spurs fan since '95

sananspursfan21
05-24-2015, 12:58 PM
And I mean it, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe I missed an interview or some kind of exclusive report.

K...
05-24-2015, 02:25 PM
Smh these dumb millennials like op who think alpha men have feelings like they do. We get it, op loves and needs attention. Parker is the teams alpha and win or lose he's not going to charge his game because of "feelings"

Smh.

Malik Hairston
05-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose. It will be up to Tony to pass the torch, or not. If he doesn't, his waning years will be in the lottery.

Yep, pretty much..

apalisoc_9
05-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Leonard had better get the hell off this team if he wants a career or his next 3 years will be spent backing up a broke down pg

This.

z0sa
05-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Pop won't do either. He'll roll with Tony win or lose.

This, tbh.

Which is the biggest reason I believe Tony bounces back with a vengeance next season.

Mikeanaro
05-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Sometimes its better just RUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!!

EVAY
05-24-2015, 04:15 PM
Pop didn't seem too concerned about Tony's feelings or ego during the first several years in the league when he routinely screamed in his face, gesticulated wildly at him during most every time out, benched him when he wanted to bench him and was so verbally abusive to him that the national media started referring to TP as "Pop's whipping boy".

I think some folks on here weren't fans in those years to know the history between Pop and TP. Essentially, Pop abused TP until TP began to think and act like the pg that Pop always wanted to be himself. TP is the creation of Popovich. Pop molded him and tore him apart and put him back together repeatedly until TP did exactly what Pop wanted whenever Pop wanted it.

When Pop wanted TP to be a pg that just brought the ball up the court and gave it to "Teemy", that is what TP did. Those were the days of the offensive set that was "Four down" every time down court. Then, when TD's legs got bad enough, Pop told TP to bring the ball up and start a motion offense that allowed TD to essentially remain in one basic position while TP ran the loop play and TD examined the defensive set to see what the best play was going to be. That offense was interspersed with the Duncan/TP pick and roll and the Parker drive to the basket.

In other words, TP has always done what Pop wanted him to do or Pop sat him down.

The only player that Pop has EVER shown deference to was Tim. No player before or since TD has ever gotten (or deserved) what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop (though what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop is less like a kid-glove than it is for any other coach in the league). Even Danny Green on his worst days has not begun to scratch the surface of abuse that TP used to get from Pop virtually every night. The abuse stopped when TP knew what Pop wanted as well or better than Pop did.

Pop doesn't scream at TP as often as he used to because TP earned Pop's respect. If he fails to do what Pop wants, I think we can rest assured that Pop will do whatever it takes to keep Tim as happy as possible, including screaming, benching, or trading anyone else on the team. If Pop is still coaching and TP is playing, it is because Pop wants it that way. And Pop only wants what Tim wants.

Doesn't mean there isn't a sense of loyalty between Pop and TP. Just means that the the sense of loyalty between Pop and TD is the first and last loyalty.

Tyrone Jenkins
05-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Pop doesn't need to say anything. He will continue to start Tony but sub for him earlier and leave the sub in longer.

ducks
05-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Pop didn't seem too concerned about Tony's feelings or ego during the first several years in the league when he routinely screamed in his face, gesticulated wildly at him during most every time out, benched him when he wanted to bench him and was so verbally abusive to him that the national media started referring to TP as "Pop's whipping boy".

I think some folks on here weren't fans in those years to know the history between Pop and TP. Essentially, Pop abused TP until TP began to think and act like the pg that Pop always wanted to be himself. TP is the creation of Popovich. Pop molded him and tore him apart and put him back together repeatedly until TP did exactly what Pop wanted whenever Pop wanted it.

When Pop wanted TP to be a pg that just brought the ball up the court and gave it to "Teemy", that is what TP did. Those were the days of the offensive set that was "Four down" every time down court. Then, when TD's legs got bad enough, Pop told TP to bring the ball up and start a motion offense that allowed TD to essentially remain in one basic position while TP ran the loop play and TD examined the defensive set to see what the best play was going to be. That offense was interspersed with the Duncan/TP pick and roll and the Parker drive to the basket.

In other words, TP has always done what Pop wanted him to do or Pop sat him down.

The only player that Pop has EVER shown deference to was Tim. No player before or since TD has ever gotten (or deserved) what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop (though what passes for kid-glove treatment from Pop is less like a kid-glove than it is for any other coach in the league). Even Danny Green on his worst days has not begun to scratch the surface of abuse that TP used to get from Pop virtually every night. The abuse stopped when TP knew what Pop wanted as well or better than Pop did.

Pop doesn't scream at TP as often as he used to because TP earned Pop's respect. If he fails to do what Pop wants, I think we can rest assured that Pop will do whatever it takes to keep Tim as happy as possible, including screaming, benching, or trading anyone else on the team. If Pop is still coaching and TP is playing, it is because Pop wants it that way. And Pop only wants what Tim wants.

Doesn't mean there isn't a sense of loyalty between Pop and TP. Just means that the the sense of loyalty between Pop and TD is the first and last loyalty.

ChumpDumper
05-24-2015, 08:14 PM
False premise.

Seventyniner
05-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Fantastic post.

The bolded part echoes something I have said all along: if Pop truly thought Parker was such a downgrade from Mills or Joseph, Pop would have no hesitation in sitting Parker down. The Parker-bashing on this site has mainly stemmed from those posters who have held a grudge against Parker for years and are trying to make a narrative out of it.

apalisoc_9
05-24-2015, 09:02 PM

So much vanilla in one post.

Silver&Black
05-24-2015, 09:12 PM
So much vanilla in one post.

You're as "vanilla" as they come....

Actually, you're a step below vanilla. You're "predictable". 90% of the time I see your name...I already know what you're about to post. Something about Parker being fat, calling another poster Vanilla, calling another poster a mainstream Big 3 fan, or posting about how you will never return if Kawhi doesn't score so many fanduel points.

The other 10% is shit like should I cheat on my girlfriend.

Keep doing your thing EVAY . I agree with the other guys...it was a great post. Fuck what this faggot player fan thinks...

lefty
05-24-2015, 09:27 PM

Does he tell him, "Play him in the bench and win 6th man of the year so people think you're better than Manu?

Or would he even have the guts to reduce his role?"You are not fat. Thats not what I said"

06-07-2015, 08:18 AM
It's a make or break year for Tony next year. I hope the criticism he got from the press and the fans motivates him to come back in better condition and I hope he realizes that he's gonna have to defer more to Kawhi whether he likes it or not.

His quickness is just about gone, so it's imperative he work on his long range shooting or teams will leave him open if he's not hitting those. The Clippers did a lot of that in the first round and he failed to hit those shots more than 75% of the time.

He's gonna have to rely on his basketball smarts like other past players have when their skills begin to deteriorate.

tmtcsc
06-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Is Leonard ready to be the offensive focus of this team? I'm not so sure. I appreciate that he's improved and can take advantage of certain matchups but I'm not convinced he's ready to have the offense run through him. The Spurs were at their best in 2013-2014 when we didn't have any one person the offense ran through. We were unpredictable, shared the ball and kept defenses guessing.

Get a pg who can get easy buckets and get the team moving the ball and we are set. Is that Tony or was his injury the beginning of the end?

pjjrfan
06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I don't think Pop has any problems hurting egos when it comes to this team.

pjjrfan
06-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Agreed

wildchild
06-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Get a pg who can get easy buckets and get the team moving the ball and we are set. Is that Tony or was his injury the beginning of the end?

An injured Tony was the beginning of the Spurs "beautiful basketball".

After Parker was injured in the WCF, the Spurs were moving the ball more and more in the Finals, and probably we wouldn't have seen the emergence of Kawhi and Patty with a healthy Tony.

ducks
07-05-2015, 07:12 PM
he goes gets lma and take some of the scoring load off of him

SquawkinHawkBigCock
07-05-2015, 07:13 PM

beirmeistr
07-05-2015, 07:18 PM
a parker that passes more should be fine

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 07:46 PM
:lol As if Porker is actually going to pass to LMA

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 08:22 PM
:lol As if Porker is actually going to pass to LMA

:lol

dbreiden83080
07-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Coke and fries..

FkLA
07-05-2015, 09:57 PM
The bolded part echoes something I have said all along: if Pop truly thought Parker was such a downgrade from Mills or Joseph, Pop would have no hesitation in sitting Parker down.

:lmao

Did you not see the Clippers series? Did you not see his FG%? His advanced numbers? One of the games the Spurs stole in LA was on the back of MVPaddy. The difference between him and Paddy was monumental and Pop still didn't sit his sorry, fat ass down.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Did you not see the Clippers series? Did you not see his FG%? His advanced numbers? One of the games the Spurs stole in LA was on the back of MVPaddy. The difference between him and Paddy was monumental and Pop still didn't sit his sorry, fat ass down.

So you run Patty at PG over Parker?

You sit your fat ass down. Repeat, Patty is NOT a PG. And if you have not seen this yet I would like you to slam a car door on your head. If Patty is used at point you are misusing him and not taking advantage of his real talent on this team. Emergency or junk time only.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 10:29 PM

You sit your fat ass down. Repeat, Patty is NOT a PG. And if you have not seen this yet I would like you to slam a car door on your head. If Patty is used at point you are misusing him and not taking advantage of his real talent on this team. Emergency or junk time only.
Easy man, TPork is not a PG either.

FkLA
07-05-2015, 10:44 PM

Doesn't matter how you try to spin it. The numbers and eye test both showed that the Spurs were a better team with Paddy in place of Enrique. The job of any player, including the PG, is to help the team win. Enrique does have better handles and is more of a traditional PG (although still far from a true one) but that means jack shit if his dribble dribble is killing the team.

GSH
07-05-2015, 10:50 PM
Sonofabitch! If the Parker hate and the Manu hate could be eliminated, the volume on this board would drop by more than half. There wouldn't be anything left to talk about but basketball.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Sonofabitch! If the Parker hate and the Manu hate could be eliminated, the volume on this board would drop by more than half. There wouldn't be anything left to talk about but basketball.The Shtickstains will never let it go.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 10:56 PM
So saying Parker was terrible last year and suggesting alternative as a result of said performance is hating?

Damn Player fans terrible.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Easy man, TPork is not a PG either.

For both you and the other genius:

Who will you run at PG this season? Just answer the question without an explanation ( "no spin" so your sight limited buddy can rest easy)

The eye test... Not when one is Bball Blind.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 10:58 PM
So saying Parker was terrible last year and suggesting alternative as a result of said performance is hating?

Damn Player fans terrible.Shtickstain

2centsworth
07-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Tony can be an amazing play maker when needed. He's just been needed to be a scorer in the past.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:04 PM
For both you and the other genius:

Who will you run at PG this season?

The eye test... Not when one is Bball Blind.
Patty, Im too tired of that ¨Lets give a chance to TP to play good¨ game, that games goes from 30 to 50 games to the whole POs.
Lil Pat is in shape willing to learn and help, excellent shooter and team player.
Parker is slow predictable and with a horrible court vision, with Lamarcus on our side + Green + Duncan + Kiwi and probably Manu who the hell needs TP¡?

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 11:08 PM
eye test

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 11:09 PM

Yes, you do. I was nervous every time Porker would waddle off the floor, fat rolls jiggling as he went, and MVPatty would check in.

apalisoc_9
Patty, Im too tired of that ¨Lets give a chance to TP to play good¨ game, that games goes from 30 to 50 games to the whole POs.
Lil Pat is in shape willing to learn and help, excellent shooter and team player.
Parker is slow predictable and with a horrible court vision, with Lamarcus on our side + Green + Duncan + Kiwi and probably Manu who the hell needs TP¡?

Fast food chains to boost their sales.

Clipper Nation
Shtickstain

Snitchstain.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:10 PM

You now have a PG that can't change directions adequately while dribbling, congrats.
And you will now take his off the ball ability to hit 3s.
Further you have a primary dribbler who has a great deal of trouble getting free on his own and thrives in the open court as a runner not the handler.

Excellent choice, Patty will be elated with his new role.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Snitchstain.lol if you want to contend so forcefully that I have that much power over you, go right ahead.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Fast food chains to boost their sales.
Have you noticed he never had a single muscle in his body? even when he was skinny?

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Yes, you do. I was nervous every time Porker would waddle off the floor, fat rolls jiggling as he went, and MVPatty would check in.

Tell me why Patty makes such a good choice at point? I need qualities you see he has at point and why you want to relieve him of his real duties as a 2 guard ignition switch.

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 11:14 PM
Tell me why Patty makes such a good choice at point? I need qualities you see he has at point and why you want to relieve him of his real duties as a 2 guard ignition switch.

For one thing, he isn't the worst rotation player in the NBA. Porker is.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 11:16 PM

There are players in the Armenian league that are probably better alternatives than Porker...

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Have you noticed he never had a single muscle in his body? even when he was skinny?

Great analysis from our boys that fondle each other while discussing fat.

Oh yes, that Tim Duncan is just an ideal body builder... clueless idiots.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:17 PM
You now have a PG that can't change directions adequately while dribbling, congrats.
Further you have a primary dribbler who has a great deal of trouble getting free on his own and thrives in the open court as a runner not the handler.

Forget his 3´s those are beauties, Patty was da shit during the Playoffs much better than Parker, also he was better during #5, if he is better when it counts why couldnt be better during meaningless RS?
Patty can get better, TP cant old dogs cant learn new tricks.
Also remember he was the worst PG in the whole Playoffs.
We dont need to take risks... we are stacked.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 11:19 PM
There are players in the Armenian league that are probably better alternatives than Porker...Why are you still posting?

You guaranteed you would never post again.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:20 PM

Again what attributes does Patty have as your primary PG?

If the only thing you can say is he is better than Tony, then getting Aldridge a horrible move.

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 11:20 PM

Duncan slimmed down, as in LOSING WEIGHT, in order to continue to be effective in his old age. Porker gets fatter by the year.

I mean, really, trying to portray Duncan as a fatshit in order to prop up Porker... FOH.

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 11:22 PM

- Not morbidly obese
- Not an Armenian league benchwarmer quality player
- Not a locker room cancer
- Not obsessed with overdribbling and the two-man game to the detriment of his teammates

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 11:22 PM
How much do you guys obsessed with Parker's weight think is Parker's actual weight?

Give a number.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:23 PM

:downspin:Comparing a 40 year old PF/Center who is redefining the word ¨prime¨ to a fat finished idiot
:downspin:A 7 foot guy who needs to be thin because of his knees vs a slow 6-1 dude with no muscles slower than D-Fish.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Duncan slimmed down, as in LOSING WEIGHT, in order to continue to be effective in his old age. Porker gets fatter by the year.

I mean, really, trying to portray Duncan as a fatshit in order to prop up Porker... FOH.

But, but, Tony had no muscle even when he was skinny!
GTFO

Embedded
07-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Tony Parker has already started making the adjustment by stating it is time to pass the torch to Kawhi. You Tony Parker haters are retarded, he is doing what his coach wants him to do.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:28 PM

If the only thing you can say is he is better than Tony, then getting Aldridge a horrible move.

Answer please.

Dear ST:

These are the posters that make this site a pain on occasion.
Just bathe in the acute analysis... Porker, fat, fatfrenchie, Porker
Just excellent stuff.

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Tony Parker has already started making the adjustment by stating it is time to pass the torch to Kawhi. You Tony Parker haters are retarded, he is doing what his coach wants him to do.
He made the statement... never passed the torch.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:30 PM
- Not morbidly obese
- Not an Armenian league benchwarmer quality player
- Not a locker room cancer
- Not obsessed with overdribbling and the two-man game to the detriment of his teammates

What he is not...
Beautful.

Folks, ClipperIsland has us finishing last in the West.

Clipper Nation
07-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Unless the shotclock's running down and he just dribbled 23 seconds away looking for a scapegoat, Rique ain't passing shit :lol

Solid D
07-05-2015, 11:31 PM
This is the most idiotic thread. Just a miserable, chillingly mindless premise.

pgardn
07-05-2015, 11:32 PM

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2015, 11:34 PM
I'm going to put the Parker hate aside until November, tbh, I'll see how he looks before I judge..

Can't speak for apa or fkla or Rob, though:lol..

Mikeanaro
07-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Lol this guy is having a meltdown.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2015, 11:35 PM

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 11:39 PM

SMDH player fans are the worse.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
Unless the shotclock's running down and he just dribbled 23 seconds away looking for a scapegoat, Rique ain't passing shit :lol

FkLA
07-06-2015, 12:23 AM

lol moron

You're assuming he would've been inserted to dribble the air out of the basketball like Enrique does. Why not just allow him to play his role and get some of that famed Spurs ball movement going? Worked just fine for Paddy during the '14 Playoffs and anytime his number was called vs the Clippers. Not sure why you think dribbling around, without actually penetrating, and taking a low percentage midrange shot is vital in a PG.

Kawhi 5-0
07-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Yes, Parker's status was incredibly worrisome last season. Now that CoJo is gone, we are very exposed if the same thing happens this coming year.

The main thing is not to attack the guy. Sure, many times I pondered in my head about the Spurs trading Parker (even though I think he has a no-trade clause). While his performance last year might say "trade" to the coldly analytical mind, there are other things to consider.

First, Parker might indeed be much better this season.
Second, even if he's not, he has an intangible value and a definite value of experience.

Though I was sad to see Splitter go, it was a gamble with the payoff being Aldridge. Splitter had a rough year too. Who knows, he might thrive in Atlanta.

Trading Parker (if he agreed to that) would be trading away the possibility of him coming back into form. Splitter helped us get one ring. Tony's helped us get four.

Who would have thought Duncan would have a resurgence this late in his career? Same logic goes for Parker. If he is truly dedicated this offseason, who knows what he could do this year and beyond?

There's no doubt that Tony is/was in a slump.

For the Spurs' system to work, there must be a real connection between the players. Parker's role is unusual in that he should be attacking the defense. It's only when he's successful at this that his skills set the Spurs' wonderful passing in motion. I admit, Tony looked a little lost out there last year. Perhaps he was trying to force his old role back into the system? It should go without saying that for him to be effective at attacking the defense, he must be in tip-top shape.

It's a strange double standard which has been leveled at Parker. Splitter's injury last season also caused him to miss significant time. Though some were also quick to label Splitter soft, I recall that the actual prognosis of Splitter's injury was very mysterious. I think the reason Parker has taken so much heat (much more than Splitter did) is that Tony was really damn good until last year. We're used to Parker being lightening-quick and crafty.

I do think Parker needs to learn how to adapt. Aging is inevitable. Just because he gradually becomes a different kind of player doesn't mean he has to become worse.

I'm sure it's a conundrum for Pop from a strategic point of view. How to use Parker's current skill set in combination with the other components of the offense.

Tony's got to trust his teammates on the offensive end. In some cases this means trusting other guys to pick up the scoring slack from his speed drop-off. It really is the athleticism which Parker is battling. Hell, Kyle Anderson's battling that too and he's a young guy.

Tony's gotta play smart on the offensive and defensive ends. There's less room for error when his athleticism (primarily speed) isn't well above his competitors. He has to be disciplined and smart in his decision making. In short, he has to be part of the team. Our last championship was a total team effort. A team can sustain losses to injury and still find a way.

I'm wishing Tony the best this year. He might be more effective off the bench, though I think he and Manu play better when they're not on the court at the same time. Patty is a great spark off the bench, but I don't know if he's the steady presence we need to start games. I think CoJo was more of that player. Patty will definitely get his chance for big minutes this year. In light of last year, I'd say a third PG is essential. I hope Kawhi is ready to take a bigger role as point forward. He has good handles and excellent speed. He just needs to be confident out there. There will be some growing pains.

Cheers to everybody,

Paul

Biernutz
07-06-2015, 03:15 AM
you can't expect any thing else from apalisoc_9.....he is just a thread Parrot now.

apalisoc_9
07-06-2015, 03:38 AM
lol moron

You're assuming he would've been inserted to dribble the air out of the basketball like Enrique does. Why not just allow him to play his role and get some of that famed Spurs ball movement going? Worked just fine for Paddy during the '14 Playoffs and anytime his number was called vs the Clippers. Not sure why you think dribbling around, without actually penetrating, and taking a low percentage midrange shot is vital in a PG.

I tell you brah, these parker fans don't like seeing spurs players play good baksetball. It must be really hard since parker never play good basketball.

BillMc
07-06-2015, 03:42 AM
Yes, Parker's status was incredibly worrisome last season. Now that CoJo is gone, we are very exposed if the same thing happens this coming year.

The main thing is not to attack the guy. Sure, many times I pondered in my head about the Spurs trading Parker (even though I think he has a no-trade clause). While his performance last year might say "trade" to the coldly analytical mind, there are other things to consider.

First, Parker might indeed be much better this season.
Second, even if he's not, he has an intangible value and a definite value of experience.

Though I was sad to see Splitter go, it was a gamble with the payoff being Aldridge. Splitter had a rough year too. Who knows, he might thrive in Atlanta.

Trading Parker (if he agreed to that) would be trading away the possibility of him coming back into form. Splitter helped us get one ring. Tony's helped us get four.

Who would have thought Duncan would have a resurgence this late in his career? Same logic goes for Parker. If he is truly dedicated this offseason, who knows what he could do this year and beyond?

There's no doubt that Tony is/was in a slump.

For the Spurs' system to work, there must be a real connection between the players. Parker's role is unusual in that he should be attacking the defense. It's only when he's successful at this that his skills set the Spurs' wonderful passing in motion. I admit, Tony looked a little lost out there last year. Perhaps he was trying to force his old role back into the system? It should go without saying that for him to be effective at attacking the defense, he must be in tip-top shape.

It's a strange double standard which has been leveled at Parker. Splitter's injury last season also caused him to miss significant time. Though some were also quick to label Splitter soft, I recall that the actual prognosis of Splitter's injury was very mysterious. I think the reason Parker has taken so much heat (much more than Splitter did) is that Tony was really damn good until last year. We're used to Parker being lightening-quick and crafty.

I do think Parker needs to learn how to adapt. Aging is inevitable. Just because he gradually becomes a different kind of player doesn't mean he has to become worse.

I'm sure it's a conundrum for Pop from a strategic point of view. How to use Parker's current skill set in combination with the other components of the offense.

Tony's got to trust his teammates on the offensive end. In some cases this means trusting other guys to pick up the scoring slack from his speed drop-off. It really is the athleticism which Parker is battling. Hell, Kyle Anderson's battling that too and he's a young guy.

Tony's gotta play smart on the offensive and defensive ends. There's less room for error when his athleticism (primarily speed) isn't well above his competitors. He has to be disciplined and smart in his decision making. In short, he has to be part of the team. Our last championship was a total team effort. A team can sustain losses to injury and still find a way.

I'm wishing Tony the best this year. He might be more effective off the bench, though I think he and Manu play better when they're not on the court at the same time. Patty is a great spark off the bench, but I don't know if he's the steady presence we need to start games. I think CoJo was more of that player. Patty will definitely get his chance for big minutes this year. In light of last year, I'd say a third PG is essential. I hope Kawhi is ready to take a bigger role as point forward. He has good handles and excellent speed. He just needs to be confident out there. There will be some growing pains.

Cheers to everybody,

Paul

That was another really nice post Paul. Thanks:toast FWIW, I don't think he has a no trade clause. They're pretty rare and I've only heard of Duncan having one among Spurs players.

It'd be great to have a discussion about how Tony should adjust his game (and minutes) as he ages. Unfortunately, when these discussions start they tend to turn into the endless Parker hate threads. Hard to believe given he's a future HOFer and one of the 5 or so best Spurs ever. Tony was All NBA only a year ago, and was considered at his peak only 2 years ago.

As has been stated many times, as Tony's speed declines he'll have to work on expanding his shooting range to give him space. It's evident he's done that. He's changed his diet and off season work habits. We'll see how this affects him. What else can he do as he ages? How did Kidd and Nash remain effective until their last 30's?

Kawhi 5-0
07-06-2015, 06:32 AM
That was another really nice post Paul. Thanks:toast FWIW, I don't think he has a no trade clause. They're pretty rare and I've only heard of Duncan having one among Spurs players.

It'd be great to have a discussion about how Tony should adjust his game (and minutes) as he ages. Unfortunately, when these discussions start they tend to turn into the endless Parker hate threads. Hard to believe given he's a future HOFer and one of the 5 or so best Spurs ever. Tony was All NBA only a year ago, and was considered at his peak only 2 years ago.

As has been stated many times, as Tony's speed declines he'll have to work on expanding his shooting range to give him space. It's evident he's done that. He's changed his diet and off season work habits. We'll see how this affects him. What else can he do as he ages? How did Kidd and Nash remain effective until their last 30's?

Thanks Bill!

All I know is that the Spurs have successfully adapted over the years from a defense-first mentality into a team where sharing the ball is their hallmark. I could see Tony taking on more of a shooting guard role in the half-court. He's more likely to lose his man from defensive laziness on the part of the opposing team. Off-the-ball picks. Running him off multiple screens. Hopefully you get opposing PGs caught playing the play and not the man.

Of course, Parker isn't really a shooter. This would entail plays-within-plays. If Parker gets the ball as a result of his off the ball movement and he's stranded in a jump shooting situation there has to be more off the ball movement.

It just seems to me that Parker was not particularly effective in the screen-and-roll last year.

Parker should probably be looking to be a "pass first" player on offense. That would certainly be a transition for him. It comes naturally to Diaw. Manu certainly seems to relish a similar mentality. Only problem with Manu is that he seems bored unless the degree of difficulty is very high.

I think the Spurs' system is basically the antithesis of the "isolation ball" we saw from Lebron in the Finals. Granted, Cleveland didn't have a lot of options, but it's ugly to watch that kind of brute force approach. At any rate, the Spurs don't have a player as offensively dominant as James.

No doubt the offense here is going to change with Aldridge on board. Even so, ball movement still remains top priority. When the ball "sticks" in one place the defense gets a breather. Parker has to be smarter at spotting mismatches. That's the kind of quarterbacking we need from him. Our most likely mismatches will be ones with Leonard in the post and ones involving Aldridge. Duncan will have his share of mismatches. I think Tony has to realize that he will probably not be the one with the mismatch most of the time.

Parker is probably the most reliable ball-handler on the team. After a made basket by the opposing team, he should probably bring the ball up if he's in the game. In the half-court, the default should probably be getting Leonard the ball ASAP. Leonard's athleticism gives him the best chance of beating people off the dribble and causing the defense to overreact. I guess Parker would be a secondary facilitator--a pass-first off-the-ball option. Parker's more likely to beat his man off the dribble if someone's scrambling to close out on him. Tony's 3 pt. FG% was pretty good last year (even if he didn't take that many). I think Boris leverages his range well. Tony could learn some stuff from Diaw. A good ball fake and the close out man has to commit to contesting a shot or staying down. If Tony shoots an occasional 3 it will keep the defense honest. Our offense was so out of sync last year that Boris settled for too many 3s.

--Paul

james evans
07-06-2015, 10:05 AM
then he still refuses to pass him the ball on fast breaks.

kaji157
07-06-2015, 11:17 AM
IF Leonard learns how to run an offense, and that is a BIG if, we will startup with Leonard - Aldridge pick and roll. And then whatever the defense gives you.

TDomination
07-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Parker growing out the hair

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj511/sambaez513/Capture.png (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/sambaez513/media/Capture.png.html)

Mouth is Bleeding
07-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Pop is like this

:lol:lol:lol

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Parker growing out the hair

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj511/sambaez513/Capture.png (http://s1265.photobucket.com/user/sambaez513/media/Capture.png.html)fauxhawk?

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Fuck, growing the hair out on top is a move often done to slim the face, tbh..ugh..

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Fuck, growing the hair out on top is a move often done to slim the face, tbh..ugh..How much are you saying Parker actually weighs now?

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 02:30 PM
How much are you saying Parker actually weighs now?

How would I know?

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 02:32 PM
How would I know?You study every picture of him with a jeweler's loop.

Not even a guess?

You say he's overweight -- well, how much do you think he weighs?

cantthinkofanything
07-06-2015, 02:34 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/kgomni/Presentation1_zps4j59qp3c.jpg

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 02:34 PM
You study every picture of him with a jeweler's loop.

Not even a guess?

:lol noticing that he's growing his hair out(you did first, btw) is studying him?

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 02:35 PM
:lol noticing that he's growing his hair out(you did first, btw) is studying him?Someone else did.

Feel free to ask your krew for help. I know this may call for some game planning.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2015, 02:39 PM
Someone else did.

I think he was out of shape during the season, pretty obvious IMO, not a coincidence that Parker has changed his entire off-season training regiment:lol..

Popovich expressed confidence Parker will bounce back next season.

"Tony didn't have the year that he wanted to have," he said. "But he's had a lot of good ones and I can tell you he's already thinking about what he wants to do with his body for next season. I'm thrilled about his outlook already after a tough loss

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 02:40 PM
I think he was out of shape during the season, pretty obvious IMO, not a coincidence that Parker has changed his entire off-season training regiment:lol..

Popovich expressed confidence Parker will bounce back next season.

"Tony didn't have the year that he wanted to have," he said. "But he's had a lot of good ones and I can tell you he's already thinking about what he wants to do with his body for next season. I'm thrilled about his outlook already after a tough lossNo, you have been saying all along that he is overweight.

Well, how much do you think he weighs?

pgardn
07-06-2015, 06:38 PM
lol moron

Read my list again ya GD squash for brains and tell me why you would use Patty at point ?Where he clearly does not belong for extended periods like Parker. If you think using Patty at point over Tony is going to solve what was clearly our weak spot in the playoffs last year, then you need not watch the games and forget the playoffs.

Once again for the mentally handicapped...

pgardn
07-06-2015, 06:41 PM

Refute please.

Clipper Nation
07-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Fuck, growing the hair out on top is a move often done to slim the face, tbh..ugh..
:lmao He's also wearing as much black clothing as possible to hide the fat rolls.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 07:06 PM
:lmao He's also wearing as much black clothing as possible to hide the fat rolls.How much do you say Parker weighs now?

You've had time to game plan it.

apalisoc_9
07-06-2015, 07:10 PM
:lmao He's also wearing as much black clothing as possible to hide the fat rolls.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2015, 07:11 PM
:lmaoSo how much do you say Parker weighs right now?