PDA

View Full Version : Let Green Walk

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Dude is overrated AF. Can't dribble, streaky 3 point shooter, gambles on defense, avg athleticism, overrated 1v1 defender, no midrange, no penetration, can't create own shot. He is the epitome of a system player let some other team make the mistake of paying him 50-45mil/4yr. Spurs would be alot better off giving someone like Brewer, Ellington, stuckey, Shved, Singler, Afflalo a contract for half of what green will get and spending the $ elsewhere like LMA, Love, Gasol. Green doesn't even play in late game situations its usually Parker/Manu/Kawhi/Diaw/Duncan. Can't pay 10-13$ mil to a player who doesn't finish games and except to content for a chip.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Underrated imo

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Dude is overrated AF. Can't dribble, streaky 3 point shooter, gambles on defense, avg athleticism, overrated 1v1 defender, no midrange, no penetration, can't create own shot. He is the epitome of a system player let some other team make the mistake of paying him 50-45mil/4yr. Spurs would be alot better off giving someone like Brewer, Ellington, stuckey, Shved, Singler, Afflalo a contract for half of what green will get and spending the $ elsewhere like LMA, Love, Gasol. Green doesn't even play in late game situations its usually Parker/Manu/Kawhi/Diaw/Duncan. Can't pay 10-13$ mil to a player who doesn't finish games and except to content for a chip.

If the system is so great why were the Spurs failing so hard to fill the spot Green does for years?

Hedo Turkoglu?
Ime Udoka?
Micheal Finley?
Keith Bogans?
Roger Mason Jr?
Richard Jefferson?
James Anderson?

These names ring a bell? Such a great system should have made them top notch role players?

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:13 PM
If the system is so great why were the Spurs failing so hard to fill the spot Green does for years?

Hedo Turkoglu?
Ime Udoka?
Micheal Finley?
Keith Bogans?
Roger Mason Jr?
Richard Jefferson?
James Anderson?

These names ring a bell? Such a great system should have made them top notch role players?

None of those Players had Kawhi Leonard.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Dumb thread

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 02:16 PM
None of those Players had Kawhi Leonard.

All but Jefferson and Anderson had prime Ginobili.

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Dumb thread

So how much should the spurs pay green?

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 02:18 PM

Hopefully $10 million or less.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:20 PM

What BB said. Still, you don't lose Green for nothing.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:21 PM
:lol all those shitty players OP listed too as Green replacements smh

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:24 PM

You are overrating green so bad. Spurs would be fine without him

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:26 PM
You are overrating green so bad. Spurs would be fine without him

dumb post

Raven
06-24-2015, 02:29 PM
he has the finals record in three pointers made and he is the only player ever to average >.400 %3, 10p 4r 2a 1s and 1bl in less than 30minutes. i think that's pretty special.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:31 PM
he has the finals record in three pointers made and he is the only player ever to average >.400 %3, 10p 4r 2a 1s and 1bl in less than 30minutes. i think that's pretty special.

No, he's replaceable. You can put shitty scrubs like Shved and Singler in his place and we will be fine. - Retard take.

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
No, he's replaceable. You can put shitty scrubs like Shved and Singler in his place and we will be fine. - Retard take.

Those players will make a 1/4 of what green will make and will do an "adequate" Job of filling the void. It all about value buddy boy and paying Green anything over 10mil is severely overpaying. The spurs didn't get to where they are now by overpaying mediocre players. They paid the big 3 and would put cogs around them at reasonable $.

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 02:39 PM

Green ranks as an elite defender by virtually every advanced statistical measure..Synergy has him as a top 4 best 1 on 1 wing defender in the league among starters ..that + 40% 3-point shooter is virtually impossible to find..

I love fans that don't watch basketball outside of the Spurs, too:lol..look at the names on that list:lmao

Corey Brewer is terrible at everything basketball-related outside of fast breaks, Afflalo is an awful defender and declining on offenee, Stuckey would be a poor fit with Parker and everybody else on your list sucks..

The Spurs "system" is also becoming severely over-emphasized..there are a bunch of teams in the league that make role players fit well, it's not exclusive to the Spurs..

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Those players will make a 1/4 of what green will make and will do an "adequate" Job of filling the void. It all about value buddy boy and paying Green anything over 10mil is severely overpaying. The spurs didn't get to where they are now by overpaying mediocre players. They paid the big 3 and would put cogs around them at reasonable $.

They paid Richard Jefferson 4 yr/40 million to stick around. If the Spurs can "overpay" for RJ, they can do the same for Danny Green, who has proven his value enough on this team. :lol "adequate". Let me know when any of those replacements shut down the best PGs in the league or shoot over 40% from 3 in the playoffs. People seem to be forgetting how hot Danny was the past two runs before this year, but of course people only focus on him when he's struggling. I'm not even overrating Green. But it's amazing how some of you underrate him still.

Darius Bieber
06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Lol let Green walk and be stuck with Parker and Belinelli... Thank God OP doesn't work with PATFO. Team would be fucked.

KawhiLeonard
06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Can't wait to bump this thread mid season just to say I warned u dumshits. Green will be an avg SG with a bloated contract but time will tell its all semantics at this point

bklynspursfan
06-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Best defensive wing tandem in the league. You dont break that up if you can help it

Chinook
06-24-2015, 02:53 PM
Can't wait to bump this thread mid season just to say I warned u dumshits. Green will be an avg SG with a bloated contract but time will tell its all semantics at this point

None of this is semantics.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 02:56 PM
None of this is semantics.

Doesnt know what semantics means

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 02:57 PM

So basically you have no good argument

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 02:59 PM
:lol a lot of people don't seem to understand the way the Spurs are constructed..

You want a wing that can create his own shot AND play good defense? Ok, so do I..too bad there are only 7 or 8 of them in the NBA:lol(Butler, Thompson, George, Middleton, maybe Matthews post-injury, Kawhi, LeBron, ?)

You want a wing playmaker, regardless of defense? Ok, good luck pairing him with Tony Parker in the backcourt and especially when Boris is on the floor with them :lol..you want a wing scorer starting on a team that already struggles to get Kawhi enough touches?

You want Kawhi to carry the entire load on defense, which will severely affect his offense? You could play Splitter more for defense, but how do you space the floor with Parker/Kawhi/Duncan/Splitter?

Thats not even factoring the "fit" and chemistry part, too..

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Afflalo is VERY overrated, his name stuck out first.
:lol a lot of people don't seem to understand the way the Spurs are constructed..

You want a wing that can create his own shot AND play good defense? Ok, so do I..too bad there are only 7 or 8 of them in the NBA:lol(Butler, Thompson, George, Middleton, maybe Matthews post-injury, Kawhi, LeBron, ?)

You want a wing playmaker, regardless of defense? Ok, good luck pairing him with Tony Parker in the backcourt and especially when Boris is on the floor with them :lol..you want a wing scorer starting on a team that already struggles to get Kawhi enough touches?

You want Kawhi to carry the entire load on defense, which will severely affect his offense? You could play Splitter more for defense, but how do you space the floor with Parker/Kawhi/Duncan/Splitter?

^^^ This.

Raven
06-24-2015, 03:04 PM

exactly. todays big three is tiago, kawhi and danny.

cjw
06-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Better to overpay Green by a couple million and still have a chance to compete, than lose him for nothing and have absolutely no shot.

With the cap continuing to go up, the contract will be a lower and lower % of the cap each year. He just turned 28 and will be 32 when the contract expires. The last year of the contract may see some decline in ability, but he'll be expiring by then.

I'd be totally in favor of signing Danny to a declining value deal where he gets paid more in year 1 than 4. Something other teams will have trouble offering and will give even more flexibility in future years (team will be over the cap anyway once his cap hold goes away).

LakerHater
06-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Mavericks Targeting Danny Green In Free Agency (reports @ShamsCharania (http://www.spurstalk.com/ShamsCharania)): http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238326/Mavericks-Targeting-Danny-Green-As-Monta-Ellis-Pursues-Deal-On-East-Coast … (http://t.co/6dw5hAYilf)

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 03:13 PM
If you let Green walk in exchange for getting an Aldridge or big name, impact player, that's fine..

If you let him walk so you can sign Arron Afflalo and Brandon Bass, then that would be a fucking disaster:lol..

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 03:14 PM
Better to overpay Green by a couple million and still have a chance to compete, than lose him for nothing and have absolutely no shot.

With the cap continuing to go up, the contract will be a lower and lower % of the cap each year. He just turned 28 and will be 32 when the contract expires. The last year of the contract may see some decline in ability, but he'll be expiring by then.

I'd be totally in favor of signing Danny to a declining value deal where he gets paid more in year 1 than 4. Something other teams will have trouble offering and will give even more flexibility in future years (team will be over the cap anyway once his cap hold goes away).
No one seems to understand this right here ( or I should say alot of people) without Green we are a sub-par team. End of story.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 03:14 PM
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/x/image/1368/39/1368398311342.jpg

cjw
06-24-2015, 03:17 PM
No one seems to understand this right here ( or I should say alot of people) without Green we are a sub-par team. End of story.

People take everything too personally and don't think big picture. You play with the hand you're dealt. This isn't NBA 2K where you can make 30 back-to-back trades and turn Nando de Colo and a second round pick into a viable starter.

Raven
06-24-2015, 03:28 PM

:tu

middleton can't really create his own shot though

K...
06-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Does op actually understand nba salaries? A veteran starting player of any position should earn at least $10 mill.

Also lol at HH taking a hot wet shit on kawhi Leonard. Player fan crew gonna go into a tizzy

manufan10
06-24-2015, 04:44 PM
DggAXSv53Qc

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 04:45 PM
OP finally off himself??

apalisoc_9
06-24-2015, 04:47 PM

Juan
06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
10M or under you def keep him. 12M tough call. 15M bye.

Chomag
06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
8-9 mil for very good a systems roll player sounds about right to me. No way is he worth over 10 mil.

peacemaker885
06-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Should DG walk, what do you guys think of Aaron Aflfalo? Hard working, blue collar type player.

benstanfield
06-24-2015, 05:50 PM
He's been VERY underrated in his time with the Spurs, but I could see him falling off a STEEP cliff around 29/30 like Thabo Sefalosha. He isn't a hand of god shooter like Kyle Korver, so when the lateral quickness goes he could go from a top 5 3&D player to Mike Miller in the course of a year.

Shabazz
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM

he is one of the best 3-and-D players in the league. He can nail 3's on one end and lock up Steph Curry on the other end. He is so good at defensive transition, he actually stopped Lebron repeatedly the fast break. He led all shooting guards in blocked shots.

you smoke rock if you'd rather have Kyle Singler. Crack rocks.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 05:52 PM
Should DG walk, what do you guys think of Aaron Aflfalo? Hard working, blue collar type player.

Oft injured and a defensive sieve

spurraider21
06-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Green ranks as an elite defender by virtually every advanced statistical measure..Synergy has him as a top 4 best 1 on 1 wing defender in the league among starters ..that + 40% 3-point shooter is virtually impossible to find..

I love fans that don't watch basketball outside of the Spurs, too:lol..look at the names on that list:lmao

Corey Brewer is terrible at everything basketball-related outside of fast breaks, Afflalo is an awful defender and declining on offenee, Stuckey would be a poor fit with Parker and everybody else on your list sucks..

The Spurs "system" is also becoming severely over-emphasized..there are a bunch of teams in the league that make role players fit well, it's not exclusive to the Spurs..
to be fair, would anybody be a good fit with parker? :lol

tholdren
06-24-2015, 05:58 PM

Hedo Turkoglu? - not athletic, couldn't defend
Ime Udoka? - couldn't shoot a three
Micheal Finley? - came to spurs at 32
Keith Bogans? couldn't shoot a three
Roger Mason Jr? had no offensive or defensive game
Richard Jefferson? Uncertain why this didn't work out - Roger Dorn Syndrome
James Anderson? Who?

TXstbobcat
06-24-2015, 06:53 PM
4 years $40 million. Keep verde in a Spurs uniform.

SpursFanInAustin
06-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Hedo Turkoglu?
Ime Udoka?
Micheal Finley?
Keith Bogans?
Roger Mason Jr?
Richard Jefferson?
James Anderson?

Turkoglu and Finley were terrible defenders but good 3 shooters and could get by with them starting because Bowen was still in his prime to defend elite wings. Once Bowen aged/retired (2008-09), we were screwed until Kawhi came along.

spurraider21
06-24-2015, 09:06 PM
:lol apalisoc_9

OP is a kawhi leonard fan who thinks green is overrated

i thought that was what tony parker playerfans did :lmao

dabom
06-24-2015, 09:13 PM

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 09:30 PM
They paid Richard Jefferson 4 yr/40 million to stick around. If the Spurs can "overpay" for RJ, they can do the same for Danny Green, who has proven his value enough on this team. :lol "adequate". Let me know when any of those replacements shut down the best PGs in the league or shoot over 40% from 3 in the playoffs. People seem to be forgetting how hot Danny was the past two runs before this year, but of course people only focus on him when he's struggling. I'm not even overrating Green. But it's amazing how some of you underrate him still.

They had no cap space to lure bigtime free agents when they offered Jefferson that deal, and they traded his ass less than halfway through the deal. Green may just be a casualty of the bigger strategy and numbers. I don't think he's eminently replaceable, but you have to look at the opportunity cost of keeping him at $10-12M/yr.

K...
06-24-2015, 09:36 PM
:lol apalisoc_9

OP is a kawhi leonard fan who thinks green is overrated

i thought that was what tony parker playerfans did :lmao

Is that why he did that ridiculous straw man thread? What a loser, forum damage control is so beta.

apalisoc_9
06-24-2015, 09:37 PM
LMAO OP is not a kawhi leonard fan...He's a tony parker fan. check his history.

Damn I'm not surprised Parker fans are resorting to lying and manipulation now..Even going as far as using a KawhiLeonard username.

K...
06-24-2015, 09:41 PM

Damn I'm not surprised Parker fans are resorting to lying and manipulation now..Even going as far as using a KawhiLeonard username.

Can you list me the Parker friends?

RD2191
06-24-2015, 09:43 PM

It's getting pathetic tbh.

sexinthatsx
06-24-2015, 10:19 PM
I agree with OP in a sense that Danny Green's market value is inflated and overrated to other teams, but he's undervalued to the Spurs. At this point, Spurs need Danny Green more than Danny Green can put other teams over the top. But if the rumors are true that he could get 8-10 mil a season, I just can't see Spurs pulling the trigger since they're looking for a big man to fill the void.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 11:02 PM

Sup OP

Budkin
06-24-2015, 11:20 PM
It would be a complete disaster for the Spurs to lose Green.

Silver&Black
06-24-2015, 11:27 PM
Sup OP

:lmao

rmt
06-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Prefer to keep Green than go chasing the pipe dream that is LMA or M. Gasol. No free agent of consequence is ever gonna come to SA. This is a perimeter-driven league. Green is an elite defender, excellent 3 pt shooter and knows/fits the system. Who's gonna chase around Westbrooke, Paul, Lillard, etc. - Parker? Belli? If Spurs can give Parker 13-15 mill, they should certainly give Green 10-12 especially considering his defense and all the elite 1-2s in the West.

therealtruth
06-25-2015, 07:15 AM
DG's defense is not replaceable, especially his shot blocking. Offense can always be developed. Remember in the Finals when they were running him off the line and he was taking guys of the dribble.

dabom
06-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Prefer to keep Green than go chasing the pipe dream that is LMA or M. Gasol. No free agent of consequence is ever gonna come to SA. This is a perimeter-driven league. Green is an elite defender, excellent 3 pt shooter and knows/fits the system. Who's gonna chase around Westbrooke, Paul, Lillard, etc. - Parker? Belli? If Spurs can give Parker 13-15 mill, they should certainly give Green 10-12 especially considering his defense and all the elite 1-2s in the West.

I'd rather have duncan and aldridge pound the rock down low. I don't many teams that can defend the 4 and 5 spot simultaneous. Duncan or LA would have a mismatch all day.

DMC
06-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Stopped reading at no punctuation.

ginobilized
06-25-2015, 07:45 AM
I get the sense that Pop has given up on Green.
His lack of minutes in crunch time tells us what Pop
thinks of his decision making. Mental lapses are a killer
to one's success in SA. Personally, I think Green is great
at his role, I just question whether Pop has become too
frustrated by Green's mental errors.

Richie
06-25-2015, 08:36 AM
His actual salary doesn't matter, just his cap hold. If we land Justin Anderson I wonder if the front office might consider letting him go if we can lure a free agent

buttsR4rebounding
06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
I agree with OP in a sense that Danny Green's market value is inflated and overrated to other teams, but he's undervalued to the Spurs. At this point, Spurs need Danny Green more than Danny Green can put other teams over the top. But if the rumors are true that he could get 8-10 mil a season, I just can't see Spurs pulling the trigger since they're looking for a big man to fill the void.

Everyone needs to readjust their thinking as to what constitutes a reasonable salary. If the cap goes to 108 million as has been projected by some then a salary of $10-12 million is the equivalent of a $6 to $7.5 million salary under the current cap levels. If we were talking 7 million everyone would be saying this is a no brainer. Well, this is a no-brainer. As long as they can make it work bringing in Aldridge this year and keeping Danny I bet they will. The Spurs ownership has NEVER taken a distribution from the team. They have reserves on hand to pay the luxury tax if necessary short term to transition from the Duncan era to the Aldridge era while remaining competitive. If they can pull it off this will be an incredible achievement for Pop and will further separate him from Jackson.

Nathan89
06-25-2015, 11:06 AM
The last thing Parker fans should want is someone with a lower three point% to replace Green. Tony can't get by one defender he doesn't need someone else to take a step in tbh.

sexinthatsx
06-25-2015, 03:24 PM
but tbh Danny Green has the BEST transition D in the NBA today, as well as some of the best defense. His market value is definitely 10 mil if the cap is in fact raised for the 2015-2016 season.

monkeypunk
06-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Let's don't. Danny gives us too much d to let go if we are already losing Tiago

SanAntonioSpurs23
06-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Fuck that

Godbama
06-26-2015, 12:39 PM
we've got more pressing FA concerns

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/06/pelicans_have_no_need_for_pf_b.html

lol

dabom
06-26-2015, 12:42 PM

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/06/pelicans_have_no_need_for_pf_b.html

lol

Godbama
06-26-2015, 03:37 PM
I like how the dude couldn't even find a picture of Red Mamba doing anything positive on the court. Like he's just using a picture of Marcus Morris successfully outrebounding Matt Bonner in his article about going after Matt Bonner.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Lets face it. Out of all the spurs starters Green is the most replaceable. Sure we'd like him to return but if not he can be replaced at half the cost

barbacoataco
06-26-2015, 09:44 PM
A lot of times he looks like an elite defender, but after watching the playoffs after the Spurs were gone, and I watched a lot of games, I think there are better, tougher, guys in the league. And his 3 pt shooting is streaky.

tim_duncan_fan
06-26-2015, 09:54 PM
Blasphemy.

Splits
06-26-2015, 10:17 PM
Nobody even mentioned his durability. Dude has almost never been injured and very reliable to lace em up every night.

I bet he'll take a hometown discount at 4/40 out of loyalty to the org

Spur|n|Austin
06-26-2015, 10:22 PM
OP had more commas than a Larry Page/Sergey Brin direct deposit.

A lot of times he looks like an elite defender, but after watching the playoffs after the Spurs were gone, and I watched a lot of games, I think there are better, tougher, guys in the league. And his 3 pt shooting is streaky.

Who's a better defender and spot up shooter at a lower cost?

Spur-Addict
06-26-2015, 11:52 PM

lol

:lol

BatManu20
06-27-2015, 12:21 AM

lol

KL2
06-27-2015, 12:43 AM

Green is too good, him and Leonard guard 2 guys at once on the high screen and roll, Parker and Bellinelli provide 0 help defense, Duncan is easily exposed on the high screen and roll, as are Diaw/Baynes, almost everyone aside of Manu/Splitter. There aren't many other guys in this league that have that sort of responsibility, that's why they're so good, without Green slowing those guys on the perimeter making up for everyone else's lack of defense, you're looking at a layup line to the basket. His shot blocking is also irreplaceable, it influences anyone's shot he's trailing.

Parker's offensive game is also heavily reliant on a 3pt shooter like Green, shut down Green, shut down Parker easily.

Godbama
06-27-2015, 02:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Igb0Rj8.jpg

BatManu20
06-27-2015, 02:51 AM
This is my nightmare.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CITDe2mUkAAbUR6.jpg

cd021
06-27-2015, 08:18 AM
Lets face it. Out of all the spurs starters Green is the most replaceable. Sure we'd like him to return but if not he can be replaced at half the cost

I disagree completely with that. After Leonard and Duncan Green is the hardest to replace. He's one of the four best active 3pt shooters in the league and a top level defender. No one fills that role at SG that can be obtained by the Spurs.

If Green leaves, it could get ugly at 2 guard next year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2015, 11:12 AM

Ditty
06-27-2015, 11:29 AM
I really think Green is going to stay. From what I've heard from many people is that he loves SA. His girlfriend/fiance is from here also, and she wants to stay from what I know.

He enjoys playing in the small market, and being every 25 years old and under, San Antonio Mexican/Black girls fantasy. :lol

benefactor
06-27-2015, 11:48 AM
I have the gut feeling someone is going throw a huge wad cash at him. He should take it too. He's tasted success...it's time to get paid.

DesignatedT
06-27-2015, 11:51 AM
If someone throws around 15M annually at Green than that's going to be an awful tough decision for the Spurs. He's worth 10-12M in this market and that's fair value for him.

Mugen
06-27-2015, 11:54 AM
i love Danny but 15mil/yr is crazy money for a non-big who can't dribble or create his own shot. I'll be happy for him if he can get that type of contract.

Pocket Hippo
06-27-2015, 11:57 AM
I think Belli will be gone for sure, he is a hired-gun type of guy, has never stayed longer than two seasons with a team.
Green will likely stay to play with LA, if we don't get LA, then he will go to whatever shitty team wants to throw the most money at him. It is entirely possible someone (Cuban) will offer him 11 or 12 mil, which is overpaying and the Spurs won't get near that number. I hope they offer him a short term contract like with the understanding that when the cap moves up next year we will make it up to him.

toki9
06-27-2015, 01:50 PM
How about figuring out a way to trade Green to Charlotte for Batum?

BatManu20
06-27-2015, 04:01 PM
From everything I'm reading, the teams that appear to have the most interest are:

1. Mavs
2. Knicks
3. Pistons
4. Kings
5. Magic

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the teams who have reportedly made it known that he is a target.

BatManu20
06-27-2015, 04:03 PM
I know the Cavs would love to have him, but don't they can afford him if/when they max Lebron and Tristan Thompson this summer.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-27-2015, 04:08 PM
From everything I'm reading, the teams that appear to have the most interest are:

1. Mavs
2. Knicks
3. Pistons
4. Kings
5. Magic

I'm sure there are many more, but these are the teams who have reportedly made it known that he is a target.

Danny has no chance of winning championships with those teams in the next several years. So Danny has to decide to take less money and continue to contend for championships here or get paid and ride off to obscurity.

TXstbobcat
06-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Danny has no chance of winning championships with those teams in the next several years. So Danny has to decide to take less money and continue to contend for championships here or get paid and ride off to obscurity.

he has his championship ring and this could be his last chance to cash in for a giant payday. He is going to take the money and run.

BatManu20
06-27-2015, 04:13 PM

He already has a ring. This is likely his last chance to get a big contract offer in the NBA. Role players almost always take the money, because who knows if/when they'll ever see it again. Obviously I want him to remain a Spur, but I will not be at all surprised if he bolts, and you really can't blame him.

montgod
06-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't Spurs turn focus to LMA first, get that deal done, re-sign Duncan and Manu to lesser deals stretched out two years, and then go over cap to sign Green and Kawhi and trade Splitter if needed? Could flip flop order of Duncan/Manu and LMA deals probably since the cap holds would be smaller for Duncan/Manu after new deals.

DesignatedT
06-27-2015, 05:26 PM
You guys make it sound like the Spurs are going to offer 6M a yr while the other teams are offering 12M. I don't think that's the case. If it is then obviously he is gone for good reason but the Spurs will make a competitive offer to Green.

TD 21
06-27-2015, 05:38 PM
You guys make it sound like the Spurs are going to offer 6M a yr while the other teams are offering 12M. I don't think that's the case. If it is then obviously he is gone for good reason but the Spurs will make a competitive offer to Green.

I have a bad feeling that they're going to max out at $9-10M and someone is going to get desperate and offer $11-12M. All things being relatively equal, I'm confident he'd stay. But a $8M gap over 4 years, when this is more than likely going to be his one big payday, is probably too much for him to pass up.

I'd still sign Aldridge at all costs, but it would be somewhat pointless without Green. Part of the reason for signing Aldridge is obviously because he's a top 15 player, but the other part is to at least attempt to extend the championship window for a few years. That can't happen without Green, since there's no legit replacement to be found.

montgod
06-27-2015, 05:45 PM
I have a bad feeling that they're going to max out at $9-10M and someone is going to get desperate and offer $11-12M. All things being relatively equal, I'm confident he'd stay. But a $8M gap over 4 years, when this is more than likely going to be his one big payday, is probably too much for him to pass up.

I'd still sign Aldridge at all costs, but it would be somewhat pointless without Green. Part of the reason for signing Aldridge is obviously because he's a top 15 player, but the other part is to at least attempt to extend the championship window for a few years. That can't happen without Green, since there's no legit replacement to be found.

Green is a toss up for me. I think part of him wants to stay with the same ole gang and try to win one or two more while Duncan is around to the point of taking maybe a 9- 10 mill per year type deal. He knows Spurs take care of their players and can have him playing for years on out vs. getting one big pay day, losing, and then being done. It could go either way, but have a feeling he will return.

Otherwise, I could see them exploring Affalo, Crawford, or.... Shumpert in free agency who should all be cheaper than Green.

DesignatedT
06-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Can the Spurs offer an extra year to Danny compared to the open market or no?

DesignatedT
06-27-2015, 05:51 PM
It's a tough call, especially if he is demanding up towards 12M+ annually. I know everyone loves Danny and his importance can't be understated but man that's a lot of $ for him.

TD 21
06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Green is a toss up for me. I think part of him wants to stay with the same ole gang and try to win one or two more while Duncan is around to the point of taking maybe a 9- 10 mill per year type deal. He knows Spurs take care of their players and can have him playing for years on out vs. getting one big pay day, losing, and then being done. It could go either way, but have a feeling he will return.

Otherwise, I could see them exploring Affalo, Crawford, or.... Shumpert in free agency who should all be cheaper than Green.

He will return, all things being relatively equal, but they might not be.

Crawford isn't a free agent, is old, can't defend and is a streaky three-point shooter and Shumpert is a mediocre three-point shooter and restricted, so they'll match anything within' reason. Plus, it would require tying up cap space in him and waiting for up to 3 days, which would effectively take them out of the Aldridge sweepstakes.

Afflalo, I'm sure they'll be rumors about it, but he'd have to settle for the MLE, which is highly unlikely. Even if he did, he's an overrated defender.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Can the Spurs offer an extra year to Danny compared to the open market or no?

Yes, and higher raises. Spurs can give him a $57.5M/5 deal with the same starting salary as another team giving him a $42.7M/4. That's almost $15 Million more guaranteed. Or the Spurs could do that deal in a decreasing system and leave the last year non-guaranteed. Green gets $5 Million more than he would from another team and the Spurs get protection/a good trade chip that final year.

DesignatedT
06-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Spurs should definitely offer him a five year deal then. Would help him in his decision to return and he's a very young 28 years old at this point in his career.

Beaverfuzz
06-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Green is a pretty decent player but he's not worth that kind of coin. :bobo

spot2180
06-28-2015, 08:58 AM
Green is a pretty decent player but he's not worth that kind of coin. :bobo

Agreed. I like Green, but he is replaceable. He has a great shot, no question, but he only just started to look confident driving to the basket, and he didn't always finish. Kawahi's game is improving a ton, and could fill in at the 2 guard for short stints if necessary. Beli, Ginobili, and someone yet to be named--I have a feeling we are going to see someone younger and 'new' in that spot--will fill in adequately enough if Green takes a walk.

Good luck to Green if he leaves, but he has already won his last championship if he follows the money.