PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality Headsets

NASpurs
06-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Has anyone tried either? What did you think?

What do you guys think, is it the wave of the future or just a fad that's going to die eventually like 3D did in the home?

The more I read about it, the more it seems it's making journalists into converts.

As for other uses, it would be awesome, for example, there being some capture device at the 50 yard line of a football game or in the stands somewhere (or whatever sport you like) and it capturing the sights and sounds of that exact point. Just makes you feel immersed in the game like if you were actually there while tracking your head movement as you follow the ball and the plays. Probably also giving you different options and points around the stadium. Seems impossible because it would probably require a million capture devices for each individual person but it would be fucking cool. :lol

ElNono
06-20-2015, 12:33 AM
it's legit, imo

NASpurs
06-20-2015, 12:43 AM
it's legit, imo

Which one do you think is going to make more of an impact and stay here for the long run, AR or VR?

Have you tried any of the headsets? Did you like any one in particular?

apalisoc_9
06-20-2015, 12:55 AM
Project Morpheus is going to be a bust, IMO.

ElNono
06-20-2015, 12:56 AM
AR is more of a gimmick, IMO. I have not tried the VR headsets, but I do know there's some brilliant minds working on them (John Carmack, Michael Abrash), and especially working on overcoming the difficulties of making VR work. Pretty much anyone that has tried them, swears by them, so I gotta believe there's something exceptional there. Plus there's all sorts of ideas that would fit like a glove on the VR interface. Can you imagine something akin to Google Street View running on a headset? Take a stroll through Venice in the morning, visit Paris in the afternoon, etc? I think there's a lot of potential there.

Strange Love
06-20-2015, 01:05 AM
That's probably something I'll try out with friends but not something I will buy for myself.

baseline bum
06-20-2015, 08:30 AM
AR is more of a gimmick, IMO. I have not tried the VR headsets, but I do know there's some brilliant minds working on them (John Carmack, Michael Abrash), and especially working on overcoming the difficulties of making VR work. Pretty much anyone that has tried them, swears by them, so I gotta believe there's something exceptional there. Plus there's all sorts of ideas that would fit like a glove on the VR interface. Can you imagine something akin to Google Street View running on a headset? Take a stroll through Venice in the morning, visit Paris in the afternoon, etc? I think there's a lot of potential there.

Stroll through Amsterdam?

DJR210
06-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Oculus is the best, they've been researching it the longest and are nearly ready to go. Not saying the others won't catch up, but at this point you have to go Oculus. In the long run, I'm gonna go with the headset that has the largest viewable "screen" size, resolution, and quickest response time.

If done right by the devs, I think VR is going to be the next major thing in gaming, no fad. It all depends on the quality of the games, and whether or not this gets marketed properly toward the casuals and peasants as currently Oculus is PC only. If it doesn't sell it's gonna die off quick no matter how cool it is.

I'm personally picturing something like Condemned, or Outlast, or the new Doom in VR.. with a good set of headphones.

Stroll through Amsterdam?

:tu

Red Light District while smoking a joint irl

baseline bum
06-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Oculus is the best, they've been researching it the longest and are nearly ready to go. Not saying the others won't catch up, but at this point you have to go Oculus. In the long run, I'm gonna go with the headset that has the largest viewable "screen" size, resolution, and quickest response time.

If done right by the devs, I think VR is going to be the next major thing in gaming, no fad. It all depends on the quality of the games, and whether or not this gets marketed properly toward the casuals and peasants as currently Oculus is PC only. If it doesn't sell it's gonna die off quick no matter how cool it is.

I'm personally picturing something like Condemned, or Outlast, or the new Doom in VR.. with a good set of headphones.

:tu

Red Light District while smoking a joint irl

Could you imagine Dying Light in Occulus with all the jumping from balcony to balcony? Racing games would be killer on it too.

DJR210
06-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Could you imagine Dying Light in Occulus with all the jumping from balcony to balcony? Racing games would be killer on it too.

Hell yeah, Dying Light would be awesome with proper integration.. looking down Jade's shirt and seeing those titties in all their augmented glory..

AlexJones
06-21-2015, 07:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIl2-5f8NTo

/v/ has been spamming this waifu shit as of late... but my gawdddddddd

DMC
06-22-2015, 12:40 AM
The cost has to come down significantly to make it work. Devs aren't going to build it in their games if no one owns it.

DJR210
06-22-2015, 08:25 AM
The cost has to come down significantly to make it work. Devs aren't going to build it in their games if no one owns it.

How much lower can Oculus go than the target of 400.00? That's a lot for a console peasant IMO, but PC Gamer's are simply a cut above their peasantry.

The Reckoning
06-22-2015, 01:42 PM
tried on an oculus rift that this dude was operating with his galaxy cell phone. i can't even imagine the kind of training tutorials you can implement in those things. like how to repair engines and whatnot using a hands-on training regimen.

NASpurs
06-22-2015, 04:11 PM
How much lower can Oculus go than the target of 400.00? That's a lot for a console peasant IMO, but PC Gamer's are simply a cut above their peasantry.

Yeah Minesweeper and Solitaire are going to be glorious in VR :lol

Lol Peon Cucks

DJR210
06-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah Minesweeper and Solitaire are going to be glorious in VR :lol

Lol Peon Cucks

:lol Damn, two years later and you're still the most insecure about your console status.. accept it and get over it peasant

NASpurs
06-22-2015, 05:18 PM
:lol Damn, two years later and you're still the most insecure about your console status.. accept it and get over it peasant

Bro aren't you 30 with kids? You're a little too old for this shit :lol

NASpurs
06-22-2015, 05:20 PM
And then posting his trolling efforts on GameFucks

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/67339836

:lol man child

DMC
06-22-2015, 05:38 PM
lol my generation invented this shit. It's like saying Tony Hawk is too old for skateboarding.

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Shit, I didn't realize this would be that cheap. I figured Occulus would be something crazy expensive that wouldn't be worth it for early adopters, but at $200-$400 if you already have a reasonable gaming PC sounds pretty awesome.

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 07:16 PM

LOL what? 25-49 is the target market for most game related shit.

NASpurs
06-22-2015, 07:18 PM
LOL what? 25-49 is the target market for most game related shit.

Who the hell is talking about gaming? That nigga knows what I'm talking about.

Read what I'm responding to in that post.

DJR210
06-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Never too old for gaming or trolling, IMHO.

DJR210
06-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Shit, I didn't realize this would be that cheap. I figured Occulus would be something crazy expensive that wouldn't be worth it for early adopters, but at $200-$400 if you already have a reasonable gaming PC sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah, they are claiming a 1500.00 total cost between the Oculus and a PC to power it. I agree, 400.00 seems cheap for the tech, but then again Facebook has the money and may be thinking long term profits like Sony did with the PS4. But unless they are going to pay developers to make games for them, I don't understand how they are gonna make money.

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Yeah, they are claiming a 1500.00 total cost between the Oculus and a PC to power it. I agree, 400.00 seems cheap for the tech, but then again Facebook has the money and may be thinking long term profits like Sony did with the PS4. But unless they are going to pay developers to make games for them, I don't understand how they are gonna make money.

Sony still sold them at almost cost at launch, way different from the PS3 and X360 launches. I remember when the 360 came out that hardware for $450 was unreal, I mean a fucking three core CPU back before Intel had even launched Conroe and Kentsfield? I remember it murdered my $2000 overclocked Athlon XP system I built in 01 (don't laugh, AMD CPUs shit all over Intel from about 2000 until 2006 when Conroe finally took the performance crown back after NetBurst was such garbage).

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Damn I wonder if I should get a second 970 for Occulus though. Most games I can run 75 fps on very high at 1080p, but I probably can't lock to it. I imagine they made GTA V first person strictly for this. What resolution is this supposed to run games at?

DJR210
06-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Damn I wonder if I should get a second 970 for Occulus though. Most games I can run 75 fps on very high at 1080p, but I probably can't lock to it. I imagine they made GTA V first person strictly for this. What resolution is this supposed to run games at?

Iirc, it's one LCD screen for each eye at a res of 1080p.

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Iirc, it's one LCD screen for each eye at a res of 1080p.

I just saw on gamespot it's supposed to be 2160x1200 split over two screens, running at 90 fps. I can probably do that at high or medium with most games on one 970, but I'd have to buy a second to do that at ultra.

DJR210
06-22-2015, 10:54 PM
I just saw on gamespot it's supposed to be 2160x1200 split over two screens, running at 90 fps. I can probably do that at high or medium with most games on one 970, but I'd have to buy a second to do that at ultra.

Yeah, you're probably going to want to upgrade to SLI or a better card.. I read it will take roughly three times the raw power to render at 1080p, but didn't mention the FPS for that.

baseline bum
06-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Yeah, you're probably going to want to upgrade to SLI or a better card.. I read it will take roughly three times the raw power to render at 1080p, but didn't mention the FPS for that.

That doesn't seem right. 2160x1200 is only 25% higher resolution than 1920x1080 and it would render at 90 fps instead of 60. So it would be 1.25 * 1.5 = 1.88 times more pixels per second rendered.

DJR210
06-23-2015, 01:29 AM
That doesn't seem right. 2160x1200 is only 25% higher resolution than 1920x1080 and it would render at 90 fps instead of 60. So it would be 1.25 * 1.5 = 1.88 times more pixels per second rendered.

:lol read the 2160 backwards