PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Shopping Splitter

Pages : [1] 2

raybies
06-24-2015, 03:36 PM

I dont't think anyone is surprised here.

Some backround:

Brooklyn is dangling the 29th pick and Mason Plumlee for a lottery pick.
Houston got a potential lottery pick that ended up being the 18th from the Pelicans.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 03:38 PM
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fantendo/images/d/d8/Office-no.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140321171404

stnick2261
06-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Hopefully this happens draft night because Willie Cauley-Stein falls

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2015, 03:41 PM
“I don’t think it’s active shopping,” one executive said, “but teams are informed he’s available.”

peacemaker885
06-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Shopping Splitter + OKC and Pacers (Draft) Rumors = Frank Kaminsky (and possibly LMA)

Mugen
06-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Not a surprise. But trading Splitter is a huge mistake unless the Spurs absolutely hit home runs with their FA haul and draft picks tbh.

RD2191
the front office will regret moving tiago.

Chris
Baynes is ready

bklynspursfan
06-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Not a surprise. But trading Splitter is a huge mistake unless the Spurs absolutely hit home runs with their FA haul and draft picks tbh.

Yup. There are some matchups where he is just too valuable. IE, Portland & Dallas last year

raybies
06-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Willie Cauley-Stein could be available at the end of the lottery. I would take him. Thoughts?

He would be a nice pairing with LA. or any big that's worth signing in free agency...

Chinook
06-24-2015, 03:53 PM
the front office will regret moving tiago.

Of course they will, but I agree with Richie that the Spurs should trade him now for value rather than in July in desperation. Now if the Spurs give up value to move Splitter, that will be a major problem.

stnick2261
06-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Willie Cauley-Stein could be available at the end of the lottery. I would take him. Thoughts?

He would be a nice pairing with LA.

That's exactly the reason I want him and why I would be willing to give up Splitter... LMA + WCS would be quite the pairing

DPG21920
06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
I am legitimately surprised the trade market for Tiago isn't very active. I would think GM's would surely value him highly.

admiralsnackbar
06-24-2015, 03:55 PM
Baynes is ready Not really. Don't get me wrong -- he's talented, but he doesn't make the team significantly better the way Tiago (when healthy) can.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 03:59 PM
I really hate the idea of trading Splitter as much of a china doll as he is. His pick and roll defense is irreplaceable, as we saw in the Clippers series when he wasn't healthy. If Splitter wasn't so injury prone I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading him for Aldridge in a sign and trade, much less salary dumping him at the draft before the Spurs can even contact LMA. I don't know if they're really confident in signing LMA or if Pop has just soured on him after his calf injury wrecked the 2014-15 season.

dabom
06-24-2015, 03:59 PM
FO knows to dump this guy for picks.

raybies
06-24-2015, 04:00 PM
It would just be weird trading Tiago to OKC and then we sign LA and he guards him rather well. Would be setting them up against us. Also he has guarded Duncan in practice for the last how many years. I dunno

DPG21920
06-24-2015, 04:01 PM
No way Pop has soured on him. They may have to take some gambles for LA depending on how much info they have, but I find it hard to believe they would gamble too hard without being pretty damn confident.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:01 PM
It would just be weird trading Tiago to OKC and then we sign LA and he guards him rather well. Would be setting them up against us. Also he has guarded Duncan in practice for the last how many years. I dunno

It wouldn't make much sense for OKC. I can't see them bailing on Kanter and Adams already.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:03 PM
No way Pop has soured on him. They may have to take some gambles for LA depending on how much info they have, but I find it hard to believe they would gamble too hard without being pretty damn confident.

Pop sounded pretty salty when he was talking about a couple of unnamed players not showing up in the playoffs. It's hard to imagine Splitter isn't who he was talking about. I just hope Green wasn't one of them he was pissed at too.

SpurPadre
06-24-2015, 04:03 PM
I am legitimately surprised the trade market for Tiago isn't very active. I would think GM's would surely value him highly.

Legitimate durability questions about him is the main reason why it isn't active.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
Legitimate durability questions about him is the main reason why it isn't active.

Yeah, Splitter was worthless for all but about 15 games this season.

Chinook
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM

I doubt the Spurs trade Splitter until tomorrow at least. They may even have deals lined up already, but they want to see who falls. Could be a surprise like in 2011 where Diaw is traded instead, though.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Tiago is very much overrated for his job on the spurs. He does what he is asked to do very well but the comparisons of what we have seen to what we have had in the past is night and day. Gms don't want to trade offense for a big who is oft injured and can't be used in small ball situations.

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I doubt the Spurs trade Splitter until tomorrow at least. They may even have deals lined up already, but they want to see who falls. Could be a surprise like in 2011 where Diaw is traded instead, though.

Trading Diaw would be such a huge mistake, they're going to desperately need his playmaking off the bench if Manu retires. Plus I can't imagine Boris netting much in trade when it's well known he'll quit on a shitty team like he did with Charlotte.

Mugen
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Trading him away without a virtual wink wink guarantee from LMA is death knell for the Spurs championship chances next year.

DPG21920
06-24-2015, 04:12 PM

You may be right. I have to believe Tiago is valued (look at teams wanting him in FA). While he's been injured, it's been over blown and it's been nothing chronic.

I personally would rather it be Boris moved, but we will see. I would not be surprised if the Spurs have deals lined up, but I think they would trade him today too if it was the right deal. I legitimately think they value cap space and will take their shot - I don't think it hinges on a player dropping as much, but it could.

Chinook
06-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Trading Diaw would be such a huge mistake, they're going to desperately need his playmaking off the bench if Manu retires. Plus I can't imagine Boris netting much in trade when it's well known he'll quit on a shitty team like he did with Charlotte.

The Spurs need a guard to be their play-maker anyway. They need Splitter's defense more. Also, there are some pretty good PFs in the middle of the first, but there aren't a ton of good centers.

BillMc
06-24-2015, 04:15 PM
I really hate the idea of trading Splitter as much of a china doll as he is. His pick and roll defense is irreplaceable, as we saw in the Clippers series when he wasn't healthy. If Splitter wasn't so injury prone I wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading him for Aldridge in a sign and trade, much less salary dumping him at the draft before the Spurs can even contact LMA. I don't know if they're really confident in signing LMA or if Pop has just soured on him after his calf injury wrecked the 2014-15 season.

I agree with everything you say. I also think removing Splitter will make Timmy look older on defense. The one area Tim does seems to have aged the most is his lateral quickness. Tiago compensated for that a lot.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Pop sounded pretty salty when he was talking about a couple of unnamed players not showing up in the playoffs. It's hard to imagine Splitter isn't who he was talking about. I just hope Green wasn't one of them he was pissed at too.

Green has always been on a short string here. I'm sure Pop referenced him when he was talking about players not showing up. Couple of plays during the Clips series Green was nearly at half-court pressing Paul that just left me shaking my head. It's bonehead moves like that that have me wondering about Green.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
So if Tiago is traded how much does this change the amount we can offer to LMA? Considering Duncan and Manu take what has been reported?

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:19 PM
The Spurs need a guard to be their play-maker anyway. They need Splitter's defense more. Also, there are some pretty good PFs in the middle of the first, but there aren't a ton of good centers.

I'd agree if Splitter was someone you could actually depend on being able to make it through a season. But the constant nagging injuries make Splitter a real unknown every year. He was a liability in 2013, a top 10 center in 2014, and completely worthless in 2015. I'd rather take the bird in the hand, especially since the Spurs have no shot at a good playmaking guard if they're able to land Aldridge.

Chinook
Tiago is very much overrated for his job on the spurs. He does what he is asked to do very well but the comparisons of what we have seen to what we have had in the past is night and day. Gms don't want to trade offense for a big who is oft injured and can't be used in small ball situations.

Splitter's fine in small-ball. He's a center and does perfectly well as the only big. In fact, his offense looks great when he can play PnR with three shooters around him. People forget how awesome he was offensively in that Neal/Manu/Jack/Bonner second unit a few years ago.

SpurPadre
Yeah, Splitter was worthless for all but about 15 games this season.

He wasn't 100% when it mattered last year and he'll be 31 next season. It's not a surprise that he's not in high demand as effective as we all know he can be.

Chinook
06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
I'd agree if Splitter was someone you could actually depend on being able to make it through a season. But the constant nagging injuries make Splitter a real unknown every year. He was a liability in 2013, a top 5 center in 2014, and completely worthless in 2015. I'd rather take the bird in the hand, especially since the Spurs have no shot at a good playmaking guard if they're able to land Aldridge.

That's a GROSS over-exaggeration

K...
06-24-2015, 04:23 PM
The market for him should be robust however the timing is important. He's useful to quite a few teams even if he's an injury risk. The problem is that there are guys like cousins, f. Jordan, love, Tyson Chandler, etc who could be available, hopefully the market clears up quick and we can determine his draft day value. Hopefully the spurs don't fire sale any player of value. The status quo is decent opportunity cost

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Was there ever a real explanation of his calf injury?

RD2191
06-24-2015, 04:26 PM
Parkeritis. Mysterious injury that comes and goes at the most inopportune time.

dabom
06-24-2015, 04:27 PM
Parkeritis. Mysterious injury that comes and goes at the most inopportune time. must be contagious.lol

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2015, 04:28 PM
I won't miss him. The guy is made out of glass and even when 100% he can't be used against some of the teams.

spurraider21
06-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Trading him away without a virtual wink wink guarantee from LMA is death knell for the Spurs championship chances next year.
even then, i dont think it makes much sense. if LMA is the plan, its probably smarter to trade Diaw than Splitter

cd98
06-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Well if Splitter is as good as we think he is, Spurs should be getting a lot of phone calls. Trading Splitter probably means they've targeted a big in the draft.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Yep, I like Splitter a lot and his defense is too valuable.

It makes no sense to trade him unless we are about to hit a home run.

DPG21920
06-24-2015, 04:33 PM
even then, i dont think it makes much sense. if LMA is the plan, its probably smarter to trade Diaw than Splitter

Boris is still really good for SA. While I agree in a perfect world trading Boris instead of Tiago makes sense with LMA, it's about value. If teams prefer Tiago (which they will most likely) over Boris and that's what it takes to get LMA, you have to do it.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 04:35 PM
:lol@ not missing Tiago. Dude is the sole reason the Grizz aren't still shitting all over the Spurs.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 04:37 PM
:lol@ not missing Tiago. Dude is the sole reason the Grizz aren't still shitting all over the Spurs.

Helps that bonner isn't the starter either.

apalisoc_9
06-24-2015, 04:37 PM

:lmao

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 04:39 PM
He ain't coming. Change the avi

06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
I won't miss him. The guy is made out of glass and even when 100% he can't be used against some of the teams.

Juan
06-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Splitter has had his minutes managed his whole career and still can't stay healthy. What good is he if he can't stay on the court and he isn't getting any younger. Would people really blame the Spurs for trying to move him if the team doctors are possibly saying that he will always have this lingering leg/calf/back issue as long as he plays? He's had the issue his whole career up to this point. A wise individual would think it would continue to get worse as he ages.

Love Tiago but there's just as much a chance he he's traded and makes a very minimal impact wherever he ends up.

elemento
06-24-2015, 04:43 PM
Appreciate everything he has done for SA and he was essential to SAS 2014 title, but he is a system player totally replaceable.

I'm BR and I don't overrate Splitter as much as some other fellows do.

As long as SA does not have to include assets trading him, I am all for it. Hopefully, it's for something bigger in the off-season.

apalisoc_9
06-24-2015, 04:43 PM
On topic, Have people forgotten how important Splitter is to the Spurs?

Keep him!

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2015, 04:44 PM

tmtcsc
06-24-2015, 04:47 PM
Here was Splitter's reaction when reached for comment:

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/imported_assets/2381688/giphy.gif

baseline bum
06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Here was Splitter's reaction when reached for comment:

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/imported_assets/2381688/giphy.gif

Andthentherewas21
06-24-2015, 04:49 PM

That was my first thought. The Spurs might know or have an idea that its going to be a chronic issue going forward and are trying to get some value/dump the salary while they can. That being said, its not worth dumping him without getting a decent asset/prospect in return. Any of the FA PFs/Cs (Gasol, Love, LMA) are longshots at best, and losing out puts the Spurs in too vulnerable a position. Even if there was only a 25% chance of Splitter being healthy at the start of next season's POs, those odds are still better than the Spurs opening up capspace and hoping for max FA to come to SA.

pgardn
On topic, Have people forgotten how important Splitter is to the Spurs?

Keep him!

We spent a lot of time getting him ready. You think we flippantly just give him away.
Injuries, injuries, injuries.
Where have you been?

Mugen
:lol The Spurs are coming off b2b embarrassing 1st round exits without Splitter tbh. Even the resident ST dummies can't argue that.

Juan

He certainly helped but Leonard had more to do with it tbqh

Juan
06-24-2015, 04:51 PM
:lol The Spurs are coming off b2b embarrassing 1st round exits without Splitter tbh. Even the resident ST dummies can't argue that.

Bringing up the first one is stupid. Spurs didn't even have Leonard, Green, Diaw etc. :lmao totally different team.

ducks
06-24-2015, 04:53 PM
in order for green to perform you have to yell at him
pop knows that and people always think he is on a short lease
but that is what green needs and he knows it and said it

Chinook
06-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Bringing up the first one is stupid. Spurs didn't even have Leonard, Green, Diaw etc. :lmao totally different team.

He means against Dallas.

Mikeanaro
06-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Good, I like Tiago but he is totally expendable.

tmtcsc
06-24-2015, 04:55 PM
If we somehow get Gasol, Memphis won't be an issue. :eyebrows

But seriously - There is nothing worse than gambling your team's future success on a guy who is constantly hampered with freak injuries. When he's good, he's great. When he's gimpy - he's non-existent. He also has an extremely low pain tolerance - physically and mentally. If he hurts, he checks out upstairs. Its sad but I'm happy the Spurs are shopping him.

Juan
06-24-2015, 04:57 PM
I also think Splitters value offensively diminishes if Manu isn't around.

Dex
06-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Let's be realistic. The Spurs aren't shopping Splitter...they are shopping the half a season + maybe playoffs that Splitter is usually available.

Still, the only reason I'd be happy to see Tiago leave is if we are able to get LMA in return.

cd98
06-24-2015, 05:03 PM

I think it's actually Kawhi.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 05:04 PM
I think it's actually Kawhi.
Kawhi doesn't guard Zbo or Gasol, tbh.

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Yep! You are correct there.

dabom
06-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Kawhi is the reason the grzz suck vs the spurs. He fills in all the holeS our perimeter defense was shit before he came.

RD2191
06-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Kawhi is the reason the grzz suck vs the spurs. He fills in all the holeS our perimeter defense was shit before he came.
He is part of it but mostly Spiltter. Against the Grizz anyways..

noles1983
06-24-2015, 05:13 PM
i don't think any sort of deal gets done in regards to shipping splitter. just a guess.

CGD
06-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Well the fact he's available means they're definitely pitching LMA. Maybe LJC can help on PNR defense next year notwithstanding the fact he's giving up size?

apalisoc_9
06-24-2015, 05:20 PM
I'm not surpirsed Parker fans want splitter gone. They usually have low basketball IQ's

RD2191
06-24-2015, 05:21 PM
I'm not surpirsed Parker fans want splitter gone. They usually have low basketball IQ's
Very true.

kobyz
06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
No one will want him, he's soft, lability on offence that make him useless with the small ball way the nba going to...

rjv
06-24-2015, 05:29 PM
the george hill trade proved to me that our FO will trade anyone (regardless of popularity and the resulting lack of depth it may create) if they feel it yields a great investment so i don't discount the rumors, but with the spurs rumors are always just that.

99 Problems
06-24-2015, 05:33 PM
If we shopping Splittter something big is in the making. Unusually big for us.

therealtruth
06-24-2015, 05:35 PM
His durability is the main question but we only need him healthy for the playoffs.

tmtcsc
06-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Please let Willie Cauley-Stein end up with the Spurs. He would be a terrific replacement for Tiago and a nice compliment for Tim/LaMarcus.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-24-2015, 05:42 PM

I'm not surprised fanboys publicly ban themselves from this site and then come back. They usually have low IQ's.

therealtruth
06-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Maybe the Spurs can pull of another Kawhi with a bigman in the draft.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 05:48 PM
The Spurs practically let him sit all season long and there was never an indication on the court where you could say, oh wow he hurt himself there. He spent all season being managed and still came up lame in the playoffs. Spurs see the writing on the wall, small window of effectiveness and a deal where his value can net something positive.

ducks
06-24-2015, 05:51 PM

what is yours?
let me guess you are 20 and know everything

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Bucks, Hawks make sense for Splitter.

Bucks can absorb his salary too without SA taking on any salary.

Thomas82
06-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Please let Willie Cauley-Stein end up with the Spurs. He would be a terrific replacement for Tiago and a nice compliment for Tim/LaMarcus.

I would be amped up if we got him or Myles Turner.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2015, 06:08 PM

Already planning a rebuilding phase?

Mr. Body
06-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Splitter is as much a china doll as Beno Udrih was. Worse even.

Thomas82
06-24-2015, 06:10 PM

Already planning a rebuilding phase?

What??? For the longest time Batum was one of the "untouchables" for the Blazers. I wonder what finally made them want to trade him.

ducks
06-24-2015, 06:11 PM
if splitter could play 60 games 30 minutes a game without getting hurt including playoffs spurs could afford him

99 Problems
06-24-2015, 06:14 PM
They say we're chasing pick 14 from okc. Wonder if we like Bobby Portis?

tholdren
06-24-2015, 06:15 PM
They say we're chasing pick 14 from okc. Wonder if we like Bobby Portis?

Why would okc and Spurs do business?

99 Problems
06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Presti connection maybe?

ducks
06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Why would okc and Spurs do business?
$

K...
06-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Oh man, glass legs splitter with Portland's doctors, oh shit he's gonna die, , !

jesterbobman
06-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Bucks, Hawks make sense for Splitter.

Bucks can absorb his salary too without SA taking on any salary.

While the Hawks thing is technically true (The best kind of true) It seems pretty unlikely. As Millsap and Carroll are early bird free agents, the Hawks are limited in their ability to resign them - particularly for Carroll, given his tiny salary. Splitter in a S & T probably means losing one of those guys. I don't think they'll be willing to do that.

Agree on Bucks making sense.

TXstbobcat
06-24-2015, 06:49 PM

it couldn't be Parkeritis because Splitter didn't experience the rapid unexpected weight gain.

freetiago
06-24-2015, 06:53 PM
No Splitter = first round exits in 2011/2015

A lot of revisionist history in here also. He didn't play his first 2 seasons because of Pops obessions with Blair and Bonner. It wasn't until Blair got hurt in 2012 that he became the starter and moved up in the rotation. In 2013 he played 81 games. Last year he had minor injuries that resulted in about 20 missed games throughout the season. This year he had was the only major injury.

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 07:09 PM
No Splitter = first round exits in 2011/2015

A lot of revisionist history in here also. He didn't play his first 2 seasons because of Pops obessions with Blair and Bonner. It wasn't until Blair got hurt in 2012 that he became the starter and moved up in the rotation. In 2013 he played 81 games. Last year he had minor injuries that resulted in about 20 missed games throughout the season. This year he had was the only major injury.

Those who are diminishing his value are wrong, but if the Spurs want to go after a big FA then something has to give. The Spurs could sacrifice Green (and may still), but they're better positioned to absorb the loss of Splitter both in who they have on the roster and in what they're going after in FA.

mingus
06-24-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't like it. Splitter is injury prone, but he's played late into the playoffs the last 3/4 years. Dude was beat up. He'll be fresh for next year though, and I think he stands a better chance of staying healthy. He's one of the top 3-5 defenders at his position in the league. Huge part of our defense when healthy.

Its why I think the Spurs have to do everything in their power to retain Splitter, Green and Leonard. Defensively, it gives us a chance in almost every game.

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 07:19 PM
I don't like it. Splitter is injury prone, but he's played late into the playoffs the last 3/4 years. Dude was beat up. He'll be fresh for next year though, and I think he stands a better chance of staying healthy. He's one of the top 3-5 defenders at his position in the league. Huge part of our defense when healthy.

Its why I think the Spurs have to do everything in their power to retain Splitter, Green and Leonard. Defensively, it gives us a chance in almost every game.

Like it or not, they seem intent to enter the FA frenzy and make a splash. In order to do that, they have to sacrifice current roster flexibility. Can't have both.

ElNono
06-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Mentioned it made the most sense a month or two ago... Boris is the more versatile player, and Splitter has the bigger contract...

TD 21
06-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Baynes is ready

I wouldn't bring him back either way. He's going to want a decent contract at this point and I wouldn't commit one to him.

If Splitter is traded as a means to facilitate an Aldridge signing, they're going to need a C with a capacity to be greater than a 4th big, which is the best Baynes will ever be. Presuming they signed and traded for Aldridge, so as to stay over the cap and retain the MLE, I'd use it on a backup C.

If they miss on Aldridge, I'd turn to West, who they could sign without moving anyone significant.

I don't get the Splitter debate. If it were to trade Diaw instead, I could at least understand the argument (though if the Spurs were open to doing this, we'd have likely heard by now). But if it's keep him and either don't sign Aldridge or retain Green, then it's insane. They should clearly both be greater priorities.

ElNono
06-24-2015, 07:31 PM
Hope this doesn't mean the Spurs signing Danny for $12m, then adding Tiago and S&T for LMA...

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Hope this doesn't mean the Spurs signing Danny for $12m, then adding Tiago and S&T for LMA...

That would be poor management

monkeypunk
06-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Like it or not, they seem intent to enter the FA frenzy and make a splash. In order to do that, they have to sacrifice current roster flexibility. Can't have both.

Yep and I think they are going balls out (at least as far as SAS can) to send Tim and Manu out in style. Perhaps a gentlemen's agreement that the two will come back for another season if the front office makes actual impactful changes to the roster to maximize their odds of winning one last time.

ElNono
06-24-2015, 07:34 PM
That would be poor management

That might be what Portland wants for a S&T... you never know. But that would explain why the Spurs would float that Splitter is "available" and see if they can get a better deal from somebody else, or at least gauge interest.

Strategic
06-24-2015, 07:53 PM
It wouldn't make much sense for OKC. I can't see them bailing on Kanter and Adams already.Those two plus Ibaka and Collison looks like they would be more interested in Diaw for a fifth big. Can't see Spurs making that deal either.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2015, 08:31 PM
The Spurs FO undoubtedly has better info on Splitter's injuries and his physical degradation than anyone else. Sure that's playing into this also.

Strategic
06-24-2015, 08:52 PM
We spent a lot of time getting him ready. You think we flippantly just give him away.
Injuries, injuries, injuries.
Where have you been?Makes me wonder if Tiago could even pass a physical for a trade scenerio?

MaNu4Tres
06-24-2015, 08:59 PM
The Spurs FO undoubtedly has better info on Splitter's injuries and his physical degradation than anyone else. Sure that's playing into this also.

You're looking too much into it. Splitter is fine (health wise).

Its more about Spurs creating more cap space to improve for next year and the future.

lmbebo
06-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Hope he gets traded. When he's playing well, I'd love him on the team, but he just seems like he's injured too often.

spurraider21
06-24-2015, 09:04 PM
What??? For the longest time Batum was one of the "untouchables" for the Blazers. I wonder what finally made them want to trade him.
his perennial underperforming, probably

Uriel
06-24-2015, 09:21 PM
So with Batum and Afflalo gone, ESPN is reporting that Aldridge is expected to leave the Blazers. Meanwhile, the SA Express-News is now reporting that the Spurs are looking to trade Splitter to clear enough cap space to sign a max free agent. Meanwhile, multiple news outlets, from ESPN, to CBS Sports, to Yahoo! Sports have reported that the Spurs are expected to "pursue Aldridge in free agency" and that the Spurs are "at or near the top of Aldridge's list."

It doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 09:24 PM
So with Batum and Afflalo gone, ESPN is reporting that Aldridge is expected to leave the Blazers. Meanwhile, the SA Express-News is now reporting that the Spurs are looking to trade Splitter to clear enough cap space to sign a max free agent. Meanwhile, multiple news outlets, from ESPN, to CBS Sports, to Yahoo! Sports have reported that the Spurs are expected to "pursue Aldridge in free agency" and that the Spurs are "at or near the top of Aldridge's list."

Exciting but won't get my hopes up. Waiting for some team to swoop in and make some crazy offer

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 09:25 PM

I saw one report that says SA isn't high on the list and he prefers the Mavs. I believe this holistically and conclusively invalidates your logical deductions.

testies
06-24-2015, 09:25 PM
I don't like this.. Splitter is liked by the players, nice dude.. The whole "Spurs don't do trades" philosophy and then you trade the most likeable guy in the team? That didn't go too well in Celtics when they traded Porkins

K...
06-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Man,, people talk about Memphis but zbo ain't young no more and we should beat them with kawhi anyway. Yes splitter going will suck but look at the current league. We need to upgrade talent at several positions and losing a guy like splitter who is already at his peak with this team could make sense if we get a more talented replacement.

It's all about risk, trades, and opportunity costs. You'd bitch if the spurs didn't make trades you'd bitch of they did. I'm not a young age spurs fan ice seen you whiners make all the dumb arguments

K...
06-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I don't like this.. Splitter is liked by the players, nice dude.. The whole "Spurs don't do trades" philosophy and then you trade the most likeable guy in the team? That didn't go too well in Celtics when they traded Porkins

We traded hill for an autistic freak. It was fabulous.

Uriel
06-24-2015, 09:34 PM
I saw one report that says SA isn't high on the list and he prefers the Mavs. I believe this holistically and conclusively invalidates your logical deductions.
:lol

I'd put the word of Marc Stein, Adrian Wojnarowski, and Ken Berger's over that of Ric Bucher's any day.

timtonymanu
06-24-2015, 09:35 PM

It's in another thread but there was a link to clutchfans (Rockets forum) and a reliable source that apparently knows a couple of GMs said that Aldridge was likely to choose the Spurs. That could all change though, imo if the money isn't there.

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Spurs traded George Hill, who Pop once called his favorite player. They needed to get better on the wing and ended up with a guy named Kawhi Leonard. The NBA is a business and the goal is to hang banners from the rafters. If the Spurs think they can improve by trading Splitter they shouldn't, and won't, hesitate.

testies
06-24-2015, 09:37 PM

if we have hill, we could have benched porker and won 2015 title

BillMc
06-24-2015, 09:38 PM

I'd put the word of Marc Stein, Adrian Wojnarowski, and Ken Berger's over that of Ric Bucher's any day.

Amen

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 09:46 PM

Right. Turned Hill into a Finals MVP and the premier wing defender in the NBA. I'd say that worked out.

pgardn
06-24-2015, 09:51 PM

So who would have played PG?

Hoops Czar
06-24-2015, 10:06 PM

Then, you're not a genius. The Spurs can't just dump Splitter and not take anything back in return. The only thing they could do is a s&t with Portland involving LMA and Splitter however, it's doubtful LMA would agree to play for the Spurs. If anything, the Spurs are probably trying to move up in the draft and are dangling Splitter in hopes they can snag a lottery pick. That alone deserves a LOL. There aren't too many players that are more overrated league-wide than Splitter. I doubt he'll fish a premium can of worms on the open market.

K...
06-24-2015, 10:08 PM

No kawhi no 2014 or 2015. No Danny green either since hill would stall minutes at the 2. Trust the FO my man save your melt down till after draft

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 10:13 PM
No kawhi no 2014 or 2015. No Danny green either since hill would stall minutes at the 2. Trust the FO my man save your melt down till after draft

Jefferson probably finishes out his contract for lack of other options as well. Yet another reason it was an amazing deal.

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 10:16 PM
Then, you're not a genius. The Spurs can't just dump Splitter and not take anything back in return. The only way thing they could do is a s&t with Portland involving LMA and Splitter however, it's doubtful LMA would agree to play for the Spurs. If anything, the Spurs are probably trying to move up in the draft and are dangling Splitter in hopes they can land a lottery pick. That alone deserves a LOL. There aren't too many players that are more overrated league-wide than Splitter. has been. I doubt he'll fish a premium can of worms on the open market.

The Spurs can trade Splitter to any team that has the requisite cap space to take him on and not receive equal salary in return. I'm not sure whether GMs think he's worthy of a mid-first pick, but I suspect that's why the feelers are out. It at least gives the indication they're open to moving him, and you can reasonably say the purpose of moving him would be to open up cap space to pursue a max FA like Aldridge.

Sean Cagney
06-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Spurs traded George Hill, who Pop once called his favorite player. They needed to get better on the wing and ended up with a guy named Kawhi Leonard. The NBA is a business and the goal is to hang banners from the rafters. If the Spurs think they can improve by trading Splitter they shouldn't, and won't, hesitate.

Yes sir, agreed.

lmbebo
06-24-2015, 10:19 PM
The Spurs can trade Splitter to any team that has the requisite cap space to take him on and not receive equal salary in return. I'm not sure whether GMs think he's worthy of a mid-first pick, but I suspect that's why the feelers are out. It at least gives the indication they're open to moving him, and you can reasonably say the purpose of moving him would be to open up cap space to pursue a max FA like Aldridge.Would Philly take him? Doubtful. But maybe for a 2nd round pick?

AFBlue
06-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Would Philly take him? Doubtful. But maybe for a 2nd round pick?

He's probably more valuable as a sign-and-trade asset than a pure salary dump, but I'm sure some team would happily take him on if the Spurs chose that route. He's a serviceable big on a market-level deal...shouldn't be hard to move if the Spurs are motivated to do so.

Andthentherewas21
06-24-2015, 10:26 PM

Serious question, do you have any links to the articles? I just haven't been able to come across any within the last month. The Spurs definitely make the most sense and several articles have that stated the Spurs as possible target. But I only remember him mentioning his choices in one or two and I think Dallas was at the top earlier this month (the Spurs were supposedly at the top in May). Just curious if anyone has links.

Uriel
06-24-2015, 10:48 PM
In a perfect scenario, the Spurs have a full understanding of the futures of Duncan, Ginobili and Danny Green when they walk into a 12:01 a.m. ET meeting on July 1 with Leonard and his agent, Brian Elfus, in Los Angeles. The Spurs will offer Leonard a full maximum contract extension, get a commitment and turn themselves toward prying Aldridge back to his Texas roots... It is a testament to the regime of Portland general manager Neil Olshey, the commitment of owner Paul Allen, that the most credible threat to lose Aldridge comes out of San Antonio, the best franchise in sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-kawhi-leonard-will-be-the-nba-s-most-intriguing-free-agent-recruiter-this-summer-084241791.html

One candidate could be LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge), given what league sources describe as strong mutual interest between the All-Star power forward and Spurs officials to explore every opportunity to bring Aldridge back to Texas this summer... One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3233/tiago-splitter) to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3816/summer-scoop-san-antonio-spurs

[The] consistent word on the personnel grapevine at the minute informs us that San Antonio and Dallas not only both believe they have a real shot at signing him but are also legitimately in Aldridge's thoughts... [Sources] insist -- at, yes, this early juncture -- that San Antonio sits near or at the top of Aldridge's list.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3803/steins-scoop-next-for-blazers-aldridge

The free-agent plan for the Spurs is to quickly agree on a five-year max deal with Leonard – “It will be a short conversation,” one person with knowledge of the dynamics said – and empower Leonard to join Duncan in an all-out recruitment of All-Star free agent LaMarcus Aldridge, league sources told CBSSports.com... Aldridge, 29, will strongly consider doing a two-year deal with a player option for '16-'17 that would get him back to the market in a position to make tens of millions more at the new max. Even in the Spurs' dream scenario – Duncan and Leonard come back and successfully recruit Aldridge – they will have a hard time retaining free agent Danny Green, who is expected to command $10-$12 million on the open market – which, in 2016, will look like a bargain.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25189492/playoff-buzz-spurs-aim-to-bring-back-duncan-leonard-and-go-after-aldridge

Portland Trail Blazers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/por/portland-trail-blazers), furthermore, are likely to pursue [Kevin Love] in the event that LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge) -- as many league executives expect -- flees the Blazers in free agency.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13142511/kevin-love-opts-contract-cleveland-cavaliers-sources

Russ
06-24-2015, 10:51 PM
If the Spurs free cap space by shedding Splitter but can't get LMA . . .

Would they consider a run at DeAndre Jordan? (Apparently Dallas has DeAndre on its radar as a FA.)

Malik Hairston
06-24-2015, 11:12 PM

Would they consider a run at DeAndre Jordan? (Apparently Dallas has DeAndre on its radar as a FA.)

Would be a terrible fit IMO..

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 11:14 PM

Maybe Brook Lopez

Hoops Czar
06-24-2015, 11:14 PM
The Spurs can trade Splitter to any team that has the requisite cap space to take him on and not receive equal salary in return. I'm not sure whether GMs think he's worthy of a mid-first pick, but I suspect that's why the feelers are out. It at least gives the indication they're open to moving him, and you can reasonably say the purpose of moving him would be to open up cap space to pursue a max FA like Aldridge.

Reasonable assumptions aside, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell the Spurs would actually salary dump Splitter unless they had an agreement in principle with another big like Aldridge or love. I'd say there's even less than a snowball's chance in hell that either would agree to sign with the Spurs. Thus, I don't think the Spurs are really that serious about moving Splitter unless some unsuspecting GM wows them with an offer they can't refuse (GM would have to be stone drunk).

jeebus
06-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Shitter had his chance. He pretty much had off the entire season, then absolutely shit the bed come playoffs. His best years are behind him and he's had that mystery injury every season the past few years. The writing was on the wall when Pop started playing MNB more during the season, maybe hoping to spark a fire under Shitter. All it did though was make his Parkeritis more irritated.

Uriel
06-24-2015, 11:51 PM

TheGoldStandard
06-24-2015, 11:53 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA... That would be funny

KaiRMD1
06-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Fuck, I really hope we don't lose Splitter

Yuixafun
06-25-2015, 12:28 AM
Oh man, glass legs splitter with Portland's doctors, oh shit he's gonna die, , !

Oh man almost made me spit out my midnight grub

KaiRMD1
06-25-2015, 01:41 AM

DeAndre is terribly overrated, he'd be a terrible fit for us.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2015, 01:43 AM

jag
06-25-2015, 06:54 AM
Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxH1-fPeXo

Seventyniner
06-25-2015, 08:00 AM
Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxH1-fPeXo

Too bad it was a goaltend.

jag
06-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Too bad it was a goaltend.

On your official score sheet or the NBA's?

Seventyniner
06-25-2015, 08:47 AM
On your official score sheet or the NBA's?

On the video. Hard to call something a great play when it was basically luck (the refs missing it) that allowed it to count. It would be like hitting a shot with the ball on your fingertips at 0.0 before the days of replay.

spurspokesman
06-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Helps that bonner isn't the starter either.
This.

Capt Bringdown
06-25-2015, 12:01 PM
A healthy and effective Tiago in the post-season is a fluke. It's wonderful when it happens, but you sure can't count on him.

gambit1990
06-25-2015, 12:14 PM
can't seem to stay healthy. not a fan of his awkward, soft, hook-like shot attempts.

r0drig0lac
06-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Prok have it

TheGoldStandard
06-25-2015, 12:55 PM
Prok have it

Yup, he already has men waiting at Sasha's parents house if he says no

buttsR4rebounding
06-25-2015, 03:41 PM
The best possible scenario for the Spurs is to do a sign-and-trade with Portland for Aldridge. They are said to be looking for an established big. Portland was interested in Splitter 2 years ago. Unless Portland has soured on him since this is the only way to keep get Aldridge, keep Green and not pay Tim and Manu some ridiculous salaries.

cd98
06-25-2015, 04:00 PM
If Blazers are tanking, doubt they want Splitter. He's the best fit for a franchise that is contending.

james evans
06-25-2015, 04:06 PM
if Shitter leaves the spurs, we won't hear from him again

tholdren
06-25-2015, 04:33 PM
if Shitter leaves the spurs, we won't hear from him again
But he's an elite defender

TheGoldStandard
06-25-2015, 04:34 PM
But he's an elite defender

He'll battle calf injuries and foot injuries pretty soon.

kobyz
06-25-2015, 05:44 PM
Spurs will need to include at least their 26 pick to unload splitter...

TD 21
06-25-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm not concerned with the supposed "tepid" interest. There's a lot of quality centers available in free agency (Gasol, Jordan, Chandler, the Lopez', Asik, Koufos) and the teams interested in them will obviously exhaust those options first. Whoever misses will then inevitably pivot to Splitter, at which point I'd expect a solid return.

MaNu4Tres
06-25-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm not concerned with the supposed "tepid" interest. There's a lot of quality centers available in free agency (Gasol, Jordan, Chandler, the Lopez', Asik, Koufos) and the teams interested in them will obviously exhaust those options first. Whoever misses will then inevitably pivot to Splitter, at which point I'd expect a solid return.

But SA has to deal him before they sign Aldridge, no?

So a trade has to be either tonight or the day Aldridge is sign and traded to SA.

This hypothetical is if Aldridge comes to SA, which isn't likely because Murphys Law always prevails with SA and Free Agency.

Beaverfuzz
06-25-2015, 08:42 PM
He'll battle calf injuries and foot injuries pretty soon.

How close is pretty soon, like in a week? :lol :bobo

noles1983
06-25-2015, 08:43 PM
nobody wants this pos. Vasquez and hardaway can be traded but not this dipshit.

tmtcsc
06-25-2015, 08:45 PM
A healthy and effective Tiago in the post-season is a fluke. It's wonderful when it happens, but you sure can't count on him.

:bobo

TheGreatYacht
06-25-2015, 08:50 PM

TheGoldStandard
06-25-2015, 08:52 PM
They probably asked the first 5 in the draft and that's all

Mr. Body
06-25-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm calling they have to use a pick to get rid of Splitter for the hell of it.

-21-
06-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Well, no trade so far and the we're halfway through the draft. What does this mean?

Mr. Body
06-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Well, no trade so far and the we're halfway through the draft. What does this mean?

Denizens thinking Splitter was worth a draft pick were wrong.

cd98
06-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Yikes, I guess we'll be giving him away for nothing. Sad. Salary dump. That's like when he got blocked by LeBron in 2013 NBA Finals.

loveforthegame
06-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Like they ever shopped him.

NASpurs
06-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Spurs must had been shopping Splitter at the flea market

wildchild
06-26-2015, 01:17 AM

If the Spurs can't trade Tiago -injury prone, age, whatever- they should let Danny walk to sign a big name FA?.

I really love Patty and Boris, but I'd rather trade them to clear cap space, than lose Danny.

testies
06-26-2015, 01:20 AM

it doesn't help that moon face wasted 2 perfectly healthy Splitter post seasons by prefering to play McDyess, Blair and other scrubs

cjw
06-26-2015, 01:27 AM
Likely better value in a 2016 first rounder anyway. Why would they trade for a pick this year unless they loved someone at that spot + without any guarantee from LMA? Might as well wait and see if it happens.

Richie
06-26-2015, 02:03 AM
I don't see a landing spot for Splitter outside of Atlanta, who can't take him as they don't have Carrolls bird rights. He's only worthwhile for a contender, and I don't know which contender needs him. The Bucks need size to compliment the front court duo of Giannis/Parker and have cap room, also the Celtics is an option but it sounds like they'll be chasing free agents.

Top 20 protected pick from Bucks would be a good deal.

lcroock
06-26-2015, 03:04 AM
What about amnestying Tiago? I doubt it would happen this year but next year could be a possibility...eating one year of salary might be worth it if there is a max player willing to come on board.

cjw
06-26-2015, 09:07 AM
What about amnestying Tiago? I doubt it would happen this year but next year could be a possibility...eating one year of salary might be worth it if there is a max player willing to come on board.

Are you serious? Tiago has a great contract for a big. Only reason he hasn't been traded is (1) they haven't gotten ideal package, (2) Spurs don't have leverage here because teams know they need to clear room for LMA or (3) LMA isn't in the cards and they're rolling with the same roster.

Not to mention nobody on the roster can be amnestied anymore.

tholdren
06-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Are you serious? Tiago has a great contract for a big. Only reason he hasn't been traded is (1) they haven't gotten ideal package, (2) Spurs don't have leverage here because teams know they need to clear room for LMA or (3) LMA isn't in the cards and they're rolling with the same roster.

Not to mention nobody on the roster can be amnestied anymore.
He's paid more than Boris, which shouldn't be the case. Then you have Green who is 3x the player splitter is, so I assume that Green has to get more than 8.5 a year, right? Same with Patty, and virtually everyone else. Hell, he only made 1.5 less than Tim, and has probably been 1/50th of the player.

Tiago should have been signed and traded when his stock was high. He is never a standalone, or centerpiece. Why go balls deep for someone who is so dependent on MULTIPLE other players to be semi productive?

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2015, 09:34 AM
The issue is nobody in the league needs him. They may like what he does but at the end of the day he's not going to be dealt unless we include something else.

K...
06-26-2015, 09:41 AM
The issue is nobody in the league needs him. They may like what he does but at the end of the day he's not going to be dealt unless we include something else.

Lol. He could be traded for other salary easily . The issue is trying to salary dump. Getting a 2016 pick is probably the cost now.

dabom
06-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Tiagos salary is a positive for any team taking him.

cjw
06-26-2015, 02:50 PM
Tiagos salary is a positive for any team taking him.

Exactly. Once free agency passes, he is a HUGE asset at his salary. Issue is, teams have the Spurs by their balls right now because they know they need to clear cap space.

K...
06-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Exactly. Once free agency passes, he is a HUGE asset at his salary. Issue is, teams have the Spurs by their balls right now because they know they need to clear cap space.

There is also some chance lma, deandre, or love are willing to sign for random teams. Once that shakes down teams will look at tiago. But just think, this draft has a lot of value in the mid teens to early 20s. So teams over valued their picks. That hurt the spurs odds of getting a higher pick. Also their decision not to take salary probably fits here

FuzzyLumpkins
06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
It has been widely assumed in league circles that the Spurs would be forced to try to trade veteran forward Tiago Splitter to help create the needed salary-cap flexibility to handle the max deals San Antonio has earmarked for Leonard (and the likes of Aldridge or Memphis' Marc Gasol) and still have room to accommodate Duncan and Ginobili at reduced salaries, if the latter two choose to play on. But sources told ESPN.com that the Spurs actually rebuffed trade interest from teams hoping to pry Splitter away in conjunction with Thursday's NBA draft, raising the possibility that Splitter might stick around.

The futures are less clear for Spurs sharpshooters Danny Green and Marco Belinelli, two unrestricted free agents who played pivotal roles off the bench in helping San Antonio make back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2013 and 2014 -- and win it all in '14 in a second consecutive Finals showdown with the Miami Heat.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13154833/san-antonio-spurs-think-tim-duncan-likely-return-19th-nba-season

:lol thinking we had to use the draft pick to 'dump' Splitter.

ducks
06-26-2015, 05:02 PM
One option to create flexibility would be to deal Tiago Splitter, who earns $8.5 million next season. However, Stein reports that the Spurs rebuffed offers for Splitter during Thursday's draft.

But the Spurs will likely part ways with their other free agents, which includes Cory Joseph, Marco Belinelli, and Danny Green. There's simply not enough money to re-sign everyone.

Mr. Body
06-26-2015, 05:03 PM
I'd have to think Splitter has a lot of value. He's cheap for his position, is a fine defender, doesn't make waves. He's injury prone, sure, but he's a championship level center.

SpurSwag
06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I definitely don't wanna see him go unless we get LMA/Marc Gasol.

Mr. Body
06-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Since Philly is stockpiling centers, we should trade Splitter for the rights to Dario Saric.

BillMc
06-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I definitely don't wanna see him go unless we get LMA/Marc Gasol.

Agreed

Uriel
06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13154833/san-antonio-spurs-think-tim-duncan-likely-return-19th-nba-season

:lol thinking we had to use the draft pick to 'dump' Splitter.
The wording of Stein's article says nothing about whether the Spurs would be the one giving up the draft pick or the other way around. For all you know, other teams' GM's called up RC and said, "We'll take Splitter off your hands if you give us your first round pick." That would be still be considered rebuffing "trade interest from teams hoping to pry Splitter away in conjunction with Thursday's NBA draft."

K...
06-26-2015, 09:28 PM
The wording of Stein's article says nothing about whether the Spurs would be the one giving up the draft pick or the other way around. For all you know, other teams' GM's called up RC and said, "We'll take Splitter off your hands if you give us your first round pick." That would be still be considered rebuffing "trade interest from teams hoping to pry Splitter away in conjunction with Thursday's NBA draft."

Your interpretation flies in the face of common sense. Only bad contracts require sweeteners. Trust me, splitter is sweet enough. The issue is that the spurs and v other teams have specific timing. There's no rush until closer to the FA signing period

FuzzyLumpkins
06-26-2015, 09:28 PM

Multiple teams bid. You can try and mitigate it all you like.

buttsR4rebounding
06-27-2015, 02:10 PM

You are clueless. We know that the Spurs rebuffed offers for him on draft night. It is clear to anyone with half a brain that the Spurs will be doing a sign -and -trade for Aldridge using Splitter. This may give them the chance to keep Green.

kaji157
06-27-2015, 03:04 PM
I think nobody is taking into account that given how last playoffs panned out and with lots of injuries, injury prone players may not get the most attention this year.

buttsR4rebounding
06-27-2015, 05:00 PM
I think nobody is taking into account that given how last playoffs panned out and with lots of injuries, injury prone players may not get the most attention this year.

Do you mean they will discount the injuries or discount the players? I

TD 21
06-27-2015, 05:19 PM
But SA has to deal him before they sign Aldridge, no?

So a trade has to be either tonight or the day Aldridge is sign and traded to SA.

This hypothetical is if Aldridge comes to SA, which isn't likely because Murphys Law always prevails with SA and Free Agency.

Unless he's involved in a sign and trade, technically yes, but they could (and will, if he commits) still reach a verbal agreement with Aldridge first before pulling the trigger on a Splitter trade.

In the Duncan era, the Spurs have only been in this position once and this is different than '03, for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam, plus one that hasn't: The Spurs' credibility has never been greater.

Almost all the other misses were predictable, but this one isn't. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll work out, but every credible indication we have suggests something is going to have to change for it not to.

montgod
06-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Unless he's involved in a sign and trade, technically yes, but they could (and will, if he commits) still reach a verbal agreement with Aldridge first before pulling the trigger. I don't know why anyone ever thought there was/is even a chance of Splitter being traded before this.

In the Duncan era, the Spurs have only been in this position once and this is different than '03, for all the reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam, plus one that hasn't: The Spurs' credibility has never been greater.

Almost all the other misses were predictable, like the Gasol one last summer. He was never coming for the MLE, to play an ancillary role offensively and guard PF's. This one is the exact opposite. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll work out, but every credible indication we have suggests something is going to have to change for him not to.

Fully agree. To base trading a player based on the rumor of LMA coming would be ignorant. Sounds like something the Mavs and Hou would do (i.e. clearing cap room for Howard, etc.) and then leaving w/an empty weakened roster when they don't sign lol!

Steve-O-Matic
06-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Since Philly is stockpiling centers, we should trade Splitter for the rights to Dario Saric.
That won't be enough for Sam Hinkie. We'd have to include a 2nd round pick in 2037 as well to get it done.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 07:57 PM
I do wonder if Boston drafted Rozier because that's who the Spurs wanted for Splitter. It seems possible to me. He's a short SG, but he's a defensive specialist, kinda like an Avery Bradley. Would be great to put next to Manu and Anderson.

Spurs manage to execute a S&T for Aldridge using Mills, Williams and Splitter. That would allow the team to take back $18.5 Million in salary, so almost what LMA's max is. Spurs shunt off Splitter to Boston for the rights to Rozier. They trade Mills to some other team (IDK maybe LA for Nance now that he and Kobe don't seem like they're going to work out or Pacers for Young and a future second or Atlanta for a future first). They give Portland a first and the rights to Thomas or Bertans while sending back no salary.

Then they tender/re-sign Joseph, Baynes and Leonard. Then they re-sign Green, Ginobili and Duncan.

PG: Parker, Joseph, Rozier
SG: Green, Ginobili, some scrub like Hanga
SF: Leonard, Anderson, LJC
PF: Aldridge, Diaw, Nance
C: Duncan, Baynes, LaLanne.

That team is probably pushing the apron. But that's just what you have to do during Tim's last year or two. Tons or room to grow.

raybies
06-27-2015, 08:02 PM
I do wonder if Boston drafted Rozier because that's who the Spurs wanted for Splitter. It seems possible to me. He's a short SG, but he's a defensive specialist, kinda like an Avery Bradley. Would be great to put next to Manu and Anderson.

Spurs manage to execute a S&T for Aldridge using Mills, Williams and Splitter. That would allow the team to take back $18.5 Million in salary, so almost what LMA's max is. Spurs shunt off Splitter to Boston for the rights to Rozier. They trade Mills to some other team (IDK maybe LA for Nance now that he and Kobe don't seem like they're going to work out or Pacers for Young and a future second or Atlanta for a future first). They give Portland a first and the rights to Thomas or Bertans while sending back no salary.

Then they tender/re-sign Joseph, Baynes and Leonard. Then they re-sign Green, Ginobili and Duncan.

That team is probably pushing the apron. But that's just what you have to do during Tim's last year or two. Tons or room to grow.

Nice scenario. This offseason could be really exciting. A lot could happen. Can't wait.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 08:11 PM
The idea for Boston, btb, would be that they're apparently looking for a true center to try to round out their roster to pursue Love. Getting Splitter locked in a $8.5 Million is probably a lot more attractive for them than paying Robin Lopez $15 Million and potentially having to may some team a first or two to move Wallace to open up max cap space again.

I'd probably take Hunter and Thornton for Splitter instead of Rozier if need be, especially since those guys don't count for much against the cap. A Splitter for Hunter trade shaves off $7.7 Million from the cap.

Ditty
06-27-2015, 08:15 PM

Chinook I proposed this sign and trade in the LA thread, is this possible?

Love to Portland, Splitter to Cleveland, Aldridge and Kaun to SA, then Spurs re-signing Green, Leonard, Ginobili, Duncan, Joseph and Baynes

Chinook
06-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Chinook I proposed this sign and trade in the LA thread, is this possible?

Love to Portland, Splitter to Cleveland, Aldridge and Kaun to SA, then Spurs re-signing Green, Leonard, Ginobili, Duncan, Joseph and Baynes

They would need to also include Mills and Williams to match salaries. If the Spurs are using cap space to sign Aldridge (which is the case in this scenario), then they need assets from Cleveland for Splitter, since SA gains nothing by agreeing to a sign-and-trade on it's own. Portland also gains nothing by doing this trade, so I doubt they go for it. The Cavs would have to pay both to make it happen, and of course they wouldn't, because they have the Haywood contract.

I'd consider this more viable.

Spurs trade Diaw and Mills to Cleveland for Christmas and Harris and two seconds to Portland for Aldridge.

Cleveland trades Christmas, Harris and Haywood for Mills and Diaw

Portland trades Aldridge ($17.5 Million) for Haywood, Reggie Williams, Harris and two seconds.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2015, 08:59 PM

Signing Duncan and Gino is guaranteed to be a reduction from what their hold is. The question is how much. They can do that at any point they like.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Signing Duncan and Gino is guaranteed to be a reduction from what their hold is. The question is how much. They can do that at any point they like.

In the scenario you quoted, the holds don't matter, because the Spurs never go under the cap. That's the whole reason why they give Portland assets.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-27-2015, 09:33 PM
In the scenario you quoted, the holds don't matter, because the Spurs never go under the cap. That's the whole reason why they give Portland assets.

Either way, Gino and Duncan are likely to resign or retire before any other moves are made. I just hope that the ownership group is willing to pay some luxury tax before the cap balloons. If they are using next seasons cap figure being under that luxury tax threshold as the benchmark they could put together a pretty nice roster in this years dollars.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Either way, Gino and Duncan are likely to resign or retire before any other moves are made. I just hope that the ownership group is willing to pay some luxury tax before the cap balloons. If they are using next seasons cap figure being under that luxury tax threshold as the benchmark they could put together a pretty nice roster in this years dollars.

I think they'd be willing to go up to the apron for that team, since it might be Tim's last year. And going that high might be necessary depending on what everyone wants. Trading Mills in the S&T, even if a guy like Rozier comes back pretty much makes Joseph a must-keep. Even if they let Baynes go, you'd think getting a strong center would be a priority for them to back up Duncan. So they'll probably have to spend there as well.

One year of first-level tax would probably be worth it, especially since it's possible that the Spurs would actually have max cap space in 2016 even in this scenario.

TD 21
06-27-2015, 10:01 PM

But if the Spurs keep Joseph and lose Mills, I'd imagine they'd want a third PG in the mold of Mills, not Joseph. And Rozier would be a terrible fit next to Ginobili and Anderson, as it would leave the 2nd unit without a knockdown shooter and much scoring in general.

Hunter and one of their 37 2nds due in the next few years, that projects to be in the 30's, would be a better return. A chance at two back end rotation players, one of whom could fill an immediate hole.

The Celtics seem desperate though. I could easily see them overpaying R. Lopez or Koufos.

The following is probably the best case scenario . . .

Aldridge/Diaw
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Baynes
Green/Ginobili
Parker/Joseph

Some minimum options to flesh out roster: Bonner, Jenkins, Larkin, Jordan, Cotton (if waived), Hamilton (Justin, if waived), Franklin (if waived).

Chinook
06-27-2015, 10:16 PM
But if the Spurs keep Joseph and lose Mills, I'd imagine they'd want a third PG in the mold of Mills, not Joseph.

Nah. I don't think they're looking to run the back-up PG spot by committee again. I would imagine Rozier sits on the bench for a year or two.

And Rozier would be a terrible fit next to Ginobili and Anderson, as it would leave the 2nd unit without a knockdown shooter and much scoring in general.

It would gain in penetration in defensive flexibility, though. Rozier, LJC and LaLane are all guys who have the chance to be plus defenders and could get spot minutes during the regular season due to that. Ideally, when Manu leaves the Spurs would look for a shooter to take that spot.

Hunter and one of their 37 2nds due in the next few years, that projects to be in the 30's, would be a better return. A chance at two back end rotation players, one of whom could fill an immediate hole.

I don't hate the idea of Hunter at all, obviously, but I'd want something more than just a nameless second, though. Maybe even Minny's first, since that's almost guaranteed to be two high seconds and as a result is the least valuable to Boston's upcoming picks.

The Celtics seem desperate though. I could easily see them overpaying R. Lopez or Koufos.

I think that's their plan right now. But they want that center to try to lure Love, so they can't or at least shouldn't spend so much money that they have to pay more just to move Wallace. Splitter is cheap enough to keep flexibility.

The following is probably the best case scenario . . .

Aldridge/Diaw
Leonard/Anderson
Duncan/Baynes
Green/Ginobili
Parker/Joseph

That and they'd still have the full MLE and LLE up until they reach the apron. They can get a wing to spell Manu and Anderson and/or a big if they don't feel comfortable with Baynes behind Tim.

Some minimum options to flesh out roster: Bonner, Jenkins, Larkin, Jordan, Cotton (if waived), Hamilton (Justin, if waived), Franklin (if waived).

They'll also have their picks to sign, however many that ends up being.

Biggems
06-28-2015, 01:04 PM
You are clueless. We know that the Spurs rebuffed offers for him on draft night. It is clear to anyone with half a brain that the Spurs will be doing a sign -and -trade for Aldridge using Splitter. This may give them the chance to keep Green.

so what do you predict the terms of the sign and trade to be? hopefully we can keep Mills. I doubt we can do Splitter for Aldridge straight up...other components will probably be involved.

I would like to sign Joseph and send them Splitter and Joseph for LA. They get two quality defensive players and we get LA.

TD 21
06-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Nah. I don't think they're looking to run the back-up PG spot by committee again. I would imagine Rozier sits on the bench for a year or two.

It would gain in penetration in defensive flexibility, though. Rozier, LJC and LaLane are all guys who have the chance to be plus defenders and could get spot minutes during the regular season due to that. Ideally, when Manu leaves the Spurs would look for a shooter to take that spot.

I don't hate the idea of Hunter at all, obviously, but I'd want something more than just a nameless second, though. Maybe even Minny's first, since that's almost guaranteed to be two high seconds and as a result is the least valuable to Boston's upcoming picks.

I think that's their plan right now. But they want that center to try to lure Love, so they can't or at least shouldn't spend so much money that they have to pay more just to move Wallace. Splitter is cheap enough to keep flexibility.

That and they'd still have the full MLE and LLE up until they reach the apron. They can get a wing to spell Manu and Anderson and/or a big if they don't feel comfortable with Baynes behind Tim.

They'll also have their picks to sign, however many that ends up being.

I know he wouldn't be a rotation player next season. I'm speaking of duplication.

Balance is what's required, or at least a semblance thereof. Jean-Charles probably isn't coming over, or we'd have probably heard something by now and LaLane is probably going to be stashed.

If they could get Hunter and a projected high 2nd, that's pretty much the equivalent of two late 1sts. Should Splitter be worth more? Maybe. But he's injury prone, doesn't have the stamina to play true starters minutes and teams know the Spurs have to dump him (if Aldridge verbally agrees, of course), so they'd be hard pressed to do better.

I doubt Koufos' annual salary exceeds Splitter's, though.

In this scenario, the priority should be backup C, specifically someone with enough upside to serve as a placeholder starter when Duncan retires. They'd really only need a lesser Belinelli type on the wings.

therealtruth
06-28-2015, 05:56 PM

Nice lineup but what big man is going to defend the pick and roll, and the Blake Griffin's and Z-bo's?

Chinook
06-28-2015, 10:46 PM
So what about this scenario?

Spurs trade Splitter to Boston for Rozier and Joseph to Toronto for Noguiera. Spurs rope Portland into the deal, making it a three-way with Noguiera, Thomas and a second going over to Portland in exchange for Aldridge. The the Spurs use the LLE to sign Neal and the MLE to sign Biyombo. They also bring Baynes back for another year. Then they re-sign Tim, Manu, Green and of course Leonard.

End up with this as their lineup:

Parker, Mills, Rozier
Green, Ginobili, Neal
Leonard, Anderson, LJC
Aldridge, Diaw, LaLanne
Duncan, Baynes, Biyombo

Seems like the best combo of skill-sets that you can hope for. Can compete for the next two season and leave almost nothing on the books for 2017:

Parker, Rozier
Green
Leonard, Anderson
LaLanne (RFA or third year or deal)
Maybe Biyombo

And two max slots

DPG21920
06-28-2015, 10:50 PM
I'd rather have nothing if I were POR tbh..Also, I've heard nothing at all about LJC - I imagine we might hear more during SL?

But of course I would do that if I were SA. That would be a dream scenario for SA fans even if some pieces move (Neal, Bismack, etc..). That structure and use of assets would be incredible.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2015, 10:54 PM
I'd rather have nothing if I were POR tbh..Also, I've heard nothing at all about LJC - I imagine we might hear more during SL?

But of course I would do that if I were SA. That would be a dream scenario for SA fans even if some pieces move (Neal, Bismack, etc..). That structure and use of assets would be incredible.

Is LJC recovering from some sort of injury? I'd imagine he's going to be at SL since his ASVEL coach will be there and his name wasn't listed on France's roster for int'l play this summer.

Ditty
06-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Biyombo would be a really nice big man option that we would be missing if Splitter would be traded. He had a really solid game against us when we played the Hornets in Charlotte. This lineup would be really solid as Chinook mentioned.

Parker/Mills
Green/Manu
Leonard/Anderson
Aldridge/Diaw
Duncan/Biyombo

palangi
06-29-2015, 01:29 AM

Spurs trade Splitter to Boston for Rozier and Joseph to Toronto for Noguiera. Spurs rope Portland into the deal, making it a three-way with Noguiera, Thomas and a second going over to Portland in exchange for Aldridge. The the Spurs use the LLE to sign Neal and the MLE to sign Biyombo. They also bring Baynes back for another year. Then they re-sign Tim, Manu, Green and of course Leonard.

Parker, Mills, Rozier
Green, Ginobili, Neal
Leonard, Anderson, LJC
Aldridge, Diaw, LaLanne
Duncan, Baynes, Biyombo

Seems like the best combo of skill-sets that you can hope for. Can compete for the next two season and leave almost nothing on the books for 2017:

Parker, Rozier
Green
Leonard, Anderson
Maybe Biyombo

And two max slots
I would definitely be down for this.

jesterbobman
06-29-2015, 03:25 AM
That kind of scenario is very appealing. Basically ideal in terms of maximising talent this year. Holt can pay once.

The key bit is trading Splitter for LMA in a 3 team deal, and Boston makes a lot of sense as the 3rd team given their lack of a centre. Of the pieces to come back from Boston, I'd prefer Hunter (plus pieces to go to Portland so that they accept), given it seems from where they drafted they prefer Rozier) to Rozier, as I think he's a better prospect by quite a bit.

It's an awkward fit PG D wise, but you just need a min 3rd PG, and there's a continuation of the # of skilled wing sized guys who can shoot and pass, and I'd guess that Hunter can be a Neal type PG. That's not ideal, but you can add the 3rd PG later in a future draft. I think Rozier Kills spacing quite a bit there. (though if Chip thinks he can fix his shot a bit, then Rozier works a lot better)

Other change I'd look at is O'Quinn in place of Biyombo at MLE. I think he works as a Splitter replacement much better, as a skilled offensive player who guards well, and meshes with what the Spurs want out of their Centres more in terms of ability to make passes with some skill. Plus, Borrego connection. I think O'Quinn can be a low end starting C, which could be really valuable in the 10 - 15 Games Duncan rests, and in 2 years.

That minor quibble in preferences aside, I love the idea.

Baam
06-29-2015, 06:16 AM
I don't believe the "Celtics picked Rozier for the Spurs" theory.

Another team with too many PGs looking for a center is Milwaukee, they made a dumb trade for Greyvis Vasquez because Kidd wants 6"6 PGs exactly like him (soon enough he'll ask to be a player coach imo)...

Ennis + Plumlee for Splitter

And if they want to unload Boris, I think Detroit would be a terrific fit, I know they already traded their non garanteed deals for Ilyasova tho...

CGD
06-29-2015, 07:38 AM
They're really shopping Diaw for a trade exception (Cavs, Nugs).

Seventyniner
06-29-2015, 07:40 AM
They're really shopping Diaw for a trade exception (Cavs, Nugs).

This makes zero sense on several levels. The Cavs don't have cap space to absorb Diaw, which is what it would take to create a TE for the Spurs. If the Spurs decide to dump Diaw as part of salary-clearing for Aldridge, they wouldn't need a TE.

CGD
06-29-2015, 08:06 AM
This makes zero sense on several levels. The Cavs don't have cap space to absorb Diaw, which is what it would take to create a TE for the Spurs. If the Spurs decide to dump Diaw as part of salary-clearing for Aldridge, they wouldn't need a TE.

If LMA is the play, moving Diaw is the least bad option between losing either him, Tiago, or Green.

Maybe TE was not the correct term for whatever would result from trading Diaw for Haywood's deal and then waiving Haywood to open the cap space. CLE doesn't need cap space to do that move, in fact, it's precisely because of their cap limitations that they have to make this type of trade in order to improve their roster.

If Gasol was in play (doesn't seem that way) then the least bad move is to move Tiago.

tholdren
06-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Parker, Mills, Rozier
Green, Ginobili, Neal
Leonard, Anderson, LJC
Aldridge, Diaw, LaLanne
Duncan, Baynes, Biyombo

Parker, Rozier
Green
Leonard, Anderson
Maybe Biyombo

And two max slots

Lol. Dream scenario tbh. I don't see the fo being able to do that well. Sweet work. Hope pop rc put the bottle down long enough to read this post.

look_at_g_shred
06-29-2015, 10:08 AM

Parker, Mills, Rozier
Green, Ginobili, Neal
Leonard, Anderson, LJC
Aldridge, Diaw, LaLanne
Duncan, Baynes, Biyombo

Parker, Rozier
Green
Leonard, Anderson
Maybe Biyombo

And two max slots
Pretty much best case scenario!!

TD 21
06-29-2015, 04:35 PM

Parker, Mills, Rozier
Green, Ginobili, Neal
Leonard, Anderson, LJC
Aldridge, Diaw, LaLanne
Duncan, Baynes, Biyombo

Parker, Rozier
Green
Leonard, Anderson
Maybe Biyombo

And two max slots

- The Raptors just drafted a defensive minded PG, with limited range and they have no current or long term backup for Valanciunas, so I doubt they'd make that trade.

- I'd be surprised if Neal were brought back. I don't think Pop was ever a fan.

- Biyombo is the exact opposite of the type of player they generally pursue.

- I don't know why you keep listing Jean-Charles as an SF and now LaLanne as a PF.

dbestpro
06-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Antic to sign with Turkey. Atlanta looks more, and more as a viable landing spot for Tiago.

Big P
06-29-2015, 06:33 PM
Boston still has a $12.9 mil player exception from the Rondo trade, if that helps any.

DesignatedT
06-29-2015, 07:08 PM

FuzzyLumpkins
06-29-2015, 07:22 PM
I like the idea of a shitty team that is able to eat his $10m contract under the cap for a potential lottery ball. The market for picks is never lower than right after the draft. We had multiple teams bidding at the draft. Curious to see what happens now. Most teams didn't get a big better than Tiago.

cjw
06-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I like the idea of a shitty team that is able to eat his $10m contract under the cap for a potential lottery ball. The market for picks is never lower than right after the draft. We had multiple teams bidding at the draft. Curious to see what happens now. Most teams didn't get a big better than Tiago.

Not to mention a better big than Tiago on a two year, reasonably priced deal. They don't have to shell out ridiculous dollars on a 4 year contract. If the Spurs can get the Celtics pick next year, I'd be intrigued. Not sure that team makes the playoffs next year in the East with Indiana and Miami almost certainly improving, though everything else is a crap shoot.

From Celtics perspective, they can see how Tiago fits in (I think very well given what they're trying to do) and either keep running with him, or unload him at either this or next trade deadline for a bigger haul. Could then have significant cap space going with the huge cap bump a year from now.

And totally agree on waiting for post-draft to get better value on the pick. Spurs don't want anyone for this year anyway, so there was no need to push pick to this year.

Mr. Body
06-29-2015, 07:36 PM
I can see Boston nabbing Splitter. They have a smart coach who can see his value.

Mr. Body
06-29-2015, 07:37 PM
Plus Boston has tons of picks they're ready to spray around, as witnessed in how they tried to get Winslow Justise.

CGD
06-29-2015, 07:37 PM
How much salary can the Spurs take back (if any) if they send Splitter out, and still have the cap space to sign LMA?

For example if they send him to Orlando, could they take back an asset like Mo Harkless, Nicholson, or Evan Fournier (each about 2.5m) and still open up the needed space?

tholdren
06-29-2015, 07:40 PM
I can see Boston nabbing Splitter. They have a smart coach who can see his value.
yep trade for Zeller, Turner, Olynyk and pick up Milsap not LMA - win win

Mr. Body
06-29-2015, 07:43 PM

No. No, no, no. No.

tholdren
06-29-2015, 07:46 PM
No. No, no, no. No.
and your reasons?

Mr. Body
06-29-2015, 07:48 PM
and your reasons?

If that's your plan, keep Splitter.

look_at_g_shred
06-29-2015, 07:50 PM
It has begun..

tholdren
06-29-2015, 07:54 PM
If that's your plan, keep Splitter.
so you are saying splitter is better than all four of those players combined?

1. Splitter will fail as soon as Tim goes
2. Splitter has no offense
3. If you want a defensive big, Chandler is by far better
4. This provides depth at the FC which spurs don't have
5. It addresses a bench SG that will do things other than shoot.

Its not my plan, but I would much rather have Paul than Lamarcus = I think Milsap is a better worker, and less of an ego.

I don't like Splitter, never have, and with his injuries, as tick tacky as Parker's, I like him even less. Move him before he Andrew Bynum's the Spurs.

Again, your reasons to keep the oft injured, can't play in many playoff-instances Tiago?

Mr. Body
06-29-2015, 08:05 PM
so you are saying splitter is better than all four of those players combined?

1. Splitter will fail as soon as Tim goes
2. Splitter has no offense
3. If you want a defensive big, Chandler is by far better
4. This provides depth at the FC which spurs don't have
5. It addresses a bench SG that will do things other than shoot.

Its not my plan, but I would much rather have Paul than Lamarcus = I think Milsap is a better worker, and less of an ego.

I don't like Splitter, never have, and with his injuries, as tick tacky as Parker's, I like him even less. Move him before he Andrew Bynum's the Spurs.

Again, your reasons to keep the oft injured, can't play in many playoff-instances Tiago?

Only Millsap is a starter of the players you mention and Splitter is much better in terms of what we do. Not sure why you mention Chandler at all.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2015, 08:14 PM

tholdren
06-29-2015, 08:15 PM
Only Millsap is a starter of the players you mention and Splitter is much better in terms of what we do. Not sure why you mention Chandler at all.

Uncertain why you need to place this in terms of "starter?" I care more about who plays well and finishes the game.

Second, Zeller started over 100 games in his career, including 59 this year. Stats are similar to splitter, really. This year Zeller and Splitter both had an 18.9 PER Zeller had the advantage in WS/48 and splitter was a 1.4 VORP and Zeller 1.2….

Chandler was mentioned because of what he does for his team is similar to what splitter does for SA.

So, in that trade you have Zeller, who is statistically equal to Splitter, and Milsap who is easily better than Splitter, along with a viable backup (better than Ayers anyway) and a SG. You must have responded without looking for any evidence.

sexinthatsx
06-29-2015, 08:47 PM
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25228620/report-spurs-shopping-tiago-splitter-to-sign-lamarcus-aldridge?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Chinook
06-29-2015, 08:54 PM

The Spurs would have no room to sign a blue-chip free agent, and moving Splitter for Millsap is wrong-headed anywho. There'd be no one to be the backup center, while there'd be four PFs on the roster.

look_at_g_shred
06-29-2015, 09:00 PM
Some crazy niggas in here Golden God > Trillsap IMVHO

RD2191
06-29-2015, 09:27 PM
No Tiago No Title, I guarantee it.

tholdren
06-29-2015, 09:30 PM
The Spurs would have no room to sign a blue-chip free agent, and moving Splitter for Millsap is wrong-headed anywho. There'd be no one to be the backup center, while there'd be four PFs on the roster.

kind of, but think how teams are playing and winning now. There really isn't a dominant center that carries a team. Its all perimeter players, and hustle. It would be different, possibly, during the Shaq, Hakeem era, but now who is dominant in the post?

Basketball is the ultimate - take the best available player, its not football where you have to have certain skill sets to be effective at a certain position.