PDA

View Full Version : Angel and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I got yelled at today- twice!. My boss did not just raise her voice. She screamed. It was awful.

Here's what happened.
I work pachaging photos and the lab ( not my department) completely messed up an order.
It is very important to me doing my job that the lab prints pictures in an accurate order. Today they did not. I had hundreds of pictures that were out of place.
Instead of complaining my coworkers and I teamed up to fix the problem.
(It was actually a friend's project. I came up with the correction system and helped her apply it.)

The three of us in packaging were working well together and making amazing progress when my boss came in and yelled at us for doing the project together.

( Granted we were working on the floor. which I realize does not appear to be that professional. However, it was too huge a project to fit in any of our offices and all the tables in the conference room were full.)

My boss was angry because she felt too many people working on that kind of project would ruin it and that with three working there is that no one who can be held accountable.
That to me is a valid point. I didn't think of it before but I understand it now.

What I don't understand and what really bothered me was my boss' demoralizing tone when she lectured us.
Instead of feeling helped, I was humiliated. It took all my will power to stay there and not cry.

I just wish my boss would have seen the situation for what it was- three people coming together, taking the initiative, and working hard.
Our hearts were in the right place but my boss acted as if we were insubordinate slackers.
She went as far as to say we would be immediately fired if she ever caught us working together like that again.
I don't think any of that was necessary, especially considering my excellent track record.

I feel better now. I just had to post. I've been waiting all day to come home and be with friends.
And now I am. = ) Whoosh!

ZStomp
09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
Come and get a hug. :) :elephant

mouse
09-09-2005, 04:49 PM
If this event has had an effect on you not getting sexaully aroused? you may have a law suit.

tlongII
09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I got yelled at today- twice!. My boss did not just raise her voice. She screamed. It was awful.

Here's what happened.
I work pachaging photos and the lab ( not my department) completely messed up an order.
It is very important to me doing my job that the lab prints pictures in an accurate order. Today they did not. I had hundreds of pictures that were out of place.
Instead of complaining my coworkers and I teamed up to fix the problem.
(It was actually a friend's project. I came up with the correction system and helped her apply it.)

The three of us in packaging were working well together and making amazing progress when my boss came in and yelled at us for doing the project together.

( Granted we were working on the floor. which I realize does not appear to be that professional. However, it was too huge a project to fit in any of our offices and all the tables in the conference room were full.)

My boss was angry because she felt too many people working on that kind of project would ruin it and that with three working there is that no one who can be held accountable.
That to me is a valid point. I didn't think of it before but I understand it now.

What I don't understand and what really bothered me was my boss' demoralizing tone when she lectured us.
Instead of feeling helped, I was humiliated. It took all my will power to stay there and not cry.

I just wish my boss would have seen the situation for what it was- three people coming together, taking the initiative, and working hard.
Our hearts were in the right place but my boss acted as if we were insubordinate slackers.
She went as far as to say we would be immediately fired if she ever caught us working together like that again.
I don't think any of that was necessary, especially considering my excellent track record.

I feel better now. I just had to post. I've been waiting all day to come home and be with friends.
And now I am. = ) Whoosh!

Send me your boss's email address. I would like to send her a message.

Kip Fanatic
09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes power goes to people's head. However, I have to commend you for sticking it out. You showed a lot more than what your boss did.

Kip Fanatic
09-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Oh yeah, whenever you need to vent, you know you can do that with us. We're not here to post to crack on someone, we're also hear to listen.

bigzak25
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
sound like your boss was the one having a bad day.

if that is the norm? then you have an insecure, overbearing, power hungry bitch as a boss that wants to fire anyone at anytime that does not do things HER way. Don't fret about that shit, if the money is good, do as your told, get in line with HER program and move on, lesson learned. If not? There are many many other Jobs that would be glad to have a hard worker with the initiative to solve problems that occur unexpectedly. Good Job. :tu

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 04:53 PM
I hate your boss!

spurs=bling
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
sorry to hear that but, for that pesron there is another person.
so smile

Shelly
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Bosses like that are the type of people that are trying to cover up their own screw ups.

2Blonde
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey, did the title of your thread come from a Robert Munsch book?

***Edit.... I just checked it out and saw it was "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst. I got them confused.****

j-6
09-09-2005, 05:00 PM

I'd start looking for another place to work. It's no fun to work under someone that threatens you with your job like that. Of course, you could always complain to her boss about the way you were treated if you want to rake her over the coals (especially if you get your two coworkers to join you). But you better have an exit strategy.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey, did the title of your thread come from a Robert Munsch book?

***Edit.... I just checked it out and saw it was "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst. I got them confused.****

That is where it came from. I thought I had more of a right to it today than Alexander. = )

JoeChalupa
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

Are you going to hold a grudge?

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Thanks all for the support! You're awesome!!!!

I was too upse to remember this earlier but several hours after the initial cofrontation my boss did tell me she loves me and promised that she is not always that mean.
Then after that I overheard her saying she had a hell of a week. I guess I just took one for everyone else who wronged her.

I am sorry my boss had a hard week but aren't I right that her conduct was unprofessional and unacceptable?

Today my boss gets forgiveness and the benefit of the doubt.
However if she freaks out again, I'll seriously consider getting another job.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

Are you going to hold a grudge?

LOL! No.

2Blonde
09-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd give her credit for being big enough to apologize to you. A lot of bosses wouldn't even humble themselves that much. Who knows, you might over-react to something some day and your good karma in forgiving your boss will come back to you.

SequSpur
09-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Quit.

JoeChalupa
09-09-2005, 05:33 PM
That was cool that she realized her errors but it doesn't excuse her actions.

Just like an apology doesn't excuse actions but it can be a healing process.

To err is human, to forgive divine.

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I am sorry my boss had a hard week but aren't I right that her conduct was unprofessional and unacceptable?

Yes. You are correct. There is NO excuse for raising your voice with employees unless it is a life threatening situation. There is also no excuse for flipping the "I can fire you" card. Insecure and fearful employees will be afraid to do anything but follow the "procedures" in that situation. She better hope her procedure manual covers EVERY possible situation if she keeps doing that.

Mixability
09-09-2005, 05:37 PM
should've told your boss to: :stfu

SequSpur
09-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Yes. You are correct. There is NO excuse for raising your voice with employees unless it is a life threatening situation. There is also no excuse for flipping the "I can fire you" card. Insecure and fearful employees will be afraid to do anything but follow the "procedures" in that situation. She better hope her procedure manual covers EVERY possible situation if she keeps doing that.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't condone yelling at employees either...... except.....

When they bring the team down with bullshit personal discussions or manipulating bullshit that effects daily business or customer service perception.

Then it's time to bring the hammer down.

Then you pick the side that has potential and make the other side quit.

timvp
09-09-2005, 05:40 PM
WWRD.

What would Rasho do?

He probably would have layed up his two week notice and gone whimpering home.

I keed, I keed.

:)

timvp
09-09-2005, 05:41 PM
For real though, that was a quittable offense by your boss.

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I agree with this. I don't condone yelling at employees either...... except.....

When they bring the team down with bullshit personal discussions or manipulating bullshit that effects daily business or customer service perception.

Then it's time to bring the hammer down.

Then you pick the side that has potential and make the other side quit.

Naaa...even then yelling is still not justified. The only time I have ever yelled at an employee was when it was a safety issue and they were about to hurt themselves or someone else, and then it was just to get their attention RIGHT THEN...and once I have their attention I go back to a normal tone of voice.

You want to try honing your management skills try managing 400+ VOLUNTEERS. Good thing I drink...:)

Mark in Austin
09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
So let me get this straight: she yelled at the three of you because she realized that if what you were doing somehow made the situation worse, she wouldn't know which person to blame?

Here's a hint, lady: It's NOT the person helping out YOUR department. It's the department manager (that's you) that allowed the department to be understaffed to the point that you had to borrow inexperianced people from other departments to cover your mistake.

Angel, your boss is on my shit list. I can't stand people like that.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
WWRD.

What would Rasho do?

He probably would have layed up his two week notice and gone whimpering home.

I keed, I keed.

:)

Okay that made me smile.

Silly Goose! Rasho wouldn't have messed up cause he is perfect!

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 05:57 PM
To err is human, to forgive divine.

Guess I better live up to my name then! :angel

tlongII
09-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Sounds like she never actually apologized to you. I would demand an apology!

Duff McCartney
09-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I didn't have a bad day at work yesterday but it was pretty shitty..it seemed every customer that came in was a dick.

Especially this one lady...man was she the biggest bitch I've ever seen. The second she came in to the store she being a bitch to me. Her, her husband and her son came and were looking for ink. I showed them the right kind and she kept telling me that we carried a cheaper imitation in our store brand. I told her that I don't think we carried that kind, and she snapped at me and said well I've seen it and I've got it before.

Anyway they went off and left the ink they were gonna buy at the front where I was and waited for them to come back. She came back and they had a chair that we sold at the store. But they brought it up and I said that we can't sell it like that because it's a display and we don't sell displays sometimes.

So another girl that works with me told her the same thing and she said to she wanted us to find out if we could sell it. Well the furniture guy said that we can sell it but we have to charge $40 dollars extra because it's already assembled and we don't assemble the products. She pretty much flipped out and said she wanted our managers name and she was going to complain online.

Well our manager came and gave it to her and so I checked her out but her card had to be called in and we called and waited. She got even more upset and told us to erase the whole order and try it again. We did and it worked and she was like why didn't you guys do this 15 minutes ago? I said well that's what we're supposed to do when that happens ma'am.

But she was already beyond that and it was just hilarious hearing what she said when she was trying to buy the chair. She said they were from New Orleans and they needed that specific chair to set up their home office. She needed to set it up immediately, I kept thinking to myself, "if she needs to set up her office so bad, why doesn't she just use a foldable chair or something?"

I had a hard time believing that she was from New Orleans, because she was a huge bitch. I swear if I ever saw her outside of work I'd probably slap her, she really deserves it. Her husband didn't even say anything and I said to myself "Damn man, control your bitch over there."

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I didn't have a bad day at work yesterday but it was pretty shitty..it seemed every customer that came in was a dick.

Dude, that sucks!

Duff McCartney
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Yep....I guess it's true what Nick Cave says....People just ain't no good.

ObiwanGinobili
09-09-2005, 07:03 PM
aww angel!! (((((HUG)))))

I know this is a new job and you were all excited to get it.. but OMG your boss is a massivly bitchy unprofessional mess!
Her "concerns" about the way ya'll were wotking that project did not in any way require yelling, screaming, and threats of job loss.
thats completly ridicules.
you truly are an angel :angel to put up with that kinda BS.
she couldn't even acknowledge all the extra work ya'll were doing to fix SOMEONE ELSE"S MESS. beeeeotch!
heck- i even think her deal about "who would be accountable" is complete crap because she as the boss is always the one accountable when a problem is brought to the company by a customer.

so here, I got this for you.
http://photos5.flickr.com/7892570_2b4fba84fe.jpg
Cheer up!

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
The Slovenian Mafia has been informed. They will have a quiet word with your boss. Expect her attitude to improve dramatically.

:lol

That really sucks, I hope you are feeling better by now.

Anyway, a page that might help you, and any other poster feeling a bit angry about how their bosses behave:

http://www.doodie.com/whack.php

CharlieMac
09-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I'll eat her soul for you.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 07:34 PM
so here, I got this for you.
http://photos5.flickr.com/7892570_2b4fba84fe.jpg
Cheer up!

The Slovenian Mafia has been informed. They will have a quiet word with your boss. Expect her attitude to improve dramatically.

You've both made me an offer I cannot refuse!

Grazi!

= )

boutons
09-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Reminds me of the Chris Rock joke about why women will never rule the world:

"Women hate women"

:lol

ShoogarBear
09-09-2005, 09:22 PM
angel, your post was pretty articulate. You could have pretty much said it verbatim and made your boss look foolish. Did you try saying that to your boss, or were you too flustered at the time?

MI21
09-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Call her a whore?

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 09:36 PM
The boss who yelled at me is the owner of the ( small) company so her word is law.

I explained to my boss what happened with the pictures and why I made the decisions I did. My conscience was perfectly clear so that was no problem.

As for the yelling, I kept all my feelings on it to myself. I was very upset and worried I would say something I would regret later.

jochhejaam
09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
That is a shame, I hate to see someone mistreated or bullied.

Me and nine of my co-workers meet with our supervisor every morning. About once a week he gets into loud crazy shouting matches with one of the guys, it's crazy, sometimes hilarious. Sometimes he gets so unnerved he's literally shaking. There usually both in the wrong so there's seldom any disciplinary action.

I guess you're not in a position where you can yell back.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 09:41 PM
That is a shame, I hate to see someone mistreated or bullied.

Me and nine of my co-workers meet with our supervisor every morning. About once a week he gets into loud crazy shouting matches with one of the guys, it's crazy, sometimes hilarious. Sometimes he gets so unnerved he's literally shaking. There usually both in the wrong so there's seldom any disciplinary action.

I guess you're not in a position where you can yell back.

I hate ( angry) yelling with a passion. I don't think anyone should have to endure it.

1Parker1
09-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Angel, you need to pull a Big_Zak, quit that job that you don't even like in the first place, and follow your dreams. :)

If I were you, I'd least go into her office on Monday and tell her that while you didn't realize working together would cause such a problem, you didn't appreciate being yelled at and spoken to in that tone of voice in front of your co-workers. You should tell her what you told us here, that you were just trying to fix the problem together and that there was no room anywhere else in the building to complete the project.

Finish off by tell her that you are her employee, not her 6 year old daughter and that you'd appreciate it if she kept her tone down the next time she spoke with you. :)

Hell, give me the bitch's number........

timvp
09-09-2005, 09:50 PM
Angel, you and Rasho seem to take being yelled at extremely well. I am beginning to think that you and him were meant for each other.

Whoosh.

:smokin

1Parker1
09-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Angel, you and Rasho seem to take being yelled at extremely well. I am beginning to think that you and him were meant for each other.

Whoosh.

:lmao

Damn, TimVP, it's like kicking a sick dog or something.......:

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Hell, give me the bitch's number........

LOL! I'll tell her the President wants to speak to her.

Finish off by tell her that you are her employee, not her 6 year old daughter

Funny! She sure resembled Mommy Dearest! :lol

In all seriousness, I am not at all attached to this job but I do want to give it a fair chance.
The company takes a holiday break when school is out in December. If I am still not satisfied, I will get new job then and just not go back.

The biggest reason ( outside of bills) that I am staying at the photo place is that my schedule is flexible which means I get to keep my dream job at the SBC Center.

1Parker1
09-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Well, I think you should still let her know that you were uncomfortable with her yelling at you like that. Rule #1 in Corporate America...."If you let people walk over you once, they'll walk over you twice."

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Rule #1 in Corporate America...."If you let people walk over you once, they'll walk over you twice."

Well if she yells at me like that again, she'll have to try to stomp on me as I walk out the door.

angel_luv
09-09-2005, 10:08 PM

Whoosh.

:elephant Well then hook a sista up! = )

angel_luv
09-10-2005, 01:08 PM
I just now remembered part of what my employer said to me yesterday. Trauma you know. :rolleyes

I must admit she has a colorful manner of expressing herself.

" You guys are babies ( In the company. I've only been there three weeks.) We're still wiping your butts.
If this happens again, you're gone. I'll replace you immediately. You''ll have no job."

duncan_21
09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
eh, I thought rasho got traded from reading the title of the thread.

I would do something to get your boss back. I'm thinking either egging his/her car or knocking him/her across the head with a bat.

angel_luv
09-10-2005, 10:05 PM
eh, I thought rasho got traded from reading the title of the thread.

Shudder! May there never be such a post.

How sad, everyone BUT Rasho knows how devoted I am to him.

E20
09-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Take a fat dump inside a brown paper bag, place it on her doorstep, then burn it up and ring her doorbell like 3 times.

Works like a charm everytime. :tu

batman2883
09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
i would never treat you like that...

SWC Bonfire
09-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I must have missed this thread. Poor little angel...

I'm sure half a bottle of vodka and dreams of Rasho made everything better again. :lol

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I was dreading going back to work today but it wasn't too bad.
We are in our busy season so the office atmosphere is always a bit rushed and tense.

My manager was on vacation Friday so this morning was my first opportunity to tell him what happened to me. He was sympathetic- said he wouldn't have blamed me for walking after how my boss acted.

The other two workers involved in my situtation on Friday were fired by my boss today. They left quickly and so I don't know the particulars.

For some reason I am an office favorite. My boss was perfectly nice today and has even told me that she sees me as one of the future leaders of my division.
I just hope the new postition comes with a raise.

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I must have missed this thread. Poor little angel...

I'm sure half a bottle of vodka and dreams of Rasho made everything better again. :lol

Don't you mean Slovenian Brandy? :lol

Actually that time at Kori's was the first and last time I've ever had alcohol. That lighter fluid ( sorry Rah and Slovenia ) cured me! = )

T Park
09-12-2005, 06:31 PM
should've told your boss to: STFU

Yeah, that would've been intelligent.

spurs=bling
09-12-2005, 06:32 PM
Don't you mean Slovenian Brandy? :lol

Actually that time at Kori's was the first and last time I've ever had alcohol. That lighter fluid ( sorry Rah and Slovenia ) cured me! = )

I take it you like rasho, i'm new so i don't know

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 06:33 PM
I take it you like rasho, i'm new so i don't know

I've seen your posts. Welcome!

Yes I luv Rasho... ask anyone on here! = )

spurs=bling
09-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I've seen your posts. Welcome!

Yes I luv Rasho... ask anyone on here! = )
cool, i think beno is good lookin' but thats just me.

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
cool, i think beno is good lookin' but thats just me.

Beno is a cutie too. Rasho is the best though!

spurs=bling
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
rasho is not that bad

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 06:42 PM
rasho is not that bad
Gee, thanks! :lol
The sad thing is that is one of the nicest things people on here have said about him.

:rolleyes Critics! :lol

spurs=bling
09-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Gee, thanks! :lol
The sad thing is that is one of the nicest things people on here have said about him.

:rolleyes Critics! :lol

i didn't mean it that way raso is better lookin' than ben with the stupid fro

angel_luv
09-12-2005, 10:10 PM
you all right!

= ) extends hand of friendship

spurs=bling
09-12-2005, 11:07 PM
http://scd.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1095542285 winner :makeout < angel & rasho :angel

http://scd.mm-c1.yimg.com/image/1062733117 loser :vomit

the best lookin' man is rasho

batman2883
09-13-2005, 07:59 AM
ha ha ha ha ha Rasho gets no love around here except form Angel....sorry the guy just cant play