PDA

View Full Version : Ten Years Ago Today

Typical London Boy
06-23-2015, 01:49 PM
Realised a short while ago that it's exactly ten years today since Game 7 against the Pistons, back on June 23, 2005. Hard to believe it's already been an entire decade, but thought it was worth mentioning as it's right up there as one of my all-time favorite Spurs moments.

I'll probably watch the final quarter a little later on, pretty cool that it was included on the DVD that year.

:lobt2:

:toast

Budkin
06-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Realised a short while ago that it's exactly ten years today since Game 7 against the Pistons, back on June 23, 2005. Hard to believe it's already been an entire decade, but thought it was worth mentioning as it's right up there as one of my all-time favorite Spurs moments.

I'll probably watch the final quarter a little later on, pretty cool that it was included on the DVD that year.

Never been more nervous before and during a game, ever. I was a got damn wreck until the buzzer sounded.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Damn man my B Day as well or the day before it, that was the gift I wanted in that game 7. I remember where I was and what I was doing that whole day pretty much up until the game, then remember getting bent during the game and at halftime running to the store to get some more 24 OZ beers. That was a great day.

Yeah man it was cool they did include that on the DVD but a big step down from the year before where all the closing Q's were on the DVD. I am not sure why they went away from that completely and the last two DVD's had none and were complete crap because of that IMO.

Silver&Black
06-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Never been more nervous before and during a game, ever. I was a got damn wreck until the buzzer sounded.

Me too...I was a nervous wreck.

I was in a safehouse in the middle of bumfuck, Afghanistan. I remember screaming all game and waking up everybody. The game was on at like 4:00am over there....

DMX7
06-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Same here.

Dex
06-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Same here.

Yeah, the Miami Game 7 was tough, but frankly, I think Game 6 had already broken my spirit at that point. I didn't expect much unfortunately, which almost made the narrow loss even harder to swallow.

That Detroit Game 7 though...my stomach was in knots all day long.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Yeah, the Miami Game 7 was tough, but frankly, I think Game 6 had already broken my spirit at that point. I didn't expect much unfortunately, which almost made the narrow loss even harder to swallow.

That Detroit Game 7 though...my stomach was in knots all day long.
To be honest with you I knew Miami in game 7 was going to win and I didn't give a shit about that game after they blew that game 6. I knew when game 6 was over with that the title was lost and Game 7 really didn't excite me at all, plus they were on the road to boot. I agree I didn't expect much, infact I expected a loss.

The Detroit game 7 I was in knots and excited and nervous as hell, completely different demon as you said.

Uriel
06-23-2015, 08:53 PM
I didn't start following the Spurs until the 06-07 season, so I don't have any memories of this. But my God, I probably would've died of sheer nervousness too in an NBA Finals Game 7. :lol

manufan10
06-23-2015, 09:18 PM
I remember in ESPN the Magazine and Sports Illustrated, Adidas had an awesome picture with Tim Duncan and a meter that said "Critics," with the hand on zero... wish I could find it again. I loved that picture.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2015, 09:50 PM
I remember in ESPN the Magazine and Sports Illustrated, Adidas had an awesome picture with Tim Duncan and a meter that said "Critics," with the hand on zero... wish I could find it again. I loved that picture.
I have a magazine with that on the back of it upstairs, no doubt that is a classic pic. Decibel meter is on Zero on the back.... I forget what Magazine it was on the back of but I will find it upstairs and let you know so you can try to find it on Ebay or somewhere else.

I would love to have that pic in a frame somewhere on the wall, that is one of my fave pics of him. They were tearing him a new one after a few games in those finals with the missed FT's and calling him Timid Tim and so on because of a few GOD AWFUL games and it appeared he was choking, then came the second half of game 7 where he put the team on his back and sparked that 3rd Q run and got others some wide open looks as well from three land (He was the catalyst to that run in the 3rd believe that). Needless to say he shut those critics up, they were all over it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/af/2d/ee/af2deeb7ba0acad868b35db7d9c5ae01.jpg

I remember the Magazine I had said three the hard way and had Horry, Tim and Manu on the front of it, forget the name though.
I didn't start following the Spurs until the 06-07 season, so I don't have any memories of this. But my God, I probably would've died of sheer nervousness too in an NBA Finals Game 7. :lol
You missed a hell of a finals and game 7 man, it was fun.

therealtruth
06-23-2015, 09:54 PM
LB got outcoached in that game. Dice was killing us and he decided to go with Wallace.

manufan10
06-23-2015, 10:14 PM
It wasn't game 7, but this series featured my favorite Manu dunk:

9c_j6Y01quA

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:12 PM

It's my profile pic if you click my username and select View Profile.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:12 PM
My favorite moment of Game 7 is in the sig.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:41 PM
LB got outcoached in that game. Dice was killing us and he decided to go with Wallace.

Duncan got their whole frontcourt in foul trouble in the third and they had to stick Prince on him for a few disastrous (well from their view :lol) possessions. McDyess was playing like crap in the fourth, age was getting to him even then when his shots were coming up short off the front of the rim. Meanwhile Rasheed was the only one hitting shots for them in the fourth. If you want to call Brown's coaching out, it should be for not playing Duncan in single coverage in the fourth. His assist to Bowen for the three and then the assist to Ginobili for the three right after were backbreakers that Detroit never recovered from, and it seemed dumb to sag off the shooters when Duncan was 10-27. Also I forgot how good Big Shot Rob was that game chasing down rebounds and then drawing that charge on Hamilton.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:46 PM

Game 5 was by far the most nervous game both before and during for me. Spurs looked like they would sweep after the first two games and then just got fucking wrecked the next two in Detroit. I figured that was going to take a monster effort to win a game like that in The Palace, and indeed, it was the toughest win in franchise history. The only other game that ever made me feel anything close to that both before and during was Game 6 in Miami.

manufan10
06-23-2015, 11:58 PM
It's my profile pic if you click my username and select View Profile.

:tu

TE
06-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Remember this shit like if it was yesterday. Best moment as a sports fan, imo. I began following the Spurs back in 99 with my pops. My Spurs fandom intensified when they were eliminated by the Lakers in the early 00's. 2003 was amazing. I watched game six of those finals in a gift shop at some campsite my family stayed at. 2005 though was the best for me personally since I followed their every single game and was legitimately pissed when they would lose regular season games. I remember watching Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption during those playoffs. Also Cold Pizza was the morning show that consisted of a segment with ole Skip and Stephen A. Smith. The Spurs and Heat were talked about so much back then as everyone thought they were on a collision course. Shit was ten fucking years ago...time flies

TE
06-24-2015, 12:17 AM
Sucks that I didn't know about Spurstalk back then but really I was a young teenager in 2005. I didn't care for being on a computer unless it was downloading music. I look at the members and threads from 2005 and a lot of shit has changed.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Question for people here: what the fuck was Scotty Pippen doing on the Spurs bench in Game 3 of the Finals that year? :lol

http://i.imgur.com/dofm8vj.jpg

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 01:09 AM
Sucks that I didn't know about Spurstalk back then but really I was a young teenager in 2005. I didn't care for being on a computer unless it was downloading music. I look at the members and threads from 2005 and a lot of shit has changed.

Just as much cliff jumping, but none of the trolling and racist shit. That all came in 06 with the Spurs-Mavs series, which changed Spurstalk from being like a laid back sports bar to fucking 4chan. :lol

kobyz
06-24-2015, 01:29 AM

Game 6 of 2013 finals was 10 times more nervous, this is why can't recover from that loss, and it will hunt forever, my soul needed that win, was ready, and since it slipped away in a heartbeat it caused very big demege...

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 02:37 AM
It wasn't game 7, but this series featured my favorite Manu dunk:

9c_j6Y01quA
Yep, that shit was sick. I remember that one, it appeared he was going to lay it up and then dunked it.
Remember this shit like if it was yesterday. Best moment as a sports fan, imo. I began following the Spurs back in 99 with my pops. My Spurs fandom intensified when they were eliminated by the Lakers in the early 00's. 2003 was amazing. I watched game six of those finals in a gift shop at some campsite my family stayed at. 2005 though was the best for me personally since I followed their every single game and was legitimately pissed when they would lose regular season games. I remember watching Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption during those playoffs. Also Cold Pizza was the morning show that consisted of a segment with ole Skip and Stephen A. Smith. The Spurs and Heat were talked about so much back then as everyone thought they were on a collision course. Shit was ten fucking years ago...time flies
Man I was the same way then during regular season games believe it or not. I would get pissed and yell and scream or yell for joy every win during those years, later on I calmed down because I had to and over time in general you learn that regular season games are not that important but to me then they were. I used to keep tally on regular season wins and losses verses teams and take that personal. Time does fly though, damn 10 years is over two high school terms when you think of it and you remember how long high school seemed? GOD that is a long time ago but it seems like it was just yesterday.

DJR210
06-24-2015, 03:20 AM
When it came to post game celebrations, probably never had a better one than that night.. downtown looked like they won the title, everybody was fucking pumped. I did plenty of blow that night tbh.

ElNono
06-24-2015, 03:42 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/bamboozool2/999_temp/duncan_slam_back_cover.jpg

fundamental9903
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
True story. I was stationed in Corpus during the 05 Finals and I was a nervous wreck in Game 5 as Robert Horry delivered one for the ages. So I come into work, bouncing off the walls proclaiming, "We're going to win the title. There's no way Detroit wins 2 in SA." My supervisor, who knew nothing about sports but loved to fuck with me about it, calmly tells me, "The Spurs will lose Game 6." "Yeah right, ok" I say.

Game 6. Detroit seemed like they couldn't miss especially in the 4th quarter. So I come into work, head down and all quiet. Supervisor is laughing and fucking with me all day, telling me "I told you so!" The next day, Game 7. At work and I tell my supervisor, "Ok smarty pants, whats going to happen tonight? He waits till the end of the day to tell me his prediction.

"Spurs win Game 7 by 7." His exact words.

Spurs win 81-74.

I told him, "Go buy a lottery ticket or something and I'm taking leave to go see the parade".

Thomas3
06-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Ten years ago Today I was too late at work