PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio- Would you trade for him?

cd98
06-02-2015, 03:37 PM
He can't shoot, but he is a great passer. I imagine that if he could ever develop a consistent jumper it would be with the Spurs. I don't know about his defense, but I assume as a Euro, he plays no defense. My biggest problem with him, however, would be how he spends half the season on the IR. Other than that, I would enjoy watching his passing game...it reminds me of Manu. http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238042/Wolves-Willing-To-Trade-Ricky-Rubio-In-Right-Deal

Splits
06-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Yeah, let's sign the worst starting PG in the league. He doesn't belong in the NBA.

dabom
06-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Fuck no dude.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
Rubio to LA to pass all the passes to Kobe

hater
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
I'd take pretty much anyone for porker tbh

Seventyniner
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
As bad as Parker's contract is, Rubio's is worse.

cd98
06-02-2015, 03:48 PM
When Tim retires the Spurs will suck. Might as well enjoy some fancy passes while the Spurs are losing by 20 points. His contract is more or less the same as Parker's.

Beaverfuzz
06-02-2015, 03:49 PM
No, he stinks worse than Tony...although he wouldn't cost nearly as much?

DECISIONS DECISIONS!

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 04:01 PM
When Tim retires the Spurs will suck. Might as well enjoy some fancy passes while the Spurs are losing by 20 points. His contract is more or less the same as Parker's.

I don't know why people keep saying this. If the Spurs keep Kawhi & Danny, that is a nice little foundation for the next 3-5 years (especially if Kawhi keeps improving). Will they be year after year contenders like they have been? Probably not, but suck? I don't know.

Chinook
06-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Lol. They've finally given up on him in 2K. That's how bad it's gotten.

Seventyniner
06-02-2015, 04:11 PM
For those who don't know:

Rubio
2015-2016: $12,700,000
2016-2017: $13,400,000
2017-2018: $14,100,000
2018-2019: $14,800,000

Parker
2015-2016: $13,437,500
2016-2017: $14,445,313
2017-2018: $15,453,126
2018-2019: Free agent

Yes, Rubio actually has a worse contract relative to his production than Parker.

cd98
06-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Lol. They've finally given up on him in 2K. That's how bad it's gotten.

Well, given that they drafted two point guards in the lottery, and one of those two was not Stephen Curry, who was available, yes, things are pretty bad in T'Wolf land. You can only expect them to blow the #1 this year as well.

cd98
06-02-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't know why people keep saying this. If the Spurs keep Kawhi & Danny, that is a nice little foundation for the next 3-5 years (especially if Kawhi keeps improving). Will they be year after year contenders like they have been? Probably not, but suck? I don't know.

I used to think that. But the Clipper series was an eye opener. Kawhi showed up for a few games, but really only Timmy showed up to win that series. I'm just skeptical Kawhi is a number 1. He feels more like a number 2. And we don't even know if Danny will be on the team next year, but even if he is, he's only a role player. If we were in the East, maybe the team sans Manu and Tim is good enough to make the playoffs and win a first round series. But in the West, they don't make the playoffs without Tim.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 04:23 PM
I used to think that. But the Clipper series was an eye opener. Kawhi showed up for a few games, but really only Timmy showed up to win that series. I'm just skeptical Kawhi is a number 1. He feels more like a number 2. And we don't even know if Danny will be on the team next year, but even if he is, he's only a role player. If we were in the East, maybe the team sans Manu and Tim is good enough to make the playoffs and win a first round series. But in the West, they don't make the playoffs without Tim.

Kawhi doesn't have to be a number one to be a good team. He's proven he can at least be a number 3, number 2 seems likely and number 1 isn't unrealistic. When Tim leaves (and Manu) the Spurs actually get to replace those guys. Will they get another Tim? Very likely not, but I don't think they will suck. They are a great front office, will have some solid pieces and then can use cap space to fill out the team.

cd98
06-02-2015, 04:23 PM

Rubio

Parker

Yes, Rubio actually has a worse contract relative to his production than Parker.

I don't totally disagree. But I would say that Parker is as good as he will get, and even if last year was an aberration, he will still have a decline over the next three years because he is on the wrong side of 30. Rubio is 24 and has been on a team that has done a lousy job of developing its players' talents. No question he is an elite passer. He came into the league that way. Could he develop a jumper with the Spurs? If Kawhi could, I think Rubio could. The question is will he be healthy (he has missed most of the last couple of seasons). If he developed a jumper, I think that contract would actually be a good deal. A lot of "ifs" on development and health, but it at least allows discussion during the summer and a month out of the draft.

cd98
06-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Kawhi doesn't have to be a number one to be a good team. He's proven he can at least be a number 3, number 2 seems likely and number 1 isn't unrealistic. When Tim leaves (and Manu) the Spurs actually get to replace those guys. Will they get another Tim? Very likely not, but I don't think they will suck. They are a great front office, will have some solid pieces and then can use cap space to fill out the team.

Yes, they have a great front office. The problem is that it is hard to get a top notch free agent. Most teams have to improve through the draft and just make the right picks. Look at GS. Their free agent signings have been mostly mediocre. I think they hit it big on the Bogut trade; that was just a smart move. But most of their talent has come from getting the right picks in the draft: Curry, Barnes, Green, and Thompson. I hope that we can rebuild quickly, but if we can't get free agents, and the team fills the Duncan spot with a mediocre big, then we win 40 games and get a late lottery spot, which would suck for us. Better off losing and getting good lottery picks and hoping Spurs hit payday with them.

DPG21920
06-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Well, when someone says blanketly that "Spurs will suck when Tim is gone" I don't think that is true. It's definitely possible, but whether it's through draft/fa/trades or all (which it will be) I don't think the Spurs will suck. Maybe they miss the playoffs some, but I don't think you see the franchise crumble which is what suck implies to me.

cd98
06-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Well, when someone says blanketly that "Spurs will suck when Tim is gone" I don't think that is true. It's definitely possible, but whether it's through draft/fa/trades or all (which it will be) I don't think the Spurs will suck. Maybe they miss the playoffs some, but I don't think you see the franchise crumble which is what suck implies to me.

Well, suck by Spur standards, which are admittedly lofty. I think the bigger point is that Rubio is fun to watch (for his passing) and it would be better to watch him play for a Spurs team that is no longer a contender than to watch Tony, who will be in decline and probably not happy playing on a non-contender for the first time in his career.

tholdren
06-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Lmao at Rubio. I guess at the gm. I know what they were trying to do, increase the market with a foreigner who could throw decent passes. But seriously I would not trade any piece of sa for Rubio save errors.

wildcardX
06-02-2015, 05:04 PM
For what Rubio gets paid, might as well just bring back Nando if I just wanted someone who passes. I rather just keep developing Cory.

baseline bum
06-02-2015, 05:53 PM
No, fuck no.

cjw
06-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Lmao at Rubio. I guess at the gm. I know what they were trying to do, increase the market with a foreigner who could throw decent passes. But seriously I would not trade any piece of sa for Rubio save errors.

I wouldn't even trade Ayres (assuming he were signed at least year's cap number, and assuming the Spurs had cap space to make the trade happen) for Rubio. Opportunity cost is the lost cap space. It's why you almost never see trades happen in the NFL. Possibly the worst shooter in the league at his position at a cap clogging value? I'd rather at least have Parker's scoring. His defense is probably much better than Parker's though.

DJR210
06-02-2015, 09:01 PM
That faggot is hurt most of the season every year for one thing..

lefty
06-02-2015, 09:36 PM
He is shit but he is 100 times better than Parker

And he is skinny

exstatic
06-02-2015, 11:13 PM
Rubio is Rondo, minus even his remaining shitty defense. He is ineffective without the ball, a first, second, and third strike all at the same time in our offense.

lefty
06-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Parker is Rondo, minus even his remaining shitty defense. He is ineffective without the ball, a first, second, and third strike all at the same time in our offense.

Sounds about right

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 12:35 AM
He is shit but he is 100 times better than Parker

And he is skinnyNo he is not and he sure as hell is not proven... Skinny though yes.

lefty
06-03-2015, 01:28 AM
TOny is still unproven tbh

He has been carried by Tim

Sean Cagney
06-03-2015, 01:38 AM
TOny is still unproven tbh

He has been carried by Tim
Yep, a guy who has been an all star x amount of times and has been on 4 title teams as the starting PG is unproven. Rubio has done so much more in his career than Tony has.... Pass on Rubio, he sucks. Tony had a horrible year last year indeed and he gets paid alot, Rubio never had a good year and gets paid alot, pass......

Mal
06-03-2015, 03:37 AM
I`d trade Parker for him. Straight up.

spursparker9
06-03-2015, 05:16 AM
Can't shoot, Can't defend, Can't dunk, Can't stay healthy.

But still probably better than Enrique

Chinook
06-03-2015, 05:29 AM
I'd trade for him if the first-overall pick was coming back.

elbamba
06-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I would have to see what else came in the trade.

hater
06-03-2015, 09:15 AM

A kawhi danny core doesnt even make the playoffs. So yeah. They will suck

If spurs were in the east I might agree with you. But spurs are in the West.

DPG21920
06-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Kawhi & DG would be existing pieces. Spurs would fill out the roster w other players.

hater
06-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Kawhi & DG would be existing pieces. Spurs would fill out the roster w other players.

You said foundation.

A kawhi Danny core doesnt make the playoffs regardless of the other players

JohnnyMax
06-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Rubio = Rondo

He can defend and pass but sucks at everything else

DPG21920
06-03-2015, 05:35 PM
You said foundation.

That's crazy. They've already proven to be big pieces of a title team. If you surround them with some other max talent, they compete.

exstatic
06-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Rubio = Rondo

He can defend and pass but sucks at everything else

Rubio poaches the occasional steal in a passing lane, but couldn't stay in front of 2015 Parker. He's a horrible defender.

hater
06-03-2015, 07:32 PM
That's crazy. They've already proven to be big pieces of a title team. If you surround them with some other max talent, they compete.

They are good role players. Kawhi is a great 3rd banana. That's about it.

Hell you put them next to a franchise player like Gasol and they go 2 rounds min in the playoffs. They are no championship team thou they still would need a great 2nd banana ahead of them.

But again. You said foundation. They are no foundation. You still need 1 franchise player as foundation to compete and 2 to be a championship team.

dabom
06-03-2015, 09:06 PM
hater doesn't know what he says. Just look at all last year for example. :lmao

Chomag
06-03-2015, 09:16 PM
Would trade for Dragic

james evans
06-03-2015, 09:21 PM
I'd take pretty much anyone for porker tbh
I'd take calvin muprhy right now for parker.

james evans
06-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Rubio poaches the occasional steal in a passing lane, but couldn't stay in front of 2015 Parker. He's a horrible defender.
so basically he's parker on defense? haha

TheGoldStandard
06-03-2015, 09:26 PM
so basically he's parker on defense? haha

Except his Achilles injuries are legit

ceds
06-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Hes actually one of the better defenders at the pg position. Top 5 for sure when healthy....probably top 3

ViceCity86
06-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Not even the short bus crew will agree on this trade.

Sean Cagney
06-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Except his Achilles injuries are legit

Which is a good and a bad thing to be honest.
Hes actually one of the better defenders at the pg position. Top 5 for sure when healthy....probably top 3

What is healthy to him? Never? Tell me you are not basing this off of steals alone?

One Eastern Scout said this here.

“Rubio probably has the best vision of any guard in the NBA. Nobody has better vision. He can really deliver on the pass. But he’s very weak defensively, and he simply can’t shoot the ball. I don’t like players that can’t shoot because during the playoffs, you need a guy on the floor who can be a threat…Sure, if you put four great players around him, maybe. But he’s so terrible defensively and as a shooter that it’s tough.”

ceds
06-04-2015, 12:43 AM
No steals aside, he is one of the best help defenders in the L from the guard position.

http://fansided.com/2013/03/26/ricky-rubio-defensive-wizard/

Isolation: 0.65ppp, 32.9% FG (Ranks 33rd, elite level)

The main complaint is his pick & roll defense ( he ALWAYS goes under)

His defense reminds me of manu in his prime

When healthy is does a pretty good job staying in front of his man and contesting but I agree about him being injury prone though..at this point he cant be counted on to play a full season until he proves otherwise

Sean Cagney
06-04-2015, 12:51 AM
No steals aside, he is one of the best help defenders in the L from the guard position.

http://fansided.com/2013/03/26/ricky-rubio-defensive-wizard/

Isolation: 0.65ppp, 32.9% FG (Ranks 33rd, elite level)

The main complaint is his pick & roll defense ( he ALWAYS goes under)

His defense reminds me of manu in his prime

When healthy is does a pretty good job staying in front of his man and contesting but I agree about him being injury prone though..at this point he cant be counted on to play a full season until he proves otherwise
Please, he is a bad defender man. You are not showing me some stat to prove to me Rubio is even a decent defender ceds. His D is nowhere near Manu's in his prime, are you serious man? When healthy? When is that? I agree on the last part you said no doubt but he is not a very good defender nor one of the better anything in the league on D (Help or man to man).

ceds
06-04-2015, 03:08 AM
If your judging him on last season in the games he played post surgery and never fully fit then i agree his defense wasnt upto par or anything close to elite. However, its not unreasonable to think that with a fresh training camp under his belt and going into next season healthy he can regain his quickness .

I just gave you the stats - synergy numbers

In Isolation: 0.65ppp, 32.9% FG (Ranks 33rd, elite level)

Confirms that he does a very good job staying In front of his man and contesting in isolation. His combination of size, wingspan and quick feet make it difficult to get past him. Add his help defense (the link I posted before shows many examples) and steal totals and hes almost there.

The main criticism is his P&R defense which is horrible and probably (alomg with Lilard) the worst in the L from the point position . Playing with love / peko im sure didnt help ...He needs more strength to fight through screens or play with a big that can hedge and recover. Drafting Towns would go along way in hiding this weakness

DMC
06-04-2015, 07:57 AM
You said foundation.

That's nonsensical since they made the playoffs this year. Just call Kawhi and Danny the core, since you said "regardless of the other players".

hater
06-04-2015, 10:47 AM
That's nonsensical since they made the playoffs this year. Just call Kawhi and Danny the core, since you said "regardless of the other players".

As a core. If you go and get lebron or Durant. Kawhi and green cease to be the core or foundation.

cd98
06-04-2015, 12:33 PM
No need to overdebate the Spurs when Duncan and Manu leave. I do think they are going to hit rock bottom before they become a contender. It's possible they plug some holes with free agents, though rarely is a game-changer ever a free agent, and when there is one, it's hard to get them, so I don't know that the Spurs are going to sign free agents that can replace what Tim and Manu gave us. Parker, even if last year is an abberation, will start to decline to the point that you can't count on him being an all-star, though he could still be a productive player. No guarantee Danny is on the team beyond this season, but if he is, he's limited, so I don't know why he is a "core" player. He can shoot threes created for him by the system and he is a top notch defender. He's not an all-star talent. Kawhi is probably a two, not a good enough ball handler and scorer to be top dog, but I agree that he could be a number two, especially as a two-way player. Absent adding a Gasol to the team this offseason, the Spurs are in danger of being a 40 win team that finishes out of the playoffs and at the bottom of the lottery. If that happens, better to implode than to continue in mediocrity.

JohnnyMax
06-04-2015, 01:14 PM
ceds confirms what I said about Ricky Rubio being a good defender

Sean Cagney
06-04-2015, 01:37 PM
If your judging him on last season in the games he played post surgery and never fully fit then i agree his defense wasnt upto par or anything close to elite. However, its not unreasonable to think that with a fresh training camp under his belt and going into next season healthy he can regain his quickness .

I just gave you the stats - synergy numbers

In Isolation: 0.65ppp, 32.9% FG (Ranks 33rd, elite level)

Confirms that he does a very good job staying In front of his man and contesting in isolation. His combination of size, wingspan and quick feet make it difficult to get past him. Add his help defense (the link I posted before shows many examples) and steal totals and hes almost there.

The main criticism is his P&R defense which is horrible and probably (alomg with Lilard) the worst in the L from the point position . Playing with love / peko im sure didnt help ...He needs more strength to fight through screens or play with a big that can hedge and recover. Drafting Towns would go along way in hiding this weakness

So he is now a Good defender because of some advanced stats? You can use those or you can just watch a game when he plays and see he is not really a good defender Ceds, no post is going to convince me this guy is good on defense. I have seen him play, he is not very good on defense. Some look at steals and say oh they must be a good defender and that is a stat, but it doesn't tell nearly the whole story does it? If you take out D on this argument we still are left with his horrible shooting! He is a very bad shooter as well and there is no way I want that on the Spurs when they rely on the outside shot a lot of times when the paint is clogged or Tim is down there. I agree on his P&R defense as well, that part is true and you are right there.

Maybe on the Spurs he improves? I would bet his D would improve but then again Tony's has not through the years very much. It's all a moot point though because he will be in Minny unless he gets traded and the Spurs are not even rumored to be interested so this is another silly I thought up in my head offseason thread that someone comes and posts after a dream or a thought they had. I guess it doesn't matter because he is not our problem.
ceds confirms what I said about Ricky Rubio being a good defender

He is not a good defender, he said help defender up there an a horrible P&R defender if you look at the stats. I disagree even being a good defender but he could improve some I guess with some help.

manufan10
06-04-2015, 03:40 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/yr2qSstSRwTug/giphy.gif

http://replygif.net/i/272.gif

G-Dawgg
06-04-2015, 04:35 PM
Nope. Dude is brutal...

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2016, 09:59 PM
What y'all think now?

You all want a defender at the Point, and his and Parker's contract is pretty similar except Rubio's is a year longer.

TXstbobcat
05-17-2016, 10:01 PM
I work with a lot of Timberwolve fans and most of them have been begging for the wolves to get rid of Rubio.

TheGreatYacht
05-17-2016, 10:05 PM
He can also recruit Gasol :wow

SD126
05-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Uh.....no

spurtech09
05-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Injury prone.

DrunkTXLabrat
05-17-2016, 10:32 PM
as a spurs defector, who's chosen the warriors bandwagon and the wolves incredible stacking of youth... i would take Diaw, Anderson, and a spurs 1st for wolves 2nd swap.

cd98
05-17-2016, 11:07 PM
I'd take him. He's Manu like in his ability to make others better.

Lerojo
05-18-2016, 01:06 AM
Due to our competition in the western conference, Spurs need a defensive minded pg who can pass the ball. Someone like Patrick Beverly would be perfect.

SD126
05-18-2016, 01:23 AM
Due to our competition in the western conference, Spurs need a defensive minded pg who can pass the ball. Someone like Patrick Beverly would be perfect.

Kawhitstorm
05-18-2016, 01:56 AM
What y'all think now?

You all want a defender at the Point, and his and Parker's contract is pretty similar except Rubio's is a year longer.

Rubio has to play in a spread offense like the Hawks or fast paced offense like the Kings, good luck running PnP w/ a non-shooter.:lol (Even the Mavs used Jason Terry to run PnPs w/ Dirk instead of Kidd)

SD126
05-18-2016, 01:58 AM

Rubio

Parker

SD126
05-18-2016, 01:59 AM

Top 3 PG defender in 2k???

SD126
05-18-2016, 02:00 AM
What y'all think now?

I stopped after you said defender. Rubio and defender some belong in the same sentence.

AFMadison
05-18-2016, 02:30 AM
Hell no