PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry: Rudy T is a greater coach than Phil Jackson, Popovich

Quiet Strength
06-13-2015, 01:58 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25213587/robert-horry-rudy-t-is-a-greater-coach-than-phil-jackson-popovich

Malik Hairston
06-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Pop and Jackson both didn't want him re-signing with their teams IIRC, not surprising that he may not be on good terms with either of them..

I love Horry for 2005 and 2007, but he's one salty-ass, bitter nigga, tbh:lol..

Juan
06-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Ehhh. meh.

RD2191
06-13-2015, 02:20 PM
:lolhorry must post on ST

Sean Cagney
06-13-2015, 03:01 PM
NO.... Nobody would agree there. It seems he loved his tenure in Houston and that must be special to him but lets get real here Rudy is not Pop nor is he Phil and nobody would rank him with those guys.

apalisoc_9
06-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Rudy T won rings with shitty players tbh.

I'd put him over Phil who is so overrated, but not over a visionary like Pop.

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Horry definitely seems to love those Rocket teams, he did call Hakeem the greatest player he's ever played with iirc.

baseline bum
06-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Phil was able to drag Kobe to the playoffs while Rudy had those faggots just shooting threes all game. The Lakers under Tomjanovich looked like this year's Rockets if they didn't have any shooters but still ran the same offense.

apalisoc_9
06-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Horry Respects TD and Hakeem though.

He talks highly of Tim..saying Hakeem is the greatest player he's ever played with is no Knock on Timmy since Hakeem probably had the most dominant peak of all all time greats.

Horry doesn't have the same amount of respect with Kobe and Shaq though, at least it doesn't sound like he respects those two.

Horry doesn't like the Spurs as an organization, IMO..When people ask him about the spurs nowadys he just tries to talk about something else.

I'm not surprised he respects Hakeem and Tim and hates kobe and Shaq obviously.

I mean seriously Kobe doesn't even have friends :lol

cantthinkofanything
06-13-2015, 04:26 PM

it is why he rapes

Dre_7
06-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Except Rudy T would not have had those 2 rings had Jordan not retired.

K...
06-13-2015, 04:33 PM
it is why he rapes why plural..?

I got nothing wrong with his opinion. Rudy T was a good coach and probably the easiest personality of the three coaches. I'd hate pop too if he picked sandwich boy over me but we all know sandwich boy was in his prime, cheaper, and didn't take the regular season off.

Ditty
06-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Rudy T>2015 Pop

houston spurs fan
06-13-2015, 04:45 PM
Rudy T is a legend here in Houston. His alcoholism is what did him in. Who knows what would have been if not for that. He was a world class motivator and passionate guy.

Sean Cagney
06-13-2015, 05:08 PM

I'd put him over Phil who is so overrated, but not over a visionary like Pop.Olojuwan was a shitty player??? Drexeler??? Their cast was stacked as well with role guys. That team was good.

Sean Cagney
06-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Horry definitely seems to love those Rocket teams, he did call Hakeem the greatest player he's ever played with iirc.

You know that team is his fave in sentimental value and it shows in his comments. He obviously had his best times there as a youngin.

daslicer
06-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Horry Respects TD and Hakeem though.

He talks highly of Tim..saying Hakeem is the greatest player he's ever played with is no Knock on Timmy since Hakeem probably had the most dominant peak of all all time greats.

Horry doesn't have the same amount of respect with Kobe and Shaq though, at least it doesn't sound like he respects those two.

Horry doesn't like the Spurs as an organization, IMO..When people ask him about the spurs nowadys he just tries to talk about something else.

I'm not surprised he respects Hakeem and Tim and hates kobe and Shaq obviously.

Horry has said on numerous occasions Kobe is better than both Hakeem and Duncan.

apalisoc_9
06-13-2015, 05:32 PM
A few years back maybe, his tone has changed a lot.

therealtruth
06-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Rudy T won back-to-back. Something Pop has never done.

Tuddy
06-13-2015, 10:44 PM
He was finished in 08, but thought because he was 'smarter than 99% of players in the league' he could still play.

kobyz
06-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Rudy has a heart of champion, pop has a soft pussy...

Sean Cagney
06-14-2015, 03:12 AM
Horry has said on numerous occasions Kobe is better than both Hakeem and Duncan.

I heard him say Hakeem was the best but never Kobe.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2015, 03:15 AM
Rudy T won back-to-back. Something Pop has never done.

Alright what did he do before and after that? Pop just went to back to back finals and lost that one narrowly, Rudy could have lost vs the Knicks as easily, it is that close in this league. All in all though I take Pop anyday of the week.

Raven
06-14-2015, 04:44 AM
he can say whatever he wants for all i care, i will always respect him.

lefty
06-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Except Rudy T would not have had those 2 rings had Jordan not retired.

I disagree

The Rockets matched up well with the Bulls and whooped their asses regularly

therealtruth
06-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Alright what did he do before and after that? Pop just went to back to back finals and lost that one narrowly, Rudy could have lost vs the Knicks as easily, it is that close in this league. All in all though I take Pop anyday of the week.

I think that just emphasizes how difficult to do it is. Pop's had 5 tries and failed each time. Doesn't mean Pop's not a good coach but I don't think it's something you can overlook either. They say repeating is much tougher than winning the first time.

daslicer
06-14-2015, 12:08 PM
I heard him say Hakeem was the best but never Kobe.

RZA he did pick Kobe over Duncan Here is his quote. "I would still pick Kobe. Tim is great, but I tell everybody this: Look at this from the GM perspective. Who’s going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena? Tim? Nah, not so many [laughs]. Don’t get me wrong, he’s going to win, but he won’t draw so many people to the arena."
http://www.lakersnation.com/seven-time-nba-champion-robert-horry-picks-kobe-over-duncan/2013/06/10/

I'm thankful for '05 but don't respect him. He comes across to me as a con man. He only had one great playoff run with the spurs which was '05 but all the other years he was pretty pathetic.

cjw
06-14-2015, 12:13 PM

I'd put him over Phil who is so overrated, but not over a visionary like Pop.

Hakeem is a shitty player? Probably top 10-15 of all time and had a decent supporting cast. Not to mention those two titles were in the non-Jordan years.

Hakeem's one of those rare situations where the guy drafted two spots after him ended up having the best career, but you still draft Hakeem there 10 times out of 10.

daslicer
06-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Hakeem is a shitty player? Probably top 10-15 of all time and had a decent supporting cast. Not to mention those two titles were in the non-Jordan years.

Hakeem's one of those rare situations where the guy drafted two spots after him ended up having the best career, but you still draft Hakeem there 10 times out of 10.

Rockets had some bad luck early on when it came to building a team around Dream. Sampson suffered a career ending knee injury and the rockets key perimeter players got banned from the league for drug use. If none of those things happen the Rockets could have easily been a dynasty and the bulls don't go on their run during the 90's. Even with the way the league is right now I would always draft a top 10 all time big over a top 10 all time perimeter player any day of the week since it's easier to build a team around a great big men. Its for this reason why I never blame the Rockets for drafting Dream over Jordan.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2015, 12:42 PM
I think that just emphasizes how difficult to do it is. Pop's had 5 tries and failed each time. Doesn't mean Pop's not a good coach but I don't think it's something you can overlook either. They say repeating is much tougher than winning the first time.
Yes and the Spurs were so damn close to doing it, one shot misses and they do repeat! They went to two finals in a row which is impressive on it's own IMO but yes it is that tough to repeat. I am not hung up on the repeat stuff like a few are (Mainly LA trolls), the longevity of the Spurs is a great feat and stands on it's own as one of the greatest achievements on sports IMO. I can't think of a team that has stayed relevant as long as the Spurs, even the Yankees who buy their team have down years but it seems the Spurs are always in the mix.

Sean Cagney
06-14-2015, 12:46 PM
I disagree

The Blazers could be said the same and the OKC Thunder as well against the Spurs, playoffs a different demon. They might have matched up well but you telling me in the finals where MJ steps it up a few notches they would not see a different outcome? I seriously doubt they get their ass whooped. I think maybe 95 they sneak one in, but in 1994 I see the Bulls beating them. It's all here say now but I don't go by regular season wins here or there. The Spurs beat the Rockets something like 5-1 in 1995, we see what that meant in the playoffs.

RZA he did pick Kobe over Duncan Here is his quote. "I would still pick Kobe. Tim is great, but I tell everybody this: Look at this from the GM perspective. Who’s going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena? Tim? Nah, not so many [laughs]. Don’t get me wrong, he’s going to win, but he won’t draw so many people to the arena."
http://www.lakersnation.com/seven-time-nba-champion-robert-horry-picks-kobe-over-duncan/2013/06/10/

I'm thankful for '05 but don't respect him. He comes across to me as a con man. He only had one great playoff run with the spurs which was '05 but all the other years he was pretty pathetic.

Yeah I read that a while back, mainly a business move and selling Tickets! From that perspective I see what he meant there. You could tell he didn't really want to get into the who he would really take in a game or on his team because know it would be Tim if he was playing on it.

Poolboy5623
06-14-2015, 12:52 PM
So....he talked up Rudy T (his first ever coach ), during the airing of "clutch city"....no way..

DrunkTXLabrat
06-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Horry should be coaching the Pelicans.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-14-2015, 12:57 PM
and he could bring Rudy T in as his lead assistant.

Dre_7
06-15-2015, 01:08 PM
I disagree

Yeah I kind of agree, but if people can come up with random reasons why a bunch of the Spurs Championship teams would not have won, then I can do it for other teams.

wildchild
06-15-2015, 01:34 PM

And he's wrong? Many GMs in the league would rather selling out all home games before the season begin than a title.

daslicer
06-15-2015, 01:45 PM
And he's wrong? Many GMs in the league would rather selling out all home games before the season begin than a title.

That was a bullshit answer I believe on his part. If you have winning team the games will sell out because everybody wants to pay to see a winner. You are not going to sell out home games if you have a team that's only capable of winning 20 games despite having a guy with a big name.

wildchild
06-15-2015, 02:02 PM
If you have winning team the games will sell out because everybody wants to pay to see a winner. You are not going to sell out home games if you have a team that's only capable of winning 20 games despite having a guy with a big name.

Not really...Clips, Thunder, won a title? When was the last time the Knicks or the Bulls won a championship?

Winners don't always sell tickets.

purist
06-15-2015, 02:05 PM
Rudy has a heart of champion, pop has a soft pussy...

Nope. Pop got rid of richard Jefferson.

Blake
06-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Oh you mean like Olajuwon, Drexler and Barkley.

Blake
06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Nope. Pop got rid of richard Jefferson.

And DeJuan Burger

Frank Dux
06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
Horry earned the right to say whatever the hell he wants and we have to deal with it.

daslicer
06-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Not really...Clips, Thunder, won a title? When was the last time the Knicks or the Bulls won a championship?

Winners don't always sell tickets.
Actually all those teams outside of the knicks have had winning records the last several years. So it proves my point people want to see winners. New York is an exception to the rule but that's usually not the case.

Maj_G
06-15-2015, 11:37 PM
I remember him picking (sorry no source) the dream over shaq and timmy, hmm he seems a little bias towards the rockets. maybe because he spent there his prime years?

Sean Cagney
06-16-2015, 12:42 AM
I remember him picking (sorry no source) the dream over shaq and timmy, hmm he seems a little bias towards the rockets. maybe because he spent there his prime years?
It's clear as day those were his fave days of his career, probably as you said it was when he was young and first entering the league and he probably had fun then and those times and memories mean more to him (As with most of us in life at certain times). I am guessing you are correct on that one, that just hits home to him more.

tmtcsc
06-16-2015, 05:55 PM
Robert Horry was as clutch as they came but his memory and judgment are apparently dulled by Mary Jane. Rudy T. was a player's coach who let the inmates run the asylum and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Pop as far as legacy.

C'mon now Bob!!!