PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Criticizes Role of Women In Labs

ElNono
06-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Tim Hunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hunt) is an English biochemist most notable for winning the 2001 Nobel prize in physiology or medicine. Today he's become notable for something else entirely — at the World Conference of Science Journalists, Hunt suggested science labs should be segregated by gender (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/10/nobel-scientist-tim-hunt-female-scientists-cause-trouble-for-men-in-labs). He said, "Let me tell you about my trouble with girls three things happen when they are in the lab You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticize them, they cry." As you might expect, this set off a firestorm of criticism. Many asked Hunt to treat women in labs with the same respect he is afforded (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/10/tim-hunt-women-scientists-nobel-prizewinner), and others held it up as an explicit example of the sexism that pervades the scientific community (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/10/tim-hunt-science-prejudice-against-women). Hunt later issued an apology, saying, "I'm very sorry that what I thought were light hearted ironic remarks were taken so seriously, and I'm very sorry if people took offence. I certainly did not mean to demean women (http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/10/tim-hunt-apologises-comments-trouble-female-scientists), but rather be honest about my own shortcomings."

Blake
06-10-2015, 01:29 PM
:cry but which lab would Caitlyn Jenner have to be in

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 01:32 PM

What's it like to have him on your mind as much as you do?

Clipper Nation
06-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Cuckweiser obsessing over Bruce Jenner per par.

boutons_deux
06-10-2015, 01:51 PM
"honest about my own shortcomings"

:lol so he can't work with wimmens without getting hardon or looking down their cleavage?

Obscure scientist will be more infamous for this than for his nobel piece of ass prize

Blake
06-10-2015, 01:59 PM
What's it like to have him on your mind as much as you do?

not much at all. I'm just making fun of guys like you and clipper that are dead set against calling jenner a woman yet also try to claim it's no big deal.

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 02:05 PM
not much at all. I'm just making fun of guys like you that are dead set against calling jenner a woman.
He's for sure on your mind. You brought him up here unprovoked. Why would I call a male a female that makes no sense. I'll side with science on this one. If Jenner somehow starts bleeding out of his mangled penis vagina and is able to give birth I might rethink my stance, might.

Clipper Nation
06-10-2015, 02:07 PM
not much at all. I'm just making fun of guys like you and clipper that are dead set against calling jenner a woman yet also try to claim it's no big deal.
You were the first person to mention him ITT, Call Me Cucklyn.

Blake
06-10-2015, 02:08 PM
He's for sure on your mind. You brought him up here unprovoked. Why would I call a male a female that makes no sense. I'll side with science on this one. If Jenner somehow starts bleeding out of his mangled penis vagina and is able to give birth I might rethink my stance, might.

Lol jenners on my mind because we've been going bank and forth in the jenner thread the you yourself have been a part of.

If you side with science then you're gonna need to check out more recent research on the matter. You're still in the dark ages.

Blake
06-10-2015, 02:12 PM
You were the first person to mention him ITT, Call Me Cucklyn.

you're the third.

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Lol jenners on my mind because we've been going bank and forth in the jenner thread the you yourself have been a part of. so you couldn't keep it in that thread and had to bring it here? Yup definitely on your mind. How many copies of that Vanity Fair do you own?

If you side with science then you're gonna need to check out more recent research on the matter. You're still in the dark ages.was he born with a penis? Will he ever menstruate or give birth?

Blake
06-10-2015, 02:23 PM
so you couldn't keep it in that thread and had to bring it here? Yup definitely on your mind. How many copies of that Vanity Fair do you own?

by your logic she's on your mind just the same. I own zero copies, haven't even read the article.

was he born with a penis? Will he ever menstruate or give birth?

Hey that's some riveting 21st century science you got there. Do you think we'll get to the moon some day?

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 02:35 PM
by your logic she's on your mind just the same. I own zero copies, haven't even read the article. hadn't even been in that thread today so no, he wasn't on my mind. I'm guessing your first post on spurstalk today was about Jenner. Am I wrong? :lol waking up and running to defend him

Hey that's some riveting 21st century science you got there. Do you think we'll get to the moon some day?
Your lack of a straight answer is all I needed.

So if Jenner is no longer a man, yet can't menstruate or give birth, what is Jenner?

Blake
06-10-2015, 02:45 PM
hadn't even been in that thread today so no, he wasn't on my mind. I'm guessing your first post on spurstalk today was about Jenner. Am I wrong? :lol waking up and running to defend him

No, it was the evolution thread because it was at the top. Then the second top thread was jenner. Some were in that thread earlier than me.

But you thinking this much about me is duly noted for future lol.

Your lack of a straight answer is all I needed.

So if Jenner is no longer a man, yet can't menstruate or give birth, what is Jenner?

Rofl a non answer from a slappy on a sports messageboard was really all you needed to make up your mind about the science of gender identity?

Rofl you're as caveman minded as Avante.

Oh wait now that means I've been thinking of Avante all night and stuff. Aw fuck.

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM
No, it was the evolution thread because it was at the top. Then the second top thread was jenner. Some were in that thread earlier than me.

But you thinking this much about me is duly noted for future lol.I doesn't take much thought to point out the poster who cares about this the most. You are probably working on a 5:1 ratio right now, keep up the good work I'm sure Caitlyn is proud.

Rofl a non answer from a slappy on a sports messageboard was really all you needed to make up your mind about the science of gender identity?

Rofl you're as caveman minded as Avante.

Oh wait now that means I've been thinking of Avante all night and stuff. Aw fuck.

Blake
06-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Oh look who can't stop thinking about jenner and bringing her up itt

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Oh look who can't even answer what gender Jenner actually is. Blake is Jenner a man or a woman?

TheSanityAnnex
06-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry about the continued derailment of your thread 'nono I'm out.

baseline bum
06-10-2015, 06:53 PM
What the fuck do you need a kitchen for in your lab anyways?

DarrinS
06-10-2015, 08:04 PM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249290&p=8044209&viewfull=1#post8044209

pgardn
06-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Winning a Nobel Prize does not exclude one from being a lunatic, racist, or a pedophile (aka the Lesser Avante Award).