PDA

View Full Version : Confession

Chinook
06-16-2015, 01:44 PM
The 2013 NBA Finals is my favorite basketball series ever. I hate the way it ended, but as far as the quality competition, story lines and big moments, 2013 takes it over 2014. Am I alone in this sentiment?

FromWayDowntown
06-16-2015, 02:01 PM
I honestly think the two best playoff series of the Duncan era, in terms of sheer competition and quality of play, were the 2013 Finals against Miami and the 2006 West Semifinals against Dallas.

I still think the absolute best series in that regard was the 2006 series with Dallas, which was just 2 heavyweights led by all-time players at their peaks, slugging it out for 7 excruciating games (2 overtime games (Games 4 and 7), 2 games decided by 1 point (Games 3 and 5), a game decided by 2 points (Game 1), and a 5 point game that was tied with 3 minutes to go (Game 6)). There are a lot of really bad memories from that series -- the Manu foul, the Mavs getting 22 4th quarter FTA in Game 3 and holding off a Spurs team that shot 13-17 from the field on the road, Bavetta's phantom technical on Finley in Game 4 (and yeah, yeah the small ball stuff) -- but 10 years down the road, the drama and quality of play from both teams for those two weeks was ridiculous.

The 2013 Finals was compelling in its first game and in its 2 games, but Games 2-5 were all won by fairly large margins.

Dex
06-16-2015, 02:02 PM
2013? Pretty sure I've repressed those memories.

hater
06-16-2015, 02:12 PM
worst chokejob in NBA history? no thanks.

we shoulda won that game 6. choked it away like a group of maggots.

if game 6 was not such a chokefest I might agree.

kobyz
06-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Winning that title then would have been somting out of this world, at that time there was a unique spontaneous feeling about that moment but then 6 happened, 2014 was just not the same as if we would have win 2013, sorry to say... And as for me, since that trauma of 6 I'm not the same person, that moment was the most black moment to experience, it left me big scar and took from me part of my soul...

gambit1990
06-16-2015, 02:19 PM
I still think the absolute best series in that regard was the 2006 series with Dallas, which was just 2 heavyweights led by all-time players at their peaks, slugging it out for 7 excruciating games (2 overtime games (Games 4 and 7), 2 games decided by 1 point (Games 3 and 5), a game decided by 2 points (Game 1), and a 5 point game that was tied with 3 minutes to go (Game 6)). There are a lot of really bad memories from that series -- the Manu foul, the Mavs getting 22 4th quarter FTA in Game 3 and holding off a Spurs team that shot 13-17 from the field on the road, Bavetta's phantom technical on Finley in Game 4 (and yeah, yeah the small ball stuff) -- but 10 years down the road, the drama and quality of play from both teams for those two weeks was ridiculous.
that was a scary maverick team.

spurs10
06-16-2015, 02:59 PM
I get what you mean, but 2014 was like a damn dream. Often times dominance is seen as boring. 2007 is probably the best example. I'm a fanatic and even I was disinterested at times. I was there for Game 5 and could not let myself celebrate until the clock turned 00:00. It was not boring in the least...loved every minute of it!!
:flag:

spurs10
06-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Winning that title then would have been somting out of this world, at that time there was a unique spontaneous feeling about that moment but then 6 happened, 2014 was just not the same as if we would have win 2013, sorry to say... And as for me, since that trauma of 6 I'm not the same person, that moment was the most black moment to experience, it left me big scar and took from me part of my soul... And then there's that....IT STILL HURTS! :wow

timtonymanu
06-16-2015, 03:23 PM
I enjoyed that series a lot too, although I wouldn't put above 2014 for obvious reasons. I do think it was a better series that was fought all the way until the end.

BillMc
06-16-2015, 03:34 PM
I agree that 2013 series was epic, though of course I hated how it ended. Part of the pain of sport that makes me appreciate 2014 more.

Truthfully, even though we lost, this series with the Clippers was epic as well. Game 7 with 31 lead changes. My god.

Actually, I'm trying to think of the best, most exciting series we won...gotta be Pistons 2005. Yet, that series was ugly to watch (kind of like this finals). That 2013 series had both teams playing at such a high level, one the Heat couldn't match the next year.

spurs10
06-16-2015, 03:41 PM
2005 was incredible!

tmtcsc
06-16-2015, 05:43 PM
The 2013 NBA Finals is my favorite basketball series ever. I hate the way it ended, but as far as the quality competition, story lines and big moments, 2013 takes it over 2014. Am I alone in this sentiment?

Yes. Yes you are. Reminds me of the old joke - "Well besides all that, did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?".

tmtcsc
06-16-2015, 05:51 PM
I agree that 2013 series was epic, though of course I hated how it ended. Part of the pain of sport that makes me appreciate 2014 more.

Truthfully, even though we lost, this series with the Clippers was epic as well. Game 7 with 31 lead changes. My god.

Actually, I'm trying to think of the best, most exciting series we won...gotta be Pistons 2005. Yet, that series was ugly to watch (kind of like this finals). That 2013 series had both teams playing at such a high level, one the Heat couldn't match the next year.

I hated the Clippers series. Although it was a tightly contested matchup, I thought it was ugly and featured a Spurs team that was not 100%. All the sloppy, uninspired, Hack-A-Jordan play by the Spurs was pitiful to watch. That thing should have been over in 5 games. Instead, we had a hobbled Tiago Splitter, and a gimpy Parker who got schooled by a one-legged Chris Paul.

I don't think we got out-coached but Pop did nothing to help with his mind-boggling line-ups and overall strategy. This series was lost in Game 6 when the Spurs were ready to roll the Clippers and Pop got cute with hacking. Just awful decision making. Not utilizing COJO's young legs to put more pressure on CP3 was also a mistake in my judgment.

Anyhoo...A much more entertaining, yet heartbreaking series for me was the Semi-Final matchup between the 1989-1990 Spurs and Portland Trailblazers. It went 7 and included 2 O.T.'s. That was a fantastic matchup.

BatManu20
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM
2005 was the most stressful for me, but not the best. It was a pretty ugly series, tbh. We had to grind it out, and Timmy didn't play particularly well in Game 5 or Game 7. Thank God for Big Shot Bob. 2013 was incredible, and the Title was ripe for the taking. But given the devastation that ensued in the final 48 minutes ans 6 seconds of that series, I could never put it at the top. 2006 vs the Mavs would probably take the cake. Just a great all-around series by two heavy-weights. Unfortunately we ended up with the short end of the stick on that one too, but still a great, competitive overall series with 2 OT's to boot.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2015, 06:14 PM
I honestly think the two best playoff series of the Duncan era, in terms of sheer competition and quality of play, were the 2013 Finals against Miami and the 2006 West Semifinals against Dallas.

The 2013 Finals was compelling in its first game and in its 2 games, but Games 2-5 were all won by fairly large margins.
2005 Detroit was great but Mavs and Spurs 7 game series was epic.... Down 3-1 to game 7 then down 22 to the lead late, rollercoaster beyond belief!!!! Classic hands down. Tim was hurt as well and put up his best series of his career on the O end, by far.
2005 was the most stressful for me, but not the best. It was a pretty ugly series, tbh. We had to grind it out, and Timmy didn't play particularly well in Game 5 or Game 7. Thank God for Big Shot Bob. 2013 was incredible, and the Title was ripe for the taking. But given the devastation that ensued in the final 48 minutes ans 6 seconds of that series, I could never put it at the top. 2006 vs the Mavs would probably take the cake. Just a great all-around series by two heavy-weights. Unfortunately we ended up with the short end of the stick on that one too, but still a great, competitive overall series with 2 OT's to boot.3 OT's I thought with game 7 being one??
2005 was incredible!

That was a MANS SERIES, grind it out tough D ball. That series was ugly as hell but I loved it.

Mikeanaro
06-16-2015, 06:19 PM
I thought this thread was to confess personal information about ourselves.
:pctoss

Spur|n|Austin
06-16-2015, 10:02 PM
2013 was quite entertaining, but personally - 6 was so beautiful and perfectly executed, that it's the one I'll always remember the most.

Tuddy
06-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Was better in that the heat were better, but 2014 the Spurs played at a level no team ever has in the finals.

cd021
06-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Every time someone mentions '06:depressed.

spurs10
06-16-2015, 11:30 PM
Yes. Yes you are. Reminds me of the old joke - "Well besides all that, did you enjoy the play Mrs. Lincoln?". Exactly! Great analogy! :toast

spurs10
06-16-2015, 11:33 PM
2013 was quite entertaining, but personally - 6 was so beautiful and perfectly executed, that it's the one I'll always remember the most. 6 was none of those things!

pgardn
06-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Was better in that the heat were better, but 2014 the Spurs played at a level no team ever has in the finals.

Sweetest basketball ever.

K...
06-17-2015, 12:14 PM
He talked to players about the urgency of this moment — the importance of winning Game 6 and avoiding the terror of a rested James in one winner-take-all game. Iguodala repeated the word “six” so often, team officials say, that it almost seemed as if he were trying to nestle it into each player’s brain as some sort of internal mantra.

Haha, iggy knew about six.

Spur|n|Austin
06-17-2015, 12:26 PM
6 was none of those things!

Doh! I meant 5! Five five five!

Dingle Barry
06-18-2015, 12:58 AM
That 06 Mavericks series took years off my life, as did 2013 Finals.