PDA

View Full Version : What years was Tim absolutely f'd out of a Championship

MultiTroll
06-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Absolute locks

Giveaways of at least reaching the Finals
2012 Thunderef

Crappy giveaways, we'll never know dept
2011 (farking Bonner starting 5 playoff games)
2015 Porky

kobyz
06-09-2015, 12:05 PM
This year we were one win against the knicks or lakers from winning the championship, one Chris Paul miss from winning the championship...

dbreiden83080
06-09-2015, 12:38 PM
None..

Nobody screwed the Spurs, they just didn't get it done..

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
None..

Nobody screwed the Spurs, they just didn't get it done..

2006. Those two games against the Mavs in Dallas will always live in infamy. 90+ f'in FT's in those two games combined. Spurs would have swept the Mavs if not for the Refs. Even Donaghy noted that those games were rigged. Spilled milk but it makes me cringe when visualizing those two games, especially the 4th quarters in my mind.

Andthentherewas21
06-09-2015, 12:45 PM
^ This. The Spurs gave away countless games this season. Whether it was a lack of desire/discipline, fatigue, or whatever they had multiple chances and didn't get it done. Was this team good enough to win a championship this year, sure. 55 wins is a great season, but they gave up games to the Lakers, Knicks, and Pistons. Not to mention the OT losses to the Griz, Portland, and Clips. They had their opportunities and didn't take advantage of them.

Hamez
06-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Don't forget 2000 - meniscus injury

ElNono
06-09-2015, 01:27 PM
IIRC, Tim had planar fasciitis in 2006...

hater
06-09-2015, 02:14 PM
We lost to alba Berlin. We were not contenders this year :lmao

Also in 2011 not contenders.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Only 2006, but then nobody expected the 2003 and 2014 titles.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 03:03 PM
2006. Those two games against the Mavs in Dallas will always live in infamy. 90+ f'in FT's in those two games combined. Spurs would have swept the Mavs if not for the Refs. Even Donaghy noted that those games were rigged. Spilled milk but it makes me cringe when visualizing those two games, especially the 4th quarters in my mind.

I never bitch about the refs but those calls in that series were mind boggling to say the least, Tim fouls out for getting his foot stepped on by Dirk and Finleys Tech the league took back later (In which we lost in OT, Pops response does that mean we win by a point?). That was the worst called series I have seen, Mavs fans had some nerve to say they were robbed in the finals by calls that year and conveniently forgot that series. I call that Karma.

The rest I can live with and say they did not get it done, that series though the calls were horrible.

Tim was fouled on that last play of regulation as well in game 7, him being the man that he is did not complain about it later and said it would have been a shame to see a call decide this series.
Only 2006, but then nobody expected the 2003 and 2014 titles.
2003 I thought might be a long shot and they might be able to get over LA that year but did not expect it at all. 2014 I thought they were done until they starting that huge winning streak and looked focused, then I thought maybe they get past a few rounds and have a shot at the ring but I hardly expected it.

I will not lie I thought LA would get them again in 03 and OKC would knock them out last year, thought they were good but OKC was just better at this point in time. I was shocked when they blew out OKC in the first few games, then I thought they had a shot at winning. Miami was a crap shoot, had no clue who would win that series but with the focus and HC in their favor this time figured the Spurs had a decent shot.

Malik Hairston
06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Meh, Spurs have received a lot of luck, too, it evens out..2006 will always hurt, and Duncan not playing in 2000 was a killer, but they also benefited from injuries/weak road in 2003, Ibaka's injury last year, Westbrook's injury the prior year, etc..

When you've been great for as long as the Spurs have, you're going to have a lot of luck on both extremes..

KaiRMD1
06-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Spurs never looked like they wanted to win, to be honest.

TD 21
06-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Meh, Spurs have received a lot of luck, too, it evens out..2006 will always hurt, and Duncan not playing in 2000 was a killer, but they also benefited from injuries/weak road in 2003, Ibaka's injury last year, Westbrook's injury the prior year, etc..

When you've been great for as long as the Spurs have, you're going to have a lot of luck on both extremes..

Not true. Just look at the Lakers, the closest thing to the Spurs over the past 18 years. Have they had even a quarter of the bad luck the Spurs have had? James, is the next closest thing. Has he/his teams had even a quarter of the bad luck the Spurs have had?

I'm not going to suggest Ibaka's injury didn't help, but no one ever mentions that he did play two thirds of the series and even though they were better without him, what was still widely regarded as one of the Spurs' best players, missed the majority of a game.

Sean Cagney
06-09-2015, 06:18 PM

I still think they win every one of those series you mention if the other team is healthy tbh. 2003 with Dirk or not they were not beating the Spurs after they got past LA, the only games Dallas won were when the Spurs completely blew a big lead like they would routinely do then for some odd reason once or twice a series. Ibaka looked pretty spry coming back in game 3 last year, still think the Spurs win the first two at home with him in there. Westbrooks injury the prior year I will give you, they might not make the finals if he is in there so that was a crap shoot IMO, very good point there I forgot about that.

Every title takes a little luck and some bounces though, it's that close between one ball going in or not and going home.