PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Butler plans to pursue shorter-term offer sheets - will Kawhi do the same?

SpursFan86
06-16-2015, 06:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--bulls-restricted-free-agent-jimmy-butler-plans-to-pursue-shorter-term-offer-sheets-212134060.html

Chicago Bulls restricted free-agent guard Jimmy Butler has plans to pursue shorter-term offer sheets this summer, resisting the Bulls’ initial plans to offer him a five-year, maximum contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

As the NBA’s salary cap is set to dramatically rise beginning with the 2016-17 season, Butler has become far less interested in locking himself into the five-year, $90 million-plus deal the Bulls are expected to present him on July 1, league sources said.

For Chicago, there’s no challenge to retaining Butler. As a restricted free agent, the Bulls have matching rights on any offer sheet. Nevertheless, Chicago could be faced with Butler’s agents at Relativity Media, Happy Walters and Steve McCaskill, loading up a short-term offer sheet that includes a trade kicker and the potential loss of Butler to unrestricted free agency in 2017.

I was hoping Kawhi would take the 5-year max, but it wouldn't be surprising if he went a similar route as Butler and wanted to avoid being locked into a 5-year deal with the substantial cap increase looming in the near future. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

DesignatedT
06-16-2015, 06:26 PM
I would be very surprised if Kawhi took a route like this. My guess is he's already agreed to the 5 year max and will officially sign whenever the Spurs ask him to.

DPG21920
06-16-2015, 06:32 PM
I just don't understand why Butler is taking so much risk, but more power to him. He bet on himself once and I guess earning 90M isn't worth it to him if you have a chance to earn 120M later? I mean, I personally don't understand that type of risk, but it's his life. I really hope he doesn't get hurt.

Mark Deeks pointed out that the Bulls can force him to sign an offer that is at least 3 years long if they tender him an offer for the full 5 year max with no options. It's a wrinkle in the CBA to help teams retain FA's as long as possible.

SpursFan86
06-16-2015, 06:34 PM
I just don't understand why Butler is taking so much risk, but more power to him. He bet on himself once and I guess earning 90M isn't worth it to him if you have a chance to earn 120M later? I mean, I personally don't understand that type of risk, but it's his life. I really hope he doesn't get hurt.

Mark Deeks pointed out that the Bulls can force him to sign an offer that is at least 3 years long if they tender him an offer for the full 5 year max with no options. It's a wrinkle in the CBA to help teams retain FA's as long as possible.

It's definitely a big gamble...and with Kawhi not exactly being the most healthy guy in the past (tendinitis in particular is a troublesome injury), I lean towards thinking that he'll play it safe and take the 5 year/$90 million.

As for the latter part - what if he signed an offer sheet somewhere else though? The Bulls would have to match, and all that would go out the window, no?

Mugen
06-16-2015, 06:37 PM
get ya money, Whi.

exstatic
06-16-2015, 06:50 PM
There was an article earlier this year saying that Kawhi wasn't going to pursue offer sheets, so he probably has an agreement already hammered out with the Spurs.

exstatic
06-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Yeah, but Butler can negotiate with the other team and make the last year a player option. Chicago would have to give him the same option if they matched.

Mel_13
06-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah, but Butler can negotiate with the other team and make the last year a player option. Chicago would have to give him the same option if they matched.

No. If the team tenders a max qualifying offer, then any offer sheet must include at least three fully guaranteed years.

therealtruth
06-16-2015, 07:55 PM
If I was Kawhi I would insist they move TP.

wildchild
06-16-2015, 07:58 PM
The Spurs will never allow Kawhi to effectively play to his strengths and develop his game. That's why he should sign a short offer and hit the market in two years.

If that means take a risk, he should take it.

But fortunately for us, he won't do it.

Russ
06-16-2015, 07:58 PM
It's also what Aldridge will do, by the way.

Which is why the Spurs have some hope to sign him ("hope" if you believe that would be a good thing).

apalisoc_9
06-16-2015, 08:04 PM

good post

Spur|n|Austin
06-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Pretty greedy, tbh. I'm all for making lots of money, but there's the risk of injury here. To each their own.

ElNono
06-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Jimmy Butler is overrated as fuck anyways... good luck whoever lands him

Beaverfuzz
06-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Nobody gives a shit about little Jimmy.

cd021
06-16-2015, 11:13 PM
He'd probably take the 5 year max. Has alot of odd injuries, (breaking his finger because it got caught on another players arm coming around a screen). I though Kawhi's max was 5 years $100 million not $90 like Butlers.

james evans
06-16-2015, 11:33 PM
likewise. There is no fucking way I'd re-sign back with the spurs if parker was coming back. He needs to grow some balls. I would straight up tell them, "he goes, or I go" and bring film of games during the finals in which there were fast breaks and parker flat out refused to past him the ball on an outlet pass. He needs to get the hell away from parker/spurs organization if they are gonna allow him to keep playing this way when he's washed up

SpursFan86
06-22-2015, 11:02 AM

Not sure if this is just a baseless assumption or something he's heard from people close to the situation, but hopefully he's right.

G-Dawgg
06-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Imagine if we could sign Jimmy Butler?! Our perimeter defense would be impregnable. He's also young enough to pair with Kawhi for many years, and in addition to that he's a two way player. We'd have the 2 best young perimeter defenders/2 way players in the league. Scary.

Hoops Czar
06-22-2015, 11:57 AM
Jimmy Butler is overrated as fuck anyways... good luck whoever lands him
And just like other overrated fucks, he's gonna get paid.

ducks
06-22-2015, 12:03 PM
with leonard pick eye
hand injury would be wise to sign long term deal

Richie
06-22-2015, 12:19 PM
I think Butler is crazy to sign short term. He isn't a Lebron or Davis once-in-a-generation talent, and after witnessing first hand Derrick Roses fall from grace after multiple ACL injuries? Seems like he's being badly advised.

Imagine if Rose did this and was a free agent now after playing 61 games in the past 3 seasons, how much would he get? $40m/4yr? As it stands he's going to be making $41m over the next 2 years and has time to play himself back in to form for his next contract.

DPG21920
06-22-2015, 12:30 PM
I agree. I commented earlier on how shocking Jimmys actions are if true. He gambled once and won. You can survive if you take 80M instead of 100M. You will hate yourself if you get hurt. Sounds like a greedy agent. Really hope he stays healthy.

I'm glad Kawhi is smart. Cash in and set your family for life. Sure, 20M more is amazing but 80M sets your family for life.

look_at_g_shred
06-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Imagine if we could sign Jimmy Butler?! Our perimeter defense would be impregnable. He's also young enough to pair with Kawhi for many years, and in addition to that he's a two way player. We'd have the 2 best young perimeter defenders/2 way players in the league. Scary.
It won't happen. For the main reason that he's not going to be able to play the same minutes he's playing in Chicago. We all know how pop is with minute management ( if he was wiser this would be a good reason to come here because it could help him when he gets older) Thibs was notorious for running his players into the ground. Playing time, i'm sure is a big factor for him. Also, he's been linked to the lakers as of late. The lakers i'm certain, will happy to play him the 40 minutes a night he wants to play.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2015, 05:17 PM
with leonard pink eye
:lmao

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2015, 05:19 PM
I keep hearing Butler wants to eventually get paid 5yr/180M... The other teams can keep him, but if not for that I'd trade Leonard for him in a heartbeat.

99 Problems
06-22-2015, 08:37 PM
No, Kawhi is already on a winning team. No need to do the same as Jim.

Kool Bob Love
06-22-2015, 09:59 PM
with leonard pick eye

:rollin

james evans
06-23-2015, 11:02 AM
guys are just waiting for the salary cap to rise. I don't have a problem with it