View Full Version : 2015 Draft Prospect: Montrezl Harrell

Drom John
06-18-2015, 10:29 AM
http://content.draftexpress.com/headshots/montrezlharrell.jpeg

Height: 6-8
Weight: 253 lbs
Date of Birth: 01/26/1994
University: Louisville

DX Profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Montrezl-Harrell-7019/)

24th in Draft Express 9AM 17 June 2015D
But 26th in Chad Ford's first full draft. Hat tip to AFBlue.

Chinook
06-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Would love to see this guy drop to the Spurs. Could be Chuck Hayes with a jumpshot. Think he'd fit in well next to Baynes off the bench in a few years.

palangi
06-18-2015, 12:39 PM
How would he fit perfect next to Baynes? Neither one can shoot? Seems they would just clog everything together. I don't think an undersized PF is a good fit.

id rather see christian wood and his height and length come in. plus he has a more polished offensive game

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Don't think he's there at 26

Chinook
06-18-2015, 01:54 PM
How would he fit perfect next to Baynes? Neither one can shoot? Seems they would just clog everything together. I don't think an undersized PF is a good fit.

id rather see christian wood and his height and length come in. plus he has a more polished offensive game

Both Baynes and Harrell can shoot from big range. Baynes is a decent defender against big strong guys. He just can't defend quick guys. Harrell defended some threes in college, and he can hold his own against strong power-forwards. But he can't guard true centers. He's a better weak-side shot-blocker as well, which will work next to Baynes, who doesn't protect the rim very well. The bench would be fun running a PnR with him and Baynes as the roll-men.

Is he as good as Wood can be if the light turns on? No. But he'd have an instant role on the team and would probably be a favorite in the locker room. Wood would probably be in Austin for two years before being traded and passed around like a join for the rest of his rookie deal.

palangi
06-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Both Baynes and Harrell can shoot from big range. Baynes is a decent defender against big strong guys. He just can't defend quick guys. Harrell defended some threes in college, and he can hold his own against strong power-forwards. But he can't guard true centers. He's a better weak-side shot-blocker as well, which will work next to Baynes, who doesn't protect the rim very well. The bench would be fun running a PnR with him and Baynes as the roll-men.

Is he as good as Wood can be if the light turns on? No. But he'd have an instant role on the team and would probably be a favorite in the locker room. Wood would probably be in Austin for two years before being traded and passed around like a join for the rest of his rookie deal.
Ok

Chinook
06-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Only problem with a Harrell pick is that he is essentially a more athletic but less skilled version of LJC. I could see the team looking at a legit center if they go big at 26. It's a reason why Vaughn or Wright would make sense if they fell that far.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-18-2015, 02:21 PM
I'd like Harrell a lot more than i liked Blair.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2015, 03:34 PM
Only problem with a Harrell pick is that he is essentially a more athletic but less skilled version of LJC. I could see the team looking at a legit center if they go big at 26. It's a reason why Vaughn or Wright would make sense if they fell that far.

Do you see a situation where the Spurs trade down?

palangi
06-18-2015, 06:02 PM
A guy like nikola milutinov would be interesting as a center prospect.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nikola-Milutinov-7116/

AFBlue
06-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Things to like:
1. Motor, motor, motor. Relentless, aggressive energy that doesn't quit.
2. Length and Strength. Nearly a 7'5 wingspan on a solid 255lb frame.
3. Elite-level athlete. Uses speed and hops to finish in transition or clean up missed buckets.
4. Emerging offensive game. Flashed the ability to step out and hit a mid-range jumper.
5. Defense. Solid production both on blocks and steals, uses his tools to effect the game.

Causes for concern:
1. Offense not polished. Has relied on his athleticism, but he'll be among similar or better athletes at the next level. Can he up his game?
2. Not a particularly good defensive rebounder. Is it indicative of less effort on that end, always going for the block, or the system defense? Either way, he'll have something to prove on that end.
3. IQ. His relentless motor is a great asset, but will he be able to play within a disciplined complex system that relies on movement?

Personally I think the good outweighs the bad with Harrell and the Spurs could benefit from his infusion of youth, athleticism and boundless energy.

Ditty
06-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Harrell is my number one guy based on our needs. I think we are missing a physical, high motor, athletic guy that can do all the dirty work on both ends of the floor. His defensive rebounding does worry me, but he has some special physical traits that make him appealing enough especially for a late first round pick.

A small ball lineup of:
C: Aldridge?
PF: Harrell
SF: Kawhi
SG: Green?
PG: Parker?

after this season could be very solid.

palangi
06-18-2015, 07:39 PM

raybies
06-18-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't know if Aldridge is gonna sign but even if you put Duncan there, it's still pretty good. If he can play d at an elite level against most pf and some 3s and hit the elbow j, I like this as the pick. Otherwise no.

xellos88330
06-18-2015, 09:05 PM
If he can be an above the rim intimidator on defense, then he is worth a look.