PDA

View Full Version : Mavs interested in Danny

raybies
06-24-2015, 12:53 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238326/Mavericks-Targeting-Danny-Green-As-Monta-Ellis-Pursues-Deal-On-East-Coast

Seventyniner
06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Interesting. I would imagine that the Spurs would tell Danny that they'll match most offers. "Match" here is used loosely, I know that Danny is unrestricted. I also think that if the Spurs and Mavs offer identical contracts, Danny would take the Spurs' offer.

Raven
06-24-2015, 12:56 PM
he's gone tbh

Dex
06-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Of course they are. They are always going after the Spurs scraps.

They are probably also interested in Tim, Tony, Mills, Splitter, Manu, Beli, Baynes, Diaw, Bonner, McGrady, and Bogans.

Nobody wants Errors.

K...
06-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Well at least the spurs now know the market for him

SsKSpurs21
06-24-2015, 01:04 PM
didnt they blow their load on parsons?

raybies
06-24-2015, 01:06 PM

They have about 35+ million to spend if they wanted.

CGD
06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
I have a bad feeling Dmarre Carroll is going to get a big deal, which is also going to set Danny's price above what the Spurs are willing to pay.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 01:13 PM
draft thread tbh

Budkin
06-24-2015, 01:15 PM
No.

Vic Petro
06-24-2015, 01:18 PM
If the range on Danny is $10-$12m, Spurs gotta retain him. If it gets crazy like 5/$75, that'll be tough.

Seventyniner
06-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Here's a hypothetical: Danny goes to the Spurs FO and says "Dallas offered me __ years and $__ million. I'll stay if you offer the same thing."

What numbers cause the Spurs to say no? 4 and 60?

And just to make sure, only the Spurs can give Danny a 5th year, right? Would that affect the Spurs' ability to offer other 5-year contracts down the road? I know that giving Kawhi 5 years doesn't prevent the Spurs from offering Danny 5 also.

BatManu20
06-24-2015, 01:21 PM
If the range on Danny is $10-$12m, Spurs gotta retain him. If it gets crazy like 5/$75, that'll be tough.

You don't give Danny Green that kind of contract. If he's offered that elsewhere, he's gone. And it will be a terrible contract for whoever pays him that.

cantthinkofanything
06-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Here's a hypothetical: Danny goes to the Spurs FO and says "Dallas offered me __ years and $__ million. I'll stay if you offer the same thing."

And just to make sure, only the Spurs can give Danny a 5th year, right? Would that affect the Spurs' ability to offer other 5-year contracts down the road? I know that giving Kawhi 5 years doesn't prevent the Spurs from offering Danny 5 also.

5 years sounds like a long time for Green at big money. Makes it borderline imo. I think it's greater than 50/50 that we'd look back and think what a bad contract Spurs are locked into.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Doubt he goes there. Green will go to a contender.

BillMc
06-24-2015, 01:26 PM

5 years for Danny at a high price? He'll be 33 last year of that contract. DG may still be the shooter he is, but he won't be the defender. I'd give Danny a 4 year contract tops, preferably a three.

To your questions, I think they say no at 4 and 60. They probably say no at 4 and 50.

However, this offseason, our guard depth could really collapse if Manu retires, Green, Belli, and Joseph all leave. So, the FO may be (for once) willing to overpay. If so, I hope Danny is the one they choose to give the extra cash.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
You don't give Danny Green that kind of contract. If he's offered that elsewhere, he's gone. And it will be a terrible contract for whoever pays him that.
4 years at 44 is a good deal.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Unless it's an insane offer he will stay

buttsR4rebounding
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
I believe only one player at a time can get the 5 year deal.

Darius Bieber
06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Ah. Mavs are getting LA and now Green from the Spurs..

But honestly, Danny deserves to grab that Green right now. After his finals performances, I wouldn't be mad if he chased the money rather than do the "Spursy" thing and re-sign for less money.

CGD
06-24-2015, 01:30 PM
I really hope we keep him. If he gets too expensive though I'd send him to Cleveland for the Hayward contract, that pick, and filler. That should help in the LMA pursuits I'd imagine.

Danny would be tough to replace. Would have to be done with some combo of draft and vet.

CGD
06-24-2015, 01:31 PM

That would be a great deal

ducks
06-24-2015, 01:32 PM
robinson was tough to replace
we got a player named duncan

ducks
06-24-2015, 01:32 PM

Nathan89
06-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Just remember if Spurs don't keep Danny it was because of Parker.

cantthinkofanything
06-24-2015, 01:37 PM

yeah...good point. probably would have gone under the radar here

ducks
06-24-2015, 01:37 PM
yes because parker is responsible for holt agreeing with pop about the money to give tp
if spurs did not want to pay him that much they would have let him WALK

raybies
06-24-2015, 01:38 PM
I guess I'm somehow hoping he has really learned the Spurs way and gives them a discount. There has to be some sort of loyalty for all the Spurs have done for him. I mean that has to count for something, right? I don't see him being the Stephen Jackson type that is all about the money. He's a good dude. 9 million is still alot of money for someone that has been making around 3 per and less.

Chinook
06-24-2015, 01:39 PM

The Spurs can give Kawhi, Cory and Danny five-year deals this off-season with no consequence on their ability to give other five-year deals. They simply can't give more than one player signed to a five-year extension off a rookie contract.

I'd totally go five if it meant lowering the APY. $55M/5 is much more appealing than $48M/4, especially if it's structured on a descending structure (less than $9 Million his final season). Can even make the last year non-guaranteed.

Nathan89
06-24-2015, 01:40 PM
yes because parker is responsible for holt agreeing with pop about the money to give tp
if spurs did not want to pay him that much they would have let him WALK

Buford was probably drunk when he made the offer. If this was sex it would be rape.

Seventyniner
06-24-2015, 01:44 PM
The Spurs can give Kawhi, Cory and Danny five-year deals this off-season with no consequence on their ability to give other five-year deals. They simply can't give more than one player signed to a five-year extension off a rookie contract.

I'd totally go five if it meant lowering the APY. $55M/5 is much more appealing than $48M/4, especially if it's structured on a descending structure (less than $9 Million his final season). Can even make the last year non-guaranteed.

Thanks for the info about 5-year contracts. I would also give that extra year to Danny to see if he lets the average per year go down. A non-guaranteed 5th year, though, makes it basically a 4-year contract and the Mavs might offer something pretty rich for 4 years.

Seventyniner
06-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Buford was probably drunk when he made the offer. If this was sex it would be rape.

Nah, the FO thought that 2013-2014 was a blip and that Tony could at least approach his days of getting MVP votes. Nobody saw this past season from Parker coming.

It was still a bad idea to extend Parker, but the FO has a way of doing business and Parker's extension fits in with that.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Nah, the FO thought that 2013-2014 was a blip and that Tony could at least approach his days of getting MVP votes. Nobody saw this past season from Parker coming.

It was still a bad idea to extend Parker, but the FO has a way of doing business and Parker's extension fits in with that.

I guess they had their beer goggles on because very few guards over the age of 30 who depend on speed have that kind of staying power.

Chinook
06-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info about 5-year contracts. I would also give that extra year to Danny to see if he lets the average per year go down. A non-guaranteed 5th year, though, makes it basically a 4-year contract and the Mavs might offer something pretty rich for 4 years.

Well they can make it guaranteed based on certain milestones or they can add incentives to make it much better. Incentives could boost the total value of the deal to $63.25 Million, which is way more than anyone else would offer. If those milestones are steep enough, then Danny would only get that much money if he's really awesome. If that's the case, no one should think he doesn't deserve it.

BatManu20
06-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Yes, it is. I was referring to the 5-yr/$75M proposal.

K...
06-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Uh, we got nazr and rasho. And. You should never cite Tim Duncan as a precedent. It's way too lucky. Every team not named Lakers had tried to get a Duncan and failed.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 02:15 PM

They should have about $21 million to spend after cap holds for roster spots under 12 and after their first round pick, assuming Ellis doesn't opt out (which I think is a good assumption since he gets $9 million this year and can get a big bump next season with the high cap).

pgardn
06-24-2015, 02:32 PM

Yeah that's exactly what he was thinking after 2014 title.
We could have won it with Patty at PG...

STFU.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM

:lol

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Green ranks very well in virtually every advanced metric, tbh..if this was 5 years ago, he wouldn't get paid nearly as much because his offensive game isn't aesthetically pleasing, but I'm today's data-driven NBA, he deserves a ton of money considering the current climate of the league both on and off the court..

40%+ 3 shooter, one of the 3-5 best shooters in the history of the playoffs, 2nd tier defender, understands system basketball..not many fit that criteria..

pgardn
06-24-2015, 03:02 PM
Green ranks very well in virtually every advanced metric, tbh..if this was 5 years ago, he wouldn't get paid nearly as much because his offensive game isn't aesthetically pleasing, but I'm today's data-driven NBA, he deserves a ton of money considering the current climate of the league both on and off the court..

40%+ 3 shooter, one of the 3-5 best shooters in the history of the playoffs, 2nd tier defender, understands system basketball..not many fit that criteria..

His lack of ball handling as a guard and the inability to create demands he lands in the right situation of where there are many. I think there are a number of teams he fits very well. Hope he stays, but actually he will be less useful with us unless Tony does a U turn and Manu finds a body. He needs to land with a good distributing guard and ideally also with a forward who can handle.

peacemaker885
06-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Verde aint leaving.

06-24-2015, 03:49 PM
It seems that Mavs always have $10+ million of cap space to spend each year and the Spurs always seem to have zero cap space to spend each year.

cantthinkofanything
06-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I guess they had their beer goggles on because very few guards over the age of 30 who depend on speed have that kind of staying power.

very few...or zero

I can't think of any PG that relied on their speed that played effectively into their 30's.

ducks
06-24-2015, 05:10 PM
is Cuban trying to make spurs pay more for green then they want to like he did with parsons but ended up with him

therealtruth
06-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Get him a player development coach but the Spurs have to retain him.

tholdren
06-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Well they can make it guaranteed based on certain milestones or they can add incentives to make it much better. Incentives could boost the total value of the deal to $63.25 Million, which is way more than anyone else would offer. If those milestones are steep enough, then Danny would only get that much money if he's really awesome. If that's the case, no one should think he doesn't deserve it.

How do incentives on contract hold against the salary cap?

tholdren
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM

With all the talk of data - you refuse to take any of this year's playoff games into consideration.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM

:lmao

He had one good series and now he is an all time best shooter. Let's see we have Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, and Danny Green at number 3.

benstanfield
06-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Doesn't strike me as one of Cuban's annual mercenary vets. What are Mo Williams and Sam Dalembert doing these days?

Shabazz
06-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Mavs are looking to get rid of Ellis.

TD 21
06-24-2015, 06:54 PM
Green clearly wants to stay (I get the sense that he'd even take slightly less) and the Spurs clearly want to keep him, which means he's only gone if someone offers him something astronomical. Unfortunately, if/when the Mavs miss on the big fish, they're the exact team I could see doing so.

Axegrinder
06-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Mavs are looking to get rid of Ellis.Already reported as opting out so they dont have to do anything..he gone..and leaves cubes with more space

DJR210
06-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Who aren't the Mavs interested in? They're probably interested in Tim and Kawhi too.

monkeypunk
06-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Green clearly wants to stay (I get the sense that he'd even take slightly less) and the Spurs clearly want to keep him, which means he's only gone if someone offers him something astronomical. Unfortunately, if/when the Mavs miss on the big fish, they're the exact team I could see doing so.

Cuban overspending is the rule not the exception. Dude is not scared of swinging for the fences.

BillMc
06-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Who aren't the Mavs interested in? They're probably interested in Tim and Kawhi too.

Yep, Mavs are the drunk guy hurriedly hitting on every girl in the club as its closing at 6 AM (and in the parking lot afterwards). He'll go home with anyone, and he's not too proud to show it...

milkyway21
06-24-2015, 08:14 PM
It would really freak me out if I see Danny Green in the Maverick's jersey next season :(

Darius McCrary
06-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Of course they are. They are always going after the Spurs scraps.

They are probably also interested in Tim, Tony, Mills, Splitter, Manu, Beli, Baynes, Diaw, Bonner, McGrady, and Bogans.

Nobody wants Errors.

Lol lol
hilarious
freaking mavs

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 08:23 PM
With all the talk of data - you refuse to take any of this year's playoff games into consideration.

Sure I do..it's a 1-series sample size where he didn't play well on a team where everybody struggled outside of Duncan, Mills and Leonard..I don't deny that he didn't play well, but why focus on that 1 series and ignore everything else?

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 08:24 PM
:lmao

He had one good series and now he is an all time best shooter. Let's see we have Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, and Danny Green at number 3.

1 good series? :lmao he shot 48% from 3 in 2 consecutive playoff runs into June on 5 attempts per game..there has never been a shooter in playoff history that put together 2 runs of that caliber..

The only player in playoff history in the 250+ 3 attempts club that shot a better % than him is Jeff Hornacek IIRC..

dbestpro
06-24-2015, 08:25 PM
is Cuban trying to make spurs pay more for green then they want to like he did with parsons but ended up with him

Yes.