PDA

View Full Version : Source: LMA eyeing new team, MAVS the favourite

spursparker9
06-09-2015, 09:13 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2483097-the-mavs-not-the-spurs-could-be-the-texas-team-to-lure-lamarcus-aldridge-away

RD2191
06-09-2015, 09:15 AM
stopped reading at mavs

spurspokesman
06-09-2015, 09:16 AM
When will they learn?.........Spurs always getting pawned out lol.

spursparker9
06-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Could be seeing the performance of Enrique....

06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
No surprise. With Duncan and Ginobili possibly coming back, and the Spurs needing to lock up Kawhi and Danny, I always felt like it was a long shot.

Not that I trust Bleacher report for reporting this. They're just echoing my gut instinct.

benstanfield
06-09-2015, 09:25 AM
So he's going to start at center and be Dirk's rim protector

http://i.imgur.com/GvYdMuf.gif

tmtcsc
06-09-2015, 09:29 AM
"Both the Mavericks and Spurs, of course, could have the requisite cap space, reputation of success and location."

Oh really? When did that happen? 5>1.

benstanfield
06-09-2015, 09:37 AM
While I'd be happy if he went to the Spurs, I do derive satisfaction from watching Cuban's yearly experiment in TED talk shark tank GM load-blowing result in 1st round exits. Will they trot out Devin Harris or Steve Blake at starting PG next year? Jose Calderon still has some gas left in the tank?

Andre Miller?

coachmac87
06-09-2015, 09:45 AM
If Spurs are going to pursue LMA he will be a Spur. But if they don't I think it's easy to say Mavs are the favorite...Mavs aren't a really good fit tho. If I was LMA I would stay in Portland instead of playing for the Mavs

Dancelot
06-09-2015, 10:05 AM
So he's going to start at center and be Dirk's rim protector

http://i.imgur.com/GvYdMuf.gif
nice dude

hater
06-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Probably coming down to the city.

Dallas > Alamo

kobyz
06-09-2015, 11:06 AM
Spurs better do the best to sign Paul Milsap...

kobyz
06-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Delon wright, monta Ellis, chandler parsons, LMA, Dirk... Mavs will be better than the spurs next year!

Darius Bieber
06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
How is anyone surprised by this? No big-name free agent is coming to San Antonio willingly.

K...
06-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Several sources have indicated that the Spurs, for whatever reason, are either off his list or not very high on it.

Aha the old tspence sources reappear. This bleach report guy must be connected to the max

This is full length fan fiction here

DPG21920
06-09-2015, 12:07 PM
There are no credible sources at BR

Poolboy5623
06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
If Spurs are going to pursue LMA he will be a Spur. But if they don't I think it's easy to say Mavs are the favorite...Mavs aren't a really good fit tho. If I was LMA I would stay in Portland instead of playing for the Mavs

Yeah, cause the Spurs get every free agent, they pursue..

Spurs da champs
06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Lol him on the Mavs makes no sense in terms of basketball to me whatsoever.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-09-2015, 12:39 PM
RB has some of the worse sources in the league. He is wrong about 70% of the time I would say.

With that said, really evaluate LMA going to the Mavs.

Reason he would:

1. His family live there. His son doesn't but he himself is from Dallas. Honestly this is the only reason.

Reason he wouldn't:

1. Plays the same position as Dirk. Do you think Dirk or LMA would want to sit out crunch time repeatedly. Dirk says he doesn't mind coming off the bench. But people who do or did that like Harden, Manu, etc. usually are in the games at the end. That will be dilemma for the Mavs.

2. He will be going to an older team whose glory days are clearly behind them. He might as well stay with Portland.

3. His son lives in SA. His son is in school now, so unless, he takes a 2-3 hr trip to SA both ways (I am talking about the total time to drive to the airport, board the plane and fly down to SA, vice versa), His situation of seeing his son during the season is only marginally improved.

I don't see him going to the Mavs. He will just stay in Portland if that is the case.

Jdspur20
06-09-2015, 12:53 PM
If Mavs sign LMA they won't be able to sign Chandler. And therefore they won't have a center.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 01:29 PM
No surprise. With Duncan and Ginobili possibly coming back, and the Spurs needing to lock up Kawhi and Danny, I always felt like it was a long shot.

Not that I trust Bleacher report for reporting this. They're just echoing my gut instinct.
^^^^ This. You just knew sooner or later that Mavs team name would come up as well.
Lol him on the Mavs makes no sense in terms of basketball to me whatsoever.

It doesn't, but we have said this before when guys went elsewhere and they flame out fast or just don't win a thing. That is why it will happen.

DJR210
06-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Stopped reading at L

r0drig0lac
06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
they could sign DJ and LMA this season?

AlexJones
06-09-2015, 01:59 PM
"Both the Mavericks and Spurs, of course, could have the requisite cap space, reputation of success and location."

Reading comprehension isn't your thing

AlexJones
06-09-2015, 02:01 PM
I rather the Mavs blow it up than see Lafagus and Monta on the same team

SpurPadre
06-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Oh well, if we can't get him, then we'll know all along for him it's about the bigger market more than about winning and then we can make the hard push for Marc Gasol or other options. At least we know PATFO are serious about making changes this time and won't just stand pat besides re-signing our guys.

Dverde
06-09-2015, 02:32 PM
No one wants to live in the same town as your baby's mama. "Can you watch him tonight? I gotta go buy some doritos and stuff"

Malik Hairston
06-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Mavs are on the decline and should blow it up, realistically(although they won't with Nowitzki on the team)..if they sign Aldridge, it's a bad move for them, and if Aldridge chooses the Mavs, then it's evident that winning isn't really his #1 priority..if that's the case, then it's all good, nothing the Spurs can do about it..

KaiRMD1
06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Honestly, is the old sport even worth it? He's been weak sauce this whole season.

daslicer
06-09-2015, 03:16 PM
He will go to Dallas for the night life. You have to realize for 99 percent of these guys its all about being in big markets. Dallas signing him will be comedy though since him and Dirk won't be able to coexist together on the court. Its a dumb signing for Dallas it makes no sense basketball wise but it doesn't surprise since Cubes has a history of going into mad scientist mode when it comes to building his teams.

SPM
06-09-2015, 03:23 PM
No surprise here. Always felt if he left Portland he would be Dallas bound.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-09-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't believe this rumor. Even LMA can't be stupid enough to look at that team, and the roles they need, and say "I think this would be best for my career".

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 03:31 PM
He will go to Dallas for the night life. You have to realize for 99 percent of these guys its all about being in big markets. Dallas signing him will be comedy though since him and Dirk won't be able to coexist together on the court. Its a dumb signing for Dallas it makes no sense basketball wise but it doesn't surprise since Cubes has a history of going into mad scientist mode when it comes to building his teams.

You are right, big markets and night life. You will get the rare older vet to come to SA to win later in their career or the low key guys like Beli but as far as so called stars go and younger guys forget it. Spurs will sign no big name this offseason and thats not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me. I agree on what you said but it's Dallas man, makes no sense at all but they have to change teams every single year and sign everyone so honestly why not? It makes no sense but it makes sense.

This is the reason honestly Cubes only has one title as well IMO, everytime they get chemistry he blows it up (011 team etc.). He never gives a TEAM a few years to gel and get chemistry like the Spurs do.

I honestly would much rather have Gasol to play next to Tim Duncan but I doubt that happens as well, think he stays in Memphis.

timtonymanu
06-09-2015, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the source. Same with Jalen calling LMA to the Spurs. It's all speculation.

If Aldridge really wants to be on a winning team, then he will choose the Spurs. I wouldn't dismiss it just because past players prefer the "spotlight" destinations. I could see Aldridge ending up here, but we'll see in a couple of weeks.

tmtcsc
06-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Reading comprehension isn't your thing

Reality isn't yours.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/kS1aph1nPE1lm/giphy.gif

spurs10
06-09-2015, 04:31 PM
Reality isn't yours.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/kS1aph1nPE1lm/giphy.gif Exactly....nor is reading comprehension...."reputation for success???"

Seventyniner
06-09-2015, 04:36 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2j0invp.jpg

Mikeanaro
06-09-2015, 04:42 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2j0invp.jpg
:lmao
Thats pointless, like when Lakers got Dwert.

hooperflash
06-09-2015, 04:55 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/t31.0-8/11402512_1073929369288629_6812905943561666705_o.jp g?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Ditty
06-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if LMA knows something about Gasol possibly coming to SA, and his mind has changed about coming to the Spurs.

Last week it was rumored that his list was San Antonio, Houston then Dallas in that order as the spots he wanted to land according to someone that I guess knows him in Portland, or works with the Blazers.

Bucher said Kyle Lowry sign and trade to Miami was happening last summer, but then said that his sources weren't correct...

Budkin
06-09-2015, 04:59 PM
How is anyone surprised by this? No big-name free agent is coming to San Antonio willingly.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't be shocked if LMA knows something about Gasol possibly coming to SA, and his mind has changed about coming to the Spurs.

I doubt either have decided a thing yet man, neither talked to each other about it.

Darius Bieber
06-09-2015, 05:26 PM
I doubt either have decided a thing yet man, neither talked to each other about it.

Exactly, the season hasn't even ended yet... We probably won't know anything at the earliest beginning of July... Hell, the draft might come before we get any good rumors...

BatManu20
06-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Been saying since the Blazers got bounced that I thought he'd end up in Dallas.

I still don't put much into anything BR reports though, but Dallas makes sense. He's from there, he already has a house there, and his family lives there, minus his son. Dirk's already said he's willing to come off the bench next season if it means signing another big. It would also likely prolong Dirk's career to do so. The Mavs can pay LMA more than anyone other than the Blazers. Mark Cuban would be the most fun owner to play for. Dallas is a nice, clean town filled with lots of whites. Makes it more appealing imo. Everything just points to the Mavs.

Plus, with Tim and Manu set to retire next year, and a pudgy, declining PG as our leader, San Antone is really not that appealing of a basketball-destination as many here seem to believe, even before you consider having to live there.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Exactly, the season hasn't even ended yet... We probably won't know anything at the earliest beginning of July... Hell, the draft might come before we get any good rumors...

You know how that goes as well, they will probably take their time to chose a team and wait a week or so after FA begins. I don't see either making a so called quick decision on this one, probably well thought out it will be.

$pursDynasty
06-09-2015, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Cuban himself didn't throw that rumor out there, just in case it wasn't on the top of his list now he might consider it more, see if momentum might be moved toward the Mavericks. As objectively as a Spurs fan can be, I don't see the basketball advantage of the Mavs over the Spurs but there are always outside considerations.

BatManu20
06-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Spurs should really be going all in for Marc Gasol, imo. PATFO should be selling him on the fact that Pau Gasol has a player-option for his 3rd year on his current 3-year deal with the Bulls. If next season ends in disappointment again for Chicago, Pau could opt out of his deal, and then sign with the Spurs as Timmy's replacement. Marc and Pau could then play together w/ Kawhi under Pop. It's obviously a long shot, but about the best one the Spurs have at this point imo.

SpurPadre
06-09-2015, 06:27 PM
For whatever it's worth, hoopshype and other websites are referring to bleacher report's article on Aldridge not wanting to go to the Spurs and preferring the Mavs.

monkeypunk
06-09-2015, 06:37 PM
It's going to be a long offseason....

TD 21
06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I love how the rumors about the Spurs being his preferred destination were summarily dismissed, but the instant there's one to the contrary, it's the gospel, despite being from a less credible source.

I'll say this about the Mavs: If he were to go there, it would be virtually unprecedented. Players of his magnitude, that can choose their destination, have the luxury of prioritizing winning more so than most, in addition to money. They can't offer the best of either, never mind both.

The awkwardness of the fit with Nowitzki isn't going away either. As I've said, bench or no bench, he'll still play at least close to the minutes he did this season, considering his current standing on the roster and historical one within' the organization.

djohn2oo8
06-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Cuban needs to rebuild already and start stockpiling draft picks.

LakerHater
06-09-2015, 07:10 PM
I dont believe anything till it gets closer to July 1!

Russ
06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know whether PATFO has ever expressed (behind the scenes, of course) any interest in signing LMA? Or whether any such interest has ever been reported. (And, yes, I know they can't tamper -- but still there should be some evidence somewhere of such interest if it exists.)

In other words, how did this whole story start? From Aldridge? From the press? Who?

Second question -- how many max free agents have changed teams in the last ten years? In other words, how many FAs whose team wanted to resign them for the max left for another team? (This does not include forced mid-season trades or the like -- just the classic situation like LMA this summer and TD in 2000.)

Perhaps some with more energy and research skill than I can answer this.

It is important because Spurs fans seem to think that their team is uniquely unable to attract FAs. I think that FA movement (especially at the max contract level) is much less prevalent than we assume.

DMC
06-09-2015, 07:29 PM
So you're LMA and you look at SA and Dallas. You see SA is clinging tight to a fat, washed up point guard who basically cost them another shot at a title while Dallas parted with Rondo in a jiffy. Seems clear cut to me. Play the "classy underpaid star" game or play for Dallas and Cubes and see what happens.

DMC
06-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Does anyone know whether PATFO has ever expressed (behind the scenes, of course) any interest in signing LMA? Or whether any such interest has ever been reported. (And, yes, I know they can't tamper -- but still there should be some evidence somewhere of such interest if it exists.)

In other words, how did this whole story start? From Aldridge? From the press? Who?

Second question -- how many max free agents have changed teams in the last ten years? In other words, how many FAs whose team wanted to resign them for the max left for another team? (This does not include forced mid-season trades or the like -- just the classic situation like LMA this summer and TD in 2000.)

Perhaps some with more energy and research skill than I can answer this.

It is important because Spurs fans seem to think that their team is uniquely unable to attract FAs. I think that FA movement (especially at the max contract level) is much less prevalent than we assume.
We can attract free agents. We just cannot attract good ones. We're not talking about the last 3 or 5 years. We're talking about Spurs history, ever.. NEVER a big name FA came to SA, ever.

Robz4000
06-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Won't believe it until tspence tweets it

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 07:57 PM
No surprise here. Always felt if he left Portland he would be Dallas bound.
I have a feeling they will end up with him and some will be upset, not me though as I never expected him to sign in SA to begin with. Spurs are always the early faves, then the so called other picks come in and they bolt there for their own reasons. If he goes there it will not be for money but location as I believe the Spurs would make cap space for him to sign.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 07:58 PM
:deadhorse
Won't believe it until tspence tweets it

Sorry man but is this joke used in every thread? Robz come on now man talk about a dead horse...

Robz4000
06-09-2015, 08:06 PM
:deadhorse

Sorry man but is this joke used in every thread? Robz come on now man talk about a dead horse...

Won't believe it's used in every thread until tspence tweets it

K...
06-09-2015, 08:49 PM
So you're LMA and you look at SA and Dallas. You see SA is clinging tight to a fat, washed up point guard who basically cost them another shot at a title while Dallas parted with Rondo in a jiffy. Seems clear cut to me. Play the "classy underpaid star" game or play for Dallas and Cubes and see what happens.

Uh, ditching rondo for barrea? Preferring Chandler Parsons over kawhi? Monta (who won't be happy being second banana)?

You know, nba players don't really read sports forums and hear the "Parker is fat" meme. Sorry I just don't see it. As bad as spurs look Dallas is worse.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Won't believe it's used in every thread until tspence tweets itI sure as HELL would not believe it then, would bet on the complete opposite and throw down all I have. :lol

exstatic
06-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Uh, ditching rondo for barrea? Preferring Chandler Parsons over kawhi? Monta (who won't be happy being second banana)?

You know, nba players don't really read sports forums and hear the "Parker is fat" meme. Sorry I just don't see it. As bad as spurs look Dallas is worse.

itzsoweezee
06-09-2015, 09:12 PM
The only way this makes sense is the money aspect, assuming Dallas really has the cap space. He can get more money in Dallas than San Antonio, and the state tax break means he'll get only slightly less on a yearly net basis than if he stayed in Portland.

tholdren
06-09-2015, 09:21 PM
who gives a shit. if he comes, great. choosing anywhere over SA, if you claim to want to win, or be a professional, is ignorant. Tell Pau Gasol Spurs said hello.

DMC
06-09-2015, 09:24 PM

Not for NBA players. They don't need to see forums. They know it before we do. They know Tony is one of the big 3 that will be around long past his usefulness, like 2 years ago basically. They know how their stats will drop, their minutes will drop, they'll have to share the floor with some Jeff Ayers looking faggot. There's no endorsement market, it's still Tim Duncan down there, LMA wants LMA's team, not to help Tim with his.

jon123spurs
06-09-2015, 10:03 PM
http://www.saspursnation.com/breaking-news-lamarcus-aldridge-may-not-be-coming-to-spurs/

Hmm this article seems to suggest the Spurs were the one who crossed him off their list. Interesting......

AFBlue
06-09-2015, 10:17 PM
This actually makes me think it will happen now. I'm pretty sure the Spurs front office were his sources. They don't need the kind of attention they were getting when recruiting a free agent. It's not their style.

RD2191
06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
:lolno one knows shit tbh

exstatic
06-09-2015, 10:32 PM
The Spurs may have crossed him off their list because Tim and Manu are returning.

Darius Bieber
06-09-2015, 10:35 PM
You know how that goes as well, they will probably take their time to chose a team and wait a week or so after FA begins. I don't see either making a so called quick decision on this one, probably well thought out it will be.

Yep... Remember Ray Allen? Didn't even choose a team haha..

Russ
06-09-2015, 10:39 PM
We can attract free agents. We just cannot attract good ones. We're not talking about the last 3 or 5 years. We're talking about Spurs history, ever.. NEVER a big name FA came to SA, ever.

Okay, in the last twenty years name every NBA team that attracted even one max free agent to come them from their original team.

I bet they can fit on one hand, maybe two.

Tuddy
06-09-2015, 11:23 PM
I don't think he's going to want to go and play Center in Dallas

Ditty
06-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Lol how are the Spurs supposed to attract big name free agents when 60-70% of their money was going to Tim, Tony and Manu when they were in their primes :lol

timtonymanu
06-09-2015, 11:41 PM
It's not even July yet. These things mean nothing. :lol

He's still coming here, though.

TheGoldStandard
06-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Kosta Koufos here we come

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 02:14 AM
who gives a shit. if he comes, great. choosing anywhere over SA, if you claim to want to win, or be a professional, is ignorant. Tell Pau Gasol Spurs said hello.

Good lord are you mad? That sounds bitter there, damn.
Lol how are the Spurs supposed to attract big name free agents when 60-70% of their money was going to Tim, Tony and Manu when they were in their primes :lol

That is true but don't let the fool you into thinking someone is going to come to SA this summer.. I think a FA or two might but it won't be a big name most think will come IMO.

Uriel
06-10-2015, 03:54 AM
I love how the rumors about the Spurs being his preferred destination were summarily dismissed
Exactly.

Yet sources insist -- at, yes, this early juncture -- that San Antonio sits near or at the top of Aldridge's list

Uriel
06-10-2015, 04:00 AM
There are multiple reports, from ESPN (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwiXrdC-4YTGAhWUL7wKHR_AACo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fblog%2Fmarc-stein%2Fpost%2F_%2Fid%2F3816%2Fsummer-scoop-san-antonio-spurs&ei=c_x3VdenCZTf8AWfgIPQAg&usg=AFQjCNG6r_bobSOGr8A1Esi6htNLwJlnNA&bvm=bv.95039771,d.dGc) to Grantland (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAAahUKEwimufXK4YTGAhXLMrwKHeTNAB8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgrantland.com%2Fthe-triangle%2Fthe-last-ride-of-the-spurs-dynasty%2F&ei=jPx3VabDOMvl8AXkm4P4AQ&usg=AFQjCNH0yTuxOQSDzCBqXWY-lXkuGHmCZQ&bvm=bv.95039771,d.dGc) to CBS Sports (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwiL4LPU4YTGAhWUMrwKHVeiACE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnba%2Fwriter% 2Fken-berger%2F25189492%2Fplayoff-buzz-spurs-aim-to-bring-back-duncan-leonard-and-go-after-aldridge&ei=oPx3VYuQMpTl8AXXxIKIAg&usg=AFQjCNENKn90FF00eW9BidhD5jvFKQEJpQ&bvm=bv.95039771,d.dGc)to Yahoo! Sports (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQFjAAahUKEwiFnZHd4YTGAhXBQLwKHRyBABQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fnews%2Fwhy-kawhi-leonard-will-be-the-nba-s-most-intriguing-free-agent-recruiter-this-summer-084241791.html&ei=s_x3VcX3B8GB8QWcgoKgAQ&usg=AFQjCNExDVkZnOb2dFxYnl_8wieZmhxIfQ&bvm=bv.95039771,d.dGc) all indicating there is mutual interest between the Spurs and Aldridge.

hooperflash
06-10-2015, 04:08 AM
:lol

hooperflash
06-10-2015, 04:54 AM
:lol
This was meant for the Jackie article thread.

Leetonidas
06-10-2015, 05:41 AM
Mavs are a joke tbh and 33 year old Chandler and 53 year old Dirk ain't holding down the paint for LMA while Ellis chucks and goes emo if he's not the focal point. He's not going to Dallas :lol

Leetonidas
06-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Kosta Koufos here we come

He would actually be a very solid pickup imo. Spurs are a very good team still, while I would love LMA, they don't necessarily need a major overhaul. But Kofous is a underrated player who gets overlooked because of Zbo and Gasol, I think he would be great off the bench or starting when Splitter rips his vagina

SPM
06-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Mavs are a joke tbh and 33 year old Chandler and 53 year old Dirk ain't holding down the paint for LMA while Ellis chucks and goes emo if he's not the focal point. He's not going to Dallas :lol

Ok

Leetonidas
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Ok

shut your whore mouth

coachmac87
06-10-2015, 10:53 AM

This. I've been saying this for awhile...only Kidd and O'Neal turned down signing with the Spurs. And they both resigned with their previous team...did the Spurs pursue FA's after them yes. But the $ was never really the same and the player had to sacrifice things in order to work.

But I dunno if this year will be different because I dunno if the Spurs are willing to offer the max to LMA..especially with questions throughout the roster. But if the Spurs offer the max or if the $ is the same..he will be a Spur. There isn't any other team that can compete with that....

BatManu20
06-10-2015, 01:05 PM
He gone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHHYsZvUkAAlkPx.jpg

Seventyniner
06-10-2015, 01:08 PM
This. I've been saying this for awhile...only Kidd and O'Neal turned down signing with the Spurs. And they both resigned with their previous team...did the Spurs pursue FA's after them yes. But the $ was never really the same and the player had to sacrifice things in order to work.

But I dunno if this year will be different because I dunno if the Spurs are willing to offer the max to LMA..especially with questions throughout the roster. But if the Spurs offer the max or if the $ is the same..he will be a Spur. There isn't any other team that can compete with that....

This is indeed different if LMA is intent on leaving the Blazers. The Spurs shouldn't have too much trouble clearing enough space for a max contract, so the Spurs can offer just as much as any team other than Portland.

CGD
06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
I still don't buy the whole going home to Texas narrative, and the more I think about it I see him staying in Portland. At his age it's hard to pass on the extra $20M only they can offer. I see him really just wanting the Blazers to cater by making him (not lillard) the face of the franchise, and making moves to improve the roster. Dallas at best is a lateral move.

purist
06-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Meh. I'll take Tyson chandler

SpurPadre
06-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Meh. I'll take Tyson chandler

Another old fart to an already-old team? HELL FUCKING NO!!!!!

dabom
06-10-2015, 07:58 PM
He gone.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CHHYsZvUkAAlkPx.jpg

When he loses the first round with dallas. :lmao

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 09:52 PM

But I dunno if this year will be different because I dunno if the Spurs are willing to offer the max to LMA..especially with questions throughout the roster. But if the Spurs offer the max or if the $ is the same..he will be a Spur. There isn't any other team that can compete with that....If they offer up the Max, he might be a Spurs but it's not gauranteed. I would not just say he will be a Spur if they do. They have to re sign Kawhi for the Max afterwards and what about Green? Pay Tim as well and maybe Ginobili, what are you left with after that? Is it the max or do you have to trade and move parts? Will they have to let go some people off the roster who are FA's like Green, Beli and a few others to get him? Trade Splitter? They don't have enough money outright if they bring most back to just offer up the Max for LA.

G-Dawgg
06-12-2015, 11:25 AM
He'd be out of his mind to accept a max contract with the Mavs when the Spurs down the way can offer the same amount of money. The Mavs do not have as much to offer Aldridge's career. Don't believe the hype..

Solid D
06-12-2015, 01:45 PM
While I'd be happy if he went to the Spurs, I do derive satisfaction from watching Cuban's yearly experiment in TED talk shark tank GM load-blowing result in 1st round exits. Will they trot out Devin Harris or Steve Blake at starting PG next year? Jose Calderon still has some gas left in the tank?

Andre Miller?

Well, Calderon has been...and still is under contract ($7M per) with Knicks through 2017. He would have to be traded back to the Mavs.

Honestly, is the old sport even worth it? He's been weak sauce this whole season.

Eh? LMA just had his best scoring average and 2nd best rebounding average of his career.

Here is another perspective on all the silly talk.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2015/6/12/8769737/portland-trail-blazers-lamarcus-aldridge-free-agent-dallas-mavericks

KaiRMD1
06-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Eh? LMA just had his best scoring average and 2nd best rebounding average of his career.

He looked like shit in the series against the Grizzlies. Eh, I just haven't been paying attention to the fucker so if you guys say he's good, I'll agree I guess.

timtonymanu
06-12-2015, 05:40 PM
He looked like shit in the series against the Grizzlies. Eh, I just haven't been paying attention to the fucker so if you guys say he's good, I'll agree I guess.

He was mentally checked out more than looking like shit. Which is why I doubt he returns to Portland.

Maddog
06-12-2015, 06:08 PM
He was mentally checked out more than looking like shit. Which is why I doubt he returns to Portland.

It makes you wonder if the Spurs are really interested, given this, his reported moodiness

Sean Cagney
06-12-2015, 07:10 PM

Would you want a player who quit on a team or so called mentally checked out before the season is over?

timtonymanu
06-12-2015, 07:45 PM
It makes you wonder if the Spurs are really interested, given this, his reported moodiness

Would you want a player who quit on a team or so called mentally checked out before the season is over?

The Blazers aren't a title contender, that's why. Lillard is overrated and Batum is trash. Plus, they have no depth and their coach is mediocre. I think Aldridge wants to win and he knows it isn't on the Blazers. I do have my doubts about Aldridge (he can be a softie), but I don't blame him for checking out of Portland.

Diaw was also checked out in Charlotte and his attitude changed when he went to the Spurs. Obviously, Charlotte was in a lot worse position than Portland was, but let's be real both teams are longshots to win championships.

DPG21920
06-12-2015, 08:05 PM
He was playing through an injury on his hand that was supposed to sideline him for the remainder of the year. He elected to play through it. I don't think you can classify that as "checking out". I hesitate to call it committing to the team since it might have been a contract year, but the hand may explain the lackluster performance.

Russ
06-12-2015, 08:10 PM

As usual, the Spurs will dodge a bullet with this guy. :)

Sean Cagney
06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
The Blazers aren't a title contender, that's why. Lillard is overrated and Batum is trash. Plus, they have no depth and their coach is mediocre. I think Aldridge wants to win and he knows it isn't on the Blazers. I do have my doubts about Aldridge (he can be a softie), but I don't blame him for checking out of Portland.

Diaw was also checked out in Charlotte and his attitude changed when he went to the Spurs. Obviously, Charlotte was in a lot worse position than Portland was, but let's be real both teams are longshots to win championships.
I am sorry I do blame him for quitting on his team during a playoff series and that is not a guy I want on my team, never quit no matter how bad your so called team is and play hard until the final whistle. I disagree there.

Diaw was just on a bad team but I would still play hard then, bet he was not in the playoffs when he quit on his team either was he? They were horrible, no? I still don't agree on quitting. I have seen players who played for bad teams most of their careers like Mitch Richmond make the hall of fame and play hard every year, all star and so on. He did not quit on his team and I can respect that.
He was playing through an injury on his hand that was supposed to sideline him for the remainder of the year. He elected to play through it. I don't think you can classify that as "checking out". I hesitate to call it committing to the team since it might have been a contract year, but the hand may explain the lackluster performance.

I can respect that. I have a hard time believing he quit if he came back with that BANGED up hand of his and played through that pain. Why would you quit after going through all of that to play? He put off surgery. I don't think he quit come to think of it, that doesn't make sense.

exstatic
06-12-2015, 09:24 PM
If he was going to quit on Portland, he would have done it when his left thumb was injured. He tore ligaments, and by all rights should have had surgery and shut down for the year. He played anyway, and that was probably why he "looked like shit". He was playing one handed.

maverick1948
06-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Question for salary cap experts. LA just completed his 9th season. The CBA says that max contract based on years 0 to 6 then 7 to 9 then 10+. How does LA fit in that? Explain your thoughts as I think he is a yr away for the 10 yr max.

timtonymanu
06-12-2015, 10:06 PM
You're right. His hand injury was a bigger factor. Maybe he wasn't checked out mentally, but I remember he didn't look interested at times in the series. Then again, the Blazers had a really rough season. I still don't see Aldridge returning there anyway.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Well, Calderon has been...and still is under contract ($7M per) with Knicks through 2017. He would have to be traded back to the Mavs.

Here is another perspective on all the silly talk.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2015/6/12/8769737/portland-trail-blazers-lamarcus-aldridge-free-agent-dallas-mavericksYep, all just speculation right now and I take most if not all of it as a grain of salt. Nobody knows for sure, not even sure Lamarcus knows at this point.

Sean Cagney
06-12-2015, 11:39 PM
If he was going to quit on Portland, he would have done it when his left thumb was injured. He tore ligaments, and by all rights should have had surgery and shut down for the year. He played anyway, and that was probably why he "looked like shit". He was playing one handed.

This is probably the best explanation yet, dead on.

houston spurs fan
06-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Why leave Portland? You are 1 of 2 superstars on a very good team. Have some quality role players. Probably a piece or two plus health away from a championship level team. Sure, Terry Stotts is a liability but I just don't know a better situation for LA, especially with Duncan probably coming back....

Sean Cagney
06-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Why leave Portland? You are 1 of 2 superstars on a very good team. Have some quality role players. Probably a piece or two plus health away from a championship level team. Sure, Terry Stotts is a liability but I just don't know a better situation for LA, especially with Duncan probably coming back....
Dude honestly its Portland and they are cursed. Their ceiling is round 2 at best. Health? Its Portland lol.

Ditty
06-22-2015, 06:20 PM
Pretty reputable poster on clutchfans who has a lot of insiders has been hearing a lot of rumblings:

Aldridge to Spurs

Jordan to Mavs

Love to Lakers

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=9862167

Have heard a lot of the same, I think this is really accurate.

Leetonidas
06-22-2015, 06:23 PM
It's weird how a lot of fans from other teams seem to think LMA is coming to SA

DPG21920
06-22-2015, 07:13 PM
It's weird how a lot of fans from other teams seem to think LMA is coming to SA

It's dat fear

bklynspursfan
06-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Pretty reputable poster on clutchfans who has a lot of insiders has been hearing a lot of rumblings:

Aldridge to Spurs

Jordan to Mavs

Love to Lakers

Who likely needs to be moved in order for this to happen? I'm sure it's been explained tons of times, is it Splitter/Mills?

look_at_g_shred
06-22-2015, 08:10 PM

Aldridge to Spurs

Jordan to Mavs

Love to Lakers

Reputable for what? What else have they been correct about?

Ditty
06-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Reputable for what? What else have they been correct about?

DJohn was telling me that he works for a sports agency firm, and has a lot of connection with GM's.

Everyone seems to love him on the website and have mentioned how accurate he is with many of his predictions. He has his own thread that's over 1800 pages :lol

I'll try to see if I can find something in all those pages that is accurate. :lol

G-Dawgg
06-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Dallas is always trying to sign random big name free agents. It's a revolving door over there. There's no continuity or regularity. They have no idea what they're doing over there.... It wouldn't make any sense for Aldridge to go there. He'd be better off staying in Portland than going to Dallas. Career wise It just makes more sense logically that he'd choose San Antonio over Dallas. We can give him everything that Dallas can offer him and more....

Outlier
06-22-2015, 08:23 PM
DJohn was telling me that he works for a sports agency firm, and has a lot of connection with GM's.

Everyone seems to love him on the website and have mentioned how accurate he is with many of his predictions. He has his own thread that's over 1800 pages :lol

I'll try to see if I can find something in all those pages that is accurate. :lol

He nailed Dwight Howard to Rockets before anyone else. Stood firm even others insulted him. He's legit.

Seventyniner
06-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Dallas is always trying to sign random big name free agents. It's a revolving door over there. There's no continuity or regularity. They have no idea what they're doing over there.... It wouldn't make any sense for Aldridge to go there. He'd be better off staying in Portland than going to Dallas. Career wise It just makes more sense logically that he'd choose San Antonio over Dallas. We can give him everything that Dallas can offer him and more....

DeAndre Jordan next to Dirk is a well-balanced combination. Jordan will suffer on offense not having Paul to throw lobs to him, but he can clean up offensive boards and cover for Dirk's shortcomings on defense.

I agree that San Antonio makes more sense than Dallas for Aldridge, and if he's really intent on signing a 2+1 deal (pure speculation), staying in Portland isn't much more enticing either.

Ditty
06-22-2015, 08:34 PM
He nailed Dwight Howard to Rockets before anyone else. Stood firm even others insulted him. He's legit.

I think he also called out Ric Bucher a few years back when he said the Howard was a lock for the Mavs :lol

Outlier
06-22-2015, 08:37 PM

Double post

99 Problems
06-22-2015, 08:41 PM
Same old, if you wanta win you come to Spurs. If not you roll the nice elsewhere, bank the money and hope the management deliver on promises they made you.

G-Dawgg
06-23-2015, 12:25 AM
Same old, if you wanta win you come to Spurs. If not you roll the nice elsewhere, bank the money and hope the management deliver on promises they made you.

Only difference this time is we can offer him a max contract and put him a situation better than any other team that can pay him the same type of money.... That's why the 'Aldridge to the Mavericks' rumor is a load of BS. However a sign & trade to a contending team would be a different story......

BatManu20
06-23-2015, 04:37 AM

Can we, though? Timmy and Manu are gone in one year, and Tony looks like a shell of himself from two years ago.. I don't really see why Aldridge would be so excited about that, tbh. Kawhi alone isn't enough to make someone want to come play in SA. I don't see what the lure is for Aldridge or any other marquee FA to come to SA when we're going to lose our best players in 12 months. Plus, he'd have to live in SA, which pretty much no player wants to do. Dallas seems much more logical to me considering he's from there, already lives there in the offseason, his family is there, and they can offer him a fat contract.

Mal
06-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Can we, though? Timmy and Manu are gone in one year, and Tony looks like a shell of himself from two years ago.. I don't really see why Aldridge would be so excited about that, tbh. Kawhi alone isn't enough to make someone want to come play in SA. I don't see what the lure is for Aldridge or any other marquee FA to come to SA when we're going to lose our best players in 12 months. Plus, he'd have to live in SA, which pretty much no player wants to do. Dallas seems much more logical to me considering he's from there, already lives there in the offseason, his family is there, and they can offer him a fat contract.

Nowitzki is gone in a year also. What that leaves them ? Chandler, Parsons and Ellis ?

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-23-2015, 07:14 AM

What are you talking about. The Spurs will still have Mills (who use to be a teammate and from what I heard was well liked by LMA). The more than likely will match anything for Green. More than likely Splitter will get traded if this happens. But the bright side is, the Spurs can just resign him next as Splitter will be a FA next year.

I believe its staying in Portland or coming to SA for LMA. I just don't see any other team with the cap space appealing to him. Love to Cavs makes a lot of sense as I don't think either Lebron or Blatt want Love their. Probably a sign and trade with the Lakers would work with the Cavs getting Randle.

G-Dawgg
06-23-2015, 01:05 PM

The Spurs are only 1 year removed from being champions. They are the standard for excellence as a franchise. They have the NBA's newest rising superstar in Kawhi and will have another chance at contending for a title again with Duncan and Ginobili returning. Parker is one of the best team first point guards in the NBA when healthy and played most of the season injured. He should be healthy and in shape this year. They can easily move Splitter if they need space to sign Aldridge. The Spurs have the blueprint to be championship contenders and the right hall of fame coach to learn from. Dallas is close enough to San Antonio that him being from there is really a non-factor. So, tell me what else is more appealing about going to Dallas.....

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Ellis will opt out of his contract and choose to join this year's free agency pool. Does this hurt or help their chances of landing LMA?

Vic Petro
06-24-2015, 10:16 AM
Ellis will opt out of his contract and choose to join this year's free agency pool. Does this hurt or help their chances of landing LMA?

Helps I would think. Less salary on the books, one less ball hog on the court. Don't know that any superstar is itching to play with Monta.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Helps I would think. Less salary on the books, one less ball hog on the court. Don't know that any superstar is itching to play with Monta.
It's what i was thinking too, yet does it make Dallas look less enticing considering the lack of talent there? Or was being "the man" always the deciding factor?

Vic Petro
06-24-2015, 10:42 AM
It's what i was thinking too, yet does it make Dallas look less enticing considering the lack of talent there? Or was being "the man" always the deciding factor?

Reportedly being "the man" is a big deal to LMA. But really it's all speculation.

Maddog
06-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Nowitzki is gone in a year also. What that leaves them ? Chandler, Parsons and Ellis ?
Start mapping out the parade route...

I can't quite articulate why, but I just don't see LMA coming to the Spurs. I also not sure if he and the Spurs are mutually interested.

Dex
06-24-2015, 11:14 AM

Dex
06-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Even though the Spurs make more sense, I still expect LMA to sign with Dallas or stay in Portland, because that just seems to be how Spurs' offseasons go.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 11:18 AM
Gaw dammit. It's like the mavs and roxs go after big name free agents every fucking season.

cantthinkofanything
06-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Gaw dammit. It's like the mavs and roxs go after big name free agents every fucking season.

and they're such awesome teams too! I wish we had their recent success.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 11:50 AM
and they're such awesome teams too! I wish we had their recent success.
Success or not they still get some big name free agents.

cantthinkofanything
06-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Success or not they still get some big name free agents.

you know who they don't have? huh???? nigga what???

http://candieanderson.com/images/2013/02/Tony-Parker-in-a-pinstriped-suit.-Image-courtesy-of-Tissot.--565x416.png

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:01 PM
:lmao

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 12:12 PM
With Ellis possibly gone, Dallas is now targeting Danny Green.

spurspokesman
06-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Even though the Spurs make more sense, I still expect LMA to sign with Dallas or stay in Portland, because that just seems to be how Spurs' offseasons go.

+1. But maybe this is the year.........

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
With Ellis possibly gone, Dallas is now targeting Danny Green.
Source?

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Source?
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238326/Mavericks-Targeting-Danny-Green-As-Monta-Ellis-Pursues-Deal-On-East-Coast

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:17 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238326/Mavericks-Targeting-Danny-Green-As-Monta-Ellis-Pursues-Deal-On-East-Coast
I doubt Green would sign with the Mavs.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 12:19 PM
I doubt Green would sign with the Mavs.
I hope this nigga doesn't leave. He's really underrated on ST. Here's what he told the SAEN... “I hope it doesn’t get too crazy,” he said. “You don’t want to count on things in advance, but I just hope I can capitalize on I guess what you’d call a career peak.” -DG

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2015, 06:09 PM

Thomas82
06-24-2015, 06:12 PM

I couldn't have said it better.

tholdren
06-24-2015, 06:17 PM
I hope this nigga doesn't leave. He's really underrated on ST. Here's what he told the SAEN... “I hope it doesn’t get too crazy,” he said. “You don’t want to count on things in advance, but I just hope I can capitalize on I guess what you’d call a career peak.” -DG

Diva - send him to Cleveland

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Diva - send him to Cleveland
:lmao :lmao