View Full Version : Spurs Will Not Get Any Major FA

tholdren
06-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Whole crew back next year. Book it.

cjw
06-09-2015, 10:30 PM
You forgot one:
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/matt-dellavedova/

If Linsanity made what he did in RFA after a few nice regular season games (I was there for night one of Linsanity when he took Deron to school), imagine what Della gets for this Finals perforamance.

pad300
06-09-2015, 10:37 PM
I agree with you about major FA's, assuming what you mean is a max contract, or something close. It's a tight window to maneuver through to open enough cap space, and we've never had great success with FA recruitment.
I disagree that the whole crew will be back; there will be movement around the fringes.
1) I suspect someone will offer Belinelli more than we are willing to put on the table.
2) Cojo may walk, particularly if he wants a bigger role.
3) Manu could retire; depends how much the NBA grind is getting to his old bones.
4) Baynes will be looking for more than the vet min; the FO wasn't willing to put that on the table last year. Do they see him as more than a replaceable 3ed line C?
5) Bonner and Ayres should be gone...

exstatic
06-09-2015, 10:37 PM
Of course not. It's looking like they're getting the band back together, precluding acquiring any.

exstatic
06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Baynes got almost double the vet min for his years in the NBA last year, $2M. He's also restricted again.

look_at_g_shred
06-09-2015, 10:42 PM
Neat.

exstatic
06-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Neat.

They're kicking the can down the street a year or two, able to sign KL2 and DG, and THEN get a MAX guy when the cap skyrockets.

Birn
06-09-2015, 10:58 PM
That's definitely a good thing. We don't need a major free agent.

DJR210
06-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Groundbreaking thread, OP. Truly remarkable information, and one could only imagine the effort you put into researching this conclusion.

davi78239
06-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Go after KD next summer.

Ditty
06-09-2015, 11:34 PM
Spurs will get a tier 2 free agent like a Tobiad Harris on a good contract if we don't land Aldridge and Gasol. From what I've heard I think we will land one or the other.

SpurPadre
06-10-2015, 12:25 AM
That's definitely a good thing. We don't need a major free agent.

Is this assuming PATFO have discovered an actual fountain of youth they can take our old farts to?

BatManu20
06-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Go after KD next summer.

KD will have zero incentive to play in San Antonio, esp after Tim and Manu retire :lol

OKC or Washington for Durantula.

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 02:17 AM
Groundbreaking thread, OP. Truly remarkable information, and one could only imagine the effort you put into researching this conclusion.

Yep, this needed a new thread to say it!
Spurs will get a tier 2 free agent like a Tobiad Harris on a good contract if we don't land Aldridge and Gasol. From what I've heard I think we will land one or the other.

Harris would actually fit pretty well. BTW what did you hear?

Nathan89
06-10-2015, 02:30 AM
Just give me a couple of solid pieces and I'll be fine with missing out on the major FAs. Can't come back with the same team that is relying on manu to create for the bench and no alternative to Parker.

Chillen
06-10-2015, 07:36 AM
I like Marc Gasol for the Spurs with Leonard, and resign Duncan, Manu, Green and if you can land Marc see what you can get for Splitter. They have to do something this offseason, standing pat isn't smart.

Rito3d30
06-10-2015, 09:50 AM
If the whole crew is back for the coming season
The Spurs is fucked

monkeypunk
06-10-2015, 11:23 AM
If the whole crew is back for the coming season
The Spurs is fucked

The same crew that is currently the reigning NBA champions? Injuries were the downfall this year, not ability.

Darius Bieber
06-10-2015, 11:46 AM
The same crew that is currently the reigning NBA champions? Injuries were the downfall this year, not ability.

Parker was the downfall.

kobyz
06-10-2015, 12:14 PM
Parker was the downfall.

Parker thread!

TD 21
06-10-2015, 06:50 PM
They're kicking the can down the street a year or two, able to sign KL2 and DG, and THEN get a MAX guy when the cap skyrockets.

I keep hearing this, but it ignores two things: 1) A ton of teams are going to have significant - max cap space and 2) How many players of or at least close to the caliber of Aldridge, that fit their primary needs (if Green is re-signed, that leaves starting PF and sixth man) will 1) Leave their current team and 2) Do so to come to San Antonio. In other words, it's probably Aldridge or bust, not just for now, but the near future.

As far as what will happen with the roster if he doesn't sign: I'd expect everyone other than Belinelli, Bonner, Ayres and Williams to be retained. They'll probably sign Teletovic and Delfino (depending on his recovery) or Jenkins.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 06:59 PM
Looking like the Spurs come back with the same team sans Green, Beli, Bonner, and Errors unfortunately...

exstatic
06-10-2015, 06:59 PM
I keep hearing this, but it ignores two things: 1) A ton of teams are going to have significant - max cap space and 2) How many players of or at least close to the caliber of Aldridge, that fit their primary needs (if Green is re-signed, that leaves starting PF and sixth man) will 1) Leave their current team and 2) Do so to come to San Antonio. In other words, it's probably Aldridge or bust, not just for now, but the near future.

As far as what will happen with the roster if he doesn't sign: I'd expect everyone other than Belinelli, Bonner, Ayres and Williams to be retained. They'll probably sign Teletovic and Delfino (depending on his recovery) or Jenkins.

Delfino is 32, and hasn't played in the NBA in two full seasons. In addition, he and Pop's best friend Larry Brown HATED each other in Detroit.
Beli is 29, and has been a good overall bench piece since arriving. I'd say there is about 10X the chance that Beli resigns over SA signing Delfino.

exstatic
06-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Looking like the Spurs come back with the same team sans Green, Beli, Bonner, and Errors unfortunately...

The only way DG doesn't come back is if Duncan and Manu retire and they chase a big fish.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 07:04 PM
The only way DG doesn't come back is if Duncan and Manu retire and they chase a big fish.

If Culb's thread downstairs has merit it means Green prolly ends up with a contract around $14 mil a season, which the Spurs won't pay.

ace3g
06-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Spurs could very well go the subtle route, and just get replacements for the players below:

Restricted
Aron Baynes
Cory Joseph

Unrestricted
Jeff Ayres
Marco Belinelli
Matt Bonner

TD 21
06-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Delfino is 32, and hasn't played in the NBA in two full seasons. In addition, he and Pop's best friend Larry Brown HATED each other in Detroit.
Beli is 29, and has been a good overall bench piece since arriving. I'd say there is about 10X the chance that Beli resigns over SA signing Delfino.

I know he hasn't, which is why I said depending on his recovery. He basically fits the Belinelli profile though and he'll more than likely have to accept the veteran's minimum. Him and Brown hating each other doesn't necessarily mean much.

Obviously you'd rather have Belinelli in a vacuum, but he's made it clear he'll prioritize money this time and he's probably going to command a contract that I don't see them willing to match or even coming close to.

He doesn't make sense as a post Ginobili fit, since he can't create or defend and with Leonard and Green continuing to get better and set for massive raises, if Ginobili returns and all three stay healthy, he won't play enough to satisfy him or justify his contract.

tholdren
06-10-2015, 07:34 PM
yet you were compelled to post. hook, line, sinker.

DJR210
06-10-2015, 07:44 PM
hook, line, sinker.

Quite the accomplishment.. you're up to 29 replies :tu

spurraider21
06-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Of course not. It's looking like they're getting the band back together, precluding acquiring any.
what specifically makes it look that way. at least more than it did a month ago

FireMicoHalili
06-10-2015, 08:07 PM
they never do. They'll probably sign someone within the $5M range but enough to move the needle for the squad.

exstatic
06-10-2015, 08:36 PM
If Culb's thread downstairs has merit it means Green prolly ends up with a contract around $14 mil a season, which the Spurs won't pay.

He's not going to get that much in 2015. Teams are going to maximize their 2016 cap room.

baseline bum
06-10-2015, 08:39 PM

No one is paying Green $14 million, that's practically a max contract.

tholdren
06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
LOL green @ 14 million. Dude is a shitty FT shooter, cant drive, and has girly meltdowns when he doesnt hit his 3 ball.

exstatic
06-10-2015, 08:46 PM
what specifically makes it look that way. at least more than it did a month ago

LMA's interest, and then disinterest in the Spurs, a week apart and month before the free agency period even begins. There would have to be a reason for the sudden switch: the money is no longer available because the large chunk would have come from Tim and Manu.

spurraider21
06-10-2015, 08:48 PM
LMA's interest, and then disinterest in the Spurs, a week apart and month before the free agency period even begins. There would have to be a reason for the sudden switch: the money is no longer available because the large chunk would have come from Tim and Manu.
his interest and disinterest have both been speculation to this point... nobody knows what he's thinking

exstatic
06-10-2015, 08:56 PM
LOL green @ 14 million. Dude is a shitty FT shooter, cant drive, and has girly meltdowns when he doesnt hit his 3 ball.

His career % is 83, and he shot over 87 this year. You might want to examine your ass before talking out of it.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 09:20 PM

:lmao

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 09:22 PM
No one is paying Green $14 million, that's practically a max contract.

Not in 2016, and Green's value to a contending team is huge. If Love bolts Cleveland I could see them giving him that and using the rest of what they'd of given Love on another piece.

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 09:36 PM

They need to let Bonner and Ayres go man, sorry. Errors can walk and Bonner can retire. I hope they fill some of those pieces with one guy worth a damn, two slots open and a guy who can do anything on the court to help the team would be welcome over those bums. Bonner was okay a few years but is now pretty much done, can't even hit threes anymore and that was all he did.

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 09:37 PM
His career % is 83, and he shot over 87 this year. You might want to examine your ass before talking out of it.

Yeah I was wondering and shaking my head when I saw bad FT shooter. He is one of the few who actually sinks them in the clutch as well (Patty the other one), he hardly gets to the line late though.

baseline bum
06-10-2015, 09:40 PM
Not in 2016, and Green's value to a contending team is huge. If Love bolts Cleveland I could see them giving him that and using the rest of what they'd of given Love on another piece.

I don't see it happening. If Love walks the Cavs have less than $5 million in cap space unless they completely gut their team, e.g., no Mozgov, no Shumpert, no Thompson, no Dellavedova.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 10:18 PM
They need to let Bonner and Ayres go man, sorry. Errors can walk and Bonner can retire. I hope they fill some of those pieces with one guy worth a damn, two slots open and a guy who can do anything on the court to help the team would be welcome over those bums. Bonner was okay a few years but is now pretty much done, can't even hit threes anymore and that was all he did.

Should've phrased that better. The only two that matter in that statement are Green and Beli; Errors can get the fuck out and Bonner I'm indifferent to returning.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't see it happening. If Love walks the Cavs have less than $5 million in cap space unless they completely gut their team, e.g., no Mozgov, no Shumpert, no Thompson, no Dellavedova.

Shumpert is gone after this imo. They'll prolly keep the other three and sign Green while trading away Friend Killer.

Sean Cagney
06-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Should've phrased that better. The only two that matter in that statement are Green and Beli; Errors can get the fuck out and Bonner I'm indifferent to returning.
Yep......

spurs10
06-11-2015, 12:44 AM
His career % is 83, and he shot over 87 this year. You might want to examine your ass before talking out of it. Yeah, one of the best in the NBA from the charity stripe! :lol

Dingle Barry
06-11-2015, 02:49 AM
Teams are scared shitless that his production is more spurs system than innate ability. I dont think 14m is realistic at all.

exstatic
06-11-2015, 06:27 AM

Yeah, Love is an option for them because they traded for him, and have his Bird rights. If he walks, they can't turn around and "Bird" another team's player.

Don't forget: they're going to throw a boatload of cash at Tris Thompson, too. He turned down $13M last summer, and is represented by LeBron's agency, so the king gets his cut of that.

tholdren
06-11-2015, 06:36 AM
He shot 66% during ththe playoffs. Watch a game.

batman2883
06-11-2015, 09:54 AM
green doesnt command that kind of money, he plays good defense, and most likely is a product of our system........he didnt show up at all in the playoffs when we needed him to......in a contract year he fizzled......maybe after last years performance he might have deserved a pay out...but this year, not so much

Sean Cagney
06-11-2015, 03:21 PM
Teams are scared shitless that his production is more spurs system than innate ability. I dont think 14m is realistic at all.

If some stupid team throws 14 million at that guy then good riddance TBH. He is good but not nearly that good. I would say 9-10 mill for him with the new cap next year, otherwise he can walk. He is important to the team I know but that kind of money is crazy.

timtonymanu
06-11-2015, 03:43 PM
green doesnt command that kind of money, he plays good defense, and most likely is a product of our system........he didnt show up at all in the playoffs when we needed him to......in a contract year he fizzled......maybe after last years performance he might have deserved a pay out...but this year, not so much

Agree that Green isn't worth 14 million. But it's unfair to say he didn't show up "at all". His 3 point shot was gone, but he was still playing great defense on Chris Paul (when Pop allowed him to). He actually had a great season this year, all things considered.

I always cringe when I read that product of our system label for Danny Green. The system allowed him to reach his full potential. But I don't think it means he can't find a similar role on another team. 3 & D players are essential these days and you can plug Green on any contender.

BackHome
06-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Agree that Green isn't worth 14 million. But it's unfair to say he didn't show up "at all". His 3 point shot was gone, but he was still playing great defense on Chris Paul (when Pop allowed him to). He actually had a great season this year, all things considered.

I always cringe when I read that product of our system label for Danny Green. The system allowed him to reach his full potential. But I don't think it means he can't find a similar role on another team. 3 & D players are essential these days and you can plug Green on any contender.

I am sorry but I am not paying that much money for a player who can't even dribble the ball. I don't know how many times Green turned the ball over or just froze and stopped his dribble so he could pass the ball instead of turning it over. It's basic basketball skills I have no earthly idea why he hasn't worked on that since has been in the NBA?

look_at_g_shred
06-11-2015, 08:17 PM
I am sorry but I am not paying that much money for a player who can't even dribble the ball. I don't know how many times Green turned the ball over or just froze and stopped his dribble so he could pass the ball instead of turning it over. It's basic basketball skills I have no earthly idea why he hasn't worked on that since has been in the NBA?
Surprisingly, green hardly turns the ball over.

G-Dawgg
06-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Surprisingly, green hardly turns the ball over.
That's because he's always too terrified to do anything with the ball in his hands except shoot a 3 pointer...

szkorhetz
06-12-2015, 11:50 AM
If we miss out on both Gasol and LMA, second tier FA's would be Monroe and Millsap, both would fit, IMHO. Lot of people here don't like Monroe, and while he is obviously overrated, he can rebound and has a nice postgame with the ability to hit the Mid range jumper.

timtonymanu
06-12-2015, 01:57 PM

I don't think he's worth 14 million. Even so, you don't dump Green because he doesn't dribble a basketball. That's not the reason the Spurs paid him. He's not a creator nor a playmaker. They pay him to shoot 3's, play defense, and hustle, which he has excelled at his whole time here. 3 & D role players are very valuable today.

BackHome
06-12-2015, 09:13 PM
I don't think he's worth 14 million. Even so, you don't dump Green because he doesn't dribble a basketball. That's not the reason the Spurs paid him. He's not a creator nor a playmaker. They pay him to shoot 3's, play defense, and hustle, which he has excelled at his whole time here. 3 & D role players are very valuable today.

I agree with you in that is why he made the team but that was based on a totally different team then what we have now. Back then we had two players Manu, and Tony who could get to the rim draw in the defense and then kick it out to players like Green. As we saw in the playoff we really don't have anyone that can easily drive and kick to open players which is why Green was terrible against the Clippers.

What probably drives Pop crazy is that Green has the potential to be much better if he would just work in the summer on his dribble and mid rage shot that would make him such a much better player. I almost want him to play PG during the summer just to feel more comfortable with the ball and not look like a deer in the head lights when he has to dribble.

timtonymanu
06-12-2015, 10:10 PM
I agree with you in that is why he made the team but that was based on a totally different team then what we have now. Back then we had two players Manu, and Tony who could get to the rim draw in the defense and then kick it out to players like Green. As we saw in the playoff we really don't have anyone that can easily drive and kick to open players which is why Green was terrible against the Clippers.

What probably drives Pop crazy is that Green has the potential to be much better if he would just work in the summer on his dribble and mid rage shot that would make him such a much better player. I almost want him to play PG during the summer just to feel more comfortable with the ball and not look like a deer in the head lights when he has to dribble.

I agree. The team is lacking good penetrators so having Green on the team would make him useless in the offense if he has to create. However, I don't it's possible for Green to play that role at all. We'll see how his contract plays out, but if he can be had for 8-9 million a year, it's a pretty great deal.

ElNono
06-13-2015, 03:08 AM
Water is wet thread, tbh