PDA

View Full Version : Would this be an option?

spurso
06-19-2015, 11:44 AM
I saw this article on ESPN that the Cavs are looking to trade Brendan Heywoods contract and 24th pick in the draft. Would it be a good idea for the spurs to trade Patty Mills for this? Would the Cavs do it? Theoretically, it would free up cap space to sign a free agent and give us an extra draft pick. I would hate to lose Patty but we have cojo. What do you think?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13112332/cleveland-cavaliers-looking-trade-brendan-haywood-draft-pick-upgrade-roster

monkeypunk
06-19-2015, 11:47 AM
Don't want to lose Patty for this moron. He's got a negative BBIQ which is why he never plays. PATFO are too smart to throw money and chemistry away for this box of rocks and moving up two spots.

spurso
06-19-2015, 11:52 AM
According to the article, we could waive Haywood with no with no cap hit plus get the 24th pick. So we would have the 24th and 26th pick which we could use or send to someone else to move up.

DPG21920
06-19-2015, 12:03 PM
They aren't giving up a pick and Haywood for Mills. They are likely going to get a very, very good asset for Haywood because his contract is like gold.

Why would they give up their pick and Haywood for Mills when they could just keep their pick and waive Haywood and remove all of his salary? They might be willing to trade their pick alone for Mills, but definitely not Haywood (despite salary cap issues too).

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-19-2015, 12:16 PM
OP should take a closer look at Haywood's contract and make more research. That package is worth much more than Mills.

K...
06-19-2015, 12:17 PM
I'd rather trade mills for a mid teens pic, but with this draft I don't know if I see that being available. Mills for a first round and no salary sounds acceptable. He's replaceable and we've speculated for some time that he and or splitter would need moving in a deal like this

cd021
06-19-2015, 12:20 PM
They aren't giving up a pick and Haywood for Mills. They are likely going to get a very, very good asset for Haywood because his contract is like gold.

Why would they give up their pick and Haywood for Mills when they could just keep their pick and waive Haywood and remove all of his salary? They might be willing to trade their pick alone for Mills, but definitely not Haywood (despite salary cap issues too).

They'd probably be looking for an above average role player, which Mills is.

There big man rotation is jam packed with Love, Thompson, Mosgov & Varejao. Smith, Shumpert (both will almost certainly be back) along with James eats up all of the wing minutes

backup PG is really the only hole there.

They'd be better off keeping their pick and drafting Delon Wright, who is a 6'5 PG and an good defender and play maker.

We couldn't make a deal for involving Mills without Haywood's contract because they are way over the cap and most of their players are either core players and or restricted FAs.

spurso
06-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Do u think Cavs would do mills splitter? Would Spurs? That would free up cap space to go after LA.

DPG21920
06-19-2015, 12:24 PM
They'd probably be looking for an above average role player, which Mills is.

There big man rotation is jam packed with Love, Thompson, Mosgov & Varejao. Smith, Shumpert (both will almost certainly be back) along with James eats up all of the wing minutes

backup PG is really the only hole there.

They'd be better off keeping their pick and drafting Delon Wright, who is a 6'5 PG and an good defender and play maker.

We couldn't make a deal for involving Mills without Haywood's contract because they are way over the cap and most of their players are either core players and or restricted FAs.

They are not looking for just a role player for both assets. Not only that, they seem to want a creator, which Mills is not. Doesn't fit either way you look. I don't doubt they would have interest in Mills for their pick, but not Haywoods contract. That is too valuable with regards to erasing salary and opening up cap space - especially with a pick attached to it.

Spurs could definitely make the deal with CLE if they wanted to - its just not likely at all. Spurs could absorb Haywood into existing cap space and CLE getting Mills back is less than they are sending out so they are fine.

DPG21920
06-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Do u think Cavs would do mills splitter? Would Spurs? That would free up cap space to go after LA.

There could be worse ways to get cap space, but ultimately I don't think the Spurs would. Cavs would most definitely do that deal IMO.

Spurs would value Tiago much more than just cap space and that pick - especially giving up Mills too. But if they were really confident they wanted and could get LA or Gasol, they could do something like that but it should be last option.

buttsR4rebounding
06-19-2015, 12:45 PM
There could be worse ways to get cap space, but ultimately I don't think the Spurs would. Cavs would most definitely do that deal IMO.

Spurs would value Tiago much more than just cap space and that pick - especially giving up Mills too. But if they were really confident they wanted and could get LA or Gasol, they could do something like that but it should be last option.

I bet the Spurs will shop Diaw over Splitter. If they are going after LA then Aldridge would have Diaw's offense go to him for the most part. A defensive big would be more valuable to the Spurs. If something like this happens draft night I bet LA is a done deal.

raybies
06-19-2015, 12:49 PM
I actually think Boris is more valuable. He's probably the best small ball big in the league and is on a good contract.

Spur|n|Austin
06-19-2015, 12:53 PM
fail

kobyz
06-19-2015, 12:58 PM
With all the love to patty i would do this, i think patty is a one trick pony that team start learning and we need a change overall!

cjw
06-19-2015, 04:16 PM

They have Mozgov at <$5mm next year plus Love coming back and Tristan almost certainly being retained. I think the wings are the biggest hole for them. Mills would be a great fit for them but don't love that D with him+Irving playing any minutes together.

koriwhat
06-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Lol at getting rid mills... the only dude besides duncan that had balls this post season.

Sean Cagney
06-19-2015, 09:37 PM
No it would not be an option....

cd021
06-19-2015, 10:14 PM
They are not looking for just a role player for both assets. Not only that, they seem to want a creator, which Mills is not. Doesn't fit either way you look. I don't doubt they would have interest in Mills for their pick, but not Haywoods contract. That is too valuable with regards to erasing salary and opening up cap space - especially with a pick attached to it.

Spurs could definitely make the deal with CLE if they wanted to - its just not likely at all. Spurs could absorb Haywood into existing cap space and CLE getting Mills back is less than they are sending out so they are fine.

Based on what i've read, they may not be looking for a role player but there really isn't many better options. Caulderon maybe the guy they get. The Knicks are targeting a second first rounder and moving Calderon's $8 million would give them $32 million in cap space. Still a very good shooter and above average play-maker.

DPG21920
06-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Based on what i've read, they may not be looking for a role player but there really isn't many better options. Caulderon maybe the guy they get. The Knicks are targeting a second first rounder and moving Calderon's $8 million would give them $32 million in cap space. Still a very good shooter and above average play-maker.

Even in that scenario that would fit much better next to Kyrie or off the bench rather than Mills for the Haywood/Pick package. I think it's pretty valuable though (Haywoods contract) and might fetch something nice. Mills is good and may very well net a first round pick if he's moved.

cd021
06-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Even in that scenario that would fit much better next to Kyrie or off the bench rather than Mills for the Haywood/Pick package. I think it's pretty valuable though (Haywoods contract) and might fetch something nice. Mills is good and may very well net a first round pick if he's moved.

Kevin Martin fits the price range, though they don't need the help with Shump, Smith and Lebron eating all of the minutes.

I have a suspicion that the Spurs may trade Mills for a pick. Maybe if R.J Hunter falls to the second round they could make a deal for Hunter and the rights to Nemanja Bjelica (Minnesota has the 31st pick and his draft rights)
or they could package the 26th pick and take a stab at Kaminsky, who could fall to the late teens (Milwaukee, Washington range)