PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland is not a good matchup for Steph Curry

JohnnyMax
05-28-2015, 12:36 AM
If I wanted to, I could point out that Curry had several woeful shooting performances during this Playoffs but, I'm honestly not even here to talk about box scores. Who cares. I'm talking about watching him, with my own 2 eyes.

Curry is slow for a 6'3" guard, not Steve Nash slow, but slow nonetheless. He doesn't have an elite first step and while he has good footwork he doesn't have quick feet. Watch clips of Kyrie creating with his handles and driving vs Curry and the difference is night and day. Kyrie has a ridiculous handle yes, but it's his unreal first step, quickness and speed that really makes him hard to stop on the drive. If Curry doesn't get you to bite on one of his moves, he's not getting past you. If Kyrie doesn't get you to bite, he only needs you to shuffle your feet less than an inch and you've given him enough room to just blow by you with his speed anyways.

I said this when I watched him against Memphis, and I said it again when I watched him against Houston. It seems like if you want to slow Curry down, (I say slow down because he's always gonna get at least 15 alone just based on his ability to shoot--even the best defenses will allow an open look or two), you do 3 very simple things: 1.) You put a bigger, more athletic wing on him, 2.) You don't give him space and 3.) You trap him off the pick and roll.

Why?

-He's not athletic enough to outduel big wings and get into the paint. Doesn't have the first step and the length bothers him. Which is why he relies on the pick and roll, or fancy dribbling moves and stepback jumpers. You rarely saw Curry drive in this series unless a big was switched onto him.

-I know, "give him no space" is cliche and common sense, but seriously, watch these games and look how much space Curry is given at times. The Rockets had their best stretch stopping him when they put Jason Terry or Ariza on an island and had either of them watch Curry off the ball at all times during the game, basically forcing the Warriors to play 4 on 4. Where he's dangerous is when you lose sight of him for a split second running around the offball screens, because his release is deadly quick and you won't have much time to recover. In all honesty, while Hou lost, for the most part they defended Curry very well tonight.

-Like I said, also trap him off pick and rolls. Curry has a tendency to throw that one handed zip pass when he dribbles around the roll man. The Rockets were pretty successful forcing turnovers or constantly deflecting those passes when they brought another big body around to trap Curry and obstruct his line of sight (since he's only 6'3".) He also has a tendency to get nervous around double teams, I think in part due to the fact that at the NBA level the dude isn't much of an athlete plain and simple.

LeBron stanning aside, I actually really don't like him against Cleveland. I think that if you guys wanted to see the Cavs lose Houston would've been a better matchup. Too much of the Warriors offense is predicated on Curry's ability to perform--they rally around him, and I think Curry is going to have an extremely hard time against a team that literally has size and length everywhere--but not lumbering, slow, size, fast and quick footed size. The kind of size that gives a dude like Curry hell. I count 4 big defenders who are more athletic than him can give him trouble (6'4" Delly, 6'5" Shump, 6'6" JR, and 6'8" LeBron.) I don't see them having Kyrie on him for sustained periods of time, but they really just need Kyrie to hold his own for even a little, and Kyrie is a guy whose offense is his defense anyways.

I dunno. As awful as Houston look basketball is a game of matchups. A spurs team that looked insanely vulnerable against an okay Dallas in Round 1 steamrolled the Heat in the Finals. Houston is a much tougher matchup for Cleveland.

spurraider21
05-28-2015, 12:47 AM
post from your main account

Mikeanaro
05-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Would recommend this thread to family and friends.

spurs10
05-28-2015, 02:37 AM
Kyrie was not looking so quick in the last round. No one is 100%......

testies
05-28-2015, 03:50 AM
It will all dpend if refs call illegal screens on Bogus, they arent scoring off pick n rolls but traps and loops etc

mkurts
05-28-2015, 04:13 AM
This thread is pretty much BS

spursparker9
05-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Cavs in 6

You guys hear it first

aal04
05-28-2015, 06:36 AM
Draymond/Igy are a decent LBJ stopper as far as LBJ stoppers go. And bogut will force him to some jumpers

Curry > Kyrie by a mile

I expect GSW to win and if they dont im going to hate them forever

ducks
05-28-2015, 10:57 AM
be intesting what curry does with james on him

Phenomanul
05-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Just to contest the primary argument: It doesn't matter if Curry's footspeed is slower when his shot release is lightning quick (and he can shoot it from anywhere).

ironman2886
05-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Curry hasnt had to guard any elite PG yet this postseason.

K...
05-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Curry hasnt had to guard any elite PG yet this postseason.

And he won't have to since Irving is injured.

Sean Cagney
05-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Cavs in 6

You guys hear it first
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

Poolboy5623
05-28-2015, 07:13 PM
And he won't have to since Irving is injured.

What about that delladova kid?

TheGoldStandard
05-28-2015, 08:58 PM
Delly is working on his submarine defense as we speak

-21-
05-28-2015, 09:54 PM
Cavs in 6

You guys hear it first

I have it the other way around, Dubs in 6. LeBron has to enter God-mode for the Cavs to win. It's not impossible but it's unlikely.

DMC
05-28-2015, 10:05 PM
Curry doesn't need to go by you. He just needs you to back up a step.

DMC
05-28-2015, 10:09 PM
post from your main account
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000208-sports-and-racing-nba/71886172/822012999

Malik Hairston
05-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Warriors in 5..Curry will guard Shumpert, since he's just a spot-up shooter, Thompson will guard a banged-up Irving, and Barnes/Green/Iguodala will rotate on Lebron..

Cavs have nowhere to hide Irving, their best perimeter defenders aren't great(above average or so), and Lebron has been largely inefficient all playoffs, won't change vs. the best defense in the NBA..

nacho
05-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Curry has this.

Sean Cagney
05-31-2015, 12:08 AM
Warriors are going to win that series vs. that banged up team, if Love was there or not I still think they take out Cleveland. Irvings health is key but I still think they lose in 5 or 6 games TBH.

kobexxx
05-31-2015, 04:25 AM
nobody beats lebron this post season.. they toyed chicago bulls ,,, curry will = parker on this one

Chillen
05-31-2015, 09:35 AM
I think it all depends on what happens the first 2 games. If the Cavs can win one of the first 2 games in Golden State, I think they have a good shot at winning the series if they can win games 3 and 4 in Cleveland. If the Warriors go to Cleveland up 2-0 on the Cavs, I think the Warriors split in Cleveland and win the series in 7. No matter who wins I see this series going 6 or 7 games. It depends on how both teams play, if the Cavs play extremely well it could end in 6 games. If the Warriors play great defense and shoot lights out on Cleveland it could be a sweep. It also helps the Cavs that they are being seen as the underdog sort of, the Warriors haven't proved anything yet.

cjw
05-31-2015, 04:04 PM
I have a feeling that the Warriors are too deep and can wear down Lebron by throwing multiple looks at him (as others have mentioned).

Cavs need to get Bogut into foul trouble / hope refs start calling his moving screens for once. If that happens, Lebron can attack the hoop at will and Thompson will be big on the boards. For Cleveland to win, they need supernova JR to show up a game or two, and for Irving to be as healthy as possible.

Looks like Klay will be suiting up game 1. Amazing how the W's have dodged injuries this year, including two possible concussions that could have been worse, while all other teams have been decimated.

ginobilized
06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Cleveland has a chance.....but, smaller margins for error. I do have a feeling that some surprises are in store. Injuries, players stepping up, coaching adjustments, something feels a bit odd about this pairing.
The Cavs are definitely peaking at the right time. If they can steal one at Oracle and Kyrie Irving is mobile and scoring it's a toss up. If not, Dubs in 5.