PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Doc Rivers on Deandre Jordan/CP3, and choking 3-1 series

djohn2oo8
05-30-2015, 08:21 AM
LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Clippers coach Doc Rivers says that Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan have a good relationship and that both players, along with Blake Griffin, understand they need each other to ultimately win a championship -- and they want to win one together

What happens if the Los Angeles Clippers re-sign DeAndre Jordan? They need him, but what he's got coming will cripple LA's ability to add the depth they were lacking this season.
"I can put this to rest: They get along great," Rivers told Fred Roggin of The Beast 980 on Thursday. "Clearly, like everybody, they don't get along all the time, and they don't get along with me all the time, either, by the way. I don't see that as an issue. I think all three, and I'm including Blake in this as well, understand how important the other guy is to them. Meaning, they all three need each other to win, and I think all three get that and all three know that and all three want to do it together. To me, that's the most important thing."

Jordan will be a free agent on July 1, and there have been reports that a possibly strained relationship with Paul could prevent him from re-signing with the Clippers.

Rivers has already said the Clippers will offer Jordan a max contract of five years for $108.7 million. Jordan could decide to spurn that offer and sign a four-year, $80.7 million deal elsewhere.

Rivers noted that both Griffin and Jordan are 26 and entering the prime of their careers, and that Michael Jordan and LeBron James didn't win their first titles until they were 27.

Even though "they don't get along all the time," Doc Rivers said he doesn't "see that as an issue" in Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan's relationship.*Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
"We're right on schedule," Rivers said. "We're on schedule. We would have liked to have been ahead a little bit, obviously. We thought we would have at least been in the West finals, the way we were playing."

The Clippers became just the ninth NBA team to lose a series after taking a 3-1 lead, and did so in dramatic fashion when they lost Game 6 at home to the Houston Rockets despite holding a 19-point lead with 14 minutes left in the game. It's a loss Rivers hasn't gotten over and likely won't for a while. *

"I don't say this often, and I don't want to disrespect Houston at all, but when you actually feel like you were the better team or you had a chance to clearly close it out yourself, it makes it a lot tougher," Rivers said. "Other than Game 7 of the Celtics-Lakers [in the 2010 NBA Finals], those two games back to back [Games 6 and 7 against Houston] were the toughest I've ever been involved in, but it doesn't stop me. I'm more energized today. I love this group, and I think we're right there and we're going to get there and we're not going to stop trying."

pgardn
05-30-2015, 08:41 AM
They used up their ability to concentrate on us.
Mentally weak group. Sustained focus over multiple series very suspect.

RsxPiimp
05-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Rivers has already said the Clippers will offer Jordan a max contract of five years for $108.7 million."

:lmao:lmao:lmao

StrengthAndHonor

LkrFan
05-30-2015, 12:57 PM
:lol 5 years
:lol $108M
:lol for DeContract
:lol Clipper Nation

Fabbs
05-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Doc knows how to say the right things. Helps him with his job security.

Although with this, while correct:

"I don't say this often, and I don't want to disrespect Houston at all, but when you actually feel like you were the better team or you had a chance to clearly close it out yourself, it makes it a lot tougher," Rivers said.
Spurs had the better team then yours Docky.

Clipper Nation
05-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Translation: :cry "Please don't fire me!" :cry

The fact that he has to insist he has a good relationship with the players means that they've seen through the bullshit and can't stand his two-faced, used-car-salesman ass.

hater
05-30-2015, 01:58 PM
:lmao clippers

StrengthAndHonor
05-30-2015, 02:42 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

StrengthAndHonor (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42778)

It's not that bad. Every Clipper fan knows we're going to get him back after the deadline, it would be stupid to not get anything from him. He's going to get max contract anyway. Clippers have no leverage given our current cap constraint. He's serviceable and we also have to give him credit for being an iron man in a league where everybody is an injury waiting to happen (Especially big men)

Deandre loves playing for the Clippers but I won't be surprised either if he signs with Dallas for 4 years. He'd have a better chance at getting paid more with the the new CBA.

Caltex2
05-30-2015, 05:01 PM
Translation: :cry "Please don't fire me!" :cry

The fact that he has to insist he has a good relationship with the players means that they've seen through the bullshit and can't stand his two-faced, used-car-salesman ass.

He should bring Thibs back to be his defensive coordinator. It worked wonders in Boston. Now would be the perfect time with him having gotten fired from Chicago and would be a mutual benefit to Thibodeaux, Rivers and the Clippers.

Clipper Nation
05-30-2015, 06:40 PM
He should bring Thibs back to be his defensive coordinator. It worked wonders in Boston. Now would be the perfect time with him having gotten fired from Chicago and would be a mutual benefit to Thibodeaux, Rivers and the Clippers.
Thibs wants a head coaching job, and he's overrated too. Both of them are still living off that 2008 roster.

dbreiden83080
05-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Never winning a chip clips..

RD2191
05-30-2015, 06:59 PM
still cant believe the clips choked

Franklin
05-31-2015, 12:38 AM
Dragic has player option this summer and there's no way he would play one more year in Miami for only 7.5m :lmao, so it's very likely that he'll be a free agent too. Just sign DeMonkey and then bid for Dragic. The signing of DeMonkey would significantly increase our odd of successfully getting Dragic imho, and we'd make one last title run in Dirk's era with our new Triple D - Dirk, Dragic and DeMonkey, and solid role players such as Ellis and Parsons, WE STAAACKED!!!

Sean Cagney
05-31-2015, 12:41 AM
Doc knows how to say the right things. Helps him with his job security.

Although with this, while correct:

Spurs had the better team then yours Docky.Yep, and like them had a chance to close it out up double digits at home (Theirs must more though late in the 3rd)... Better team lost both of those series IMO, Spurs first and obviously them against Houston. They have themselves to blame.

Caltex2
05-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Thibs wants a head coaching job, and he's overrated too. Both of them are still living off that 2008 roster.

The current Clips are every bit as talented as the '08 Celts.

DMC
05-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Why do they keep asking Doc for his opinion? Hasn't he proven to be one of the most disconnected coaches of all time?

DMC
05-31-2015, 11:27 AM
No they aren't. KG of 08 is seriously underrated. He was a beast. They ran through everyone. The Clippers haven't done that. Blake is strong and athletic but not talented. Jordan is tall and strong and athletic but not talented. CP3 is talented.

unleashbaynes
05-31-2015, 11:28 AM

they aren't even close.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 12:22 PM

:lol one of the most retarded things I've read on this board in awhile. The Clippers are a dime-a-dozen team that relies on fast break points to outscore the other team because they play mediocre defense and have a one-dimensional half-court offense that can only score via pick and rolls. They're essentially a shittier version of the SSOL Suns.

Caltex2
05-31-2015, 01:17 PM
I take it back only because I forgot how horrid the Clippers bench is.

05-31-2015, 06:02 PM
:lol one of the most retarded things I've read on this board in awhile. The Clippers are a dime-a-dozen team that relies on fast break points to outscore the other team because they play mediocre defense and have a one-dimensional half-court offense that can only score via pick and rolls. They're essentially a shittier version of the SSOL Suns.

Tbf that high pnr that ran was extremely effective, even in the Houston series, they just stopped running it for whatever reason

Clipper Nation
05-31-2015, 06:11 PM
I'd say DMC's "Griffin isn't talented" take edges that out for retardation, but both are historically awful takes.

DMC
05-31-2015, 06:24 PM
I'd say DMC's "Griffin isn't talented" take edges that out for retardation, but both are historically awful takes.

What talent does he have?

RsxPiimp
05-31-2015, 06:29 PM
What talent does he have?

Monkey balling

DMC
05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Monkey balling
No seriously, without his jumping ability, what does he have? He doesn't have great footwork, decent but not great. He's not a great shooter, decent but only if left wide open which he usually is. He's not a dangerous FT shooter, ok but not great. He passes the ball well, that's about it. Sure he's effective because he's a better athlete than most people he's playing against. He can run faster, jump higher, more powerful on the block, and he's a smart player. He's not talented though. Most bigs aren't talented except in comparison to the bumbling idiots that those non-NBA bigs are.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 06:36 PM
Tbf that high pnr that ran was extremely effective, even in the Houston series, they just stopped running it for whatever reason

That's always what happens with teams that spam the pnr. They looks great in the regular season, but in a 7 game series against another good team, the offense gets stagnant after the other team figures out how to defend it.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2015, 06:42 PM
:lmao He just put up production in the playoffs unseen since Oscar in the '60s, but yeah, his only talent is jumping high. Meanwhile, people still make excuses for the second-round-virgin midget PG by claiming that nobody around him has talent.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 06:46 PM
I take it back only because I forgot how horrid the Clippers bench is.

:lol that's far from it, the Clippers' starting lineup has several glaring holes that the Celtics didn't have, most notably the fact that Boston had two HOFers on the wing while the Clippers' starting wing players are completely reliant on the PG to create offense.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 06:51 PM
:lmao He just put up production in the playoffs unseen since Oscar in the '60s, but yeah, his only talent is jumping high. Meanwhile, people still make excuses for the second-round-virgin midget PG by claiming that nobody around him has talent.

That's how it always is when a PG dominant team lose, the apologists are out in full force for the PG and always blame the talent around him.

dg7md
05-31-2015, 06:52 PM
That 3-1 choke could have happened to anybody tbh, I don't see why you'd blow up the core of the team seeing how far they went in the playoffs. DeAndre is worth a lot of money if you consider his value as a legitimate 5 today. They need Jordan back if they want to go back to the WCF.

Yeah the Clippers need a bench but, what could Rivers possibly say? They were one good quarter away from the NBA Finals and dethroning us in a great series. I respected the Clips in the series we were in and I wish them luck in the future.

baseline bum
05-31-2015, 06:55 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

baseline bum
05-31-2015, 06:56 PM
That's always what happens with teams that spam the pnr. They looks great in the regular season, but in a 7 game series against another good team, the offense gets stagnant after the other team figures out how to defend it.

04 Spurs a classic example

Clipper Nation
05-31-2015, 06:58 PM
That's how it always is when a PG dominant team lose, the apologists are out in full force for the PG and always blame the talent around him.
And nobody ever questions the PG for playing completely passive in big games and forcing the ball to that "shitty talent," either. Which is what Choke Paul did from the start of the 4th quarter in Game 6 all the way up until garbage time in Game 7, outside of a couple possessions here and there.

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 07:06 PM
And nobody ever questions the PG for playing completely passive in big games and forcing the ball to that "shitty talent," either. Which is what Choke Paul did from the start of the 4th quarter in Game 6 all the way up until garbage time in Game 7, outside of a couple possessions here and there.

Truth. Don't get me wrong, I still thing Shawn Marion is a lazy emo faggot who should have learned how to shoot a basketball with proper form, but one of Nash's patented moves with the SSOL Suns was dribbling around for 20 seconds and then passing it Marion with no time left so he'd have to chuck something up, and everyone would always blame Marion.

Caltex2
05-31-2015, 07:14 PM
No seriously, without his jumping ability, what does he have? He doesn't have great footwork, decent but not great. He's not a great shooter, decent but only if left wide open which he usually is. He's not a dangerous FT shooter, ok but not great. He passes the ball well, that's about it. Sure he's effective because he's a better athlete than most people he's playing against. He can run faster, jump higher, more powerful on the block, and he's a smart player. He's not talented though. Most bigs aren't talented except in comparison to the bumbling idiots that those non-NBA bigs are.

That's like saying Shaq wasn't that good when you take away his size and power. Despite his numerous flaws, he was one of the most effective and intimidating forces the game has ever seen, which is saying something considering he didn't put the work in to maximize his potential (look at him slugging along some years with the Heat and Lakers as opposed to diving in the stands as a Sun).

Anyways, you can't take away what makes Griffin effective as nothing.

:lol that's far from it, the Clippers' starting lineup has several glaring holes that the Celtics didn't have, most notably the fact that Boston had two HOFers on the wing while the Clippers' starting wing players are completely reliant on the PG to create offense.

But, with all due respect to Rondo, they don't have CP3 at PG. Say what you want about his playoff failures but he's one of the best PG's of the last 25 years.

DMC
05-31-2015, 07:49 PM
So what are his talents? How many times do I need to fucking ask you, gook?

DMC
05-31-2015, 07:51 PM
That's like saying Shaq wasn't that good when you take away his size and power. Despite his numerous flaws, he was one of the most effective and intimidating forces the game has ever seen, which is saying something considering he didn't put the work in to maximize his potential (look at him slugging along some years with the Heat and Lakers as opposed to diving in the stands as a Sun).

Anyways, you can't take away what makes Griffin effective as nothing.

But, with all due respect to Rondo, they don't have CP3 at PG. Say what you want about his playoff failures but he's one of the best PG's of the last 25 years.
Shaq wasn't that good when you take away his size and power. Those aren't talents. Stop moving the goalposts. What are Blake's talents?

DUNCANownsKOBE
05-31-2015, 07:57 PM

:lol preemptively mentioning his playoff failures before anyone else has the chance to so you can minimize them.
:lol implying that CP3 as a starter somehow cancels out having KG, Pierce and Allen (three players who each led dogshit led teams to the conference finals)

Caltex2
05-31-2015, 08:05 PM
:lol preemptively mentioning his playoff failures before anyone else has the chance to so you can minimize them.
:lol implying that CP3 as a starter somehow cancels out having KG, Pierce and Allen (three players who each led dogshit led teams to the conference finals)

The Clippers have three really good starters like the C's old teams did. They have a solid foundation and shouldn't give up on it just yet. And yes, the Clippers should have beaten the Rockets. They dominated that series except for 10 quarters (2 1/2 games).

Caltex2
05-31-2015, 08:40 PM
Shaq wasn't that good when you take away his size and power. Those aren't talents. Stop moving the goalposts. What are Blake's talents?

Just imagine if Shaq could hit his free throws at a 65-75% clip. That alone would have changed how effective he could have been and how coaches would have had to play him in late game situations. He may have won 10 titles instead of just 4.

05-31-2015, 08:52 PM

I can't find the stat atm (on my phone) so I suppose you'll have to take my word for it but the Clippers ran that high double pnr 7 or 8 times and score every time except once in game 7 vs the Rockets.

Clipper Nation
05-31-2015, 09:26 PM
So what are his talents? How many times do I need to fucking ask you, gook?

Try watching him play for once, balloon hands.

DMC
05-31-2015, 10:26 PM
Try watching him play for once, balloon hands.
So you cannot describe his talents. Just like your PG, you can't finish what you start.