PDA

View Full Version : 09/11/01 A slideshow for Remembrance

ZStomp
09-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Well, in two days- four years have passed since that horrible day. I found this slideshow online and thought it would be fitting to post here as a remembrance.

What a day.

What were you doing that morning?

I was working at the SAPD dispatchers office that morning. I didn't do much work that day. I wanted to watch TV all day in the break room. I was in there a lot that day. I didn't go to class (@ UTSA) that night. Every other school canceled class that day except UTSA. Booo

http://www.uselessjunk.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2440&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1

CharlieMac
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
The National Geographic Chanel I believe had a great special on that about 2 weeks ago. I mean a really detailed account from the planning to the actual attack themselves with plenty of background of all the hijackers and some emotional interviews from people who escaped the towers. It was rough to watch.

BigDaddyMatty
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
I was just getting off after working a night shift, and my mom told me that something happened in New York. I turned on the T.V. and about 10 seconds later the 2nd plane hit. Didn't move from the T.V. for about 12 hours.

ZStomp
09-09-2005, 05:56 PM
The National Geographic Chanel I believe had a great special on that about 2 weeks ago. I mean a really detailed account from the planning to the actual attack themselves with plenty of background of all the hijackers and some emotional interviews from people who escaped the towers. It was rough to watch.

I saw that. i have it on my DVR..it was very interesting.

CharlieMac
09-09-2005, 05:57 PM
You know, one thing that bothers me to this day is that I was drunk off of my ass the morning that happened. My roommate woke me up to tell me what was happening and I was puking trying to watch the news. If anything, putting something like that into perspective will sober you up quick. I stil feel horrible when I think about it.

SpursWoman
09-09-2005, 06:01 PM
In two days, 27 years ago someone very special to me was born. :makeout

In two days, 4 years ago, I was sitting in the dentist's chair getting a tooth fixed, listening to radio coverage of a plane that ran into one of the WTC towers. Assuming it was someone's personal plane, my dentist and I proceeded to make tasteless jokes about someone being pissed at their investment banker for losing all of his money in the crappy economy of the time, and crashed his plane into his office.

Not long after the coverage turned into the second plane, my dentist & I realized that we were both going to hell. :depressed

Has it really been 4 years already? :wow :wow :wow

midgetonadonkey
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
I was smoking a joint with my friend waiting to go to class when we heard about the first plane hitting. We skipped class the rest of the day and just burned j after j watching the coverage. Crazy shit man. That was crazy shit.

A Serbian Beast
09-09-2005, 07:31 PM
I went to a Catholic grade school. I was in the 6th grade, and we just got out of church and sat down and started learning stuff. Then someone got on the PA and told us that a plane hit the WTC. Then the whole school said a prayer for the people. I remember sitting there trying to think of what the heck the WTC was. The teacher was in shock, while we were confused at the time. Then we turned on the tv and watched what was going on. I didn't see the second plane hit, or the towers come down. Some of the teachers still made us learn stuff, although learning was the last thing on our mind.

2Blonde
09-09-2005, 07:35 PM
My neighbor called me from work. He asked if my husband was still in DC at the Pentagon. I said yes. Then he told me what happened. I told him if he was joking I would kill him. It took my husband several hours to get through to me. Luckily their meeting that day was offsite at a hotel and not at the Pentagon. He was smart enough not to turn back in his rental car, so when they cancelled all air travel he just drove the rental all the way back to San Antonio. It took 3 days but at least he got home. I was never so scared in my life as those couple of hours before I heard from him. Not knowing if he was in the Pentagon or not. I never want to feel that way again.

spurschick
09-09-2005, 07:36 PM
I was at work, working on the Spurs media guide. The owner gave people the option to go home, but I still had a lot of work to do and a really tight deadline, so I stayed there and worked for most of the day. Then I went home and baked chocolate chip cookies. Just seemed like the thing to do.

Jelly
09-09-2005, 07:52 PM
This is gonna make me sound like a total ditz...

I was driving to my office (late as usual) in Washington DC. It was a beautiful morning, I was in a great mood and I only wanted to rock out, so was blasting my stereo. I wasn't interested in the news of the day and as each station interrupted with "breaking news" I just changed it to another station. I was changing the stations constantly to get away from the news. I did hear snippets about a plane crash, then possible terrorist attacks (I rolled my eyes at that since I think reporters can be so melodramatic) but kept changing the station because I just was not in the mood for news, especially exaggerated media hysteria. As I got closer to downtown, I thought "wow, lots of police cars and FBI and secret service are out today. hmmm.". Then several roadblocks went up for "no apparent reason", which totally pissed me off. Finally, I noticed that every car but mine was leaving the city. It was mass exodus. So I stopped changing the station and finally listened to the news. By now reporters were freaking out and crying. I learned the Pentagon had just been hit and I was within a mile. With the music no longer blaring, I could finally hear my phone. It was my sister calling to check on me. It was her 11th call to me in 30 minutes, but I couldn't hear the phone over my radio.

I went to the office anyway, but it was a skeleton crew. The dozen of us that were there did nothing but watch events unfold on television. It was surreal.

Ginofan
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I was sitting in my car waiting to go to class @ UTSA listening to the radio. I must've sat there for at least an hour listening to all of it. Skipped my first class but decided to go second class, Politics. I remember seeing television sets set up in hallways with crowds of students around them all staring in disbelief. In my Politics class all we did was talk about it and speculate what would happen. When I got home I think I watched the news coverage all day long and the next day too, I just couldn't change the channel...just got glued to the TV.

Horry For 3!
09-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, in two days- four years have passed since that horrible day. I found this slideshow online and thought it would be fitting to post here as a remembrance.

What a day.

What were you doing that morning?

http://www.uselessjunk.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2440&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1
I was in Junior in HS, I found out in my English 3 class. Then when I went to my World Geography class, it was said that one of the towers just had fell and then I watched it on TV in my Spanish 2 class.

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 09:37 PM
I was on my way to work and my office was at St. Philips Southwest Campus across the way from Kelly AFB. I was a little bit late and when I got there I heard that there was breaking news. So instead of going inside right away (even though I was late) I listened. They said that a plane had hit the WTC but they made it seem like it was a small plane. So I went inside and told my coworkers. I was trying to find it online and I called my mom to see if she had heard anything. Across the Hall in the Deans office they were watching it and finally my supervisor pulled a tv into his office. When the second plane hit we knew it wasn't an accident. They evacuated the school and I went to my grandparents house to pick them up and then brought them home (they lived close to the base and we were worried that there might be an attack on the base). We were glued to the tv from then on. It's just one of those things you don't forget. I can't even remember what I did last week but this just stays with me.

I was reading an article in the paper a few weeks after 9/11 and they had a story about Paul Battaglia (http://www.battaglia.org) ...a young man that lost his life that day. A member of a weblogging community, he blogged until the day he was killed. I found his blog and it was just so sad to read Guest Book entries from people that were wondering where he was "YOU WEREN'T IN THERE WERE YOU?". Ugh, it just gets me! His moms posts are the worst to read. So sad. When you go to his guestbook click the link that says "first post."

1Parker1
09-09-2005, 09:52 PM
I was a senior in HS and I found the principal made an annoucement over the Intercome immediately after the first plane hit...before it was verified that it was terrorism. We also thought that it was some kind of private plane that crashed into it. Then when we went to our next class...AP English I believe, my teacher turned on the TV in class and we all watched the coverage on ABC (With Peter Jennings :depressed). Then my principal made a second announcement saying that the Mayor has requested early dismisal for all Philly Schools....which at the time I was like Yaaaaaaaaay, we get to leave at 11!

I can't believe that happened 4 years ago! I'm about to graduate from College....

A Serbian Beast
09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I was reading an article in the paper a few weeks after 9/11 and they had a story about Paul Battaglia (http://www.battaglia.org) ...a young man that lost his life that day. A member of a weblogging community, he blogged until the day he was killed. I found his blog and it was just so sad to read Guest Book entries from people that were wondering where he was "YOU WEREN'T IN THERE WERE YOU?". Ugh, it just gets me! His moms posts are the worst to read. So sad. When you go to his guestbook click the link that says "first post."

Wow, I'm speechless really. :depressed

Useruser666
09-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I was about to have my birthday cake that day at work. As MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY IS SEPTEMBER 11!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Wow, I'm speechless really. :depressed

I am guessing you took a look at it. I can't even imagine what these people went through that knew someone that was there that day. Just heartbreaking.

A Serbian Beast
09-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I was about to have my birthday cake that day at work. As MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY IS SEPTEMBER 11!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!
Sorry you couldn't enjoy your birthday. Happy Birthday in 2 days tho.

A Serbian Beast
09-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I am guessing you took a look at it. I can't even imagine what these people went through that knew someone that was there that day. Just heartbreaking.
Yea, I did. I didn't read all of them, there were just way too many. It is sad when his mom says something tho. Like just the night before him and his sister were practice dancing for her sweet 16, then that next morning it happened. Then if you click "Work" under pictures. Its just...idk.

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Yea, I did. I didn't read all of them, there were just way too many. It is sad when his mom says something tho. Like just the night before him and his sister were practice dancing for her sweet 16, then that next morning it happened. Then if you click "Work" under pictures. Its just...idk.

Yes, his moms posts are the most difficult. Usually during the anniversary she will write something and its still hard to read. She still writes as if he's still around.

It's crazy seeing the work pictures. I had never been to NY before much less the WTC. He had a beautiful view though before he died. :depressed

A Serbian Beast
09-09-2005, 10:49 PM
How did you find his thing? Was it in the paper or just did a google on his name? Its just kind of weird because he created it right before he was killed. And its still around today, 4 years later.

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 10:53 PM
There was an article in the Local Newspaper about him. It didn't give out the web address so I googled for his name. I think his family keeps it up although there hasn't been a post in about a year. They created a Yahoo! group that I am a part of and they have a scholarship in his name for kids in NYC. It's been a while though since I've kept up with anything so I don't know what's going on w/the family now.

CharlieMac
09-09-2005, 10:57 PM

Wow. That was rough to read. especially his mom's first post. Were you the Sonia from here that posted?

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Wow. That was rough to read. especially his mom's first post. Were you the Sonia from here that posted?

I've posted about 3 times on there through my old email address... but yea that's me.

Horry For 3!
09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Damn and his desk was right aside the windows. :depressed

TOP-CHERRY
09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
My neighbor called me from work. He asked if my husband was still in DC at the Pentagon. I said yes. Then he told me what happened. I told him if he was joking I would kill him. It took my husband several hours to get through to me. Luckily their meeting that day was offsite at a hotel and not at the Pentagon. He was smart enough not to turn back in his rental car, so when they cancelled all air travel he just drove the rental all the way back to San Antonio. It took 3 days but at least he got home. I was never so scared in my life as those couple of hours before I heard from him. Not knowing if he was in the Pentagon or not. I never want to feel that way again.
:wow

I'm glad he was okay.

Spurfect
09-09-2005, 11:07 PM
holy cow it's been FOUR YEARS already? wow. anyway i had just started a new job the day before at an ob/gyn clinic. Had Sept. 11 off. I was asleep all morning and didn't realize anything happened until I turned the TV on at about 10, or 11 or so. Of course by then the coverage on it was all over the place. Like most everyone that was watching it at that time, I was glued to that TV for the rest of the day and night.

Sonia_TX
09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
http://www.pauljbattaglia.com/

Another website with more information on scholarships and such. Under the LINKS section they have up the link to the Express Article but it has expired already.

I didn't know anybody that day but reading about him and all the posts people wrote in his guestbook makes me feel like I did know him. Too bad it was under these circumstances.

Horry For 3!
09-09-2005, 11:12 PM
http://www.pauljbattaglia.com/

Another website with more information on scholarships and such. Under the LINKS section they have up the link to the Express Article but it has expired already.

I didn't know anybody that day but reading about him and all the posts people wrote in his guestbook makes me feel like I did know him. Too bad it was under these circumstances.
I looked at it. That is crazy, his desk was right aside of the Trade Center windows.

Spurfect
09-09-2005, 11:47 PM
wow that website was depressing as hell. now i'm crying.. thanks :(

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-10-2005, 12:43 AM

I was so pissed that my DVR screwed it up and I missed seeing that special.

I remember that day so well.

I remember I specifically set my alarm to get me up early so I could go downtown and try out for "The Weakest Link" since I thought it might be fun and I had the day off.

I remember hearing the radio turn on, but not getting up immediately. I remember I had it on the Ticket and Tony Bruno was on...I remember him saying something about being sad and asking people to pray because of the "accident" in New York with a plane crash.

I jumped out of bed and in my normal fashion, turned on my monitor and started trying to browse the news Web sites, but to no avail.

So I ran to the back of my house and turned on the TV only to see the second plane hit the tower and I think I just started shaking and such.

I called my mom's school and asked her if she had seen it and all she said was that they had seen it and that people were just going crazy.

I threw on some clothes and flew to the school and ran in (since they were close to lockdown). I go to the library where she worked and they had the TVs off since the district had sent a message to every school to turn them off. The only problem was teachers and parents kept coming in asking if we knew more, so we got permission to close the blinds in the library and have the TVs on.

We just kept watching and watching the coverage. Eventually, a number of people were hungry so I drove to McDonalds right down the road and bought a bunch of food. They had some black-and-white TV that got shitty reception and while I was talking with the manager, she told me she was worried about her kid at the school. I told her that the kids were being restricted from knowing what was going on and that none of the TVs in the classrooms were on.

I grabbed the food and drove back. About 20-30 teachers and staff started eating in the library while we had the coverage on. I distinctly remember having to run and turn a TV off since some of the kids walking by in the hall looked in through a crack in the blinds and having some teacher yell at me for doing it.

I remember snapping back at her, but I don't remember what I specifically said.

About an hour later, they started reporting that blood drives were being started around the city so I decided to drive to the Blood & Tissue center and getting in this HUGE line. They told us the wait time was about 2-3 hours from where I was at, but not one person complained.

About 20-30 minutes later, they came asking for people who wanted to donate platelets, which I normally do. Because I said yes, I got bumped up to the front of the line and was sitting down in 20 minutes.

Usually, you watch movies while you donate, but I asked them to put it on the news. That was about the time they kept replaying the videos of people jumping from the towers. I'm surprised I made it through without being sicker than I already felt.

I also remember getting into a media ethics discussion with my next-seat neighbor, a woman about 30 years old who seemed to love the discussion and had a lot of questions.

I remember finishing up and driving home. Walking in and just sitting there with my parents trying to figure everything out. I will never forget that day.

ZStomp
09-10-2005, 01:13 AM

:depressed

Cant_Be_Faded
09-10-2005, 11:32 AM

Lucky, indeed. Also coincidental that a huge portion of workers from the WTC and Pentagon were not in the building for other various issues. Glad your husband made it out though.

I was coming home from a morning class (i went to V-town Community) and watched it. The second plane had just struck and i was trying to get a grasp on what was going on. I fixed a toast and bacon sandwhich, watched some news coverage, then watched a little bit of All My Children. Then i picked up my backpack, was out the door, and went to my next class.

Ishta
09-10-2005, 11:38 AM
There are no words to begin to explain how I felt that day.I will never forget the feelings that hit me, and my family.That day was surreal.I hope to never go through it again. My day started off normally, but took a left hand turn real quick. My oldest daughter had just started school, My parents were in San Antonio, we were in Dallas..It was awful.just awful:depressed

1Parker1
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Has anyone on the forum ever visited ground zero? I went there about 7 months after it happened........and to see it in person is just heartbreaking. There must have been at least 400 people there the day I went.....and it was dead silent as people just looked around at all the memorbillia that was left, the wall of photos and personal things family and friends of the lost left in their wake, and police officers patrolling the area. It was crazy to be in an area of NYC where when you look up.....you could actually see the sky and sunlight instead of another skyscraper blocking the view.

TOP-CHERRY
09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
^Were those nets w/ the quotes about the city there already when you visited? The quotes were awesome.

1Parker1
09-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Hmm...What do you mean nets? I don't think so. There was like a whole wall that was just filled with stuff. I did some great quotes and poems and stuff amogst it.

TheAdmiral#50
09-10-2005, 08:53 PM
WE WILL NEVER FORGET....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/xeagles01.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/usalf.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/payton34smith22/JihadThis.jpg

smeagol
09-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I was at work on 51st and 7th, in Midtown Manhattan, when our group's secretary received a call from a friend that was in downtown saying that a plane hat hit one of the Twin Towers.

We changed the TV channel to CNN but they were still showing the regular program. 20 seconds later they cut to a live shot of the crash and started reporting non stop the attack (which at the time, people thought it was an accident). Some of us went to the south side of our building. We could see the North Tower in flames and the hole the plane has left. Probably an image I will never forget.

I went back and called my mom and two friends in Argentina. While I was on the phone with one of them, the second plane hit. Around 10.30, our building was evacuated. I walked home (the streets of Manhattan were full of people). I called my wife and told her to get her ass home, that there were still reports of unaccounted planes. Obviously she did not do as I said and came home around 2.30 PM. We spent most of the afternoon trying to contact our frinds and acquaintances which worked and lived inthe City.

The next day I went to work. It was the most erie site I have ever seen. There was no car to be found on the streets of Manhattan. Those streets and avenues were there is always cars and noise, were ghost streets. I got to work and there must have been 5 people at the office (when usually there is more than 100); the guys who lived walking distance from work.

That Saturday (I believe 9/11/01 was a Tuesday) me and my wife we walked towards downtown to see how far we could go. Every time we walked infront of a fire station we saw kids' drawings and letters with prayers stuck to the walls and flowers (lots of them) and candles. I broke down and cried several times (I saw walkers-bye just hugging for no reason with fire fighters; it was very touching).

We got as far as we could (Canal Street) and we saw ambulances, fire trucks and other vehicles going from and back to Ground Zero. Every time one of this vehicles that came from Ground Zero full of rescuers and volunteers drove by us, people cheered. Again, I cried.

Damn, I get chills just remembering.

ZStomp
09-10-2005, 10:24 PM
There was a photoshopped picture of the Statue of LIberty flipping the bird and saying something to the likes of "we're coming for you fuckers"...anyone have that picture?

A Serbian Beast
09-10-2005, 11:14 PM
9/11/01 was a Tuesday.
http://vikingphoenix.com/immigration/oblcal911dl.jpg

http://www.thehumorsource.com/pictures/252.jpg

KEDA
09-10-2005, 11:21 PM
I remember that day like it was yesterday.

I was asleep when the first plane hit, but I remember waking when the special report came on (I sleep with the tv on), but they had not identified the plane as a commercial jetliner, so I thought it was a private plane, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. I then awoke to my mother running into my bedroom and screaming "we are under attack". I had no idea wht she was talking about, then she went on to explain that not 1 but 2 commercial airliners had crashed into the WTC.

I went downstairs and proceeded to stay glued to the television for the next 24 hrs. I had the day off on 9-11-01.

I will never forget 9-11-01!

spurschick
09-10-2005, 11:32 PM
There was a photoshopped picture of the Statue of LIberty flipping the bird and saying something to the likes of "we're coming for you fuckers"...anyone have that picture?

http://www.vankuik.nl/bart/browse/statue.of.liberty.jpeg

ZStomp
09-10-2005, 11:54 PM
http://www.vankuik.nl/bart/browse/statue.of.liberty.jpeg

Yes!!

Thanks Spurschick!

midgetonadonkey
09-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Fuck those bastards that did that. Fuck them hard in their butts.

A Serbian Beast
09-10-2005, 11:58 PM
1 bomb could kill them all too...hmmm.

ZStomp
09-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Remember!