PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Atlanta Hawks

RsxPiimp
05-26-2015, 08:50 PM
Man, regular season champs exposed in the playoffs or is Lebron James just too much for them?

They really fooled a lot of people. Never seen a Top 10 elite defense/offense crumble like this before...

Mitch
05-26-2015, 08:52 PM
They came up short, if they won a title last year then they truly would be the "Spurs East".

Alex's foreskin
05-26-2015, 08:54 PM
They came up short, if they won a title last year then they truly would be the "Spurs East".

:lmao

Sean Cagney
05-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Man, regular season champs exposed in the playoffs or is Lebron James just too much for them?

They really fooled a lot of people. Never seen a Top 10 elite defense/offense crumble like this before...VERY overrated and I knew it all year long, last half of the year and the playoffs showed that. They don't have the star power to take over a series against a good team, nobody on their team is scary as far as an individual go. Teague is good but are you telling me you fear him game planning for a series? HELL NO.

midnightpulp
05-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Still, better than being "Lakers East" (the New York Knicks).

Thread
05-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Let's face it, Coach Bud has laid an egg here. This so called disciple of Pop is nothing to write home about.

Alex's foreskin
05-26-2015, 08:58 PM
Who else is a contender in the east besides Cleveland?

Mitch
05-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Still, better than being "Lakers East" (the New York Knicks).

Lakers East: 2

Spurs East: 1

Arcadian
05-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Most of us knew they weren't really title contenders. Their best players are Teague, Korver, and Horford. None of those guys are capable of being a best player on a championship team.

RsxPiimp
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
VERY overrated and I knew it all year long, last half of the year and the playoffs showed that. They don't have the star power to take over a series against a good team, nobody on their team is scary as far as an individual go. Teague is good but are you telling me you fear him game planning for a series? HELL NO.

Son, I gotta tell you. I thought they are going to at least give us a good 7 series against the CAVS but they just folded. At least those 2007 Mavs (another 60+ win team) put up a fight.

Though there were signs against the Wiz this team is fools gold.

Thread
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM
Most of us knew they weren't really title contenders. Their best players are Teague, Korver, and Horford. None of those guys are capable of being a best player on a championship team.

Please. You guys were fawning all over them,,,pumping up Bud, on & on. Made me sick at my stomach.

RsxPiimp
05-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Who else is a contender in the east besides Cleveland?

MVPau's team. Supposedly lol

RsxPiimp
05-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Please. You guys were fawning all over them,,,pumping up Bud, on & on. Made me sick at my stomach.
Dale got a point there...

midnightpulp
05-26-2015, 09:17 PM

True. But let's quit living in the past.

But I realize that's all the Lakers and Lakers East have these days, so carry on.

Mitch
05-26-2015, 09:19 PM
True. But let's quit living in the past.

But I realize that's all the Lakers and Lakers East have these days, so carry on.

Most recent champion between the two: Lakers East

Arcadian
05-26-2015, 09:31 PM

I wasn't. I posted a few times saying they wouldn't get past the conference finals. I just could never imagine them beating a Lebron-led team.

midnightpulp
05-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Most recent champion between the two: Lakers East

Still 43 years in the past.

Most recent playoff team between the two: Spurs East

And funny enough, Spurs East has more wins this season than the Lakers and Lakers East combined :lol

Mitch
05-26-2015, 09:33 PM

And funny enough, Spurs East has more wins this season than the Lakers and Lakers East combined :lol

What else matters besides titles and franchise income?

ambchang
05-26-2015, 09:51 PM
Disappointed. They peaked at the wrong time.

If they played in the playoffs as well as they did during that streak, they would make the finals.

It's a matter of more practice, and getting things to flow automatically. If they can keep the team together, the team would do better next year.

benefactor
05-26-2015, 10:26 PM

If they played in the playoffs as well as they did during that streak, they would make the finals.

It's a matter of more practice, and getting things to flow automatically. If they can keep the team together, the team would do better next year.
:tu

DAF86
05-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Ben Wallace, Rasheed. Which one of those players is capable of being the best player on a championship team?

The Spurs last year didn't have a "best player on a championship team" guy either, tbh.

rocknblues81
05-26-2015, 10:38 PM

No, they will not do better next year. December and Jan was largely a fluke.

rocknblues81
05-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Ben Wallace, Rasheed. Which one of those players is capable of being the best player on a championship team?

The Spurs last year didn't have a "best player on a championship team" guy either, tbh.

Duncan can and does still play like a superstar in the playoffs.

That Pistons team was a one time deal and they had great interior defense. Millsap and Horford are not the Wallace's on the defensive end.

The Hawks are not contenders... They will not be contenders next year either. They're not built for the playoffs... They will bring back this core next year and they still will not be built for the playoffs.

DAF86
05-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Duncan can and does still play like a superstar in the playoffs.

That Pistons team was a one time deal and they had great interior defense. Millsap and Horford are not the Wallace's on the defensive end.

The Hawks are not contenders... They will not be contenders next year either. They're not built for the playoffs... They will bring back this core next year and they still will not be built for the playoffs.

The Pistons were a quarter away from winning back to back championships.

TampaDude
05-26-2015, 10:56 PM

^ tbh, the Spurs don't ring in 2005 without Horry's heroics.

lefty
05-26-2015, 10:58 PM

lol if

they are not a contender period

rocknblues81
05-27-2015, 02:27 AM

But they didn't win.

And like I said, Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace were great defensive players.

Millsap and Horford can't even outplay Tristian Thompson and Mozgov.

Horford scored 2 points tonight. In a close out game.

That Pistons team was better than the Hawks at every position almost:

Billups>Teague
Hamilton>Korver
Prince>Caroll
Sheed>Millsap
Wallace>Horford

Moreover, that's one team...

What is this so hard for people to understand... Teams with the star players win the title 99% of the time.

This Hawks core is NOT good enough to truly contend for a title. None of their players are big time playoff players. None of them.

rocknblues81
05-27-2015, 02:32 AM
lol if

Some people just will not accept it no matter how obvious that it is.

Arcadian
05-27-2015, 06:37 AM

Yeah, but these Hawks weren't nearly as good as those Pistons or Spurs. They're worse at every position.

Billups > Teague, Hamilton > Korver, Wallace brothers > Horford and Millsap, Prince > Carroll.

For the "superteam" build to work, you really need every position to be filled with both top-level talent and experience.

ambchang
05-27-2015, 06:39 AM
No, they will not do better next year. December and Jan was largely a fluke.

It was a fluke in a sense that everything clicked.

The Hawks now have to work on making their ball movement and defense natural so that everything click most of the time instead of just over a two month stretch.

It's actually a problem the Spurs had in the past as well, where things click at the wrong time. Much of that has to do with injuries, and the Hawks had a fair share of them at the end of the season, throwing things out of the loop. They have to get redundant players to fill that void now. I used to think that the Hawks can play with any rotation of players, but I was wrong, the reason they play well individually is because of each other. Take one main guy out, and the others suffer.

BTW, I really like Horford. He can shoot, pass, rebound, defend, doesn't foul much, and is very efficient. The problem is that he's rarely healthy. People talk about Gasol and Aldridge, but if healthy, I'd put Horford right up there.

In fact, for the Spurs, I'd take a healthy Horford over any bigs out there.

ambchang
05-27-2015, 06:40 AM
lol if

If the Cavs are a contender, the Hawks are a contender.

lefty
05-27-2015, 06:55 AM
If the Cavs are a contender, the Hawks are a contender.

No
The Hawks are a bunch of scrubs

ambchang
05-27-2015, 07:59 AM
No

Then how did they win 60 games and make it to the ECF?

Caltex2
05-27-2015, 09:39 AM

This board has devolved so much that Spurs and Lakers fans are arguing over whose better between the teams that have a slight connection to them in the other conference.

JoeTait75
05-27-2015, 10:05 AM
No

No, they're a good team. You don't win 60 games and advance to the conference finals by being a bunch of scrubs. But in the playoffs greatness trumps goodness, and it's tough for a team with a bunch of good players to beat teams with superstars. I saw that plenty of times when the late '80s-early '90s Cavs went up against Michael Jordan.

ducks
05-27-2015, 11:22 AM
hawks did not have a lot of confidence going in
injuries hurt them late then started losing
they are a good team they all have gained more playoff experience as coaches and players

benefactor
05-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Hawks will be fine. Hawks fan is just trapped in a losing mentality, for obvious reasons.

Mr Bones
05-27-2015, 11:46 AM
What's most interesting in this for me is how it affects the free agency decisions of Millsap and Carroll. If they'd made it to the finals and had a good showing, I think those guys would've been more likely to stay, but now maybe they view the season as a nice run, but not necessarily a legit championship run. Millsap, being slightly undersized at PF, especially might benefit from having a bigger guy than Horford, who's also slightly undersized for a C, behind him.

rocknblues81
05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
It was a fluke in a sense that everything clicked.

The Hawks now have to work on making their ball movement and defense natural so that everything click most of the time instead of just over a two month stretch.

It's actually a problem the Spurs had in the past as well, where things click at the wrong time. Much of that has to do with injuries, and the Hawks had a fair share of them at the end of the season, throwing things out of the loop. They have to get redundant players to fill that void now. I used to think that the Hawks can play with any rotation of players, but I was wrong, the reason they play well individually is because of each other. Take one main guy out, and the others suffer.

BTW, I really like Horford. He can shoot, pass, rebound, defend, doesn't foul much, and is very efficient. The problem is that he's rarely healthy. People talk about Gasol and Aldridge, but if healthy, I'd put Horford right up there.

In fact, for the Spurs, I'd take a healthy Horford over any bigs out there.

Horford had two points last night... A weak way to go out.

ambchang
05-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Horford had two points last night... A weak way to go out.

No question, I don't expect Horford to dominate every game, but he has all the tools, and with the right system, he can play very well.

He was playing hurt throughout the playoffs, wasn't he?

rocknblues81
05-27-2015, 03:32 PM
No question, I don't expect Horford to dominate every game, but he has all the tools, and with the right system, he can play very well.

He was playing hurt throughout the playoffs, wasn't he?

That was Millsap. His shoulder might require surgery... That rumor is floating around anyway.

Horford's hand got banged up against the Nets, but his series against Washington was pretty solid.

It's just that guys like he and Teague will not bring it every night on the offensive end. They've been in the league all of these years and so I can't really see it changing too much.

ambchang
05-27-2015, 04:08 PM
That was Millsap. His shoulder might require surgery... That rumor is floating around anyway.

Horford's hand got banged up against the Nets, but his series against Washington was pretty solid.

It's just that guys like he and Teague will not bring it every night on the offensive end. They've been in the league all of these years and so I can't really see it changing too much.

I thought horrors banged up his finger? Tough to shoot with a banged up finger.