PDA

View Full Version : Your Tax Money at Work: US Navy's warfare systems just paid millions to stay on XP

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 09:22 AM
The U.S. Navy is paying Microsoft millions of dollars to keep up to 100,000 computers afloat because it has yet to transition away from Windows XP.

The Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, which runs the Navy’s communications and information networks, signed a US$9.1 million contract earlier this month for continued access to security patches for Windows XP, Office 2003, Exchange 2003 and Windows Server 2003.

The first three of those products have been deemed obsolete by Microsoft, and Windows Server 2003 will reach its end of life on July 14. As a result, Microsoft has stopped issuing free security updates but will continue to do so on a paid basis for customers like the Navy that are still using those products.

The Navy began a transition away from XP in 2013, but as of May this year it still had approximately 100,000 workstations running XP or the other software.

“A plan for migrating to current and supported capabilities has been developed and is being executed,”

:lol better late than never!

The Navy isn’t alone in still relying on Windows XP. Approximately 10 percent of desktop PCs accessing websites using the StatCounter traffic reporting service during the current month were running Windows XP, giving it a market share just above that of Apple’s OS X. Data from Net Applications puts XP’s current share at just over 14 percent.

http://www.itworld.com/article/2939255/windows/the-us-navys-warfare-systems-command-just-paid-millions-to-stay-on-windows-xp.html?nsdr=true#tk.ITWNLE_nlt_today_2015-06-23

$700B/year and still running XP! :lol

DMX7
06-23-2015, 09:28 AM
laugh it up fuzzball

CavsSuperFan
06-23-2015, 09:30 AM
They did not want a Y2K fiasco...Airplanes falling out of the sky and all that...

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 09:32 AM
laugh it up fuzzball

:lol typical non-response from rightwingnuts :lol

ChumpDumper
06-23-2015, 09:39 AM
That's not too bad, all things considered. How much will updating all those systems cost, boo?

DMX7
06-23-2015, 09:45 AM
:lol typical non-response from rightwingnuts :lol

Windows XP is a reliable no frills operating system. People still use it for servers and such. They probably never really saw the need for an upgrade... though by now they should be preparing for one.

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 10:50 AM
That's not too bad, all things considered. How much will updating all those systems cost, boo?

A couple $B out of $700B? Better upgrading from XP than blowing $Ts on the abortive F-35, and all the other shit the MIC dupes DoD into buying.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2015, 10:51 AM
A couple $B out of $700B? Better upgrading from XP than blowing $Ts on the abortive F-35, and all the other shit the MIC dupes DoD into buying.So are you saying this is a good thing or a bad thing?

DMX7
06-23-2015, 10:53 AM
The F-35 was an epic waste of money, no doubt.

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Windows XP is a reliable no frills operating system. People still use it for servers and such. They probably never really saw the need for an upgrade... though by now they should be preparing for one.

"by now"?

MS has been pushing XP-upgrading for many years, advertizing EOL non-stop. Given how rape-able US gov systems are, staying with XP and its vulnerabilities is pretty stupid. Since when does DoD run out of money? :lol

Upgrading XP to Win7 would also require buying all new workstation 64-bit hardware, LED screens.

Since when does DoD run out of money? :lol

DMX7
06-23-2015, 10:57 AM
"by now"?

MS has been pushing XP-upgrading for many years, advertizing EOL non-stop. Given how rape-able US gov systems are, staying with XP and its vulnerabilities is pretty stupid. Since when does DoD run out of money? :lol

Upgrading XP to Win7 would also require buying all new workstation 64-bit hardware, LED screens.

It's spending its money on stuff we don't need. We all know that. I don't think they would need to buy new LED-LCD screens.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
It's spending its money on stuff we don't need. We all know that. I don't think they would need to buy new LED-LCD screens.If they are currently using CRTs, they should look into it.

DMX7
06-23-2015, 10:59 AM
B_dx has to use the :lol emoticon after every sentence to self-validate what he's saying. Gives it just that extra hint of credibility. :lol

DMX7
06-23-2015, 11:00 AM
If they are currently using CRTs, they should look into it.

I said "need". I have no clue what they're using. They technically don't have to upgrade but clearly the energy savings alone would likely justify it.

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:01 AM
The U.S. Navy is paying Microsoft millions of dollars to keep up to 100,000 computers afloat because it has yet to transition away from Windows XP.

What do you think about all of the money wasted on Obama and his family's trips?

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:02 AM
B_dx has to use the :lol emoticon after every sentence to self-validate what he's saying. Gives it just that extra hint of credibility. :lol

emoticons, in your rightwingnut brain, confer credibility? :lol

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:03 AM
What do you think about all of the money wasted on Obama and his family's trips?

you were ok with dubya and St Ronnie vacaioning for many weeks per year on their vacation properties?

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:04 AM
you were ok with dubya and St Ronnie vacaioning for many weeks per year on their vacation properties?

not what I asked. but no, I'm not OK with it when it's taken advantage of. You OK with Obama doing it?

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:08 AM
not what I asked. but no, I'm not OK with it when it's taken advantage of. You OK with Obama doing it?

yeah sure I'm OK.

How many days in his presidency has Obama spent on vacation compared with dubya and St Ronnie?

As dubya whined: "It's a hard job" emoticon alert: :lol

DMX7
06-23-2015, 11:10 AM
emoticons, in your rightwingnut brain, confer credibility? :lol

I'm not a rightwinger, lol. :lol

And ROFL at your desperate use of emoticons... :lol

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:16 AM
yeah sure I'm OK.

How many days in his presidency has Obama spent on vacation compared with dubya and St Ronnie?

As dubya whined: "It's a hard job" emoticon alert: :lol

LOL. typical libtard. blame everyone else but your president who can do no wrong.

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:22 AM
LOL. typical libtard. blame everyone else but your president who can do no wrong.

Obama has made huge mistakes, like pushing TTP, like letting Baucus and health insurers write ACA, but taking too many days on (expensive) vacation is you rightwingnut anklebiters refusing to compare his vacation days with dubya's or St Ronnie's, and also ignoring how FEW DAYS Boner's House is actually in session.

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:28 AM
Obama has made huge mistakes, like pushing TTP, like letting Baucus and health insurers write ACA, but taking too many days on (expensive) vacation is you rightwingnut anklebiters refusing to compare his vacation days with dubya's or St Ronnie's, and also ignoring how FEW DAYS Boner's House is actually in session.

I'm not rightwing. That's your ilk's problem. Anyone disagreeing with you or questioning the prez is a rightwing nut. You started a post about government waste. I asked you a pretty simple question. You freak out and try to justify it by comparing it with other waste.

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm not rightwing. That's your ilk's problem. Anyone disagreeing with you or questioning the prez is a rightwing nut. You started a post about government waste. I asked you a pretty simple question. You freak out and try to justify it by comparing it with other waste.

:lol

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:36 AM
here, you dickless little bitch, be slapped

Compared to past presidents, Obama takes few vacations

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/12/23/a9cd16a6-cb66-4680-8864-a62ea7355682/thumbnail/620x350/f7d34d700cd63e501d72e815734bcc65/presvacationssocial.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/compared-to-past-presidents-obama-takes-few-vacations/

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:40 AM
here, you dickless little bitch, be slapped

Compared to past presidents, Obama takes few vacations

http://cbsnews2.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/2014/12/23/a9cd16a6-cb66-4680-8864-a62ea7355682/thumbnail/620x350/f7d34d700cd63e501d72e815734bcc65/presvacationssocial.jpg

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/compared-to-past-presidents-obama-takes-few-vacations/

so by your reasoning, Dylan Roof is OK but not the 9/11 terrorists.

DMX7
06-23-2015, 11:42 AM
B_DX makes plenty of good points from time to time. Right now though, he is coming unhinged. :lol

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 11:43 AM
so by your reasoning, Dylan Roof is OK but not the 9/11 terrorists.

:lol

and I'M "unhinged"?

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 11:55 AM
B_DX makes plenty of good points from time to time. Right now though, he is coming unhinged. :lol

I think when it's all over, it will come out that he was part of the VRWC all along. Just a plant to make the left look stupid and unreasonable.

101A
06-23-2015, 12:22 PM
I've still got an active NetWare 4.11 box, 2 Server 2003's, a 2000 Terminal Server Edition, along with the more modern stuff. Some legacy programs run best on Legacy OS's; also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and save $$$. That said, I'm tired of maintaining my own stuff, been moving slowly but surely to hosted solutions....

That said, my boy begins a tour on the Eisenhower next month; dealing with 100+ degree heat in engineering because the Nimitz class has steam pipes running throughout, but no A/C - obsolescence is a tradition.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 01:00 PM
$9.1 million? That's fucking pennies under the couch, way worse stuff to worry about in the DOD.

boutons_deux
06-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Just a plant to make the left look stupid and unreasonable.

emoji alert: :lol

Most of the stuff I post is simply documenting the stupidity, venality, ignorance, insanity, sociopathy of you Repugs and the assholes you elect. Get down on your knees and take it all like a little bitch.

cantthinkofanything
06-23-2015, 01:15 PM
emoji alert: :lol

Most of the stuff I post is simply documenting the stupidity, venality, ignorance, insanity, sociopathy of you Repugs and the assholes you elect. Get down on your knees and take it all like a little bitch.

Oh...is that what "most" of the stuff you post is? LOL. You must have been shut out of getting an Obama phone or something.