PDA

View Full Version : Should Tim Duncan Ask for Big Money?

DMC
05-30-2015, 11:19 PM
He's one of the best bigs in the game, still. Sure he's older, but so what? He should get paid for his contributions, not take less to play above the level of guys making 2x what he's making.

ducks
05-30-2015, 11:22 PM
Yeah he is poor house

ducks
05-30-2015, 11:23 PM
I saw vet min 5 percent of spurs

DMC
05-30-2015, 11:24 PM
Yeah he is poor house
Irrelevant. They could all play for 100K a year. Why should Tim let the Spurs profit so much off him while sacrificing to get where they've gotten, and not get paid at his age doing what he's doing? Any other team would pay him at least 15 for one year, probably 20.

ducks
05-30-2015, 11:26 PM
If Spurs pay him 20 no title next year

DMC
05-30-2015, 11:27 PM
lol there's no title next year regardless. Tim has the right to ask for payment for serviced rendered, and get market value instead of charity level shit.

ducks
05-30-2015, 11:28 PM
If Tim feels no shot at title I think he retires

Sean Cagney
05-30-2015, 11:29 PM
lol there's no title next year regardless. Tim has the right to ask for payment for serviced rendered, and get market value instead of charity level shit.

I was just going to say the same thing when I read that.

xellos88330
05-31-2015, 12:26 AM
I am curious about this myself. I think he is within his rights to ask, but it really does depend on whether he wants to win, or collect a check.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2015, 12:41 AM
He should ask for whatever he wants.

spurs10
05-31-2015, 01:45 AM
He's one of the best bigs in the game, still. Sure he's older, but so what? He should get paid for his contributions, not take less to play above the level of guys making 2x what he's making. Word

DMC
05-31-2015, 02:04 AM
That's two words.

apalisoc_9
05-31-2015, 02:22 AM
Parker makes 14 million dollars a year.....

spurs10
05-31-2015, 02:43 AM
Tim will do as he pleases and will likely have a big say as to how things go down. He knows there's life after him and will probably be implicit in the discussions.

spursparker9
05-31-2015, 03:10 AM
Pop is making 11 mil per year

Richie
05-31-2015, 03:11 AM
Irrelevant. They could all play for 100K a year. Why should Tim let the Spurs profit so much off him while sacrificing to get where they've gotten, and not get paid at his age doing what he's doing? Any other team would pay him at least 15 for one year, probably 20.

You clearly don't understand the situation if you think players taking cuts allows the teams to profit from them more. The money he gives up goes to other players, not the owners. Due to the salary cap the owner is pretty much gonna make them same regardless of whether Duncan gets $2m or $20m.

Nathan89
05-31-2015, 03:50 AM

Tim wouldn't take a discount if he agreed with this.

romain.star
05-31-2015, 06:43 AM

Whatever as in 200 billions dollars per month?

Shastafarian
05-31-2015, 07:13 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225232&

DDUBB1770
05-31-2015, 09:22 AM
If he asks for big money he should stipulate he will only take it if Manu retires or promises to learn a normal 2 handed chest pass to the open man!!!

Poolboy5623
05-31-2015, 09:24 AM
I would imagine Peter is taking care of Tim. I mean just a couple years ago ak47, was getting millions handed to him(under the table ), or so many on here claimed (after signing for pennies with nets). Why couldn't tim be getting the same?

DPG21920
05-31-2015, 09:27 AM

if this is the basis for your reasoning then it's flawed from the beginning. Of course the Spurs have a shot at contending next year.

Dex
05-31-2015, 09:52 AM
Should he? Probably.

Will he? Doubtfully.

Johnny RIngo
05-31-2015, 09:58 AM
Parker makes 14 million dollars a year.....

Yup. If the worst point guard in the entire playoffs(and a bottom 5 PG in the NBA) can make 14 mil/year, Duncan rightfully deserves to get whatever he wants. That selfish French faggot is the highest paid player on the team, prioritizes international basketball ahead of the Spurs, and has the audacity to heal up on company time while taking 15-20 games off every year due to "injuries and fatigue" And the retarded Parker fans want TD to take a vet min deal all while justifying Tony's bloated contract. Ridiculous.

TXstbobcat
05-31-2015, 10:04 AM
He will probably take a 2 year deal for 10 million per year with the 2nd year as a a player option.

He is worth more than that and should get more than that.

DMC
05-31-2015, 10:36 AM
You clearly don't understand the situation if you think players taking cuts allows the teams to profit from them more. The money he gives up goes to other players, not the owners. Due to the salary cap the owner is pretty much gonna make them same regardless of whether Duncan gets $2m or $20m.
Why would that matter if it doesn't equate to wins which equates to ticket and merchandise sales which equates to profit for the owners?

DMC
05-31-2015, 10:40 AM
if this is the basis for your reasoning then it's flawed from the beginning. Of course the Spurs have a shot at contending next year.

If there's no title next year, it's regardless of Tim's pay. They aren't bringing in someone to replace guys who are hurting the Spurs' title chances. It would just be a savings for the team. So whether or not Tim gets a few million more, the Spurs title chances are unaffected. Several years ago I could see the difference between signing a long term 22m a year deal and requesting a 1 year deal that pays him what he's worth on a team where the coach is going to stay the course with guys who've proven they won't show up in the post season.

Pop has already stated there will be an overhaul this summer. We'll see if that holds true but you have to at least give the coach and president of basketball operations the benefit of doubt.

DMC
05-31-2015, 10:44 AM
Yup. If the worst point guard in the entire playoffs(and a bottom 5 PG in the NBA) can make 14 mil/year, Duncan rightfully deserves to get whatever he wants. That selfish French faggot is the highest paid player on the team, prioritizes international basketball ahead of the Spurs, and has the audacity to heal up on company time while taking 15-20 games off every year due to "injuries and fatigue" And the retarded Parker fans want TD to take a vet min deal all while justifying Tony's bloated contract. Ridiculous.
Tony could have gotten a lot more money elsewhere after his glory days but he chose to play for less in SA. This is the point of his contract that he's getting some money for less production. You can't have it both ways. This is why I say Tim should be paid now. The Spurs have greatly profited off Tim Duncan, he should get his.

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 10:55 AM
Timmy Dunks career earnings, salary only.
$224,709,155 not counting this past 2014-15 season.

Pound the rock
05-31-2015, 10:58 AM
His current level of play dictates that he should but assuming he wants another shot at a title before riding off into the sunset, it wouldn't make sense to ask for big money

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 11:07 AM
OP Numb Nutts,

He's not Kirby Bryant.
Nor other NBA punks.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Whatever as in 200 billions dollars per month?Yes. If that's what he wants.

I didn't say he will get whatever he wants.

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 11:24 AM
http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/285x214/169930_1.jpg

ChumpDumper
05-31-2015, 11:28 AM
http://www.baerpm.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/clarapellar_1_.jpg

dbreiden83080
05-31-2015, 11:42 AM
Sure why not? Tell them you want dat Kobe money..

Buddy Mignon
05-31-2015, 11:44 AM

They paid him 10... no title this year.

Buddy Mignon
05-31-2015, 11:45 AM
He's one of the best bigs in the game, still. Sure he's older, but so what? He should get paid for his contributions, not take less to play above the level of guys making 2x what he's making.

Its good to see you coming over into the light.

Buddy Mignon
05-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Pop is making 11 mil per year

Source?

cjw
05-31-2015, 12:02 PM
If you're a good team with cap space, wouldn't you send him an 8 figure, 2 year offer with PO in year 2? No doubt about it.

He's not leaving, but that fact alone means he's not playing for peanuts unless he's getting part of the team at a steep discount when he hangs it up. He's already played at a discount for several years.

DPG21920
05-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Tim has taken less but it's not like he's played for peanuts. He has received max money most of his career. Tims salary can absolutely directly impact the Spurs chances of being a contender.

But he can make whatever he wants & no one should expect him to take less. That doesn't change the reality though that his contract directly impacts the Spurs chances.

spurraider21
05-31-2015, 12:38 PM
if he wants big money he should ask for big money. shocking as it may be, there are actually guys that care about basketball beyond the dollars. sure, they make a ton of coin anyway, nut not all of them feel inclined to squeeze every last penny out of it.

i remember back when the wolves traded for Al Jefferson and he signed his extension with them, he got paid good money but not the max, and he said himself he was satisfied with it and didn't think he deserved the max, so he never asked for it.

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 01:39 PM
http://www.ebuzznew.com/2015/02/03/jibuuo.jpg

ChumpDumper
05-31-2015, 01:40 PM
http://www.fimho.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/zelda1.jpg

MultiTroll
05-31-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm the one on the right.
lol
http://www.ebuzznew.com/2015/02/03/jibuuo.jpg

FromWayDowntown
05-31-2015, 02:09 PM
Tim's actual market value makes him a near-max player. If he asked for it, I wouldn't have any problem with the demand or giving him what he demands. I don't think he would ask for it, though. He'll do the right thing for himself, which tends to be the right thing for the team.

What Tim Duncan is paid for playing basketball isn't really anything that matters to me.

ChumpDumper
05-31-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm the one in the picture
lol
http://www.fimho.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/zelda1.jpg

GSH
05-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Tim's actual market value makes him a near-max player. If he asked for it, I wouldn't have any problem with the demand or giving him what he demands.

Duncan's performance in the playoffs was nothing short of heroic. It got overshadowed by the fact that they ultimately lost. Tim deserves to get paid. And if there were any justice, part of it would come out of the contracts of the other players who didn't fight as hard as a 39 year-old.

EVAY
05-31-2015, 02:55 PM
Tim will get whatever he asks for, imo.

He was getting $22M per year in the last year or two of his last 'max' contract, which ended, IIRC, in about 2011, which wasn't his altogether best year ever. That was when he really started taking super care of his body and he started taking less money per year to advance the team's ability to bring in some help.

I think Tim is a super smart buy who will do whatever he believes is best in the long run. I would be a tad surprised if he started taking contract advice from ST.

Budkin
05-31-2015, 02:57 PM

Cklbmk
05-31-2015, 04:34 PM
I really like the idea of him getting an ownership stake after he retires

ata
05-31-2015, 06:26 PM

He should get whatever he asks for.

gospursgojas
05-31-2015, 07:21 PM
I would imagine Peter is taking care of Tim. I mean just a couple years ago ak47, was getting millions handed to him(under the table ), or so many on here claimed (after signing for pennies with nets). Why couldn't tim be getting the same?

Bc Holt sells tractors, not gold, and paladium.

pgardn
05-31-2015, 07:58 PM

Maybe he has had a look at Holt's wallet.
And it is possible he is really friends with the owner and all the guys who help run the show.

Or Blame Robinson for the loyalty thing. Or both. Or... Maybe he wants to dive into the massive amounts of money the Spurs pull in later as a partial owner.

Seventyniner
05-31-2015, 08:37 PM
He should get whatever he asks for.

He will. The FO might not be happy if Tim asks for max or near-max money, but they would have to pay it if he asked for it.

I'm guessing at a 2-year $16M contract with a player option on year 2. Just a guess.

Sean Cagney
06-01-2015, 12:17 AM
He will. The FO might not be happy if Tim asks for max or near-max money, but they would have to pay it if he asked for it.

I'm guessing at a 2-year $16M contract with a player option on year 2. Just a guess.Thats a good deal right there, probably what he ends up with or near it.

Old School 44
06-01-2015, 10:05 AM

I'm guessing at a 2-year $16M contract with a player option on year 2. Just a guess.
Yep, this sounds reasonable. He might even take a little less and have a "hand-shake" deal to recover all the money he's leaving on the table when he's retired and hired as a "Spurs consultant".

kobyz
06-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Tim Duncan should retire...

Agloco
06-01-2015, 05:46 PM
Its good to see you coming over into the light.

Misery loves company. How's 48.5 treating you?

vander
06-01-2015, 05:55 PM
that TP contract set the precedent, PATFO obviously didn't care about TD getting 6 or 7. so fuck them, TD should demand at least 3/36

Kidd K
06-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Tim Duncan has obviously deserved more than he's been making for a long time now. I suspect he will have a cushy job with a nebulous purpose after he retires while getting paid millions to do pretty much nothing though. In other words, he's probably "getting paid" anyway, just not right now.

Raven
06-02-2015, 06:52 AM
tim duncan, manu ginobili, kobe bryant and dirk are all worth the veteran minimum on the open market. It's not really about considering them done, but what kind of plan can a gm justify when he signs a player on his last legs for more than a minumum? we sign him so he can play alone with a non competitive team? we build a half competitive team so he can have a little more money? we leave young players with a lot of years left to make room for someone who will be gone one year from now.. makes 0 sense to me.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-02-2015, 06:56 AM
^ :rollin you can fish for idiots without going full retard, tbh. :lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Yep, this sounds reasonable. He might even take a little less and have a "hand-shake" deal to recover all the money he's leaving on the table when he's retired and hired as a "Spurs consultant".

I like that strategy.

Old School, where did you get those photos in your sig? Those are great.

Horse
06-02-2015, 12:49 PM
He surely deserves it but I bet he takes a pay cut.

phxspurfan
06-02-2015, 06:41 PM

This. I think Duncan will sign if/after Splitter is dealt and only if LMA/Gasol signs. And part of the negotiations with the FA guys will include at least some conversation with Tim, implicitly stating that he would be a part of the team if the big name signed.

Btw the 2010 Heat set the precedent for this

TheGoldStandard
06-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Tim won't be involved with what the front office does.. In a few weeks if not already Tim will call Pop, RC or both and say.. "I'm in" or "I'm out" he's not the kind of player to string the team along depending on who they go after because there is no guarantee that they will sign such a player and he's not going to renege on the team if they don't sign said player. He's going to get paid 7m to 10m dollars, this is the figure the organization will offer and he's not going to say "pay me less"

Blackjack
06-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Tim is still a max-level player. He'll be presented with the options, what they'll be able to do if he signs for X dollars, and they'll gameplan based off his decision.

He's a made man. He deserves whatever he asks for. But I'm pretty sure he'll take less if he believes it will bring him 6.

CosmicCowboy
06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Tim Duncan has obviously deserved more than he's been making for a long time now. I suspect he will have a cushy job with a nebulous purpose after he retires while getting paid millions to do pretty much nothing though. In other words, he's probably "getting paid" anyway, just not right now.

I don't see Tim hanging around for consultant chump change after he retires. He will be banging Vanessa Macias on a beach somewhere.

timtonymanu
06-03-2015, 12:38 PM
He deserves it if he does. Still the best player on the team.

Richie
06-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Tim is still a max-level player. He'll be presented with the options, what they'll be able to do if he signs for X dollars, and they'll gameplan based off his decision.

He's a made man. He deserves whatever he asks for. But I'm pretty sure he'll take less if he believes it will bring him 6.

I love Timmy but he's not a max player anymore. His ability on the court may be at max-level, but he can only do it for less than 30 minutes per game and needs games off to rest. For me a max player is a guy who is good enough to cover up the flaws left when you don't have money to fill out the rest of the roster, and that's not Timmy anymore IMO.

Of course remember 'max player' is relative. Timmy is worth the max that Kawhi will get (~$15m next year) but not the $24m that his max deal is worth.

cd98
06-03-2015, 02:25 PM
tim duncan, manu ginobili, kobe bryant and dirk are all worth the veteran minimum on the open market. It's not really about considering them done, but what kind of plan can a gm justify when he signs a player on his last legs for more than a minumum? we sign him so he can play alone with a non competitive team? we build a half competitive team so he can have a little more money? we leave young players with a lot of years left to make room for someone who will be gone one year from now.. makes 0 sense to me.

Other teams would get in a bidding war to sign Tim for one year if they thought they could get him. He'd bring in well over the vet minimum for one year. Do you know the wear and tear he plays with? Do you know how hard it is for him to get and stay in game shape as he gets older? It's a big, physical and emotional sacrifice, so why not pay him what he's worth? I'm sure Tim will take somewhat of a discount because he wants to win, but asking him to play the season for $1 million is selfish for an organization that is worth a hundreds of millions of dollars because of him and has 5 titles because of him.

Blackjack
06-03-2015, 10:53 PM
I love Timmy but he's not a max player anymore. His ability on the court may be at max-level, but he can only do it for less than 30 minutes per game and needs games off to rest. For me a max player is a guy who is good enough to cover up the flaws left when you don't have money to fill out the rest of the roster, and that's not Timmy anymore IMO.

Of course remember 'max player' is relative. Timmy is worth the max that Kawhi will get (~$15m next year) but not the $24m that his max deal is worth.

As you said, he's a max player. If he wants it, he can have it. He's just as, if not more, deserving than plenty of "max players".

Buddy Mignon
06-03-2015, 10:57 PM
I don't see Tim hanging around for consultant chump change after he retires. He will be banging Vanessa Macias on a beach somewhere.

Yeah right...:lmao

Kidd K
06-04-2015, 04:57 AM

I doubt he'll actually need to "be around" to collect though. I mean let's be real, the Spurs pretty much owe him somewhere around 50-80m dollars in savings Tim provided them. I doubt he will get that much but he will get something.

Das Texan
06-04-2015, 07:56 AM

who said anything about timmy being around the team as said consultant?

;)

DMC
06-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Yall don't think Tim will be a hanger on like David and George? You won't see them at the end of any winning home game out there on the floor acting like they ushered in the winning era of the Spurs (David has a point, George, not so much but still).

Tim is hard to read. He might go back to the islands and wax other men's surfboards all summer.

spurspokesman
06-04-2015, 10:10 AM
He wants another title so I doubt he goes for the big greenbacks, realistically him and the FO will meet somewhere in the middle which suits both parties. Tim doesn't get enough credit for being a solid and noble individual. "Til the wheels fall off"

cd98
06-04-2015, 12:39 PM
He wants another title so I doubt he goes for the big greenbacks, realistically him and the FO will meet somewhere in the middle which suits both parties. Tim doesn't get enough credit for being a solid and noble individual. "Til the wheels fall off"

He'll seek a balance. He should get more than the veteran min, but he won't get paid what he is worth.

Old School 44
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
I like that strategy.

Old School, where did you get those photos in your sig? Those are great.

Thanks...they were taken at a Spurs banquet. I can't even remember where it was, it was so long ago. My dad worked for this couple who were part of the original investors in the Spurs. It was great because they gave my dad their box seats (Hemisfair Arena) all the time and invited him to numerous Spurs events. Of course, he had to take his son. :)

I believe it was after the 82-83 season. (cheated and looked at the roster) James Silas (2nd photo) was already retired, but all the others were on the active roster.

Cklbmk
06-04-2015, 05:02 PM

On his consulting or scouting vacations or location

Stabula
06-06-2015, 03:54 AM
no

LkrFan
06-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Tim has taken less but it's not like he's played for peanuts. He has received max money most of his career. Tims salary can absolutely directly impact the Spurs chances of being a contender.

But he can make whatever he wants & no one should expect him to take less. That doesn't change the reality though that his contract directly impacts the Spurs chances.

Does this same standard apply for a certain unnamed Laker? Be honest.

DPG21920
06-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Does this same standard apply for a certain unnamed Laker? Be honest.

Yes. Just don't pretend you're about winning if you take the money.

Mr Bones
06-08-2015, 01:50 PM
The last thing Tim Duncan needs is advice from anyone on spurstalk.com.

james evans
06-08-2015, 04:16 PM
with parker's contract, no way should he take a pay cut