PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Down 0-3 and finally ready to play themselves some basketball.

midnightpulp
05-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Right, Cub?

Poolboy5623
05-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Clutch City

Caltex2
05-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Nope Choke City. No coming back from 0-3 down.

Anyways, the Rockets did extremely well in the first two games, continual defensive lapses aside, so aside from Game 3, they've been ready to play from the get go.

KaiRMD1
05-25-2015, 09:31 PM
If Rockets were to do the impossible and come back from an 0-3 hole, would they be the all time best comeback team of all time?

Caltex2
05-25-2015, 09:34 PM
They wouldn't even be the all-time comeback team in franchise history. At least two teams were better (they faced numerous future Hall of Famers and greater odds).

1983 NC State [Expletive] is also up there.

Bulaien999
05-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Concussed airball tbh

DMC
05-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure you Rocket fans will be eerily silent at the end of game 5.

Caltex2
05-25-2015, 11:22 PM
We're pretty sure. But as for now "how sweet it is!"

LnGrrrR
05-26-2015, 01:09 AM
If Rockets were to do the impossible and come back from an 0-3 hole, would they be the all time best comeback team of all time?

No team will ever beat the 2004 Red Sox. Too much stuff there... history, rivals, ridiculous endings, extra innings, etc etc. The only thing that lessens it slightly is that it (obviously) wasn't for the World Series. You would need some confluence of events to top that impact (ie Lakers/Celtics 0-3 comeback with multiple OT games).

Splits
05-26-2015, 01:10 AM
No team will ever beat the 2004 Red Sox. Too much stuff there... history, rivals, ridiculous endings, extra innings, etc etc. The only thing that lessens it slightly is that it (obviously) wasn't for the World Series. You would need some confluence of events to top that impact (ie Lakers/Celtics 0-3 comeback with multiple OT games).

:lmao American Cricket comparisons

We're talking about sports here

Clipper Nation
05-26-2015, 01:11 AM
Last year's Kings will always be the best comeback team of all time. #ItWas3-0

Sean Cagney
05-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Nope Choke City. No coming back from 0-3 down.

Anyways, the Rockets did extremely well in the first two games, continual defensive lapses aside, so aside from Game 3, they've been ready to play from the get go.

I agree, could be either way 3-1. In reality I thought 2-2 at this point and they almost got game 2 so it almost played out that way. 3-1 is doable when you think of it being the last series but that would mean 4 in a row and that is likely not happening anytime soon. You never know though, some time in the history of the game it has to happen correct?

In reality I think it is over Weds, but a part of me wants to see a good WCF and it drag on a few more games. When bball is over what do we have? Baseball? Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Boston did it as well in 2004, like baseball or not that was a hell of a feat for them to come back in the 9th inning down 3-0 in a series and pull it off and win 4 straight.

We're talking about sports hereI am not a huge fan of baseball anymore but I am pretty sure it is a Sport. Try hitting a 98 mile per hour fast ball coming at you, sure it's pretty hard to do.

Splits
Hey, remember the time Rowdy Roddy Piper beat Andre the Giant? EPIC

Clipper Nation

^ Self-loathing wannabe-Euro faggot who hates American sports (but still watches them) ^

LnGrrrR
05-26-2015, 01:38 AM

Still not the best ever. There's no real rivalry there, not the Finals, Houston isn't one of the marquee teams in the league, etc etc.

TampaDude
05-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Yeah, the Red Sox had just gotten shellacked 19-8 in Game 3, too...that series was OVER...and then it wasn't...and then it was. No miracle needed...Boston's pitching was vastly superior overall, and once the Yankees bats went quiet, series Boston.

It will happen again someday, too. Also, the Red Sox have been the most dangerous team when down 3-1...they live for that shit. I remember the 2008 ALCS...the Rays had them down 3-1 and it took all 7 games for them to put the Red Sox away.

TampaDude
05-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Still not the best ever. There's no real rivalry there, not the Finals, Houston isn't one of the marquee teams in the league, etc etc.

2004 was fitting revenge for 2003 and Aaron "who the hell is that guy?" Boone.

Clipper Nation
05-26-2015, 11:21 AM
It will happen again someday, too.
It's already happened twice since then.

:lol Bruins
:lol Sharts

Also, the Red Wings and Penguins managed to blow 3-0 leads decades before the Yankees did it.

TampaDude
05-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Also, the Red Wings and Penguins managed to blow 3-0 leads decades before the Yankees did it.

I was talking about baseball, though.

whitemamba
05-26-2015, 11:42 AM
saw some live. Epic

LnGrrrR
05-26-2015, 11:46 AM

Yeah, not sure why it's more "commonplace" in hockey. (Still rare obviously, but not as rare.)

TampaDude
05-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Yeah, not sure why it's more "commonplace" in hockey. (Still rare obviously, but not as rare.)

Lower scoring game, maybe? Easier to come back from 4-2 than 70-35.

Kool Bob Love
05-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Keep the poverty hockey talk in the hockey forum. Oh wait, that horseshit isn't even worth its own forum.

therealtruth
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
I agree, could be either way 3-1. In reality I thought 2-2 at this point and they almost got game 2 so it almost played out that way. 3-1 is doable when you think of it being the last series but that would mean 4 in a row and that is likely not happening anytime soon. You never know though, some time in the history of the game it has to happen correct?

In reality I think it is over Weds, but a part of me wants to see a good WCF and it drag on a few more games. When bball is over what do we have? Baseball? Ehhhhhhhhhhh.

Boston did it as well in 2004, like baseball or not that was a hell of a feat for them to come back in the 9th inning down 3-0 in a series and pull it off and win 4 straight.I am not a huge fan of baseball anymore but I am pretty sure it is a Sport. Try hitting a 98 mile per hour fast ball coming at you, sure it's pretty hard to do.

I think the reason it doesn't happen is if you're good enough to win 4 straight what are the chances of losing 3 straight? The only way I could see it happen is if someone got injured or someone came back from injury.

Caltex2
05-27-2015, 12:39 AM
If the Rockets do somehow pull this off, it would not be an understatement to say it would be the biggest upset in the history of sports. The Rockets weren't even supposed to make it this far.

LnGrrrR
05-27-2015, 01:14 AM
If the Rockets do somehow pull this off, it would not be an understatement to say it would be the biggest upset in the history of sports. The Rockets weren't even supposed to make it this far.

No matter how many times you say this, it doesn't make it true. Rockets haven't gone 80+ years without a championship. They aren't playing their historical rivals. They aren't deciding games in extra innings/overtime. Oh, and on top of it, no team has come back from being down 3-0 since.

Sean Cagney
05-27-2015, 02:44 AM
2004 was fitting revenge for 2003 and Aaron "who the hell is that guy?" Boone.

I still remember Boones HR man, that was a killer for Boston being beat by their rivals like that.

Caltex2
05-27-2015, 09:23 AM
No matter how many times you say this, it doesn't make it true. Rockets haven't gone 80+ years without a championship. They aren't playing their historical rivals. They aren't deciding games in extra innings/overtime. Oh, and on top of it, no team has come back from being down 3-0 since.

I understand the Red Sox were jinxed against the Yankees and oh yeah, no team ever came back from 3-0 down. The Rockets would have to come back against the MVP of the league and one of the 15-20 best teams, by regular season accomplishment, in the history of the NBA. And they'd have to win twice in the toughest arena to win at in the NBA.

midnightpulp
05-27-2015, 09:41 AM
I understand the Red Sox were jinxed against the Yankees and oh yeah, no team ever came back from 3-0 down. The Rockets would have to come back against the MVP of the league and one of the 15-20 best teams, by regular season accomplishment, in the history of the NBA. And they'd have to win twice in the toughest arena to win at in the NBA.

Baseball is a bit different, in that teams never beat teams in sense. Even though the '04 Yankees weren't as dominant as the Golden State Warriors from a team standpoint, they had Mariano Rivera, who blew back-to-back saves, something that he's never done in his post-season career. The statistical unlikelihood of beating Rivera consecutively was in itself astronomical. Factor that into the additional statistical unlikelihood of coming back from 0-3, and you have the most improbable comeback in the history of sports.

If the Rockets pull it off, it'll definitely rank top 5, though.

However, if Houston does something bizarre, like come back from 3 consecutive 15-20 point 4th quarter deficits (beating Rivera is somewhat analogous to that) , then we'll have a debate.

Caltex2
05-27-2015, 09:49 AM
What's the statistical odds of winning at a loud arena only 3 teams have won at all season twice against one of best teams of all-time, by record anyways? It would be improbable by definition if the Rockets even got it to a Game 7 (only 3 NBA teams in 70 years have done so after being down 3-0).

LnGrrrR
05-27-2015, 09:54 AM

I didn't even mention that the Yankees just went to the World Series the year before... (They lost to the Marlins, so they weren't champs.) AND they did it after a 7 game series the year before, in which the Sox lost in extra innings in the 7th game, with Wakefield giving up the hit after coming in on short rest after dominating them in Game 4. Game 7 was the famous game where Grady left Martinez in too long, which got him fired, which led to Tito Francona taking over the job and leading us to the 2004 title. There was a ridiculous amount of layers to the Sox comeback in 2004. It will never be topped, if you're counting all sports. If you're just counting NBA, yeah, it's probably at the top or at least near it.

midnightpulp
05-27-2015, 10:05 AM
What's the statistical odds of winning at a loud arena only 3 teams have won at all season twice against one of best teams of all-time, by record anyways? It would be improbable by definition if the Rockets even got it to a Game 7 (only 3 NBA teams in 70 years have done so after being down 3-0).

Well, we only have this post-season to use as a sample size. We can't really appeal to their regular season mark, since the post-season is pretty much a different animal. Memphis did manage to win there, so it is possible.

In the Rivera example, he had 1 blown save over 9 years, and was something like 32 and 1 before the Sox cracked him twice-in-a-row.

Thread
05-27-2015, 10:07 AM
In the Rivera example, he had 1 blown save over 9 years, and was something like 32 and 1 before the Sox cracked him twice-in-a-row.

The D'Backs cracked him as well. I ain't ever heard the end of that, trust me.

midnightpulp
05-27-2015, 10:08 AM

That bloop single.

Caltex2
05-27-2015, 10:11 AM
I didn't even mention that the Yankees just went to the World Series the year before... (They lost to the Marlins, so they weren't champs.) AND they did it after a 7 game series the year before, in which the Sox lost in extra innings in the 7th game, with Wakefield giving up the hit after coming in on short rest after dominating them in Game 4. Game 7 was the famous game where Grady left Martinez in too long, which got him fired, which led to Tito Francona taking over the job and leading us to the 2004 title. There was a ridiculous amount of layers to the Sox comeback in 2004. It will never be topped, if you're counting all sports. If you're just counting NBA, yeah, it's probably at the top or at least near it.

Sigh, what's your point Boston homer? A Rockets comeback in this series would be virtually the same as a Red Sox comeback in improbability. Take off the green shades, break the Shelagh and eat the shamrock with your dinner.

Thread
05-27-2015, 10:15 AM
That bloop single.

Yep, rarely a regular season home game goes by that they don't show the billboard out in center field citing that WS. Not a gd thing I can do but sit there on that Lazy Boy and seeth.

Girl had run me off from the house that nite during the game,,,I drove over to 75th Avenue, parked behind the Staples there, too nervous to turn on the radio. I'm sittin' there in the pitch dark when all the sudden there are fireworks going off in the neighborhood to my back. I see 'em in the rear view mirror. I'm thinkin' who the fuck is lighting fireworks off in October. Then it dawned on me. I turn on the radio. Fuck! I drive home, walk in & there's the old lady: "Woo Hoo!!!"

midnightpulp
05-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Yep, rarely a regular season home game goes by that they don't show the billboard out in center field citing that WS. Not a gd thing I can do but sit there on that Lazy Boy and seeth.

Girl had run me off from the house that nite during the game,,,I drove over to 75th Avenue, parked behind the Staples there, too nervous to turn on the radio. I'm sittin' there in the pitch dark when all the sudden there are fireworks going off in the neighborhood to my back. I see 'em in the rear view mirror. I'm thinkin' who the fuck is lighting fireworks off in October. Then it dawned on me. I turn on the radio. Fuck! I drive home, walk in & there's the old lady: "Woo Hoo!!!"

They ain't much now, so you're good.

Thread
05-27-2015, 10:18 AM
They ain't much now, so you're good.

Oh, it's great too. Though they still have a mouth on 'em. Always sniping at the Dodgers.

midnightpulp
05-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Oh, it's great too. Though they still have a mouth on 'em. Always sniping at the Dodgers.

We have a way of putting them in their place, much like my Spurs have a way of putting the Suns in their place. Regrettably, they've (DBacks) scratched more recently than us.

Clipper Nation
05-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Luis

Clipper Nation
05-27-2015, 11:50 AM

"Gonzalez digs in at the plate... and a little blooper, base hit! Diamondbacks win! They're the World Champions! Gonzalez did it! The Diamondbacks have unseated the New York Yankees as the World Champions! Folks, it doesn't get any better than that. Honk your horns, stomp your feet. Celebrate in Arizona! The Diamondbacks have won the World Series."

Thread
05-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Luis

He'd roided up so gd mighty he was able to muscle that thing into the outfield.

Not a gd thing I could do, but, take it. & oh, yeah, they have him on the radio once a month, they go on & on about it. That's when I come on here and attack somebody ad hoc. It's either that, or, beat Girl.

A couple years ago when Puig showed up on the coast it just pissed the D'Backs off. They come here for a series early on and they send Gonzalez over to Puig to bait him. He told Gonzo to get lost, well, vamoose in his vernacular. You'd a thought somebody died or lost money. Gonzo cried and pissed & moaned and the radio station was incensed and outraged.

Clipper Nation
05-27-2015, 12:26 PM
He'd roided up so gd mighty he was able to muscle that thing into the outfield.
Had nothing to do with roids. Rivera set the stage with that Little League throwing error trying to throw out David Delluci at second. Then on the penultimate play, the Yankees brought the infield in, even though Rivera's tendency to throw inside to lefties left him susceptible to giving up bloop singles in the shallow outfield. McCarver called it right before it happened.

McCarver

Luis

Thread
05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Had nothing to do with roids. Rivera set the stage with that Little League throwing error trying to throw out David Delluci at second. Then on the penultimate play, the Yankees brought the infield in, even though Rivera's tendency to throw inside to lefties left him susceptible to giving up bloop singles in the shallow outfield. McCarver called it right before it happened.

McCarver

Luis

You're right.

Clipper Nation
05-27-2015, 12:38 PM
You're right.
lmcorrectao!!!

LnGrrrR
05-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Sigh, what's your point Boston homer? A Rockets comeback in this series would be virtually the same as a Red Sox comeback in improbability. Take off the green shades, break the Shelagh and eat the shamrock with your dinner.

Obviously I'm a homer, but so are you. An impartial observer would look at the storied history of the Sox and Yankees, the way stuff happened in 2003, the dramatic storylines to the 2004 ALCS (remember Schilling's bloody red sock?), and I think it would be relatively easy to state that comeback is "greater". Heck, even statistically it's likely more impressive... baseball has been around a lot longer than basketball, after all. (Though the numbers might be somewhat similar, due to the NBA having more rounds... someone would have to do the same.)

Bynumite
05-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Pretty sure you Rocket fans will be eerily silent at the end of game 5.

Old Fat Faggot