PDA

View Full Version : Who had the better playoff roster, Spurs or Rockets?

MultiTroll
05-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Spurs 1st Round
Rockets 3rd Round

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Had the Spurs beaten the Clippers, I think it's very likely they would have beaten the Rockets, too.

One disappointment in that not happening is the deluge of threads like this one that we call could have avoided, though I'm sure you could have found something to bitch about even then.

Seventyniner
05-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Spurs 1st round
Hawks 3rd round

I'd still rather have the Spurs' playoff roster and coaching staff.

MultiTroll
05-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Had the Spurs beaten the Clippers, I think it's very likely they would have beaten the Rockets, too.

One disappointment in that not happening is the deluge of threads like this one that we call could have avoided, though I'm sure you could have found something to bitch about even then.
You're fully satisfied with this years coaching job and 1st round ouster.
I'm fully satisfied with 2014s coaching job. And no, not just the Championship but the way he did not shoot us in the foot. The way it was won.

I wish you would learn to accept differences of opinion.

MultiTroll
05-28-2015, 05:23 PM
I'd still rather have the Spurs' playoff roster
yes.

and coaching staff.
Not me not this playoff.
Turrible game last night by McHale but far superior vs Clipps.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2015, 05:35 PM
You're fully satisfied with this years coaching job and 1st round ouster.
I'm fully satisfied with 2014s coaching job. And no, not just the Championship but the way he did not shoot us in the foot. The way it was won.

I wish you would learn to accept differences of opinion.

You assume that I'm fully satisfied with 2015, which would be incorrect (though I realize it doesn't fit with your narrative for me to express that view). But, Popovich will be the coach in 2015-16 unless he decides to go do something else, so complaining about the coaching job isn't likely to change much about who coaches the team. Pop's pretty much earned a lifetime tenure at this point and I don't have a problem with that.

I can certainly accept differences of opinion, but I'm more inclined to do that when those opinions come from people who do more than just bitch incessantly and offer superficial reasons for their views. I'm not sure you're so willing to accept differences of opinion, by the way, given that your knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you is to start calling people names and to throw around attempted insults.

Phenomanul
05-29-2015, 01:19 PM
:wow FWD

Seventyniner
05-29-2015, 01:40 PM
I can certainly accept differences of opinion, but I'm more inclined to do that when those opinions come from people who do more than just bitch incessantly and offer superficial reasons for their views. I'm not sure you're so willing to accept differences of opinion, by the way, given that your knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you is to start calling people names and to throw around attempted insults.

You just described around 2/3 of the posters on this site.

Phenomanul
05-29-2015, 01:48 PM
Pop was simply trying to energize Tony with his trust to try and help him out of his funk/slump and it almost worked... The Spurs were one rebound, one bounce away from making that approach work.

In this instance Pop's loyalty towards Tony did play a hand in the Series loss vs. the Clippers (especially given how effective both Patty Mills and Cory Joseph were playing during their limited minutes on the court - which everyone saw). Ultimately however, Pop's loyalty and trust towards his players is what has allowed the Spurs to flourish over the past 17 years of his tenure, instilling a culture which has propelled the franchise to attain 5 NBA Titles. So those attacking Pop's loyalty NOW, independently of all the success it has generated - are doing so with blinders on and without the understanding that this is inherently how the Spurs have operated all these years.

Pop knew that he needed to get more out of Tony in the later rounds, and that a less than efficient Tony would cause the Spurs to fall short of the goal (risk/reward). Whether the Spurs were ousted in the 1st round or in the later rounds anything less than championship would be considered a 'bust'. He played his cards and it just barely backfired - just barely - (again, one play here or there). Had Tony awakened from his malady-driven stupor, the Spurs would have been the unstoppable machine that the basketball world witnessed last year. Unfortunately for us fans... that didn't happen - but one could almost see that Tony's play in Game 7 was better than his previous series outings... in other words - Pop's plan to instill confidence in Tony was finally paying dividends. I've no doubt in my mind that Tony would have played better against Houston, had the Spurs managed to win Game 7 in LA. Unfortunately, Chris Paul threw up a prayer and it went in - collapsing our hopes (not to mention the shady shennanigans that transpired in the closing minutes of that game). That the Clippers then went on and coughed up their respective series against Houston is outright lamentable - given that the Clips should have beat them and made the most of their upset over San Antonio. As it played out, the Spurs' series loss feels like it was for naught.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 11:18 AM
But, Popovich will be the coach in 2015-16 unless he decides to go do something else, so complaining about the coaching job isn't likely to change much about who coaches the team.
http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/ed2/192/1922283/42_2009/superbad/i/Hansel-Derek-Zoolander.jpg
Wow, that is really deep.
If any thread was ever made on "Who will coach the Spurs next season?" you will really have the insight.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Surely you can show plenty of examples then, right?
I've been willing to talk strategy with you any time any day of the week.
Some defense lawyerlike strawman like the above needs to be sprinkled on the lawn.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 11:23 AM
In this instance Pop's loyalty towards Tony did play a hand in the Series loss vs. the Clippers (especially given how effective both Patty Mills and Cory Joseph were playing during their limited minutes on the court - which everyone saw).
Thank you.

ElNono
05-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Does anybody really think that Pop didn't want to win that series or that he didn't want the team to play like the Finals in the previous season?

Even when you have a very good system, players sometimes can't deliver, for one reason or another. It's not just Pop, look at Thibs for a similar example. It's hard to win at that level and even harder to win it all.

I mean, we have two rookie coaches in the Finals... coaching, system, etc are all a factor, but there's many more factors at play... sometimes something as simple as a made or missed shot can change your season.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Does anybody really think that Pop didn't want to win that series or that he didn't want the team to play like the Finals in the previous season?

Even when you have a very good system, players sometimes can't deliver, for one reason or another. It's not just Pop, look at Thibs for a similar example. It's hard to win at that level and even harder to win it all.

I mean, we have two rookie coaches in the Finals... coaching, system, etc are all a factor, but there's many more factors at play... sometimes something as simple as a made or missed shot can change your season.

Coach LeBron isn't a rookie.

Other than that fully agree with you.

Buddy Mignon
05-30-2015, 02:07 PM
You faggots need to get over it already.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 03:35 PM
By his decisions and then comments afterwords i wonder if he really wanted and needed a vacation.
Even if only subconsciously.

ElNono
05-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Coach LeBron isn't a rookie.

In the NBA he is, AFAIK.

By his decisions and then comments afterwords i wonder if he really wanted and needed a vacation.
Even if only subconsciously.

Maybe he realized his guys didn't have it this year... we had great looks throughout the series, and we just couldn't knock em down. Strategy was fine there. I can't pin that one on Pop.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Maybe he realized his guys didn't have it this year... we had great looks throughout the series, and we just couldn't knock em down. Strategy was fine there. I can't pin that one on Pop.
Did the stats on Porkers efficiency rating (3rd worst of ALL playoff players) register with you at all?
I know you don't get all PMSy with me when we disagree about Lord Pops decision making but i mean really, you found the whole Pop n Porker thing to be just fine?

DMC
05-30-2015, 11:22 PM
http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/ed2/192/1922283/42_2009/superbad/i/Hansel-Derek-Zoolander.jpg
Wow, that is really deep.
If any thread was ever made on "Who will coach the Spurs next season?" you will really have the insight.
Pretty sure he was on the level with you and you acted like a douche, grow up, you and your whale GF.

MultiTroll
05-30-2015, 11:27 PM
Pretty sure he was on the level with you and you acted like a douche, grow up, you and your whale GF.
Time you could have spent making up another profile.
On the level. :lol

ElNono
05-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Did the stats on Porkers efficiency rating (3rd worst of ALL playoff players) register with you at all?
I know you don't get all PMSy with me when we disagree about Lord Pops decision making but i mean really, you found the whole Pop n Porker thing to be just fine?

I thought Patty should've had more time, if that's what you're getting at, but again, that's not strategy. Strategy is figuring out how you can get more open looks than the other team, and we did that.

Danny and Boris bricking wide open 3s? Kawhi underperforming in the last couple of games? Tony looking fat and forcing the issue? That's a different thing altogether.

Lest we forget that Tony had a forgettable series too the previous season, where we went 7 games against the 8th seed. But you are satisfied with that Pop... talk about hindsight PMS :lol

You're free to bitch about Pop, and I don't think it's all unwarranted, but players win or lose games. Coaches simply try to put them in a good position to win, and I thought that despite the flaws (another one would be the hacking when leading) our gameplan was solid, we just couldn't get the ball in the basket when we needed to. I can't remember a series where we missed so many chip shots, tbh...

DMC
05-31-2015, 01:20 AM
Time you could have spent making up another profile.
On the level. :lol
Neither of which would fuck that whale.

Agloco
05-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Spurs 1st Round
Rockets 3rd Round

Meh, Rox didn't play the same Clips team as we did.

Lol Dallas

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 09:24 AM
I thought Patty should've had more time, if that's what you're getting at, but again, that's not strategy.
:rollin

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 09:30 AM
Strategy is figuring out how you can get more open looks than the other team, and we did that.

Danny and Boris bricking wide open 3s? Kawhi underperforming in the last couple of games? Tony looking fat and forcing the issue? That's a different thing altogether.

Lest we forget that Tony had a forgettable series too the previous season, where we went 7 games against the 8th seed. But you are satisfied with that Pop... talk about hindsight PMS :lol
Where and when one gets the ball completely affects shooting percentage. Players are human too. Porker disrupted the flow big time. Plus you fail to mention his own shooting percentage. Abysmal.

You really did not just evenly compare Porkers series last year vs Dallas and this years bbq?

You're free to bitch about Pop, and I don't think it's all unwarranted,
Thank you. FromWayDowntown says it's my constitutional right.
And you're free to manage parties. I still get to visit them, right?!
Let's just leave it at that.

cjw
05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Meh, Rox didn't play the same Clips team as we did.

Lol Dallas

No CP3 for two games and a hobbled one after that. Yes, he was hurt in game 7 but those types of injuries get worse once you stop playing for the day (can gut them out that night).

Blake was worn down, Austin Rivers reverted to the mean, and that alone spelled doom.

I still think a healthy Splitter and Spurs win in six, but that ship has sailed.

ElNono
05-31-2015, 01:14 PM
Where and when one gets the ball completely affects shooting percentage. Players are human too. Porker disrupted the flow big time. Plus you fail to mention his own shooting percentage. Abysmal.

You really did not just evenly compare Porkers series last year vs Dallas and this years bbq?

We had WIDE open looks. We missed a ton of layups at the rim, all the way to Kawhi in the final minutes of game 7. Then CP3 makes a circus shot on one leg. What was Danny's 3pt % for the series? Kawhi? Bobo? Sometimes you just don't have it, or you don't get the breaks you need to get.

And absolutely I compared that series with Dallas. Tony had a below average PER for that entire series until game 7, where he made a rare appearance. The Spurs were also able to close both the Blazers and Thunder without him. He had a down, injured playoffs by his standards (rings a bell?), yet Pop played him as much as needed. You just said you were satisfied with that Pop... but I bet if Manu misses that 3 or Kawhi doesn't make that steal in Game 6 and we lose the OKC series, I'm 99% sure you're no longer satisfied with last season's Pop, and his "strategy". There's a lot of hindsight going on here.

But besides that, if you peg it all on Pop, you're giving Porky a pass. I'm pretty confident in saying Pop didn't tell him to be slow, fat and scared to attack the paint. Players need to bear their own responsibility.

Thank you. FromWayDowntown says it's my constitutional right.
And you're free to manage parties. I still get to visit them, right?!
Let's just leave it at that.

:lol Absolutely, as long you keep bringing those delicious coconut macadamias, there's always a seat reserved for you...

MultiTroll
06-03-2015, 08:52 AM
But besides that, if you peg it all on Pop, you're giving Porky a pass. I'm pretty confident in saying Pop didn't tell him to be slow, fat and scared to attack the paint. Players need to bear their own responsibility.

Porker sucked ass wayy more in 2015 then 2014 playoffs.
Plus as you mentioned he was out injured. Plus we were winning games by 20 points so his suckassness in '14 was not as damaging.
Popped is who put him in and left him in.
Plus, prior to the playoffs Pops pep talk to the team to inspire attitude was
:cry We're not going to win without Parker. :cry

http://cdn.marksdailyapple.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/Marks-Daily-Apple-Responsive/images/blog2/CoconutMac_Bars2.jpg