PDA

View Full Version : Cavs: What Lebron is doing is defying logic.

midnightpulp
06-10-2015, 11:18 PM
This can't be sustainable. It just can't. Yes, I know all about the gimmick strategy the Cavs and Lebron are employing to slow the game is working, and I agree it's the only shot they have, but this isn't 2005, and they should be getting crushed employing this style in the modern era. As every coach and GM, from Carlisle to Ryan McDonough, has said, "Slow play equals death." Quoting McDonough: "Defenses are just too good today that if you give them time to settle in, it's almost impossible to score." Yet Lebron is giving the Warriors defense, which is the best in the league, 15 to 20 seconds to settle in and is still finding ways to generate offense for his team. And on the other side of the ball, they're containing the best offense we've seen in the past decade (2014 post-season Spurs aside). And Lebron is doing this with a supporting cast that would struggle to win 20 games on its own.

Unsophisticated fans will prop Lebron's supporting cast to downplay what James is achieving, but the the reality is, Lebron makes below average role-players look like All Stars. Think Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson (I remember during '07 when people thought Gibson was going to be a hot commodity), J.J. Hickson, etc, etc.

We could be witnessing the greatest individual Finals performance of all time if this keeps up. You might be a Lebron hater, but if you're a basketball fan, you can't help but appreciate it.

TampaDude
06-10-2015, 11:21 PM
This can't be sustainable. It just can't. Yes, I know all about the gimmick strategy the Cavs and Lebron are employing to slow the game is working, and I agree it's the only shot they have, but this isn't 2005, and they should be getting crushed employing this style in the modern era. As every coach and GM, from Carlisle to Ryan McDonough, has said, "Slow play equals death." Quoting McDonough: "Defenses are just too good today that if you give them time to settle in, it's almost impossible to score." Yet Lebron is giving the Warriors defense, which is the best in the league, 15 to 20 seconds to settle in and is still finding ways to generate offense for his team. And on the other side of the ball, they're containing the best offense we've seen in the past decade (2014 post-season Spurs aside). And Lebron is doing this with a supporting cast that would struggle to win 20 games on its own.

Unsophisticated fans will prop Lebron's supporting cast to downplay what James is achieving, but the the reality is, Lebron makes below average role-players look like All Stars. Think Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson (I remember during '07 when people thought Gibson was going to be a hot commodity), J.J. Hickson, etc, etc.

We could be witnessing the greatest individual Finals performance of all time if this keeps up. You might be a Lebron hater, but if you're a basketball fan, you can't help but appreciate it.

:toast

We could be witnessing one of the great sports stories of all time.

DMC
06-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Or the greatest collapse under a rookie coach for a team who's best player is their point guard.

midnightpulp
06-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Or the greatest collapse under a rookie coach for a team who's best player is their point guard.

I still don't think it's sustainable. Low tempo offenses centered around ball dominance are super easy to exploit defensively. Anyone but Lebron in this role is down 0-3 right now, including Jordan, Magic (who needs tempo), Bird, etc.

Thread
06-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Without Dova I smell skunk.

midnightpulp
06-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Without Dova I smell skunk.

Without Bron, Dova doesn't smell an NBA career.

Thread
06-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Without Bron, Dova doesn't smell an NBA career.

It was Blatt who brought Dova aboard.

Blatt

midnightpulp
06-10-2015, 11:34 PM

Blatt

And it was Bron who made him on the court. Made Blatt's choice look good. Made him like a heel makes a face in wrasslin'.

Bron

RsxPiimp
06-10-2015, 11:37 PM
And it was Bron who made him on the court.

Bron
I like Bron but come on, that's stupid :lol

Malik Hairston
06-10-2015, 11:38 PM
I don't think sustaining their actual gameplan is worrisome from a basketball perspective, tbh..the biggest worry for the Cavs is the same thing that plagued the Clippers in round 2, which is wearing your guys out when you don't have any depth..

Lebron has been worn down physically towards the end of every game, so far.. Dellevadova had to be hospitalized following last game, etc..they don't have much depth right now, this style of play is going to wear them out at some point IMO, especially if they lose tomorrow..

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 11:41 PM
I still don't think it's sustainable. Low tempo offenses centered around ball dominance are super easy to exploit defensively. Anyone but Lebron in this role is down 0-3 right now, including Jordan, Magic (who needs tempo), Bird, etc.

Disagree, I think prime Duncan, Shaq, and Hakeem could thrive as well. Though you're right if you only include guards and wings.

Robz4000
06-10-2015, 11:42 PM
I don't think sustaining their actual gameplan is worrisome from a basketball perspective, tbh..the biggest worry for the Cavs is the same thing that plagued the Clippers in round 2, which is wearing your guys out when you don't have any depth..

Lebron has been worn down physically towards the end of every game, so far.. Dellevadova had to be hospitalized following last game, etc..they don't have much depth right now, this style of play is going to wear them out at some point IMO, especially if they lose tomorrow..

Agree tbh. Tomorrow would be a great game for their chuckers (JR Smith, James Jones, etc) to get hot.

pgardn
06-10-2015, 11:43 PM

Not like he did last year.
The quick shot Warriors are not making Cleveland move almost every possession.

Thread
06-10-2015, 11:52 PM
And it was Bron who made him on the court. Made Blatt's choice look good. Made him like a heel makes a face in wrasslin'.

Bron

No. Blatt gave Dova the opportunity and Dova delivered by pulling James' fat out of the fire the last two games.

Blatt & Dova

Clipper Nation
06-11-2015, 12:00 AM
No. Blatt gave Dova the opportunity and Dova delivered by pulling James' fat out of the fire the last two games.

Blatt & Dova

There would be no opportunity and no last two games sans James.

James

hitmanyr2k
06-11-2015, 12:44 AM

The bolded part is bullshit basically. The Warriors defense is giving Lebron a TON of room to work with that any superstar would shred. Dullards like to say today's defense is advanced and all that crap but the reality is the Warriors are using a stupid scheme. Lebron can hardly throw the ball in the ocean right now from the perimeter but rather than sag off him, live with him shooting outside jumpers, and pack the paint so he's hesitant to drive or post up the Warriors are giving Lebron's "scrub" teammates a ton of respect by sticking with them and giving Lebron all the room he could possibly want to operate. This is the kind of shit defense Lebron has been seeing all series and while he bailed the Warriors with stupid shots in the first game Lebron recognized that he could get to the rim anytime he wanted against this overrated defense. Kerr still has yet to adjust. And to top it off GS has no legit shotblocker inside.

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/XIjX_w.gif

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/P5Zone.gif

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/I7p0lg.gif

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/xUCd0U.gif

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/6-05-2015/CU5j5S.gif

http://www.gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/1e79dc71a542600a777d78638e6a7e69.gif

Infinite_limit
06-11-2015, 12:47 AM
The Story of the Finals so far is the Warriors mental choke job

Thread
06-11-2015, 12:55 AM
There would be no opportunity and no last two games sans James.

James

Because Dova saved his ass in both games.

Dova

apalisoc_9
06-11-2015, 12:58 AM
Something we agree on...

Malik Hairston
06-11-2015, 01:56 AM
90s legend JVG with some interesting points and echoed what some of us said in mid's previous thread:

- Cavs' extreme ISO "ugly offense" is strategical and their only chance..Lebron's extreme high-usage and ISO slows the Warriors to a crawl and more importantly, it allows the other 4 Cavs' on the floor to conserve all their energy for the defensive end, particularly Dellevadova

- This would be the biggest upset in NBA history

- If Lebron wins this series, it would be the greatest accomplishment of any player in league history

Thread
06-11-2015, 01:59 AM
90s legend JVG with some interesting points and echoed what some of us said in mid's previous thread:

- Cavs' extreme ISO "ugly offense" is strategical and their only chance..Lebron's extreme high-usage and ISO slows the Warriors to a crawl and more importantly, it allows the other 4 Cavs' on the floor to conserve all their energy for the defensive end, particularly Dellevadova

- If Lebron wins this series, it would be the greatest accomplishment of any player in league history

JVG musta missed Amy taking your 1st 5th and giving it to James two Junes ago.

But, they don't talk about that. Nobody talks about that, cept some old fuck in Phoenix.

Silver&Black
06-11-2015, 02:05 AM
But, they don't talk about that. Nobody talks about that, cept some old fuck in Phoenix.

Cuz it is so much better to talk about the Redemption in 14.

Ahhhhh.....Dat Redemption.

Infinite_limit
06-11-2015, 02:13 AM

Who knew defeating a storied franchise like the Warriors with proven winners like Bogut, Lee & Iguidala was the greatest ever accomplishment

Malik Hairston
06-11-2015, 02:14 AM
Who knew defeating a storied franchise like the Warriors with proven winners like Bogut, Lee & Iguidala was the greatest ever accomplishment

Tell that to 90s legend Jeff Van Gundy, tbh..

Thread
06-11-2015, 02:40 AM
Cuz it is so much better to talk about the Redemption in 14.

Ahhhhh.....Dat Redemption.

How many fuckin' times have I told you cement heads that you can't redeem '13? It's nonredeemable.

Silver&Black
06-11-2015, 03:18 AM
How many fuckin' times have I told you cement heads that you can't redeem '13? It's nonredeemable.

Redemption

Infinite_limit
06-11-2015, 03:41 AM
Tell that to 90s legend Jeff Van Gundy, tbh..
He's selling ratings

unleashbaynes
06-11-2015, 05:55 AM

fuck outta here with that garbage

DarrinS
06-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Actual ball movement, particularly with quality bigs, would kill the Cavs.

DarrinS
06-11-2015, 06:47 AM
When splash bros ain't spashin, it don't work.

barbacoataco
06-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Lebron=Barry Bonds. Too good to be true. An impossible physique. Superhuman durability. A jawline and cro-magnon eyebrow that continue to grow. Lebron started 2015 with less bulk, traveled to Miami to see the "doctor" and returned with Hulk Hogan body.

The question is will he be another Bonds or Lance Armstrong who gets discredited at some point.

Seventyniner
06-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Lebron=Barry Bonds. Too good to be true. An impossible physique. Superhuman durability. A jawline and cro-magnon eyebrow that continue to grow. Lebron started 2015 with less bulk, traveled to Miami to see the "doctor" and returned with Hulk Hogan body.

The question is will he be another Bonds or Lance Armstrong who gets discredited at some point.

Good point. If LeBron ever says that he used PEDs, how much of a backlash would there be?

Thread
06-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Good point. If LeBron ever says that he used PEDs, how much of a backlash would there be?

Not much. There is no clarification of PEDs in the NBA.

DMC
06-11-2015, 09:13 AM

Blatt
Without Bron, Blatt isn't in the NBA either.

DMC
06-11-2015, 09:19 AM
"It finally felt like a big old monkey was off my back," he said. "It felt so good to be able to have this moment. For this moment to be here and to reflect back on the season and everything that you've been through, it's top of the list, man."

Bryant had come up short twice in the finals before, in 2004 with O'Neal against Detroit, and again last season against the Celtics in the renewal of the league's best rivalry. The Lakers were beaten in six games, losing the finale in Boston by 39 points, a humiliating beatdown that Bryant and his teammates had trouble shaking.

hater
06-11-2015, 09:23 AM
It's called steroids. Still rooting for him over the gayest team in basketball :lol

Alex's foreskin
06-16-2015, 10:44 PM
:lmao

midnightpulp
06-16-2015, 10:47 PM

Nice try, Tit.