PDA

View Full Version : It's 3am here and I am super worried about my parents..Please I am not trolling..

apalisoc_9
06-01-2015, 03:18 AM
I moved out a couple years ago when my parents were doing OK financially. When I started working at around 17 years old to about 19, my parents were having trouble financially so I had to work and for two years I paid the mortgage while they paid other expenses. Two years ago, I moved out and I haven't really been able to help my parents financially. My old man is in his 60's and my mom is in her 50's..I am worried, I don't think they should be working at that age...

Recently, the company my mum works for lost a lot of money and laid off 20 people..She still works there, but not as an employee but a part time contractor...She's an accountant. I talked to her the other day and she's tired..she sounds tired. She doesn't even feel like applying for jobs anymore. She's getting old. My dad has issues with his knee so he's been physically incapable of working.

I don't want them to lose their house. I have two younger sisters and brother that are all still in their teens and I don't want them living in shitty ass rented house or some shit...

If I a move back with them and use the money I pay for rent as their mortgage payments..That should help them out a lot, but my girlfriend doesn't like the idea..

We had a huge fight a few hours ago when I mentioned my plans..I can't bare too see my parents and my siblings suffer like this.

Should I move back and possibly lose GF? WTF should I do? Mortgage is 2900 a month. I make around 4000 a month..I don't know if I can afford to pay for their mortgage and rent at the same time.

spurraider21
06-01-2015, 04:18 AM
move back in and break up with the gf. u wanted to cheat anyway, now its not cheating anymore

Moocher
06-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Bummer

Franklin
06-01-2015, 06:23 AM
agree, there're millions of young girls out there available to make your girlfriends, but you've only got one mom and one dad.

Oh, Gee!!
06-01-2015, 06:36 AM
$2900/month! Do your parents live in NYC?

TDMVPDPOY
06-01-2015, 07:05 AM
move back in and help pay the mortgage

if ur earning 4k b4 or after taxes, wtf u still renting man? shouldnt u be buying now and start working hard to accumulate wealth to retire early?

fck pussy, they will come around when ur all cashed up

thispego
06-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Lol your prents are "too old" to work in their 50's and 60's? Wtf? Lazy asses it sounds like, gotta have their kids help them make ends meet :lol

z0sa
06-01-2015, 09:18 AM
No wonder all your hair is falling out.

boutons_deux
06-01-2015, 09:22 AM
$2900/month?

Losing a job in your 50s now means not being re-employed, or being severely underemployed.

Sell and move to cheaper.

DJR210
06-01-2015, 09:28 AM
No wonder all your hair is falling out.

:lmao

Xevious
06-01-2015, 09:30 AM
News flash, most people work into their 60s. And I'd even guess that most of the younger generations are never going to fully retire. Having a 2900 dollar mortgage in your 60s was not well thought out though.

But as for your situation, you gotta do what you gotta do. Nobody here can figure it out for you. But if it's not something your GF can understand, fuck her.

jeebus
06-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Quit spending on your money on lebeta moldings of his asshole and help out your parents.

hehateme
06-01-2015, 10:04 AM
What and where the hell are they renting for $2900 a month?

The Gemini Method
06-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Even in L.A., 2900 a month is at the higher end of rent...

Blake
06-01-2015, 10:25 AM
$2900/month?

Losing a job in your 50s now means not being re-employed, or being severely underemployed.

Sell and move to cheaper.

underemployed or not, if healthy get to work.

And or sell and move to cheaper.

~O~
06-01-2015, 03:53 PM
2900........death sentence mortgage. Jesus. What do they live in? a castle?

Its tough moving back in with parents. You just want to be able to do what you want to do........as loud as you can comfortably with less annoyances.

And this is semi harsh good advice:

"
if ur earning 4k b4 or after taxes, wtf u still renting man? shouldnt u be buying now and start working hard to accumulate wealth to retire early?

fck pussy, they will come around when ur all cashed up"

FkLA
06-01-2015, 04:17 PM
If a gf can't understand something like that then she isn't a good gf. She doesn't have to like it, since it's always better to live on your own, but starting a big fight over it is kind of assholish on her part. I'd dump the chick for that. Srs.

DPG21920
06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Well, I don't care if it's a GF or BF, people acting like a spouse should be all in on you ontributing to your own financial ruin are crazy. In fact, I would use this as a test for dating. I would bring this up and if my spouse went along with it, I would dump them and find someone fiancially responsible.

Also, $2900 a death blow mortgage? It's high, but in all honesty, it's not that bad. Sure, if you can't afford, you should sell and downsize to cheaper, but $2900 is not outrageous at all.

cantthinkofanything
06-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Well, I don't care if it's a GF or BF, people acting like a spouse should be all in on you ontributing to your own financial ruin are crazy. In fact, I would use this as a test for dating. I would bring this up and if my spouse went along with it, I would dump them and find someone fiancially responsible.

Also, $2900 a death blow mortgage? It's high, but in all honesty, it's not that bad. Sure, if you can't afford, you should sell and downsize to cheaper, but $2900 is not outrageous at all.

I don't know when they financed it but today it's like a $600,000 house. Which sounds outrageous for a part time consultant and someone not working. Or whatever the op said. It doesn't sound like they have a ton of savings or anything.

ducks
06-01-2015, 07:39 PM
I refinance the loan but their credit is fucked up be high interest rate
you could buy it from them though and make the payments so your credit is not fucked then resell house to them after their credit improves

apalisoc_9
06-01-2015, 08:50 PM
I don't know when they financed it but today it's like a $600,000 house. Which sounds outrageous for a part time consultant and someone not working. Or whatever the op said. It doesn't sound like they have a ton of savings or anything.

My parents made a terrible decision to upgrade house 7 years ago..Also, they had business then that was making good money...It failed and my mum had to go back working as an accountant.

Downgrading is an Option..The house is way too freaking expensive.

DMC
06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Even in L.A., 2900 a month is at the higher end of rent...
When you have 36 people living with you, you need a few more square feet, some sheets to make fake walls and a few pots to piss in.

Thread
06-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Move back and provide your parents a length of peace. Help financially as well as with the household chores and duties, whatever lightens their lives. Enlist your siblings as well (do not Lord it over them though, make sure of that), by showing them the way, don't tell them, just show them. Don't look at it as "forever." It's not. It is not. When you were helpless as an infant, when your siblings were helpless as infants your parents never failed you. Just because TV tells and shows us "the way it's supposed to be" means it's rarely like that. You're being granted an opportunity to do this for your parents, and for your siblings, but, most of all, 9, for yourself. It is a privilege. When they're gone, they're gone. But, then is when you'll have this time, and nobody can take it.

Start a journal the day you come back and later when all is quiet, when your children are gone, your wife and you are tired, you can relive these days.

DPG21920
06-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Of course the old guy who refuses to work has that opinion. Of course.

Thread
06-01-2015, 11:23 PM

3-2, & goin' home.

tee, hee.

Robz4000
06-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Actually agree with Thread on this one. Move back in and help your parents, though moving them to a less expensive home would prolly be for the best as well if you see the $2900 as expensive.

MultiTroll
06-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Should I move back and possibly lose GF? WTF should I do? Mortgage is 2900 a month. I make around 4000 a month..I don't know if I can afford to pay for their mortgage and rent at the same time.
If trolling: Could you rent out a couple of rooms as a rub n tug operation? Will your sisters be 18 soon?
Could you move several SpursTalk Trolls in to help out with the payment?

If not trolling: What is the equity status on the home?

Thread
06-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Actually agree with Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) on this one. Move back in and help your parents, though moving them to a less expensive home would prolly be for the best as well if you see the $2900 as expensive.

You don't want to uproot them. At their age the tumult would be risky and extremely stressful on the entire family. Utilize that stress by staying there and making your stand. Sit down as a family over coffee & cake,,,everybody gets their say, you write the outline down in long hand, put the numbers in, see what it looks like. Then make your start & don't look back, and that means not even one look over one's shoulder. Everything is in front of the family.

My family was fractured by divorce. Not until my parents were terminal did a reconciliation take place. 9 is extremely fortunate that his parents remain together, the family unit fully intact. So much to be thankful for. You are blessed, 9. This is your time now, to take the baton from your parents and finish "the race."

FkLA
06-02-2015, 01:48 AM

The way Americans treat their parents still baffles me. It's not a good move for himseIf but I think for most people outside the US that is overriden by the fact that its his parents.

tbh I hope one day I can go up to my dad and tell him he never has to work again.

Infinite_limit
06-02-2015, 02:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Naa1HXeDQ

Franklin
06-02-2015, 02:49 AM
Obviously your mom isn't an UTA graduate, otherwise she wouldn't have been working only as a half-time accountant making meager money tbh.

Thebesteva
06-02-2015, 03:35 AM
OP, I really hope you asked this question to other qualified individuals instead of only this shit forum

TDMVPDPOY
06-02-2015, 05:00 AM
i thought rates are fkn low in america now....

how big is their loan and at rate...

if ur moving in, make sure ur name is on the fkn will....

Thread
06-02-2015, 06:43 AM
The way Americans treat their parents still baffles me. It's not a good move for himseIf but I think for most people outside the US that is overriden by the fact that its his parents.

tbh I hope one day I can go up to my dad and tell him he never has to work again.

"You sheltered me from harm.
Kept me warm, kept me warm.
You gave my life to me.
Set me free, set me free.
The finest years I ever knew,
Were all the years I had with you."

David Gates, to his father..."Everything I Own"

DarrinS
06-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Downsizing seems to be the obvious solution

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 08:08 AM

Sure that would be nice, but there is a difference in being in a spot to say "you don't have to work" vs putting your children in a place where they are now in financial hardship because of poor planning.

There is nothing wrong with helping people - there is something wrong when you haven't done everything in your control to ease any burden.

The Gemini Method
06-02-2015, 11:32 AM
When you have 36 people living with you, you need a few more square feet, some sheets to make fake walls and a few pots to piss in. Tis tru...though I only have 22 people living with me.

Thread
06-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Sure that would be nice, but there is a difference in being in a spot to say "you don't have to work" vs putting your children in a place where they are now in financial hardship because of poor planning.

There is nothing wrong with helping people - there is something wrong when you haven't done everything in your control to ease any burden.

See, but, there is that "TV" thing going on again. It is his blood line you stupid little man, you. If 9 goes to the TV to see how it should be done---it'll never get done. TV ain't life...that is why it is TV.

He can do this. There is no debate. Do it.

sook
06-02-2015, 11:56 AM
I actually have a lot of respect for you for supporting your parents. I think its the ultimate form of dedication for everything parents do for you. If your GF doesn't understand that...thats a red flag and deal breaker.

The choice is easy and best of luck :tu

cantthinkofanything
06-02-2015, 12:07 PM
I actually have a lot of respect for you for supporting your parents. I think its the ultimate form of dedication for everything parents do for you. If your GF doesn't understand that...thats a red flag and deal breaker.

The choice is easy and best of luck :tu

Yeah...the GF is the least of your things to consider here.

If you're going to help them out, you need to have the house in your name. Would suck for you to make payments then have to split the home equally at some point. Or set it up as a loan.
If they have to keep the house, maybe talk to your siblings and tell them they need to work and put in some $ if they want to stay there. Try to refinance. Get a lower rate and start it over for 30 years.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 12:10 PM
See, but, there is that "TV" thing going on again. It is his blood line you stupid little man, you. If 9 goes to the TV to see how it should be done---it'll never get done. TV ain't life...that is why it is TV.

He can do this. There is no debate. Do it.

You're a leech. You're a bloodsucker on here. You're a bloodsucker in real life. You've admitted you're just flat out lazy & refuse to get a job. Your mindset is poison

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 12:14 PM
A red flag? Someone concerned about your own ability to retire & provide for a future family is a red flag? No wonder so many people find themselves in financial ruin or struggle.

There is nothing wrong with helping your parents. But kids aren't retirement plans. If you don't have the decency to plan nor adjust (downsize, work elsewhere to keep income coming in) that's wrong IMO. And their certainly isn't anything wrong with a spouse/gf/bf being concerned about the couples financial well being. That's just called being an adult.

Thread
06-02-2015, 12:50 PM
You're a leech. You're a bloodsucker on here. You're a bloodsucker in real life. You've admitted you're just flat out lazy & refuse to get a job. Your mindset is poison

3-2,,,headin' home & that back-to-back.

tee, hee.

DMC
06-02-2015, 03:53 PM
3-2,,,headin' home & that back-to-back.

tee, hee.
& that back to back lottery tee hee

Franklin
06-02-2015, 07:45 PM
A red flag? Someone concerned about your own ability to retire & provide for a future family is a red flag? No wonder so many people find themselves in financial ruin or struggle.

There is nothing wrong with helping your parents. But kids aren't retirement plans. If you don't have the decency to plan nor adjust (downsize, work elsewhere to keep income coming in) that's wrong IMO. And their certainly isn't anything wrong with a spouse/gf/bf being concerned about the couples financial well being. That's just called being an adult.

There's a reason why God gave you a man's sexual organ and nonetheless a woman's body size, what you said is basically a bitch's logic imho. There're millions of bitches out there whom you can stick your 2-incher in, but one doesn't have a second mom or dad so just like my nigga sook said it is an easy choice. His parents were wrong to buy an estate that was beyond their ability to afford, or it meant that they had too much optimism and too little vision into the future. Taking a big loan is never a smart choice even though you earn decent money currently, because you never know when the next crisis is going to hit the fragile economy. But a man doesn't have the luxury to free himself from such quagmire as a bitch does imho.

A bitch has every right to choose the way of life which she thinks is the best for her own well being, and the guy who she thinks she can have the most happiness living with, but someone who has a dick between his legs should never think that way imho. Sexual pleasure should never be placed above a man's responsibility tbh. For 9, it's a choice between living a happy life and being a good person. A bitch is a bitch and no one is gonna force a bitch to sacrifice anything of her own for the interest of other people, but a man shouldn't be the same imho.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 07:58 PM
That's just foolishness and sexist. There are plenty of men who also get very upset when their women spend too much money or vice versa. You just admitted that my point was valid: it was wrong of the parents to not only overspend, but then fail to move on and do the things necessary to survive.

Instead, they are relying on someone to put themselves in harms way to bail them out. There is nothing wrong with helping if every other possiblity has been exhausted. Man, woman; it makes no difference.

Franklin
06-02-2015, 08:20 PM
That's just foolishness and sexist. There are plenty of men who also get very upset when their women spend too much money or vice versa. You just admitted that my point was valid: it was wrong of the parents to not only overspend, but then fail to move on and do the things necessary to survive.

Instead, they are relying on someone to put themselves in harms way to bail them out. There is nothing wrong with helping if every other possiblity has been exhausted. Man, woman; it makes no difference.
True, the parents are just as assholish to draw their son into such a financial quagmire as 9's bitch is. Good parents would rather die for their offspring's wellbeing, but if the parents make such a request, 9 has no choice but to dedicate everything he has to help his parents and younger siblings imho. There's nothing wrong with helping, and it is crystal clear that there's no other possibility to let the family survive financially but 9's involvement imho.

Just like I said in many other threads, there's no true love in the world today. Marriage/relationship is just a deal where both sexes can reap sexual satisfaction and avoid some tax, but when either side feels that he/she is gonna take extra burdens without no foreseeable payback, they're on the way out immediately. Therefore, a smart man would never get married before the age of 30, and the smartest men don't get married, ever. Celibacy sounds like just the right style of life for 9, imho.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
9 should spend his time helping his parents sell their house and move into an affordable apartment. Then he should guide them on a job search - anything that can provide income that doesn't put them in harms way. Pride cannot get in the way. Then when they have income coming in, they can still job search for something in their fields or that makes them happier.

Then after all of that, if they need money/help, you can chip in.

Franklin
06-02-2015, 09:24 PM
No one said 9 should carry the family for life long imho. His siblings will grow up and earn money themselves to help out the family but in the short term 9 is the only one they can count on, and the bitch doesn't want to wait or trust him so breakup is a good choice for both sides imho. Just like Leykis said, if a bitch issues you an ultimatum, it is time to move on. And I don't think 9 will have anything to miss or regret if he breaks up with a bitch that sees her own happiness far greater than the survival of the boy's family tbh. 9 will live a happier life as a celibate, at least for the short term imho.

apalisoc_9
06-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Just talked to my family a few hours ago and we have all agreed on downsizing the house. I don't want my Dad to work anymore..I really don't. My Mum is more than qualified to get 70k a year easily. She plans to quit her current job right now and find something more stable.

The real heroes are my GF and my 18 year old bro. GF didn't like the idea of me moving back so our compromise was me paying only utility bills and Internet bills until my family gets situated. I can't say I wasn't pissed at her for not being supportive, but @DPG2190 allowed me to understand her situation.. Basically, I'm going to be able to help out my parents financially without moving back.

My 18 year old younger bro is working full time and going to school..He's staying with my parents but instead of saving the money he makes like he usually does, he's going to be helping my parents every month. I realize he probably only makes about 1800 a month, but it's a huge help.

All of a sudden everything is green.

Thanks to everyone that gave their honest opinions and legit advice.

Biernutz
06-03-2015, 12:15 AM
I think you should get all your family financial information together then call the Dave Ramsey radio
show. Dave has to be one of the smartest financial guy you will ever listen to. He always tells
it like it is on his show and will not steer you wrong. I would trust his advice all the way. What do you have
to lose.......

TDMVPDPOY
06-03-2015, 12:52 AM
he fell to the power of the pussy?

Franklin
06-03-2015, 01:01 AM
he fell to the power of the pussy?
The pussy agreed to a compromise, imho.

RD2191
06-03-2015, 01:38 AM
There's a reason why God gave you a man's sexual organ and nonetheless a woman's body size, what you said is basically a bitch's logic imho. There're millions of bitches out there whom you can stick your 2-incher in, but one doesn't have a second mom or dad so just like my nigga sook said it is an easy choice. His parents were wrong to buy an estate that was beyond their ability to afford, or it meant that they had too much optimism and too little vision into the future. Taking a big loan is never a smart choice even though you earn decent money currently, because you never know when the next crisis is going to hit the fragile economy. But a man doesn't have the luxury to free himself from such quagmire as a bitch does imho.

A bitch has every right to choose the way of life which she thinks is the best for her own well being, and the guy who she thinks she can have the most happiness living with, but someone who has a dick between his legs should never think that way imho. Sexual pleasure should never be placed above a man's responsibility tbh. For 9, it's a choice between living a happy life and being a good person. A bitch is a bitch and no one is gonna force a bitch to sacrifice anything of her own for the interest of other people, but a man shouldn't be the same imho.
This is insane and makes perfect sense at the same time.:lol

GoodOdor
06-03-2015, 11:15 PM
Don't set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

I understand that it sucks man - but what's the long term solution? you move in, pay the mortgage for a bit - then what? your mom still only works part time
and your dad is still unemployed.

The only way you should offer any kind of financial assistance is if they're willing to sit down with you and go over EVERYTHING. Then you come up with ways to support/help them.

GoodOdor
06-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Just talked to my family a few hours ago and we have all agreed on downsizing the house. I don't want my Dad to work anymore..I really don't. My Mum is more than qualified to get 70k a year easily. She plans to quit her current job right now and find something more stable.

The real heroes are my GF and my 18 year old bro. GF didn't like the idea of me moving back so our compromise was me paying only utility bills and Internet bills until my family gets situated. I can't say I wasn't pissed at her for not being supportive, but @DPG2190 allowed me to understand her situation.. Basically, I'm going to be able to help out my parents financially without moving back.

My 18 year old younger bro is working full time and going to school..He's staying with my parents but instead of saving the money he makes like he usually does, he's going to be helping my parents every month. I realize he probably only makes about 1800 a month, but it's a huge help.

All of a sudden everything is green.

Thanks to everyone that gave their honest opinions and legit advice.

Make sure your mom doesn't quit until she has a new job lined up.

And honestly, your dad should be finding a way to make any kind of income.....it sounds like your parents basically have no retirement savings.

What happens 10 years from now? are you gonna sacrifice your own future and take care of them for the next 10-20 years?

apalisoc_9
06-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Make sure your mom doesn't quit until she has a new job lined up.

And honestly, your dad should be finding a way to make any kind of income.....it sounds like your parents basically have no retirement savings.

What happens 10 years from now? are you gonna sacrifice your own future and take care of them for the next 10-20 years?

yes, my mum won't quit till she gets a new job.

My dad is physically incapable of working bro.

But you're right my parents have very little retirement savings...Hopefully i figure out a way in the few years to make great money or else my parents are going down the road of 1000 dollars every month of government retirement income...Won't be enough.

Nbadan
06-04-2015, 01:17 AM
$2900 per month is ridiculous on their and your brother's income...downsize immediately...

apalisoc_9
06-04-2015, 02:17 AM
Just to clarify, 2900 was cheap a few years ago...but some bad investment and shit ruined family income.

RandomGuy
06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
$2900/month! Do your parents live in NYC?

That is a huge mortgage payment for Texas, and I would imagine, Canada as well.

Nothing says you can't approach your parents and just give them whatever you can afford.

It would be a generally bad idea to move back in with your parents, especially with a GF in tow. Wife and I lived with her parents after we were married for a brief spell. Not pretty.

Your parents aren't *that* old, but if they don't want the help, there isn't really much you can do. If they don't want you to help with the mortgage, you can simply pick up their utilities, or some groceries now and then.

Don't be fixated on teh mortgage. Any money you give them for any purpose will help. Negotiate to see what they want.

My parents are almost in the same boat. Still can't get my dad to tell me if he is willing to accept help. Pride can be a hard thing to set aside.

Good luck.

RandomGuy
06-04-2015, 01:14 PM

But you're right my parents have very little retirement savings...Hopefully i figure out a way in the few years to make great money or else my parents are going down the road of 1000 dollars every month of government retirement income...Won't be enough.

Most people in the US are in the same boat. ALmost no one has saved enough for retirement.

RandomGuy
06-04-2015, 01:17 PM
I think you should get all your family financial information together then call the Dave Ramsey radio
show. Dave has to be one of the smartest financial guy you will ever listen to. He always tells
it like it is on his show and will not steer you wrong. I would trust his advice all the way. What do you have
to lose.......

+1.

As an accountant and finance professional, who has done a lot of homework for his own finances/retirement, I have yet to hear any bad advice when I tune in to Dave. He is a guru to whom I would extend a lot of trust.

GoodOdor
06-04-2015, 02:04 PM
+1.

As an accountant and finance professional, who has done a lot of homework for his own finances/retirement, I have yet to hear any bad advice when I tune in to Dave. He is a guru to whom I would extend a lot of trust.

He is decent if you're basically clueless and can't control spending - so works for the average american family.

Some of his advice is plain stupid - like never using a credit card, for example.

GoodOdor
06-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Can he use the internet? he can probably find some work from home job - probably won't be much, but still better than 0.

It's not all bad - while they don't have retirement savings, it does sound like you and your brother at least care - in some cultures, it's basically expected

for the kids to take care of the parents in their old age.

I mean, I'm a jew, I wouldn't give my parents jack shit even if they were out on the street, but good on you if you want to put them before yourself.

Blake
06-04-2015, 02:17 PM
He is decent if you're basically clueless and can't control spending - so works for the average american family.

Some of his advice is plain stupid - like never using a credit card, for example.

if he said that about credit cards, I concur.

Even if you have shit for a credit score, if you're good with on time payments, it's ridiculously easy to get cards with 0% interest rates for 6 months to a year.

Once the introductory rate expires, you cut up the card (but don't cancel).

if you're responsible, it's always good to have a credit card with a few thou on it ready for emergency.

manufan10
06-04-2015, 02:31 PM
I think Dave's no credit card thing is for people who are NOT responsible, IMO. At least that's my take from what he's said.

GoodOdor
06-04-2015, 03:38 PM
if he said that about credit cards, I concur.

Even if you have shit for a credit score, if you're good with on time payments, it's ridiculously easy to get cards with 0% interest rates for 6 months to a year.

Once the introductory rate expires, you cut up the card (but don't cancel).

if you're responsible, it's always good to have a credit card with a few thou on it ready for emergency.

Absolutely - credit cards are basically free money, assuming you're not incompetent.

That being said, his target demographic is christian lower to middle income families, so his advice works for them.

GoodOdor
06-04-2015, 03:40 PM
I think Dave's no credit card thing is for people who are NOT responsible, IMO. At least that's my take from what he's said.

Nah, he is pretty adamant about no credit cars, ever.

Again, I think his advice is sensible for his target demographic - he focuses on not spending on shit you can't afford, not sending your kids to 40k a year colleges, sensible, used cars, etc.

Biernutz
06-05-2015, 01:42 AM
I listen to Dave and he is not against credit cards. He has recommend that you get a low limit credit card to help establish your
credit. People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards. Most callers to his show have money problems that he helps
them on what to do. He is not for middle class whites as it has been suggested. I have heard Dave help anyone of any
ethnicitywho want help on what to do. Dave is into tough love for everyone. he has helped people a few years out of
high school who have find that their first job wont pay for a new car and a $250 a month cell phone bill. Dave has
helped the family of a parent who has died on what to do. Dave has books on how to live on a budget. All you have
to do is call his show and ask him for help on what to do. Free advice is the right price.....
I am posting the link to his web page ,and at the bottom of the page are some links for story's and money management tools.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

Infinite_limit
06-05-2015, 01:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Naa1HXeDQ
Bump

RandomGuy
06-05-2015, 08:17 AM

Quite a few people, if not an outright majority shouldn't use credit cards. Again, not bad advice, on the whole.

Financial education in this country is sorely lacking.

RandomGuy
06-05-2015, 08:20 AM
I listen to Dave and he is not against credit cards. He has recommend that you get a low limit credit card to help establish your
credit. People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards. Most callers to his show have money problems that he helps
them on what to do. He is not for middle class whites as it has been suggested. I have heard Dave help anyone of any
ethnicitywho want help on what to do. Dave is into tough love for everyone. he has helped people a few years out of
high school who have find that their first job wont pay for a new car and a $250 a month cell phone bill. Dave has
helped the family of a parent who has died on what to do. Dave has books on how to live on a budget. All you have
to do is call his show and ask him for help on what to do. Free advice is the right price.....
I am posting the link to his web page ,and at the bottom of the page are some links for story's and money management tools.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

Again, +1.

I kinda thought that the "never use credit cards" was not quite right to what I have heard him say.

In certain situations they are quite beneficial, such as sudden emergencies (major car repairs) that are very useful cash flow management tools.

RandomGuy
06-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Can he use the internet? he can probably find some work from home job - probably won't be much, but still better than 0.

It's not all bad - while they don't have retirement savings, it does sound like you and your brother at least care - in some cultures, it's basically expected

for the kids to take care of the parents in their old age.

I mean, I'm a jew, I wouldn't give my parents jack shit even if they were out on the street, but good on you if you want to put them before yourself.

Also my thoughts. Working from home at a computer is an option for some.

One assumes though, that a guy in his 60s is vaguely computer literate. Tenuous, in my experience.

MultiTroll
06-05-2015, 10:05 AM
People who have maxed out their credit cards and are broke are the ones he tells to cut up the card and to pay it off.
I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards.
This could be a whole nother thread/subject.
Before one pays off the ccards, one needs to make damn sure of who exactly they are paying and how much.
Tons of third party vulture companies buy the credit card debt from the skanks, i mean banks for pennies on the dollar.
Also, often times if not always the third party vultures have NO authority to take the bad info off the credit record.
I know an absolute know it all in the credit repair industry.

06-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Lol your prents are "too old" to work in their 50's and 60's? Wtf? Lazy asses it sounds like, gotta have their kids help them make ends meet :lol

boutons_deux
06-07-2015, 06:41 PM
"I find it hard to believe that people have 3-4 maxed out cards."

"The average American household with at least one credit card has nearly $15,950 in credit-card debt (in 2012), according to CreditCards.com (http://www.creditcards.com/), and the average interest rate runs in the mid- to high teens at any given time."

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/money101/lesson9/

The average US household credit card (http://www.nerdwallet.com/credit-cards) debt stands at $15,609, counting only those households carrying debt. Based on an analysis of Federal Reserve statistics and other government data, the average household owes $7,281 on their cards; looking only atindebted households, the average outstanding balance rises to $15,609. Here are statistics, trends, studies and methodology behind the average U.S. household debt.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-card-data/average-credit-card-debt-household/

Lender interest income on credit cards and bank overdrafts exceed the big banks total annual profits.

ducks
06-09-2015, 01:16 PM
I have 0 credit card debt!