PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Death of the Stern Affect

disciple
06-17-2015, 12:41 PM
David Stern was masterful in building up the NBA.

What is true for all of us is also with him.

Our greatest strengths can be detrimental weaknesses under different circumstances.

Stern's promotion of individualism in his stars was intragal in the leagues growth.

Unfortunately, it brewed a generation of new talent raised in this culture. Thus the game changed.

The beginning of its death began as Stern was passing off his stamp on the league to Adam Silver. I find no coincidence in this timing.

With Silver taking control the last two champions have returned the game to a game rather than a circus act of freakish talent alone. They have great talent but the team won with support players being bread into the team needs and blossoming when most needed.

I have not watched recent finals that the Spurs were no part of because I love the game of basketball. I didn't enjoy what I was watching. However, this year I watched and enjoyed the execution of team play and role players providing for team what was ended from them. Simply, Steve Kerr bread this environment from the beginning. His counterpart emphasized the big three.

Thank you Mr. Silver.

FromWayDowntown
06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Silva, Silver. It's pretty much the same.

disciple
06-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Good catch

Malik Hairston
06-17-2015, 01:20 PM
I don't really see a difference, tbh..

People still complain about refs, people are still accusing the league of rigging games, etc:lol..

The only difference is that Silver's reign began as the Lakers died and the analytics era became prominent, which has promoted team ball and less ISO ball..

Darth_Pelican
06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
The 2015 NBA Finals had the highest ratings since Michael Jordan was on the court. That bodes well for Silver whether he is responsible for it or not. The NBA is a business, and business is good. When business is good, people in leadership roles are praised.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2015, 02:01 PM
:cry Thanks, Silver, for bringing le CLASS-ketball back :cry

disciple
06-21-2015, 10:31 AM
Hmmmmm........ Only difference?

Mori Chu
06-21-2015, 10:48 AM
intragal?

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Same no integrity faggot as Stern.

"I'm going to clean up flopping".
Gives one fine in the entire playoffs. :lol

Sneaky stuff like end of game Spurs Clipps NBA reffing report not so mysteriously missing.
He's just Stern Jr.

Thread
06-21-2015, 11:29 AM
+ Silver is the guy who lynched Sterling. We can't ever forget that.

Thread
06-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Same no integrity faggot as Stern.

"I'm going to clean up flopping".
Gives one fine in the entire playoffs. :lol

Sneaky stuff like end of game Spurs Clipps NBA reffing report not so mysteriously missing.
He's just Stern Jr.

Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.

The door was wide open for your 1st repeat and you refused to go thru. Your regrets are your own.

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Only pussies & assholes blame the officiating.
https://meblogwritegood.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/screen-shot-2011-12-12-at-4-12-52-pm.png

:lol Only pussies and assholes lube up and accept rigged officiating.

Thread
06-21-2015, 11:36 AM
:lol Only pussies and assholes lube up and accept rigged officiating.

Only pussies & assholes blame the officiatingPERIOD

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 11:55 AM
https://meblogwritegood.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/screen-shot-2011-12-12-at-4-12-52-pm.png

Only pussies & assholes blame the officiatingPERIOD
:lol Only pussies and assholes accept rigged reffing PERIOD.

I can go all day with ya parrot. :lol

Thread
06-21-2015, 12:17 PM
:lol Only pussies and assholes accept rigged reffing PERIOD.

I can go all day with ya parrot. :lol

That's because the door was so wide open, your repeat just past the threshold and you froze on the stoop.

Mitch
06-21-2015, 12:23 PM
That's because the door was so wide open, your repeat just past the threshold and you froze on the stoop.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217346&page=61

HAHA!!!!! I told you guys. It's ours!!!!!

:lol

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 12:38 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/k6dCQEcv8p8/hqdefault.jpg
I think you're losing it.

Thread
06-21-2015, 12:44 PM
I think you're losing it.

No. You let the ne'er do well Clippers keep you from your repeat.

Infinite_limit
06-21-2015, 01:39 PM
The 2015 NBA Finals had the highest ratings since Michael Jordan was on the court. That bodes well for Silver whether he is responsible for it or not. The NBA is a business, and business is good. When business is good, people in leadership roles are praised.
Great story line in 2015
- James returns to Cleveland
- Warriors & Curry 1st Title shot

What happens when it is James' 4th [0-3] NBA Finals appearance with Cleveland in 5 years?

Fabbs
06-21-2015, 03:18 PM
No. You let the ne'er do well Clippers keep you from your repeat.

all day

Thread
06-21-2015, 05:05 PM
all day

So you're gonna take an old man's last onions, Fabbs? I'm sittin' here, no A/C, a fuckin' swamp cooler eatin' plain label popsicles in a 115 degrees and you're gonna take my shit?

Beaverfuzz
06-21-2015, 05:38 PM
The 2015 NBA Finals had the highest ratings since Michael Jordan was on the court.

And that's quite sad actually. Still nothing compares to the NBA on NBC.

DMC
06-21-2015, 09:50 PM
David Stern was masterful in building up the NBA.

What is true for all of us is also with him.

Our greatest strengths can be detrimental weaknesses under different circumstances.

Stern's promotion of individualism in his stars was intragal in the leagues growth.

Unfortunately, it brewed a generation of new talent raised in this culture. Thus the game changed.

The beginning of its death began as Stern was passing off his stamp on the league to Adam Silver. I find no coincidence in this timing.

With Silver taking control the last two champions have returned the game to a game rather than a circus act of freakish talent alone. They have great talent but the team won with support players being bread into the team needs and blossoming when most needed.

I have not watched recent finals that the Spurs were no part of because I love the game of basketball. I didn't enjoy what I was watching. However, this year I watched and enjoyed the execution of team play and role players providing for team what was ended from them. Simply, Steve Kerr bread this environment from the beginning. His counterpart emphasized the big three.

Thank you Mr. Silver.

That's one way to spin it.

The truth is closer to this:

Steph Curry is the face of the franchise, but he was shut down by a nobody that the NBA cannot afford to promote due to him not being capable of living up to it. The Warriors had an amazing season, however much respect they get for it, it should be tempered with the understanding that the league was in chaos during this time. There were stronger forces that were crippled during this run. The Thunder were the heir apparent team, but they fell to injury, as did the Blazers, Mavs, Spurs and even the Rockets for most of the season (and Clippers when Blake was out). Then you have the East where the Cavs lost Love in the 1st round, then Kyrie. Sure you win with what you have, and kudos to the Warriors for doing whatever they needed to do to remain healthy, a lot of that is on Kerr for his minute management of players, however let's not pretend that the Warriors rose from the ashes and smote the horde of dragons in the league. They were the last team standing. If you recall the MMA beginnings on television, they used to have guys fight in a tournament style competition for Ultimate Fighter championships. There was a cop from Detroit or somewhere who basically won by default because the guy he was supposed to fight was injured in the previous fight, so he comes out and just tackles the guy and they stop the fight. He had no chance otherwise. Injuries matter.

I expect the individual performers to return to being game changers next season. This team thing is ok, but it doesn't sell jerseys and shoes. You'll have Melo, Rose (maybe), Lillard, Irving, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry and Davis (and others) putting up big numbers. The best team in each conference will be the team with the best stars, not like this year. It's nothing to do with Stern, it was an anomaly.

DMC
06-21-2015, 09:53 PM
intragal?
Yes, something that occurs within the gral, unlike an intergal.

Beaverfuzz
06-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Steph Curry is the face of the franchise, but he was shut down by a nobody that the NBA cannot afford to promote due to him not being capable of living up to it. The Warriors had an amazing season, however much respect they get for it, it should be tempered with the understanding that the league was in chaos during this time. There were stronger forces that were crippled during this run. The Thunder were the heir apparent team, but they fell to injury, as did the Blazers, Mavs, Spurs and even the Rockets for most of the season (and Clippers when Blake was out). Then you have the East where the Cavs lost Love in the 1st round, then Kyrie. Sure you win with what you have, and kudos to the Warriors for doing whatever they needed to do to remain healthy, a lot of that is on Kerr for his minute management of players, however let's not pretend that the Warriors rose from the ashes and smote the horde of dragons in the league. They were the last team standing. If you recall the MMA beginnings on television, they used to have guys fight in a tournament style competition for Ultimate Fighter championships. There was a cop from Detroit or somewhere who basically won by default because the guy he was supposed to fight was injured in the previous fight, so he comes out and just tackles the guy and they stop the fight. He had no chance otherwise. Injuries matter.

I expect the individual performers to return to being game changers next season. This team thing is ok, but it doesn't sell jerseys and shoes. You'll have Melo, Rose (maybe), Lillard, Irving, Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry and Davis (and others) putting up big numbers. The best team in each conference will be the team with the best stars, not like this year. It's nothing to do with Stern, it was an anomaly.

That is true, the two biggest obstacles for the Warriors met in the first round, and both of them choked away a home game 6. Once that happened, it was quite obvious who was winning it all.

Thread
06-23-2015, 11:32 PM
That is true, the two biggest obstacles for the Warriors met in the first round, and both of them choked away a home game 6. Once that happened, it was quite obvious who was winning it all.

LeBron sure as shootin' wasn't gonna put up a fuss.

disciple
06-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Good take. We shall see starting next year. It's all so fun.

thanks for listening

ambchang
06-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Mixing up coincidence with causation.

The rule changes that occurred to enable a more free flowing offense was in place years ago. It started with the hand-checking stuff, 3 second violation, but it took coaches years to adapt and build the right rosters. As much as people like to laugh at him, D'antoni brought in European influences, and this was preceded by the Kings using a Princeton-based to moderate success in the early 00s under Adelman. Then Thibadeau with his complex defensive schemes essentially showed the world how to shut down isolation offenses and take advantage of the rule changes.