PDA

View Full Version : Sign and trade for LMA, Is TP for Knicks 1st round possible?o rea

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-20-2015, 10:13 AM
How does this trade sound for Portland/SA?

Spurs get:
Lamarcus Aldridge

Blazers get:
Tiago Splitter, Patty Mills or Boris Diaw, future 1st round draft pick

Why Spurs do it: Spurs want Aldridge, and although the players in the trade are key components of the finals run, realistically once Duncan retires, these players will either be beyond their peak, or just probably won't have the same impact. To try and keep Danny Green, they would have to look at getting rid of Splitter's contract, and have to probably shift out Diaw, or Mills. The draft pick would also probably be necessary in order to sweeten the deal. It's not as if we are drafting a fringe star.. Aldridge is proven.

Why Blazers do it: If they aren't going to be able to resign Aldridge, might as well get the most assets. A few years ago they were very high on Splitter, offering him a 4 year, 36 mill deal. With Lopez an UFA, and them still looking for a legit starter, it's easy to see how Splitter could be packaged in the deal. They also need role players, and after Affalo, Mills and Diaw could fit in nicely.

Knicks-Spurs trade?

Spurs get: 1st round (4th overall), Jose Calderon

Knicks get: Tony Parker, 2017 2nd round pick

This trade makes no sense considering we are going for one more title run (probably), but for the sake of argument I put it in this discussion.

Why Knicks do it: Phil Jackson has made it clear that they are not rebuilding, and will look into free agency or trading their pick for good components. This is understandable considering they still have Carmelo Anthony in the helms. Problem is, outside of their nice cap space, they have no real trade assets or players with trade value. Jose has a bigger contract, so it would be a good swap for them to make.

Parker has been playing not well lately, but as we've seen with stars in the game before, it is defintely not out of the realm of possibility that injuries have effected his play, and he could very well turn his game around and play well again scoring 16-17 a game.

I know it's all hypothetical, but there's reason the Spurs would make this trade. The draft is risky, TP is established, and needed for a title run next year in all honesty. I feel like Joseph as a starter would be a disaster waiting to happen. The only real positive is shedding salary cap for another good player. Problem is the Spurs don't sign those kind of players, so it's a mute point.

itsamanuthree
06-20-2015, 10:57 AM
Parker for Calderon, deal!

Chinook
06-20-2015, 11:12 AM
I'd love the value of the second deal. But the first deal makes no sense ESPECIALLY in light of the second one. If you're going to be able to clear cap by moving Tony, you simply don't need to trade anyone else for Aldridge. At the very least, the Spurs can combine the two and use Parker's salary as ballast to stay over the cap.

06-20-2015, 11:49 AM
The Blazers would never go for that S&T scenario.. Splitter has proven that he can't stay healthy for long stretches and Boris will not be LA's long-term replacement.

Besides, they're probably interested in keeping Robin Lopez and want reasons to keep Damian Lillard around.

There would likely be better S&T offers from other teams if they know for sure that LA wants to bolt.

Parker isn't going anywhere.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2015, 01:32 PM
I'd love the value of the second deal. But the first deal makes no sense ESPECIALLY in light of the second one. If you're going to be able to clear cap by moving Tony, you simply don't need to trade anyone else for Aldridge. At the very least, the Spurs can combine the two and use Parker's salary as ballast to stay over the cap.

Who would you take at 4?

DPG21920
06-20-2015, 01:40 PM
You would have to take a guard, no? Either that or that Euro big man.

Richie
06-20-2015, 01:40 PM
There's no way we will trade Tony, and if we did we'd be selling very low after his poor season dealing with injuries.

He'll be better next year, guaranteed.

Ditty
06-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Parker isn't going to be traded this summer, but the Spurs are really emphasizing that he need to be much "better" this season if he wants to remain on the team after this season imo.

DPG21920
06-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Well duh. I think most know there is virtually no chance he's moved. Just discussing hypothetical. TP will ball next year.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2015, 01:44 PM
Parker isn't going to be traded this summer, but the Spurs are really emphasizing that he need to be much "better" this season if he wants to remain on the team after this season imo.

If he has another Poor season who takes that shitty contract? It won't be expiring anytime soon

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2015, 01:47 PM
You would have to take a guard, no? Either that or that Euro big man.

I'd take Mudiay, Cauley-Stein or Hezonja

Ditty
06-20-2015, 01:56 PM
If he has another Poor season who takes that shitty contract? It won't be expiring anytime soon

A two year contract is a lot easier to trade than a three year contract.

The Warriors acquired RJ and he was much worse, but we did have to give up a first round pick and take back Jackson's expiring contract.

Some team would be desperate enough to acquire a "star" player and put butts in the seat when a four time hopefully five time NBA champion is on your team.

Chinook
06-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Who would you take at 4?

Depends on who's there. Could Russell actually drop? Maybe. Him or Mudiay, I'd imagine.

Seventyniner
06-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Is it possible for the Blazers and Spurs (and Aldridge) to talk about sign-and-trade possibilities before the draft, i.e. before July 1? Would this qualify as tampering if all three parties agree to meet and only meet if all are present?

Chinook
06-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Is it possible for the Blazers and Spurs (and Aldridge) to talk about sign-and-trade possibilities before the draft, i.e. before July 1? Would this qualify as tampering if all three parties agree to meet and only meet if all are present?

I'm pretty sure Aldridge being present would make it tampering. But I don't know if the Spurs gauging Portland's interest in their assets would be against the rules.

Richie
06-20-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Aldridge being present would make it tampering. But I don't know if the Spurs gauging Portland's interest in their assets would be against the rules.

I've always wondered how this works with agents. Is it tampering to speak to an agent specifically to gauge a players interest?

Seventyniner
06-20-2015, 04:33 PM

I'm pretty certain that the Spurs can talk to the Blazers. I was just wondering if it would still be tampering if the Blazers gave permission to talk to Aldridge.

CGD
06-20-2015, 04:47 PM
if TD is coming back forget moving TP, but if TD/Manu retired TP for D'Angelo and Calderon would be a tremendous get.

KaiRMD1
06-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Parker for .......
I'm for it

Das Texan
06-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Teams on the back end of sign and trades rarely get real value.

Why exactly do we seem to think real value other than salary spots would be sent over to Portland?

tholdren
06-20-2015, 07:31 PM
no to either

Spurs9
06-20-2015, 09:24 PM
They aren't going to trade Parker. Get over the anti parked circlejerk.

cd021
06-20-2015, 09:47 PM
There's no way we will trade Tony, and if we did we'd be selling very low after his poor season dealing with injuries.

He'll be better next year, guaranteed.

Its not so much whether he'd be better or not ,but will he ever perform up to his contract imo. After a full summer off, he had his second worst regular season and a horrid PS. He went from 20ppg and 7apg in '13 to 11 ppg and 5 assists in the '15 PS. He was one of the worst defensive players in the league last season, saw his shots at the back drop significantly and his 3pt shot abandon him late in the season. Not sure it will get much better.

They'd certainly never trade him if Duncan and Ginobili return but it would be interesting if Duncan were to retire and the Knicks offered Calderon straight up. The Spurs would save a boat load of cash and in the '17 trade deadline would be a big expiring contract.

Richie
06-20-2015, 10:10 PM
Its not so much whether he'd be better or not ,but will he ever perform up to his contract imo. After a full summer off, he had his second worst regular season and a horrid PS. He went from 20ppg and 7apg in '13 to 11 ppg and 5 assists in the '15 PS. He was one of the worst defensive players in the league last season, saw his shots at the back drop significantly and his 3pt shot abandon him late in the season. Not sure it will get much better.

They'd certainly never trade him if Duncan and Ginobili return but it would be interesting if Duncan were to retire and the Knicks offered Calderon straight up. The Spurs would save a boat load of cash and in the '17 trade deadline would be a big expiring contract.

He was injured plain and simple. The only way he doesn't get better is if he is never fully healthy again, which isn't impossible but it's by no means a foregone conclusion.

As for his contract, people are making way too much about that IMO. In '16 he'll be earning 16% of the cap and the year after 14.5%, which is the equivalent of earning $10.7 and $9.7m this year. In terms of cap hit he's making more next year and taking a pay cut the next 2 years.

Sean Cagney
06-20-2015, 10:54 PM
They aren't going to trade Parker. Get over the anti parked circlejerk.

I don't know why people keep saying that like it will ever happen, keep waiting..... They would not get value for him for one and his contract at that age for two...... Loyalty comes into play here too, Spurs won't trade one of their big three and all will retire Spurs.

TheGoldStandard
06-20-2015, 10:55 PM
He was injured plain and simple. The only way he doesn't get better is if he is never fully healthy again, which isn't impossible but it's by no means a foregone conclusion.

As for his contract, people are making way too much about that IMO. In '16 he'll be earning 16% of the cap and the year after 14.5%, which is the equivalent of earning $10.7 and $9.7m this year. In terms of cap hit he's making more next year and taking a pay cut the next 2 years.

His injuries have pretty much mirrored his last 2 seasons, either Achilles or hamstring and his game hasn't changed much aside from his now attempt to shoot the long ball. I blame the coaching as well because they continue to run the same plays though.

His contract doesn't look bad per say when it comes to the jump in cap space but it sucks in that it's dead money if he sucks for turnkey couple of seasons. Trading him if he falls off completely means taking back a bad contract.

cd021
06-20-2015, 11:17 PM

I'm not convinced all of his bad play can be explained away by injury. He has very high mileage for a 33 year old. Essentially 15 seasons at 33 mpg (1203 total games) not including international competition. He isn't as bad as he was but I don't believe he will be back to his 13-14 16.7 ppg and 5.7 apg numbers.

I think he's close the the 14.5ppg and 5apg he posted this season. He can't get to the FT line which a usually a sign of a players decline physically . He dropped from 3.6 in nearly 30mpg (bad) to 2.4 in almost 29 mpg (awful) He doesn't take nearly as many 3's to offset his decline there and took only a 1/4 of his shots at the rim, way down form 35.5 % for his career and 33% from last season.

I'm well aware how his contract looks based on the rising cap, it affect affects the Spurs flexibility now, though. They'd have to move Splitter/Diaw or let Green walk to get north of $20 million in cap space. This is the off season to grab a big name FA not next season when quite a few teams will be able to have max cap space.

cd021
06-20-2015, 11:41 PM
His injuries have pretty much mirrored his last 2 seasons, either Achilles or hamstring and his game hasn't changed much aside from his now attempt to shoot the long ball. I blame the coaching as well because they continue to run the same plays though.

His contract doesn't look bad per say when it comes to the jump in cap space but it sucks in that it's dead money if he sucks for turnkey couple of seasons. Trading him if he falls off completely means taking back a bad contract.

They did in stretches. He played off ball at times while Kawhi was getting looks on offense. Parkers game is high P&R and killing bigs in space. They can have him play off ball more and run him off those diagonal ball handoff screens they run for KL at the FT with Duncan, allowing him to turn the corner much closer to the basket with momentum.

His 3pt shot can be snuffed out fairly easily. He doesn't have a very quick release and sometimes even checks his footing as he takes them, giving defenders more time to recover. He went 0-9 in the PS despite shooting a career high of 42% in the RS.

His decline is a big reason why our starting lineup has been less and less effective every season. Its basically a defensive lineup, it still outscores opponents but not nearly as much as it used to, because of the lack of spacing and Parker failing to get to the basket. Spurs would be better suited having a "stretch big (whether Aldridge or even Bass) to keep teams from clogging the paint.

ducks
07-05-2015, 07:15 PM
no sign and trade needed to get lma

tholdren
07-05-2015, 07:17 PM
and that was entirely too much for LMA.

NASpurs
07-05-2015, 07:17 PM

http://i.giphy.com/pXPOApWXuJaMw.gif

Spurs9