PDA

View Full Version : Would the Rockets trade with the Spurs?

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 01:10 PM
They (the Rockets) could use players who did not play last season in the last seasons of their contract — including perhaps Moochie Norris and Vin Baker — in a two-for-one deal with a team looking to move a long-term deal to get salary-cap relief next summer.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3346128

mookie2001
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
if i was them id be ultraconservative, superconservative, so conservative it was counterproductive

JUUOT
09-09-2005, 01:13 PM
i thought about it this morning when i saw it but moochie is a 4th string PG and baker a BIG. the two spots where we are full. woud you get rid of rasho to get this 2? it would help us financially but it would make houston so much better they would no do it.
barry?...

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 01:14 PM
They have 16 players with guaranteed contracts.

So they have to either:

Cut one of them.

Trade two of them for one player in return.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Interesting, but trading within a division or conference should always be approached with some caution. Then again, the Spurs were quite willing to part with Radoslav for nothing or TAW, if you will.

mcdunk
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
i thought about it this morning when i saw it but moochie is a 4th string PG and baker a BIG. the two spots where we are full. woud you get rid of rasho to get this 2? it would help us financially but it would make houston so much better they would no do it.
barry?...
The salaries of Norris and BAker add up to $8mil plus, Rashos contract is for $6.72mil therefore this does not help the Spurs financially.

To make a trade with Houston work more players would have to be involved maybe 3 from Houston and two from the Spurs. But Houston is probably only willing to part with only these two players since the rest of the lower salary players were just signed or re-signed.

I dont see this happening.

mouse
09-09-2005, 01:49 PM
They better do something if they plan to get past the Mighty Mighty Mavericks.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 01:50 PM
The salaries of Norris and BAker add up to $8mil plus, Rashos contract is for $6.72mil therefore this does not help the Spurs financially.

Both their contracts would be off the books next summer. That would be the point. The contracts are close enough in value that the deal works.

Spurminator
09-09-2005, 01:52 PM
Wouldn't it be better for them just to cut one of them than to take on Rasho's contract for another 4 years?

Kori Ellis
09-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Wouldn't it be better for them just to cut one of them than to take on Rasho's contract for another 4 years?

Sure, unless they actually had a use for Rasho (or whoever they want to trade for).

mcdunk
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Both their contracts would be off the books next summer. That would be the point. The contracts are close enough in value that the deal works.
You are correct. With all of the clearing space for Devin and not paying luxury tax for this season talk my mind was just thinking short term.

This could be some extra money for Scola, Nazr, or Finley depending on who the Spurs want on the team next season. This would definitely give the Spurs some flexibility next season.

Marcus Bryant
09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Nothing better than helping out a division rival over $.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure giving them a Deke replacement for the next four years would be the best idea, especially when Rasho plays decent D on Yao.

Now Barry might be a different story, but that ruins the 2 for 1 deal.