PDA

View Full Version : Spurs still contenders..

coachmac87
06-01-2015, 09:05 AM
Obviously with the return of Duncan even if the Spurs ran it back with minor tweaks I still view this team top 5 in the league.

1) Cavs- They will and should be favorites to win it all next season. This run and return of core players plus the weak East should make it an easy trip again back to Finals. Health only thing that can stop that.

2)Warriors- I doubt they lose Green in FA. Thats really only concern if you can even call it that. They'd be cłear cut favorites again in west next season

3) Spurs- Health hurt their chances this season. Injuries thorough out season yet still could've had 2nd seed. Parker health/play hurt them down the stretch. Out of all contenders they can tweak some roster moves.

4) Thunder- Health. When you arguably have 2 of the top 5 players in the league you'll always be in the mix

5) Rockets- gained experience this year. Will add a pg and will be a force next season.

Spur|n|Austin
06-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Good think Parker will play in Eurobasket this summer, that should help him heal up :tu

Chinook
06-01-2015, 10:37 AM
Again, I think it's a great idea for Parker to play international ball. Dude needs confidence more than healing. He and Kawhi need to share time as top dog next season, but he still needs to be able to take over when he has a favorable matchup.

hater
06-01-2015, 10:48 AM
no way. only homers would believe this.

Duncan will be 40 or close to it. he will slow down. (although he will still be our best big)

Porker - is finished
Evita - is beyond finished
Green - cannot dribble a basketball
Kawhi - is no team leader and retorts to Van Horn 2.0 vs above mediocre defenders
Splitter - softest brazilian vagina since XUXA
Patty - can't run PG. is just a chucker (although he is hitting his shot)

Marco - is gone from this trainwreck

coaches - a woman :lol, italian scrub, african guy. beyond awful coaching staff

we will be lucky to make the playoffs next year with this circus

coachmac87
06-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Just look at the league as a whole. Spurs will still be in the mix. I don't see much change if any going on with the top teams except Rockets getting a PG.

coachmac87
06-01-2015, 11:07 AM

Duncan will be 40 or close to it. he will slow down. (although he will still be our best big)

Porker - is finished
Kawhi - is no team leader and retorts to Van Horn 2.0 vs above mediocre defenders

Ok what teams in the West are clear cut favorite over Spurs?

kobyz
06-01-2015, 11:12 AM
this was the year, we didn't take advantage, it's finish for us!

hater
06-01-2015, 11:15 AM

If spurs don't make a big roster move any of the playoff teams plus OKC will be at least as good or better than them.

Darius Bieber
06-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Spurs will never be contenders again. It's over.

Darius Bieber
06-01-2015, 11:30 AM

OKC, Memphis, Warriors, Clippers, Rockets.... If nothing drastic happens to their rosters.

FromWayDowntown
06-01-2015, 11:39 AM
2011 thread.

Mikeanaro
06-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Spurs should make people sign a petition to play for the East.

Budkin
06-01-2015, 07:49 PM

:lol

Sean Cagney
06-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Again, I think it's a great idea for Parker to play international ball. Dude needs confidence more than healing. He and Kawhi need to share time as top dog next season, but he still needs to be able to take over when he has a favorable matchup.

Confidence and to lose some of that weight so I agree there.
OKC, Memphis, Warriors, Clippers, Rockets.... If nothing drastic happens to their rosters.

OKC maybe, Warriors I can see. The rest it's not clear cut at all. The Spurs were right there with all those teams you mentioned this year and went to a game 7 with one you mentioned and should have won in 6 honestly. Memphis is not better IMO nor are the Rockets clearly better. OKC and Warriors I might give you, the rest NO. The Spurs match up VERY well with Memphis as a matter of fact, been that way since 012. Rockets they just beat three times this year (I know regular season) later on twice, Clippers as I said they went to 7 with.

BTW do you ever say anything positive about the team? I bet even last year when they were tearing through the playoffs you were still on the negative shit about this team. I never see you say one good thing about them :lol:lol

Spur|n|Austin
06-01-2015, 10:30 PM

LOL I know you've had an emo schtick going on for a while now, but c'mon mannnnn..

Spurs 4 The Win
06-01-2015, 10:45 PM
LOL I know you've had an emo schtick going on for a while now, but c'mon mannnnn..

Spurs 2016 NBA champs

Uriel
06-01-2015, 11:42 PM
The Spurs were the 2nd best team in the NBA this year. If we can add Aldridge this offseason while still keeping Duncan, Ginobili, Green, Diaw, and Leonard, we'll easily be the top pick to win the championship next year.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Was he ever a serious poster or positive at all? I remember this year mainly but can't really remember before that with Darius. I know he is not a troll so I will give him that, but he is VERY negative all the time on the team.
The Spurs were the 2nd best team in the NBA this year. If we can add Aldridge this offseason while still keeping Duncan, Ginobili, Green, Diaw, and Leonard, we'll easily be the top pick to win the championship next year.

No they were not he second best team THIS year, they were inconistent most of the year and it reared it's head in the playoffs again. When on their game at the end of the year they were near the top, but that 25 game stretch was not this year it was just a little run they had. They were pretty average this year, never really on their A game for long. I agree on the rest.

Darius Bieber
06-02-2015, 05:58 PM
Confidence and to lose some of that weight so I agree there.

OKC maybe, Warriors I can see. The rest it's not clear cut at all. The Spurs were right there with all those teams you mentioned this year and went to a game 7 with one you mentioned and should have won in 6 honestly. Memphis is not better IMO nor are the Rockets clearly better. OKC and Warriors I might give you, the rest NO. The Spurs match up VERY well with Memphis as a matter of fact, been that way since 012. Rockets they just beat three times this year (I know regular season) later on twice, Clippers as I said they went to 7 with.

BTW do you ever say anything positive about the team? I bet even last year when they were tearing through the playoffs you were still on the negative shit about this team. I never see you say one good thing about them :lol:lol

The thing is, though, Clippers were basically one bone-head play by Griffin away from finishing it out in 5. (Recall Griffin losing the handles that led to Mills' 2 clutch free throws)

If OKC is healthy with Ibaka, Durant and Westbrook playing at their best or even near their best, they're legit contenders and better than the Spurs in my opinion.

Rockets & Grizzlies are wildcards. If their rosters changes up (ie, Gasol leaves and Houston reorganizes their roster), then yes Spurs may be better than them. But without any changes, I see them being better than the Spurs.

AND, add to it that the Spurs are getting older. Ginobili is basically (sadly) a corpse out there. Parker is Parker... Duncan at almost 40 has to carry this team on his back.... We do not know the future of Green. Splitter has been shaky... There are A LOT of "ifs" this off-season, but as of now I say the Spurs are only 5th-6th best in the West..

Buddy Mignon
06-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Obviously with the return of Duncan even if the Spurs ran it back with minor tweaks I still view this team top 5 in the league.

1) Cavs- They will and should be favorites to win it all next season. This run and return of core players plus the weak East should make it an easy trip again back to Finals. Health only thing that can stop that.

2)Warriors- I doubt they lose Green in FA. Thats really only concern if you can even call it that. They'd be cłear cut favorites again in west next season

3) Spurs- Health hurt their chances this season. Injuries thorough out season yet still could've had 2nd seed. Parker health/play hurt them down the stretch. Out of all contenders they can tweak some roster moves.

4) Thunder- Health. When you arguably have 2 of the top 5 players in the league you'll always be in the mix

5) Rockets- gained experience this year. Will add a pg and will be a force next season.

Yeah... keep foolong yourself, dummy.

soxxx
06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Spurs were probably the 2nd best team in the league this year. Likely would have been playing at a game 7 in Golden State had we either won that Clippers series or won that damn Pelicans game.

Atrocious honestly, but I think GS would have beat us, so at least our season getting cut short will help next season with rest.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah... keep foolong yourself, dummy.

This is only fun when the Lakers are good. So once Kobe retires, you get a new GM & the dummy family sells to people who don't hire bartenders as scouts come back over here and try it again.

Sean Cagney
06-02-2015, 08:29 PM
The thing is, though, Clippers were basically one bone-head play by Griffin away from finishing it out in 5. (Recall Griffin losing the handles that led to Mills' 2 clutch free throws)

If OKC is healthy with Ibaka, Durant and Westbrook playing at their best or even near their best, they're legit contenders and better than the Spurs in my opinion.

Rockets & Grizzlies are wildcards. If their rosters changes up (ie, Gasol leaves and Houston reorganizes their roster), then yes Spurs may be better than them. But without any changes, I see them being better than the Spurs.

AND, add to it that the Spurs are getting older. Ginobili is basically (sadly) a corpse out there. Parker is Parker... Duncan at almost 40 has to carry this team on his back.... We do not know the future of Green. Splitter has been shaky... There are A LOT of "ifs" this off-season, but as of now I say the Spurs are only 5th-6th best in the West..

Now that I know your reasoning I agree on most of that there. Nobody can deny a lot of what you said. I thought you were just negative all the time for no reason but this one here is logical. Spurs do need some changes to be right there near the top again, trot out the same team and 5th seed is their ceiling IMO.
Spurs were probably the 2nd best team in the league this year. Likely would have been playing at a game 7 in Golden State had we either won that Clippers series or won that damn Pelicans game.

Atrocious honestly, but I think GS would have beat us, so at least our season getting cut short will help next season with rest.
How were they the 2nd best team in the league this year when they only played really well for about 20 some odd games late? They were very good later and then fell into a funk again the last few games and some of the playoffs losing 2 at home to the LAC. I know they had some injuries late and that did hurt but they were not the 2nd best team in the league IMO because of their inconsistent play all year.

TheGoldStandard
06-02-2015, 08:52 PM
Contenders sure but there is a huge gap between contending and being a championship team as we witnessed this season. A lot of things had to go wrong for the Spurs to fall to 7th place and they still had an opportunity to play for the 2nd seed in the West but that goes to show just how competitive the West is and how much smaller the gap is now.

The teams that are contenders in the west are a majority of young teams. The Pelicans should improve as Davis improves, OKC should be a better team with theoretically better coaching, Warriors will either be champs or playing with a huge chip on their shoulders from a Finals loss, Clippers could improve there bench. There are a lot of other factors to consider outside of just what the Spurs have on their roster next season, sometimes you can have a wonderful product and a great team but other teams are just that much better overall.

The Spurs have a great system but a lot of that is predicated on Tim Duncan being phenomenal and having competent ball movement and bench play. With another season the mystery that is Tim will be magnified once again, eventually one day Tim will wake up and will have fallen off the map it won't be a gradual thing he will just cease to be the same player he has been in the past. If Manu walks away who will be the 2nd units captain and will they be consistent enough to pull the team through rough patches. Will Parker learn to play without dominating the ball for a majority of the shot clock? Eventually players despite how well they fit into a system and in a locker room tune the coach out so... we shall see but I think we all agree there needs to be new blood in the roster and that new blood needs to be significant to the offense and defense.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 09:15 PM
People have to understand to - the Spurs have been the most adaptive team. They will continue to adapt their style to stay ahead of the curve and fit the pieces they have. It might not come together like the 3xWCF/2xFinal run, but Spurs have a very good shot and are usually ahead of the curve.

Losing Tim changes things for sure because you can't replicate that, but you have to trust in PATFO

Taking it to the Hole
06-02-2015, 09:23 PM

Porker - is finished

That being said, the Spurs will still make the playoffs next year. You forget even an average Spurs team like we were this year was good enough to make the playoffs and we miss the #2 seed by one game. The Spurs even at their worst always find a way to turn it on to make a run into the playoffs. People have been saying "they are as old as dirt" argument for years and every year like clockwork they are in the playoffs. As long as you have Duncan, you have a chance. What killed the Spurs this past year was injuries and lack of fluidity on offense. Without the pressure on them to repeat, I can see the Spurs having a rebound season and regaining their previous form. They just need to stay healthy. Easier said then done but it is the truth.

TheGoldStandard
06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
People have to understand to - the Spurs have been the most adaptive team. They will continue to adapt their style to stay ahead of the curve and fit the pieces they have. It might not come together like the 3xWCF/2xFinal run, but Spurs have a very good shot and are usually ahead of the curve.

Losing Tim changes things for sure because you can't replicate that, but you have to trust in PATFO

I doubt the Spurs become a terrible team the moment that Duncan walks away but being a championship caliber team will have to be proven for sure since they were sans titles without Duncan. My biggest concern is the coaching of new players that will be coming into the fold. Pop has a certain way of doing business and outside of Carlisle I don't see anyone else really handle his players the same way, how will a player react to the way Pop holds certain players accountable for their performance. Will he bench Aldridge or Gasol for bonehead plays or missing defensive assignments should they come? How will that player react. Will he still handle Parker will kid gloves and not bench him when he's struggling and how will that play out in the locker room if one these guys is in the dog house? Tim's personality has allowed him to stay quiet when he has had differences with coaching philosophies and the personalities on the team.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Agreed - there are certainly questionmarks. But I think winning titles is taken for granted with Spurs fans. It's not common to be this good, this long. That changes, but Spurs can still be very good.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 12:32 AM
Agreed - there are certainly questionmarks. But I think winning titles is taken for granted with Spurs fans. It's not common to be this good, this long. That changes, but Spurs can still be very good.

^^^^^ Truth

Nbadan
06-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I think the Manu, Parker, Duncan combination are done winning championships....Spurs will still be in the playoff mix though....

TBH.....When Duncan came to San Antonio I posted that he would win 5 championships...

Nbadan
06-03-2015, 01:14 AM
.....Manu and Duncan are now role players....their contribution needs to be redefined as roll players.....Spurs need a big to learn under Duncan, take minutes...I'm not convinced its going to be Aldridge...don't think it necessarily needs to be though...

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 02:16 AM
.....Manu and Duncan are now role players....their contribution needs to be redefined as roll players.....Spurs need a big to learn under Duncan, take minutes...I'm not convinced its going to be Aldridge...don't think it necessarily needs to be though...

Tim as good as he is right now even at 38 or so is above a role player. I agree on the rest.

soxxx
06-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Now that I know your reasoning I agree on most of that there. Nobody can deny a lot of what you said. I thought you were just negative all the time for no reason but this one here is logical. Spurs do need some changes to be right there near the top again, trot out the same team and 5th seed is their ceiling IMO.
How were they the 2nd best team in the league this year when they only played really well for about 20 some odd games late? They were very good later and then fell into a funk again the last few games and some of the playoffs losing 2 at home to the LAC. I know they had some injuries late and that did hurt but they were not the 2nd best team in the league IMO because of their inconsistent play all year.The difference in season results can come down to mere sequences of plays. Heck last year, game 5 against Dallas, the Spurs were losing with around 2 minutes left, on the verge of falling down 3-1 and probably losing to the Mavs in the first round. Instead they make a few plays and win a close game, go onto to win the finals.

I wasnt in love with this 2015 team, but a difference of one or two plays likely means the difference in the Spurs being a first round exit, or possibly WCF against the Warriors, or even winning the whole thing......the Spurs easily could have lost to the Mavs last year and were really on the verge of going down 3-1. It is what it is, you make some baskets, miss some baskets.

hater
06-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Porker is trash

Evita is thrash's thrash

Duncan is 40 and just a solid big

Kawhi is Van Horn 2.0 vs decent defenders

:lol yeah we contenders

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 01:46 PM
The difference in season results can come down to mere sequences of plays. Heck last year, game 5 against Dallas, the Spurs were losing with around 2 minutes left, on the verge of falling down 3-1 and probably losing to the Mavs in the first round. Instead they make a few plays and win a close game, go onto to win the finals.

I wasnt in love with this 2015 team, but a difference of one or two plays likely means the difference in the Spurs being a first round exit, or possibly WCF against the Warriors, or even winning the whole thing......the Spurs easily could have lost to the Mavs last year and were really on the verge of going down 3-1. It is what it is, you make some baskets, miss some baskets.

Last year they were way more consistent all year long though and won 62 games and had HC, they did not play around from day one. I meant they were way more consistent for a full year last year and this year for only a handful of games at the end which gave people hope again after such a bad year overall pretty much until the late win streak. They looked either uninterested most of the year or just never really got the chemistry going they had the year before, this was most of the season until the last 20 some odd games. They got banged up right before the playoffs again which did not help though, Splitter and then Tony in game one got hurt twice.

I agree on that Mavs series, that one was a tough one. They key basket goes your way one year and you win a title, the next year the key shot does not go your way and you miss or the other team hits that shot and you are out in round one, it's that close.

RD2191
06-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Porker is trash

Evita is thrash's thrash

Duncan is 40 and just a solid big

Kawhi is Van Horn 2.0 vs decent defenders

:lol yeah we contenders

soxxx
06-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Last year they were way more consistent all year long though and won 62 games and had HC, they did not play around from day one. I meant they were way more consistent for a full year last year and this year for only a handful of games at the end which gave people hope again after such a bad year overall pretty much until the late win streak. They looked either uninterested most of the year or just never really got the chemistry going they had the year before, this was most of the season until the last 20 some odd games. They got banged up right before the playoffs again which did not help though, Splitter and then Tony in game one got hurt twice.

I agree on that Mavs series, that one was a tough one. They key basket goes your way one year and you win a title, the next year the key shot does not go your way and you miss or the other team hits that shot and you are out in round one, it's that close.
Yep, so my whole belief is that the Spurs still have a solid chance at winning the title. Us getting eliminated early may be a blessing in disguise. I know in 2011 when we lost to Memphis, we thought it was over, little did we know the team would go to 3 straight WFC....so perhaps this loss results in another short run.

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Yep, so my whole belief is that the Spurs still have a solid chance at winning the title. Us getting eliminated early may be a blessing in disguise. I know in 2011 when we lost to Memphis, we thought it was over, little did we know the team would go to 3 straight WFC....so perhaps this loss results in another short run.
With this same team a year older I disagree on that, they need to re tool some parts or Tony has to be TONY again and Kawhi has to make that leap. I don't see them as a contender next year or a favorite so to speak with the same team a year older. I doubt they bring the same team back though, Pop and Danny Green basically confirmed that after game 7. Us getting eliminated early is just that IMO, a sign of things to come if they don't get better and a mid to later seed next year as well. 2011 was just that though, they got Diaw and Leonard after that and a few parts like Green plus Tim turned into God Mode and was a few years younger. Tony is not Tony from that year either it seems and Manu quite a bit older, time has caught up somewhat finally. Different situation unless they re tool, if they trot out the same team I don't see a run like 012 after the 011 year all over again. I agree after 011 with what happened though, but they need to tweak some again to get there.