PDA

View Full Version : Cats

Blake
06-17-2015, 10:34 AM
" BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- If you get a warm, fuzzy feeling after watching cute cat videos online, the effect may be more profound than you think.

The Internet phenomenon of watching cat videos, from*Lil Bub*to*Grumpy Cat, does more than simply entertain; it boosts viewers' energy and positive emotions and decreases negative feelings, according to*a new study*by an Indiana University Media School researcher.

The study, by assistant professor*Jessica Gall Myrick, surveyed almost 7,000 people about their viewing of cat videos and how it affects their moods. It was published in the latest issue of Computers in Human Behavior. Lil Bub’s owner, Mike Bridavsky, who lives in Bloomington, helped distribute the survey via social media.

"Some people may think watching online cat videos isn’t a serious enough topic for academic research, but the fact is that it’s one of the most popular uses of the Internet today,” Myrick said. “If we want to better understand the effects the Internet may have on us as individuals and on society, then researchers can’t ignore Internet cats anymore.

"We all have watched a cat video online, but there is really little empirical work done on why so many of us do this, or what effects it*might*have on us,” added Myrick, who owns a pug but no cats. “As a media researcher and online cat video viewer, I felt compelled to gather some data about this pop culture phenomenon.”Internet data show there were more than 2 million cat videos posted on YouTube in 2014, with almost 26 billion views. Cat videos had more views per video than any other category of YouTube content.

In Myrick’s study, the most popular sites for viewing cat videos were Facebook, YouTube, Buzzfeed and I Can*Has Cheezburger.

Among the possible effects Myrick hoped to explore: Does viewing cat videos online have the same kind of positive impact as pet therapy? And do some viewers actually feel worse after watching cat videos because they feel guilty for putting off tasks they need to tackle?Of the participants in the study, about 36 percent described themselves as a “cat person,” while about 60 percent said they liked both cats and dogs.

Participants in Myrick’s study reported:They were more energetic and felt more positive after watching cat-related online media than before.

They had fewer negative emotions, such as anxiety, annoyance and sadness, after watching cat-related online media than before.
They often view Internet cats at work or during studying.
The pleasure they got from watching cat videos outweighed any guilt they felt about procrastinating.
Cat owners and people with certain personality traits, such as agreeableness and shyness, were more likely to watch cat videos.
About 25 percent of the cat videos they watched were ones they sought out; the rest were ones they happened upon.

They were familiar with many so-called “celebrity cats,” such as*Nala Cat*and*Henri, Le Chat Noir.Overall, the response to watching cat videos was largely positive.

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2015/06/internet-cat-video-research.shtml

Venti Quattro
06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
N0 LyF3 ScRuB

Blake
06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
:cry no lyfe gets to say i told you so

JudynTX
06-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Unless you live with cats 24-7, you won't understand how happy they make you feel. Even at 4:00 am.

Blake
06-17-2015, 01:08 PM
Unless you live with cats 24-7, you won't understand how happy they make you feel. Even at 4:00 am.

4am wutttt

Avante
06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7lKHn_pTeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQ6ih0R_zY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf4A-63p3kA

cantthinkofanything
06-17-2015, 01:56 PM
We have 2 cats named, "Pisser" and "Shitter".
Pisser pees all over everything. And Shitter just eats and rapes Pisser.

Koolaid_Man
06-17-2015, 02:05 PM
We have 2 cats named, "Pisser" and "Shitter".
Pisser pees all over everything. And Shitter just eats and rapes Pisser.

We? So whats the name of the niigga you living with phaggot Cat Lover

cantthinkofanything
06-17-2015, 02:09 PM

Rastus Trowbridge III

CavsSuperFan
06-17-2015, 03:13 PM
We had a black bear problem in my neighborhood…But since I adopted a cat the bears are nowhere to be seen…

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2015, 09:09 PM
:lol

Something about single men that have cats. I guess if your girlfriend has a cat, you have to tolerate. Or you married a chick that had a cat, it came as a package.

apalisoc_9
06-18-2015, 01:32 AM
I thought this thread was about no lyfe..Tbh

Woo Bum-kon
06-18-2015, 03:50 AM
My favorite cat videos involve Asian women with high heels.

RD2191
06-18-2015, 09:04 AM
I thought this thread was about no lyfe..Tbh
:lol

Blake
11-20-2015, 10:42 AM

" A Texas cat owner admitted 'I have approximately 50 and I collected them over time' as 57 cats were seized from her San Antonio home on November 5.*KSAT12 News*reported November 5 this is the second time a large number of cats were removed from her home.

D'ann Trethan, 68, was paid a routine visit by investigators on Wednesday. Animal Services returned to the home with a warrant on Thursday with orders for Trethan and was not to interfere after a disturbing mess was discovered....

The ammonia level inside was so high the San Antonio Fire Department was called in to help. Trethan agreed the stench affected her, but told KSAT12 she lived in the house with the cats because she cared about the animals. The news crew said they could smell the ammonia from down the street once doors to the home were opened. Although many of the cats are allegedly sick, Trethan defended keeping the cats in such horrible conditions..

" There's feces and urine on the floor in mounds. There are litter*boxes*but they are overflowing. The animals have animal waste on them, in their fur, and the smell, of course, is very, very strong.""

http://www.examiner.com/article/texas-cat-owner-stated-i-have-approximately-50-and-i-collected-them-over-time

Blake
11-20-2015, 10:48 AM
But she's happy tho

I. Hustle
11-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Cats are disgusting

Blake
11-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Cats are disgusting

but they bathe themselves :cry

mrsmaalox
11-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Cats are disgusting

No, cat owners who don't maintain their pets and homes are disgusting.

I. Hustle
11-20-2015, 11:44 AM
No, cat owners who don't maintain their pets and homes are disgusting.

Cats.

Are.

Disgusting.

Avante
11-20-2015, 12:02 PM
I owned a little British Bulldog named Brownie, a female cat named Suzy and her son Samson, a huge tomcat. I was around 10/11 out back hunting birds with my bb gun when all of a sudden this big German Sheperd from down the street jumped on little Brownie, he's whipping up on him pretty good, when out of nowhere here come Suzy and Samson, they pounce on that dogs back and and take him down. Now all three of them are tearing into that dog as I try to get a shot with my bb gun.

The Shepherd finally shakes loose and takes off running with Brownie, Suzy and Samson in hot pursuit. I did get a shot but missed.

Love cats

SpursforSix
11-20-2015, 12:13 PM
Cat's are OK...but yeah...if you think about it too much, it's easy to get grossed out. If they're indoor cats or use a litter box.
They use the litter box and then scrape that all around. So there is no doubt, small remnants of feces on their paws.
So they're walking around the kitchen counters, beds, couches, etc. with that on their feet.

That being said, we've got 2 cats (as well as 2 dogs, 2 horses, 2 rabbits, and a Guinea pig) They're great pets and pretty fun to watch. But as far as the potential
to spread germs all over the place...I try not to think about it.

Plus they are primary hosts to Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that has been linked to mental disease in humans.
Here's on article. But there are tons out there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii-linked-to-mental-illness-schizophrenia/

Wild Cobra
11-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Cat's are OK...but yeah...if you think about it too much, it's easy to get grossed out. If they're indoor cats or use a litter box.
They use the litter box and then scrape that all around. So there is no doubt, small remnants of feces on their paws.
So they're walking around the kitchen counters, beds, couches, etc. with that on their feet.

That being said, we've got 2 cats (as well as 2 dogs, 2 horses, 2 rabbits, and a Guinea pig) They're great pets and pretty fun to watch. But as far as the potential
to spread germs all over the place...I try not to think about it.

Plus they are primary hosts to Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that has been linked to mental disease in humans.
Here's on article. But there are tons out there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cat-parasite-toxoplasma-gondii-linked-to-mental-illness-schizophrenia/

Clean the litter box more often...

ChumpDumper
11-20-2015, 09:20 PM
Or teach your cat to shit in the toilet.

DMC
11-21-2015, 01:07 AM
Good thing about cats is their eyes shine in the dark so they are easy to see under cars, down the sights of your pellet rifle.