PDA

View Full Version : What's the delay on Devin?

lotr1trekkie
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
How much more time do the Spurs have to make a decision? Midnight???

The stretching of the time seems to me to indicate they are working on some sort of a deal. Any ideas what might be going down?

Big Pimp_21
09-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I think they have until 3:00pm today to match.

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
They wanted to delay this as much as possible just in case if someone got injured, they would try to get him. I doubt the Spurs will match it.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
This is a sad day in Spurs' history, if they indeed do not match. Hopefully such a move won't come back to haunt them next season.

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 11:20 AM
This is a sad day in Spurs' history, if they indeed do not match. Hopefully such a move won't come back to haunt them next season.
I doubt if he would stay, he'd play very much minutes. So that wouldn't do him or the team any good.

And we should all have faith in the Spurs and management that they know better than us. And they know what's better for the team, because they're just professionals, and we aren't.

Big Pimp_21
09-09-2005, 11:22 AM
I say he plays 2 years in Mormanville, then comes back to SA as a free agent. By that time, we should have the $$$ and the playing time to accomodate him. I hate to see him go, but I wish him luck and hope he gets to play more than he would here.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I doubt if he would stay, he'd play very much minutes. So that wouldn't do him or the team any good.

'cept the Spurs would have him around should they lose Finley next summer. I'm not too comfortable with a 34 year old Brent Barry as the top swing backup. NVE is probably only going to play 1 season. Why lose a great guy over a few bucks? Fuck being cheap.

Devin Brown knows how to play basketball. If he doesn't see extended minutes for a season that's not going to hurt him.

And we should all have faith in the Spurs and management that they know better than us. And they know what's better for the team, because they're just professionals, and we aren't.

But of course. Just bear in mind that some basketball "professional" once upon a time thought that Yinka Dare was a professional basketball player and that Evan Eschemeyer was worth twenty million dollars.

The Spurs' front office has made their share of mistakes over the years.

DesiSpur_21
09-09-2005, 11:31 AM

I don't know how it's going to haunt Spurs if he is let go. Is it like we are allowing Manu's type of player to walk away. I like Devin as most people do, but it doesn't make sense for both parties - business and bball wise.

2centsworth
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
'cept the Spurs would have him around should they lose Finley next summer. I'm not too comfortable with a 34 year old Brent Barry as the top swing backup. NVE is probably only going to play 1 season. Why lose a great guy over a few bucks? Fuck being cheap.

Devin Brown knows how to play basketball. If he doesn't see extended minutes for a season that's not going to hurt him.

But of course. Just bear in mind that some basketball "professional" once upon a time thought that Yinka Dare was a professional basketball player and that Evan Eschemeyer was worth twenty million dollars.

The Spurs' front office has made their share of mistakes over the years.

The thinking is that there will always be Devin Brown type players available every year in free agency. For example, this year had James Jones, Maurice Evans, Devin Brown etc..

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't know how it's going to haunt Spurs if he is let go. Is it like we are allowing Manu's type of player to walk away. I like Devin as most people do, but it doesn't make sense for both parties - business and bball wise.

It certainly makes sense for the Spurs from a bball view. You have old guys on short term contracts in your swing rotation.

Kip Fanatic
09-09-2005, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if a trade goes down, but I doubt it. The greedy/selfish part of me says to match, but that's not fair to Devin because he wants to play more minutes. I don't see that happening for him if he stays here.

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
I agree Brown is a great team player, and has an amazing disposition, and I'm sure Pop knows that.

But maybe it's all for the best... It'll do him and the Spurs good, if they sign him back nxt year, because he'll be a little better developed and experienced if he gets to play more. Sitting in the Spurs bench won't help him in that respect.

DesiSpur_21
09-09-2005, 11:43 AM
It certainly makes sense for the Spurs from a bball view. You have old guys on short term contracts in your swing rotation.

That's exactly Spurs want - Wait for a better deal on Barry's Contract and Finley's short term contract to expire - Target a young SF (it could be Devin in 2 yrs) and throw in a decent money. The current bench of Barry,Finely,NVE is built for a 2-yr strategy.

As 2centsworth put it, you'd always find guys like Devin.

Pistonfan1
09-09-2005, 11:43 AM

Cry cry cry thats all you are doing you ungrateful prick. You diss your management etc etc yet your the world champs. It disgusts me that you are talking like that shame on you. Just quit being a spurs fan if you are so damn unhappy with the moves they make :rolleyes.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
The thinking is that there will always be Devin Brown type players available every year in free agency. For example, this year had James Jones, Maurice Evans, Devin Brown etc..

How much did those guys cost? How are the Spurs supposed to bring in Scola next summer, or retain Finley, if they have to use that $ to bring in someone else?

NVE is only going to be around a season, I feel.

There is a spot for DBrown in SA long-term.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Cry cry cry thats all you are doing you ungrateful prick. You diss your management etc etc yet your the world champs. It disgusts me that you are talking like that shame on you. Just quit being a spurs fan if you are so damn unhappy with the moves they make :rolleyes.

Suck a cock, bitch.

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
Bitter much?

He's just offering his opinion. I don't see how he's dissing the Spurs or its management. Idiot.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Let's not forget that DBrown would've likely been the 3rd swing in the rotation over Barry last playoffs. It is never good to lose talent for nothing, especially with so many at his position under short term deals and near the end of their careers.

2centsworth
09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
You might be right. However, Spurs have a pretty good habit of developing guys like Devin and SJAX. But I have no problems with them signing him for the long-term. It leads me to wonder if his back is alright? One year contract offer with a team option, smells like lets see if your back is ok.

spurster
09-09-2005, 12:15 PM
http://chris.pirillo.com/_attachments/409562/sad.jpg

sickdsm
09-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Since someone mentioned possibly a deal going on and prior to this people were mentioning Ebi as a long 3 for the future to replace Bruce,

Would you if you could?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Again,

You let him go to Utah for a year, prove his back is healthy, get some experience, then bring him back down the road.

Bruno
09-09-2005, 12:49 PM
How much did those guys cost? How are the Spurs supposed to bring in Scola next summer, or retain Finley, if they have to use that $ to bring in someone else?

NVE is only going to be around a season, I feel.

Nobody knows on this board the length of Finley's contract (1,2 or 3 years).
I don't think Devin has a spot in SA.
Devin is a great guy but is too short to replace Bruce and Manu is a lock at starting SG.
Evans sign for $1.5M with detroit (good signing for them).
Next summer, they will have other free agent like Jumaine Jones.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Obviously the reason for the delay is because they have been looking to deal someone in order to keep him. But I don't think they are going to be able to get a deal done. Good luck to Devin. If Finley's contract is only one season (as reported) and they could have gotten rid of Barry's contract, Devin would have really been worth keeping.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Jazz camp in Boise, hopefully with Brown

By Linda Hamilton
Deseret Morning News

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,605153203,00.html

The Utah Jazz — who should learn today if the San Antonio Spurs will match their offer sheet for restricted free-agent guard Devin Brown — have announced they will hold their preseason training camp at the Taco Bell Arena on the campus of Boise State University in Boise, Idaho, starting Oct. 4.

The Jazz will hold daily practices in Boise Oct. 4-7, with the workouts closed to both public and media.

They hope to have the 6-foot-5, 26-year-old shooting guard Brown with them after signing him to a two-year offer sheet last week. The Spurs had seven days to match the Jazz deal, which was reportedly for $2.5 million this season and slightly more for a second year, which would be at the Jazz's option.

The seven days is up today.

San Antonio recently signed Dallas free-agent shooting guard Michael Finley and already has Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry who can play at that position, in addition to Brown. The Spurs will be into luxury-tax territory, meaning it could cost them almost twice as much as the Jazz offer to keep Brown, who is a full-time San Antonio resident but was born in Ogden and still has family there.

Brown will hold his own relief drive Saturday in San Antonio for victims of Hurricane Katrina, said his agent, Darrick Powell. Powell said Brown will donate his own money, ask for matching contributions from corporations and take donations of things like disposable diapers and milk from the public.

"If Utah Jazz get this kid, they're getting more than a basketball player," Powell said. "This guy has done a lot in the community, especially with the kids and family. He's very adamant about that." :)

MannyIsGod
09-09-2005, 01:03 PM
:lol @ Marcus make it seem as though the four horseman are about to swing down and start the apacolypse because Devin is not in SA.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Again,

You let him go to Utah for a year, prove his back is healthy, get some experience, then bring him back down the road.

Utah keeps him for two years and then locks him up long term.

Again, you lose talent for nothing and talent that could be quite necessary next offseason, if not during the upcoming season.

Fuck being cheap.

sickdsm
09-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Again, would you s&t Brown for Ebi?

You have an entire year to evaluate the guy that apparently you were ready to draft a few years ago.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 01:59 PM

You have an entire year to evaluate the guy that apparently you were ready to draft a few years ago.

I don't believe they could sign and trade him, but a straight up trade could be a possibility, when Brown is eligible to be traded.

sickdsm
09-09-2005, 02:00 PM
i was pretty sure they could S&T but just not to Utah.

Bruno
09-09-2005, 02:02 PM

I don't know if a team is allowed to do a S&T after a player dign an offer sheet with a third team.
Ebi for Brown doesn't work (Ebi salary is not enough).
More players should be included something like :
Rasho+Devin for kandiman and Ebi.

callo1
09-09-2005, 02:05 PM
they will hold their preseason training camp at the Taco Bell Arena

http://www.everwonder.com/david/tacobell/2.jpg
No quiero Taco Bell Devin !!

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 02:07 PM
He signed the deal with Utah. You can't change the terms of the contract. But if the Spurs match then the Spurs could trade him whenever they can trade one of their own free agents who they re-signed, which is immediately, IIRC.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 02:12 PM
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#84

84. When can't a player be traded? Can players be given "no-trade" clauses in their contracts?

A "no-trade" clause can be negotiated into an individual contract if the player has been in the NBA for at least eight seasons, and has played for the team with which he is signing for at least four seasons. They don't have to be the immediately prior four seasons -- for example, Horace Grant got a no-trade clause from Orlando when he signed with them in 2001. He had played for Orlando for four seasons, but had played for Seattle and Los Angeles in the interim. Very few players actually have one of these no-trade provisions. Otherwise, individually negotiated contracts may not contain no-trade clauses. The no-trade clause prevents the team from making a trade involving the player without the player's consent.

In addition, teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances:

For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the player is being traded in combination with other players. However, the team is free to trade the player by himself (not packaged with other players) immediately. This two-month restriction applies only to teams over the salary cap. (Also see question number 71 for a special case where players can be traded together in less than two months.)

When the trading deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option.

For three months or until December 15th of that season (whichever is later) after signing a contract as a free agent or draft rookie. (Note: This does not apply to players who sign contract extensions or who renegotiate their existing contracts. These players may be traded immediately.)

When the player is playing under a one-year contract and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the contract. Note: This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season.

For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent (however, the player can consent to a trade to any team except the team that tried to sign him).

After claiming a player on waivers, for 30 days if the player was claimed during a season, or until the first day of the next season if the player was claimed during the offseason.

A team cannot reacquire a player they traded away during that season (a season being July 1 - June 30) unless the player has been waived.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the first bullet item above. A lot of media mistakenly report that a player cannot be re-traded for two months under any circumstances, even by himself. This is not true -- Danny Manning's trade from Phoenix to Orlando, and soon thereafter to Milwaukee is one example of the correct application of this trade rule. Other media reports confuse the sign-and-trade rule with this one, claiming that the player can be re-traded within 48 hours or after 60 days, but not in between.
The fourth bullet item above (players with one-year contracts can't be traded if they will be a Bird or Early Bird free agent) has an interesting implication. If a player has a two-year contract, but the second year is an option year, then the league treats it like a one-year contract and does not allow the player to be traded. If the option is exercised and the contract becomes a true two-year contract, then the player is tradeable. The Phoenix Suns had to exercise their team option on Corrie Blount before trading him to Golden State on 1/26/01.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 02:21 PM
So basically if another team has an interest in Brown, the Spurs can match and then if he agrees the Spurs can trade him to that team. Any team except the Jazz.

Pistonfan1
09-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Suck a cock, bitch.

:rolleyes wow nice comeback. Those comments alone proves I am right. Your welcome

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Actually, it proves that your comments do not warrant a real response.

Pistonfan1
09-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Actually, it proves that your comments do not warrant a real response.

:lol Denial

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Denial about what? Pointing out that team management and ownership just let talent walk without any compensation whatsoever?

Just remember 2005. Another championship banner the Pistons won't be getting.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Utah keeps him for two years and then locks him up long term.

Again, you lose talent for nothing and talent that could be quite necessary next offseason, if not during the upcoming season.

Fuck being cheap.

You're proving quite the hypocrite. All those years you argued with Ghost Writer about being fiscally responsible, and now you're nutting yourself over the Spurs not ponying up 5 million a year for their 12th man. Ironic to say the least.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 04:05 PM
I argued with Ghost about being critical about moves that were not possible per the collective bargaining agreement.

Try again.