PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Steve Nash: Mavericks Would Have Won Multiple Championships If I Stayed

spursparker9
06-23-2015, 11:18 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/23/steve-nash-dallas-mavericks_n_7648586.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Kool Bob Love
06-23-2015, 11:23 PM
In my eyes, he'll always be rememeber as a laker.

Ditty
06-23-2015, 11:28 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BBUpiM_CUAAfS_f.jpg

z0sa
06-23-2015, 11:28 PM

Did he even play a game in purple and gold? I honestly don't remember.

Thread
06-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Every time he'd get close to the end, he'd quit. That's why The Cubes just let him drift away.

Thread
06-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Did he even play a game in purple and gold? I honestly don't remember.

Well, the big shot swore up & down that after Kobe went down he'd take the gang with him and show everybody how it was done. You beat us flat. No more big shot.

Venti Quattro
06-23-2015, 11:40 PM
They wouldn't because he wouldn't solve their problem which was defending

RD2191
06-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Did Nash deserve back to back MVPs? His numbers weren't all that impressive and his defense was always bad. (From what I've read anyways)

Thread
06-23-2015, 11:45 PM
^When you guys start talking "MVP" I go to couch.

Nighty-nite.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:51 PM
Nash was way too shitty defensively, I know Parker gets a lot of shit from revisionist history Spurs fan, but Parker was fucking great in the matchup vs Nash except in 2010 when Pop let that Canadian faggot get hot vs George Hill's horrible pick and roll defense to start every game.

baseline bum
06-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Did Nash deserve back to back MVPs? His numbers weren't all that impressive and his defense was always bad. (From what I've read anyways)

Shaq deserved the 05 MVP
Snitch the 06 MVP

RD2191
06-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Shaq deserved the 05 MVP
Snitch the 06 MVP
Didn't watch bball back then but I'll take your word for it.

RsxPiimp
06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Shaq deserved the 05 MVP
Snitch the 06 MVP
:wow

AlexJones
06-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Definitely 06 and maybe even 07 IMO..

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:02 AM
Didn't watch bball back then but I'll take your word for it.

Shaq had the Heat the #1 seed in the East and they would have made the Finals if not for injuries in the ECF. I would have hated seeing the 05 Heat in the Finals with Duncan's ankles so fucked after Game 6 in Seattle.

I don't give a shit if the Lakers were the 7 seed, Kobe went nuts in 06. I watched him drop 56 on Memphis, 62 in three quarters vs Dallas (I think Dallas had 61 after three :lol), and 81 on Toronto. Kobe's regular season and Wade's ECF and Finals are the things everyone remembers about 06.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:02 AM
:wow

I'm actually a big Kobe fan, have been since 2000. I'm just not a Kobe fan fan, and they're easy to troll. :lol

RsxPiimp
06-24-2015, 12:04 AM
I'm actually a big Kobe fan, have been since 2000. I'm just not a Kobe fan fan, and they're easy to troll. :lol

:wow Im saving this page bum, and you know it. :lol

Fwiw, not a big fan of Kobe. I honestly prefer and appreciate Gasol more during those B2B runs.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:05 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say I'm a big Kobe fan, but I have always loved watching him play even if I fucking hate the Lakers forever.

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Shaq had the Heat the #1 seed in the East and they would have made the Finals if not for injuries in the ECF. I would have hated seeing the 05 Heat in the Finals with Duncan's ankles so fucked after Game 6 in Seattle.

I don't give a shit if the Lakers were the 7 seed, Kobe went nuts in 06. I watched him drop 56 on Memphis, 62 in three quarters vs Dallas (I think Dallas had 61 after three :lol), and 81 on Toronto. Kobe's regular season and Wade's ECF and Finals are the things everyone remembers about 06.
Yeah Miami might have made the finals if not for injuries but I still think the Spurs beat them. I think the Spurs would have beaten Miami in 06 had they made it as well, they would not have blown that 2-0 lead (Plus being up 13 late in game 3) and put that team away. That Heat team was good no doubt but hardly great, they could be beaten but Dallas let them off the hook a year later. Detroit was tough enough in those 05 finals man, that match up was just pretty bad for the Spurs because their front line was huge.

Kool Bob Love
06-24-2015, 12:08 AM
Maybe I shouldn't say I'm a big Kobe fan, but I have always loved watching him play even if I fucking hate the Lakers forever.

You fucking asshole.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:09 AM
:wow Im saving this page bum, and you know it. :lol

Fwiw, not a big fan of Kobe. I honestly prefer and appreciate Gasol more during those B2B runs.

You can't be a basketball fan and not enjoy watching players like Bryant, James, Wade, at least in their primes (obviously Bryant and Wade are painful to watch now though after injuries have decimated their careers). I even loved watching Stockton and Malone even though I wouldn't hesitate to push them off a cliff. The only real star I never enjoyed watching much was Derrick Rose.

m>s
06-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Lol did you not watch basketball in 2006 or something?

Silver&Black
06-24-2015, 12:11 AM
Shaq deserved the 05 MVP
Snitch the 06 MVP

Agreed. Snitch definitely should have won in during the 05-06 year.

The Shaq one is tough to call though. Shaq, Nash (who won), and Dirk all had great years...

http://i.imgur.com/9jgODBB.png

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:13 AM
Lol did you not watch basketball in 2006 or something?
I just said I didn't. I started watching bball 2008.

spurraider21
06-24-2015, 12:15 AM
is that the year your village got cable?

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:15 AM
Yeah Miami might have made the finals if not for injuries but I still think the Spurs beat them. I think the Spurs would have beaten Miami in 06 had they made it as well, they would not have blown that 2-0 lead (Plus being up 13 late in game 3) and put that team away. That Heat team was good no doubt but hardly great, they could be beaten but Dallas let them off the hook a year later. Detroit was tough enough in those 05 finals man, that match up was just pretty bad for the Spurs because their front line was huge.

The 05 Pistons weren't that good, I really think that series was close only because of Duncan's ankles. All that depth the Pistons had from their 04 team was wiped away when Okur, Corliss Williamson, and Mike James left. They went from being a pretty deep team to only being able to run a seven man rotation. Wade probably wasn't good enough yet to take the 05 title from the Spurs, but Duncan guarding O'Neal on those two fucked up ankles would have been scary as a Spurs fan.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Agreed. Snitch definitely should have won in during the 05-06 year.

The Shaq one is tough to call though. Shaq, Nash (who won), and Dirk all had great years...

http://i.imgur.com/9jgODBB.png
Timmy's numbers weren't bad either.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:16 AM
is that the year your village got cable?
Yes.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:17 AM
The 05 Pistons weren't that good, I really think that series was close only because of Duncan's ankles. All that depth the Pistons had from their 04 team was wiped away when Okur, Corliss Williamson, and Mike James left. They went from being a pretty deep team to only being able to run a seven man rotation. Wade probably wasn't good enough yet to take the 05 title from the Spurs, but Duncan guarding O'Neal on those two fucked up ankles would have been scary as a Spurs fan.
What was wrong with Tims ankles?

Silver&Black
06-24-2015, 12:18 AM

shhhhhhhhh....

We don't talk about those times rob.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:21 AM
shhhhhhhhh....

We don't talk about those times rob.
Tell me gawd dammit.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:21 AM

He sprained both of them in the playoffs. It's the reason I'll never feel sorry for Seattle losing their team, Duncan landed really badly and had a nasty sprain in Game 6 of the second round and Seattle fan was booing him as he was down on the floor. It's pretty funny, Tim was playing like shit that whole game, one of the worst games of his career, but once he got hurt and they booed him he got pissed off and destroyed them the rest of the game if I'm remembering right.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:22 AM
He sprained both of them in the playoffs. It's the reason I'll never feel sorry for Seattle losing their team, Duncan landed really badly and had a nasty sprain in Game 6 of the second round and Seattle fan was booing him as he was down on the floor. It's pretty funny, Tim was playing like shit that whole game, one of the worst games of his career, but once he got hurt and they booed him he got pissed off and destroyed them the rest of the game if I'm remembering right.
Damn, Tim is that nigga. Winning a title on 2 bad ankles is quite an accomplishment.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:23 AM
And fuck Seattle for booing a legend.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Damn, Tim is that nigga. Winning a title on 2 bad ankles is quite an accomplishment.

Those ankles were fatiguing Duncan like crazy in the fourth quarters of games. It was like watching LeBron in these Finals, Tim would have an amazing first three quarters and then he was spent in the fourth (unlike the rest of his career when he has been nails in the fourth).

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 12:25 AM

Dyess was a good edition to the team that year though on that frontline, made them even tougher there. I agree they lost some of their depth the year later when those guys left but they still had some vets off that bench with Hunter and Dyess. Oneal was still pretty good in 05 so yeah it would have been tough to guard him (He fell off some a year later and then more after that) with the bad ankles, Nazr would probably draw some of those duties like he did against the D Town frontline which was bigger overall than Miami's. The Heat probably make the finals in 05 as you said if not for injuries but the Spurs and Heat series we will never know of because it missed narrowly in 05 and the Spurs didn't make it in 06 but I say the Spurs still win the series in 05 if they met.
Those ankles were fatiguing Duncan like crazy in the fourth quarters of games. It was like watching LeBron in these Finals, Tim would have an amazing first three quarters and then he was spent in the fourth (unlike the rest of his career when he has been nails in the fourth).

Man that game 5 with him after putting up huge numbers in the first three Q's was hard to watch, he was missing all his FT's with no lift at all. He looked bad in those 4th's and it did not help going against a big frontline. He sucked all of that up in game 7 though and had one last run in him.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Crazy. Makes me appreciate Timmy even more.

Silver&Black
06-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Crazy. Makes me appreciate Timmy even more.

TP had some great games that postseason run also.....

Just throwing it out there :lol

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Actually, I take it back. The first ankle sprain was in Detroit on a game on ABC in March when he stepped on Rasheed Wallace's foot and turned it badly. He missed most of the rest of the season and it was never in great shape in the playoffs. The Spurs were an easy 65 win team that year had he not turned that ankle, they were far and away the best Spurs team all-time when healthy. I honestly figured the season was over when Duncan turned the other ankle in Seattle, it looked really bad at the time and the rest of the playoffs he was playing with them both really heavily taped.

Biernutz
06-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Mark Cuban is the problem with the Mav's. Cuban let one of the best points at that time
walk for nothing. They won a championship then Cuban blew up the
team when they probably had a couple of good runs left in the team. You never hear
Donnie Nelson talked about as a top league GM. Donnie seems to be a yes
man to serve Cubans Whims. If Cuban was smart he would grab Danny Ferry and let him
do the job.......

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:34 AM
TP had some great games that postseason run also.....

Just throwing it out there :lol
I refuse to believe that. Never happened. :lol jk

Kool Bob Love
06-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Actually, I take it back. The first ankle sprain was in Detroit on a game on ABC in March when he stepped on Rasheed Wallace's foot and turned it badly. He missed most of the rest of the season and it was never in great shape in the playoffs. The Spurs were an easy 65 win team that year had he not turned that ankle, they were far and away the best Spurs team all-time when healthy. I honestly figured the season was over when Duncan turned the other ankle in Seattle, it looked really bad at the time and the rest of the playoffs he was playing with them both really heavily taped.

I'm impressed you remember that season very well.

Clipper Nation
06-24-2015, 12:35 AM

Nope. LeBron got the MVP stolen from him by an inferior player for bullshit-ass reasons, just like most years.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:37 AM
I refuse to believe that. Never happened. :lol jk

Parker was great in the WCF. I remember I pissed all the French fans on the site off to no end when I made a "Tony Parker is a bitch" thread after Game 4 of the Finals though. :lol

RD2191
06-24-2015, 12:38 AM
Parker was great in the WCF. I remember I pissed all the French fans on the site off to no end when I made a "Tony Parker is a bitch" thread after Game 4 of the Finals though. :lol
:lmaodammit. Would of payed to join in on that thread.

TE
06-24-2015, 12:46 AM
I'm impressed you remember that season very well.
I remember those two injuries as well. Idk why I want to believe that Duncan turned his ankle during the Christmas game vs Detroit that year. Something like that unless I'm off. I do remember the injury in Seattle. Fucking bitchass fans were booing Duncan when he was preparing to shoot free throws. You knew something was plaguing Duncan when Jerome fucking James and Vitaly fucking Potapenko were making him work. That Manu dish to Tim to seal the series in Seattle was a well deserved fuck you to that franchise.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 12:53 AM
I remember those two injuries as well. Idk why I want to believe that Duncan turned his ankle during the Christmas game vs Detroit that year. Something like that unless I'm off. I do remember the injury in Seattle. Fucking bitchass fans were booing Duncan when he was preparing to shoot free throws. You knew something was plaguing Duncan when Jerome fucking James and Vitaly fucking Potapenko were making him work. That Manu dish to Tim to seal the series in Seattle was a well deserved fuck you to that franchise.

I loved the photos of the Seattle fans crying. My favorite was this preteen girl eyes all red with her Supersonics monkey toy wrapped around her head as her faggot fat dad was crying too. And then them moving to OKC and having that be their last playoff game ever was the cherry on top.

It wasn't a Christmas game when Tim turned his ankle, it was in March. The Spurs played the Pistons on Christmas in the 05-06 season in Detroit. I remember the Pistons were wearing red, Spurs white, and Detroit beat the Spurs ass pretty good in that Christmas game (I can't think of a single time I saw the Spurs win a road game wearing their white home jerseys :lol).

Funny piece of 2005 Finals trivia. What the fuck was Scotty Pippen doing sitting on the Spurs bench in Game 3 of the Finals?

http://i.imgur.com/dofm8vj.jpg

m>s
06-24-2015, 01:08 AM

Lol how old are you?

RD2191
06-24-2015, 01:08 AM
I loved the photos of the Seattle fans crying. My favorite was this preteen girl eyes all red with her Supersonics monkey toy wrapped around her head as her faggot fat dad was crying too. And then them moving to OKC and having that be their last playoff game ever was the cherry on top.

It wasn't a Christmas game when Tim turned his ankle, it was in March. The Spurs played the Pistons on Christmas in the 05-06 season in Detroit. I remember the Pistons were wearing red, Spurs white, and Detroit beat the Spurs ass pretty good in that Christmas game (I can't think of a single time I saw the Spurs win a road game wearing their white home jerseys :lol).

Funny piece of 2005 Finals trivia. What the fuck was Scotty Pippen doing sitting on the Spurs bench in Game 3 of the Finals?

http://i.imgur.com/dofm8vj.jpg
Pop calling his 5 titles like a GOAT.

Chris
06-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Scottie Pippin looks thrilled :lol

Ice009
06-24-2015, 02:06 AM

The first sprain was towards the end of the regular season. I think he did it in a game against the Pistons late in the regular season when he landed on Rasheed's foot and sprained his ankle quite badly. He missed games at the end of the regular season and I thought that he might not be able to play in the playoffs. I recall someone getting hold of a picture on one of the forums and his ankle looked really, really bad. I was very worried heading into the playoffs. I don't even know how he was able to play as well as he did in round 1 against the Nuggets. For the second half of the playoffs he was playing on two sprained ankles. If his ankles were close to 100%, I think he would have wrecked everyone in those playoffs.

Chris
06-24-2015, 02:12 AM
Pippen has a genuine hatred for the Pistons above the rivalry. Some of the Pistons starters walked off the floor early before the time ran out via a game 4 sweep from the Bulls. He's also been quoted as saying they were a very dirty team.

"The Pistons were a nasty team. You always had to expect them to play dirty because, remember, they were the Bad Boys of Motown. They'd go out of their way to be mean and try to hurt you.

"And because we had better athletes, coach Chuck Daly just let them play the way they had to play to win. Bill Laimbeer was no real athlete. The same for Rick Mahorn and Joe Dumars and James Edwards. We were faster, quicker, more competitive and smarter."

Franklin
06-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Nash only looked somewhat good in a run-and-gun system, which the Mavericks could not play with Erica in the middle imho. Looking in hindsight it's easy to tell that the Mavs made a big mistake giving Erica a big contract while letting Nash walk, but it'd still be a big question if the Mavs (or any team) could win the NBA championship with an obvious defensive liability on the back court. Dampier turned out to be trash for Mavs but at least he turned DUST chip in 2010 and brought Mavs TC who would play an integral role on their 2011 title run.

BatManu20
06-24-2015, 05:14 AM
I agree Nash didn't deserve that 2nd MVP, but I think people are forgetting how great Nash was in '05.. He led that Suns team and their #1 offense to the best record in the NBA while averaging 12 dimes and shooting 50% from the floor, and I remember every time Nash had to sit to put a heating pad on his back, the Suns offense would immediately start to struggle. The Suns did have talent that year though: Prime Marion, Amare, Joe Johnson, Barbosa, Q-Rich, Jim Jackson, etc. But Nash was the engine that mad them go. I didn't mind him winning MVP that season. His defense was shit though, no doubt about that.

m>s
06-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Nash is dumb, he didn't magically transform into twice the player he was over the summer after leaving Dallas, the system in Phoenix benefitted him more than anything. JET isn't Scottie pippen by any means but the improvement after Nash left was noticable.

jsandiego
06-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Actually, I take it back. The first ankle sprain was in Detroit on a game on ABC in March when he stepped on Rasheed Wallace's foot and turned it badly. He missed most of the rest of the season and it was never in great shape in the playoffs. The Spurs were an easy 65 win team that year had he not turned that ankle, they were far and away the best Spurs team all-time when healthy. I honestly figured the season was over when Duncan turned the other ankle in Seattle, it looked really bad at the time and the rest of the playoffs he was playing with them both really heavily taped.I can still picture in my head when that happened, and Duncan just stayed on the floor applying pressure to his foot with both hands. I immediately thought to myself, "there goes the championship." Amazing he battled back from that injury, and played through the other ankle injury. I was lucky enough to be at Game 7 in 2005 to see him take over and deliver the title. What an unreal basketball player.

ambchang
06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

I remembered them cheering the injury and booing when he got up, or something like that.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 10:46 AM
I remembered them cheering the injury and booing when he got up, or something like that.

It gave me a nice smile when Struggle threw that interception at the 1 yard line.

ambchang
06-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Nash is out of his mind. D'antoni actually made him. Look at what D'antoni did to Lin, basically a PG with court vision and decent shooting will make it in his system, not to mention a system where everyone can shoot. Obviously, Nash is leaps and bounds better than Lin, with much better court vision and arguably one of the best shooters of all time, but to say that he would get the same type of success if he remained in Dallas was insane. In fact, if he remained in Dallas, the offense would flow through Dirk, and Nash really isn't all that great playing off the ball. Whatever he brings on offense will be almost entirely negated by his horrible defense.

People were questioning the Suns offer to Nash back in the day. Nash was a good shooter, great even, decent at running an offense, and just putrid on defense. He was 29, been in the league for 7 years and didn't improve in three years, and the contract will end when he was like 34 or 35.

Nash deserved his 05 MVP, and him and D'antoni certainly brought another aspect that the NBA hasn't seen in years, but to pretend that his MVP seasons were due to him miraculously improving is crazy.

Pelicans78
06-24-2015, 05:30 PM

I thought T-Mac was great in 2006-2007.

DMC
06-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Dallas would have zero rings with Nash aboard.

Since leaving Nash, or Nash leaving them...

Dirk
Marion
Diaw
Barbosa
Probably more

all rings

Nash zero

DMC
06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Pop calling his 5 titles like a GOAT.
Speaking of, MVPippen directly behind.