PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: How many rings did Kobe cost Shaq?

Sheriff Hoyt
05-28-2015, 05:51 PM
3-4?

Malik Hairston
05-28-2015, 05:52 PM
1, tbh

Buddy Mignon
05-28-2015, 05:53 PM
The nigga was ringless prior to Kobe.

Koolaid_Man
05-28-2015, 05:58 PM
The nigga was ringless prior to Kobe.

:lol

Infinite_limit
05-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Few days ago I caught "90's" on NBAtv. It's pop culure VH1 style clips and quick quotes by players/celebrities.

Shaq said "Kobe was equal to Penny, when he reached his 6th or 7th year" [2002-2003]

baseline bum
05-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Just 2004.

Venti Quattro
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM
2004, and this is debatable because too many things went wrong for LA in that Finals series.

Koolaid_Man
05-28-2015, 06:00 PM
Few days ago I caught "90's" on NBAtv. It's pop culure VH1 style clips and quick quotes by players/celebrities.

Shaq said "Kobe was equal to Penny, when he reached his 6th or 7th year" [2002-2003]

No Kobe No Ring...

Post Kobe?
Kobe 2
Shaq 1

Killakobe81
05-28-2015, 06:01 PM
How many did he cost himself through lack of dedication? And how many did he help Shaq win?

But to answer question possibly one but I think the Pistons are vastly underrated.

Buddy Mignon
05-28-2015, 06:03 PM

Kobe had surpassed Penny by his 4th year.

DMC
05-28-2015, 06:19 PM
2004 without a doubt. Kobe went full on Kobe, the rape was looming, Kobe flying back and forth between Colorado and the game, team not knowing what was going to happen, rift between him and Shaq, Shaq not getting the ball.. The stats show the truth and Shaq stated as much, not feeding the big dog.

DMC
05-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Kobe had surpassed Penny by his 4th year.
Not according to the man who played alongside both players.... but then you're eyeball test is more relevant.

Infinite_limit
05-28-2015, 06:30 PM
No Kobe No Ring...

Post Kobe?
Kobe 2
Shaq 1

Makes sense. Penny/Shaq were battling Hakeem & Jordan. Kobe/Gasol were battling Carmelo and Howard

'90s vs Post-2000 in a nutshell

Mitch
05-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Cost one, produced three.

Buddy Mignon
05-28-2015, 07:15 PM
Makes sense. Penny/Shaq were battling Hakeem & Jordan. Kobe/Gasol were battling Carmelo and Howard

'90s vs Post-2000 in a nutshell

Kobe took an obscure Euro pussy and beat Jim, Bruce, Tony, and Manu.

Kool Bob Love
05-28-2015, 07:18 PM
http://youtu.be/ujuQheviI7U

DMC
05-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Yet TOSB Jim and a team of Europussies have just as many rings.

AlexJones
05-28-2015, 10:53 PM
:lol why are the Laker fans in this forum so anti-Shaq tbh

Splits
05-28-2015, 11:00 PM

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/04/03/kobe-bryant-explains-why-he-didnt-attend-shaquille-oneals-jersey-retirement/

Sheriff Hoyt
05-28-2015, 11:02 PM

Because Shaq's domination was historic. They don't want that to impede Kobe's shitty legacy. It's funny, that 03 semifinals against the Spurs, Kobe chucked them out of that series while Shaq was shooting 55% :lol

Spur-Addict
05-28-2015, 11:03 PM

:lol You mean the best frontcourt in the league took a run of the mill high volume SG chucker to the promise land, twice.

midnightpulp
05-28-2015, 11:03 PM
How many did he cost himself through lack of dedication? And how many did he help Shaq win?

But to answer question possibly one but I think the Pistons are vastly underrated.

Why does this myth persist? Just because he got overweight at times and seemed unmotivated during the regular season?

Come playoff time, Shaq was nearly always dominant, always the best player on his team (in his prime), and performed well above standard.

It's funny that Lakers fans (like Lkrfan) blame Shaq's "laziness" for derailing the 3 peat, when in fact he was pretty damn great against the Spurs. Kobe was the one shooting .434 and chucking 26 shots per game and letting Bruce Bowen score career playoff highs on him.

Splits
05-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Why does this myth persist? Just because he got overweight at times and seemed unmotivated during the regular season?

Come playoff time, Shaq was nearly always dominant, always the best player on his team (in his prime), and performed well above standard.

It's funny that Lakers fans (like Lkrfan) blame Shaq's "laziness" for derailing the 3 peat, when in fact he was pretty damn great against the Spurs. Kobe was the one shooting .434 and chucking 26 shots per game and letting Bruce Bowen score career playoff highs on him.

Mid

Kool Bob Love
05-28-2015, 11:05 PM

http://i.imgur.com/4Z9C9hP.jpg

Splits
05-28-2015, 11:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/w2jIVBs.jpg

Fixed

midnightpulp
05-28-2015, 11:08 PM

Hell, not just this forum, but all over the Internet. Kobe's has a strange Cult of Personality surrounding him.

midnightpulp
05-28-2015, 11:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4Z9C9hP.jpg

He's so fuckin' salty there :lol

We saw that salt emerge in him chucking the Lakers out of the playoffs in '03, and then again when he chucked them out the '04 Finals.

baseline bum
05-28-2015, 11:13 PM

We saw that salt emerge in him chucking the Lakers out of the playoffs in '03, and then again when he chucked them out the '04 Finals.

Can't blame Kobe for them losing in 03. They had no one to guard Duncan, Bowen hit his threes, and Fisher trying to guard Parker? :lol

Plus you're discounting Bowen's defensive work on Snitch, and the Spurs had tons of bigs to throw at Shaq.

Splits
05-28-2015, 11:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pgfukjh.png

Venti Quattro
05-28-2015, 11:16 PM
Can't blame Kobe for them losing in 03. They had no one to guard Duncan, Bowen hit his threes, and Fisher trying to guard Parker? :lol

Horry came one three short of winning the Lakers that series. I think if he hit that, the Lakers come out with better morale in Game 6 and finish off the Spurs in 6.

But he didn't, and they got flattened in Game 6

Sheriff Hoyt
05-28-2015, 11:18 PM

Plus you're discounting Bowen's defensive work on Snitch, and the Spurs had tons of bigs to throw at Shaq.

Shaq was still shooting 55%. Yet Kobe took like 60 more shots than Shaq that series

baseline bum
05-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Horry came one three short of winning the Lakers that series. I think if he hit that, the Lakers come out with better morale in Game 6 and finish off the Spurs in 6.

But he didn't, and they got flattened in Game 6

It cuts both ways, Horry came one three from killing the Lakers in Game 5 in 04. I still can't fucking believe he missed that one wide open from the exact spot he crucified Webber. Shit didn't even hit rim, missed by at least a foot.

AlexJones
05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
It's like Kobeists only prop up teammates of Kobe's that aren't a threat to his legacy: Fisher, Artest, Rick Fox, Horry etc.

Venti Quattro
05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
It cuts both ways, Horry came one three from killing the Lakers in Game 5 in 04. I still can't fucking believe he missed that one wide open from the exact spot he crucified Webber. Shit didn't even hit rim, missed by at least a foot.

I would have preferred losing to the Spurs in 2004 as compared to losing in 2003. The Lakers would have breezed through the Mavs and the :lol Nets. But it wasn't meant to be that way...

Kool Bob Love
05-28-2015, 11:22 PM

Compare that look to the goat Duncan.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/12/21/morning.tip/da_spurs.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/fe/47/dd/fe47dd0a89b0ba608f38c9d8a020dac0.jpg

So fucking happy I get to still root for the 5-timer and not some rat face snake snitch bitch Bryant.

baseline bum
05-28-2015, 11:23 PM
I would have preferred losing to the Spurs in 2004 as compared to losing in 2003. The Lakers would have breezed through the Mavs and the :lol Nets. But it wasn't meant to be that way...

I mean really, WTF Rob? :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnfOuPtDRfk&t=4m50s

Venti Quattro
05-28-2015, 11:25 PM
It's like Kobeists only prop up teammates of Kobe's that aren't a threat to his legacy: Fisher, Artest, Rick Fox, Horry etc.

Pau and Shaq are both great, both were vital instruments for the Lakers to win 5 titles in 10 seasons. I think your average Lakers fan wouldn't deny that. Kobe won with the benefit of big men, which is a proven formula in the NBA. Nothing wrong with it, and I don't think both stars should be put down to prop Kobe up. Shaq was a brute force down low and Pau was a graceful llama who posed match-up problems for his counterparts.

Too many people are just sensitive here and they want to prop up Cuckan so they spite Kobe with all stats and shit.

Killakobe81
05-29-2015, 12:42 AM

No myth I watched over a 100 plus games a year during the Shaq era. If you think it's a myth, you may be blind. Idk what to tell you. Not only was his dedication lacking but his refusal to have surgery in the off season was a slap in the face to his teammates. Shaqwwas dominant despite all of that but back to the original point, Shaq has himself to blame for being stuck at 4 ringS and for Duncan being the best big of that era.But not only did he get fat he fought with Penny, Kobe and Nash and even left Miami on bad terms no other all time great I can think of left 4 teams on bad terms. But no one here menttions that because it doesn't fit your agenda ...so carry on, Mid.

Splits
05-29-2015, 12:52 AM
AI, T-Mac, Wade, Roy, VC, Manu, Ray Allen...

All 7 of those guys 3-peat with Shaq. AI, VC, Wade and Manu probably 5-peat instead of running him out of town.

Kirby was nothing more than a lucky AI. Volume shooter who depended and won chips only due to dominant big men. It's an easy formula.

What's not an easy formula is the media manipulation he perfected to put him in the top-30 discussion. For that, he deserves credit. Only the world's most committed sociopaths could have pulled that off, and he did.

Fisher didn't have it.

Horry didn't have it.

Kobe has it.

midnightpulp
05-29-2015, 07:03 AM
No myth I watched over a 100 plus games a year during the Shaq era. If you think it's a myth, you may be blind. Idk what to tell you. Not only was his dedication lacking but his refusal to have surgery in the off season was a slap in the face to his teammates. Shaqwwas dominant despite all of that but back to the original point, Shaq has himself to blame for being stuck at 4 ringS and for Duncan being the best big of that era.But not only did he get fat he fought with Penny, Kobe and Nash and even left Miami on bad terms no other all time great I can think of left 4 teams on bad terms. But no one here menttions that because it doesn't fit your agenda ...so carry on, Mid.

Yes, he got lazy and disinterested during the regular season. A lot of players go through that ennui, not just Shaq.

The reason I call, "If Shaq wasn't so lazy we'd have 6 or 7 titles" a myth is because he performed near his 3 peat levels in non-title years (post 3 peat).

'03 Series against the Spurs.

By far the best overall stats on the team (statistically, he played Duncan to a wash):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2003_WCS_LAL-SAS.html

'04 Finals.

Again, by far the best overall stats on the team (and this was against one of the best defensive front lines of all-time):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2004_finals_DET-LAL.html

Who else averages those numbers against those front lines (David/Tim and Sheed/Ben)?

Shaq did have a couple of rough series for the Lakers pre-3 peat (against Utah in '97 and the Spurs in '99), but who doesn't?

pre-3 peat Shaq was also a damn handful. I remember all the blame he got when Utah swept the Lakers again in '98, but their demise had little to do with him:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1998_WCF_LAL-UTA.html

When Nick the Quick (your all-star PG) is shooting 23%, that's hard for any team to overcome.

ambchang
05-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Pau and Shaq are both great, both were vital instruments for the Lakers to win 5 titles in 10 seasons. I think your average Lakers fan wouldn't deny that. Kobe won with the benefit of big men, which is a proven formula in the NBA. Nothing wrong with it, and I don't think both stars should be put down to prop Kobe up. Shaq was a brute force down low and Pau was a graceful llama who posed match-up problems for his counterparts.

Too many people are just sensitive here and they want to prop up Cuckan so they spite Kobe with all stats and shit.

You mean like these?

Format: DRTG, ORTG, WS/48, OBPM, DBPM, BPM, VORP
99-00 season:
Shaq: 115, 95, 0.283, 6.2, 3.5, 9.7, 9.3
Kobe: 110, 98, 0.202, 3.6, 1.7, 5.3, 4.7

00-01 season:
Shaq: 114, 101, 0.245, 5.7, 1.6, 7.3, 6.8
Kobe: 112, 105, 0.196, 5.3, -1.0, 4.2, 4.4

01-02 season:
Shaq: 116, 99, 0.262, 5.5, 1.5, 7.0, 5.5
Kobe: 112, 103, 0.199, 4.4, 0.1, 4.4, 5.0

08-09 season:
MVPau: 126, 105, 0.223, 3.3, 1.7, 5.0, 5.3
Kobe: 115, 106, 0.206, 4.8, -0.2, 4.5, 4.9

09-10 season:
MVPau: 120, 102, 0.220, 2.4, 3.0, 5.4, 4.5
Kobe: 109, 104, 0.160, 3.6, -0.1, 3.6, 4.0

Man, I thought Shaq and MVPau will have better stats, but this is just embarrassing. 3 entire seasons with a negative DBPM, and he was chosen to all-D teams? ORTG and DRTG difference of 9 and 5, when MVPau had differences of 21 and 18? Just crazy.

Compare this to Duncan.

In 99, when he was still a 2nd year player, Robinson was the leader of the team, swept all the major stats, but Duncan stepped up major in the playoffs. Besides, Laker fans, due to extreme sour grapes, don't even care about the season.

03, Duncan swept all the stats, and by significant margins in some of them. His WS/48 was 0.076 over the next closest Spurs (Robinson), his VORP was 7.6, while the rest aren't even putting up anything over 2.3 (Bowen being the closest)

05, Duncan manned the defense, led in rating differential, WS?48, and DBPM

07, Duncan once again manned the defense, leading the team in DBPM by huge margins

14, even in his advanced age, and the team responsibilities being much more distributed, Duncan STILL led the team in DBPM.

Just a phenomenal player.

Koolaid_Man
05-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Yes, he got lazy and disinterested during the regular season. A lot of players go through that ennui, not just Shaq.

The reason I call, "If Shaq wasn't so lazy we'd have 6 or 7 titles" a myth is because he performed near his 3 peat levels in non-title years (post 3 peat).

'03 Series against the Spurs.

By far the best overall stats on the team (statistically, he played Duncan to a wash):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2003_WCS_LAL-SAS.html

'04 Finals.

Again, by far the best overall stats on the team (and this was against one of the best defensive front lines of all-time):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2004_finals_DET-LAL.html

Who else averages those numbers against those front lines (David/Tim and Sheed/Ben)?

Shaq did have a couple of rough series for the Lakers pre-3 peat (against Utah in '97 and the Spurs in '99), but who doesn't?

pre-3 peat Shaq was also a damn handful. I remember all the blame he got when Utah swept the Lakers again in '98, but their demise had little to do with him:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1998_WCF_LAL-UTA.html

When Nick the Quick (your all-star PG) is shooting 23%, that's hard for any team to overcome.

:lmao

Why write a novel when it's

Kobe 2
Shaq 1

That's it and that's all...Kobe proved that not only did he not need Shaq to win at the highest levels but he could win back to back as lead....something Duncan could never do...Kobe one up'd Shaq in rings and Duncan who despite having multiple Allstars his entire career could never even come close to defending his title thus deligitimizing all of them

Koolaid_Man
05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
No Kobe no rings

Koolaid_Man
05-29-2015, 08:05 AM
No Kobe no gold

ambchang
05-29-2015, 08:09 AM

I semi agree with this. Him holding off surgery and generally slacking in the regular season forces his teammates to exert more energy during the regular season, making them tired for the playoffs. Additionally, this unnecessary fatigue will cause increased probability of injuries, which may have what caused Malone to get hurt in 04.

His lack of conditioning likely also caused his massive drop off in performance in the later years. Aside from the wear and tear on his body, his refusal to improve weaknesses in his game (expanded range, lateral movement on defense) didn't allow him to change his game to prolong his career (like what Duncan is doing, or guys like Jordan and Magic did). Shaq has the physical tools, the skills (his footwork and passing gets appreciated because of his enormous size), athleticism, and to an extent, the drive, to be the best the league has ever seen, better than Jordan, better than Lebron, better than everyone, but he is "stuck" at to top 7-10 of all time instead. Him goofing off and still make the top 10 of all time tells you how ridiculous gifted he was. He was a big man version of Lebron in terms of physical gifts.

That said, he always stepped up in the playoffs during his prime, always. He likely could have had at least one in Orlando, or if he dedicated himself, stayed in LA and won a few more.

Koolaid_Man
05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Shaq was always on the bench during key moments of title games watching Kobe take over games and lead the team to victory...when it counted most Shaq was mostly on the bench due to foul trouble or piss poor free throw shooting

ambchang
05-29-2015, 09:17 AM
Shaq was always on the bench during key moments of title games watching Kobe take over games and lead the team to victory...when it counted most Shaq was mostly on the bench due to foul trouble or piss poor free throw shooting

Shaq was in foul trouble a lot? Where did that came from?

Killakobe81
05-29-2015, 11:06 AM
I semi agree with this. Him holding off surgery and generally slacking in the regular season forces his teammates to exert more energy during the regular season, making them tired for the playoffs. Additionally, this unnecessary fatigue will cause increased probability of injuries, which may have what caused Malone to get hurt in 04.

His lack of conditioning likely also caused his massive drop off in performance in the later years. Aside from the wear and tear on his body, his refusal to improve weaknesses in his game (expanded range, lateral movement on defense) didn't allow him to change his game to prolong his career (like what Duncan is doing, or guys like Jordan and Magic did). Shaq has the physical tools, the skills (his footwork and passing gets appreciated because of his enormous size), athleticism, and to an extent, the drive, to be the best the league has ever seen, better than Jordan, better than Lebron, better than everyone, but he is "stuck" at to top 7-10 of all time instead. Him goofing off and still make the top 10 of all time tells you how ridiculous gifted he was. He was a big man version of Lebron in terms of physical gifts.

That said, he always stepped up in the playoffs during his prime, always. He likely could have had at least one in Orlando, or if he dedicated himself, stayed in LA and won a few more.

Well said. And for me this is not about Kobe. Like you said his lack of dedication ABSOLUTELY affected how he declined. Look at Tim. IF tim treated his body and regular seasons the way Shaq did you guys wouldnt have "5"heck you might not even have "4'. And Amb is right with the proper dedication and diet he wouldnt be compared to Duncan and Kobe he would be compared to MJ and Lebron. He was a underrated passer before he got heavy had a quick first step to go along with the power but he put a lot of weight on his body at first it was muscle but he lacked the drive to keep it to just that a la Karl Malone ...

I also agree that the fact he was still dominant is the bottom line and "4" is still 4 even if he needed Wade and KObe (and Horry, Zo, Fish, HAslem) to get there.

But again no one brings up how destructive he was to teams at the end of each stop ...fighting with coaches, management and fellow star players even though Dwight gets murdered for some of the same things. I know Shaq has won and Dwert has not ... but if you are being fear that is part of the story as well. Penny, Kobe, Nash and even Wade all have had pointed criticism of Shaq at some point ...

Killakobe81
05-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Shaq was in foul trouble a lot? Where did that came from?

He was in foul trouble at key points of series vs. Pacers, Blazers Kings, and even SPurs IIRC ...Some was from flops but a lot was from him plowing over Scott Pollard, Brian Grant etc.

ambchang
05-29-2015, 12:14 PM
He was in foul trouble at key points of series vs. Pacers, Blazers Kings, and even SPurs IIRC ...Some was from flops but a lot was from him plowing over Scott Pollard, Brian Grant etc.

Was he taken out at the end of close games because of his foul troubles? I can't recall any of those.

Killakobe81
05-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Was he taken out at the end of close games because of his foul troubles? I can't recall any of those.

there are games not just the finals vs. Pacers where Shaq missed key parts of close games due to fouling out or picking up 5 early I can recall at least 3 off the dome ...
But I wont bother to look it up because tbh I dont care that much. Despite all of that like you said he was still dominant.

ambchang
05-29-2015, 12:35 PM
there are games not just the finals vs. Pacers where Shaq missed key parts of close games due to fouling out or picking up 5 early I can recall at least 3 off the dome ...
But I wont bother to look it up because tbh I dont care that much. Despite all of that like you said he was still dominant.

I wouldn't call them always then.

The thing is, though, Shaq never costs his team championships, even though his backup was .... really, no one in particular.

Killakobe81
05-29-2015, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't call them always then.

The thing is, though, Shaq never costs his team championships, even though his backup was .... really, no one in particular.

I never said always you mean Kool did?

ambchang
05-29-2015, 02:11 PM
I never said always you mean Kool did?

Yup

Thread
05-29-2015, 08:48 PM
3-4?

I'll boil it down:::

Kobe: 2

Daddy: 1