PDA

View Full Version : Our own little Seguin TX gets national play as a Katrina refuge

boutons
09-11-2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/10/AR2005091001437.html

hussker
09-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Perhaps we should call it an "EVACUE" so that it is for evacuees...Some on these boards may think that it implies there are people in Seguin that are the "R" word. We certainly do non want to imply and upset. I am confident this neologism will distress some of the etymologists out there (as there seem to be many in this forum who are experts in grammar, syntax and profanity use) who will vehemently SLAM me for making up another word. I am just trying to help spread peace. :)

boutons
09-11-2005, 03:36 PM
refugee has a narrow, legal definition in international law, meaning "cross-border" and "to escape persecution". And that is also a special meaning of refugee outside of intl law. But intl law doesn't apply within USA, unless one considers Texas still to a Republic. :)

Refugee has been demonized, denigrated, and "pejoratized" for no good reason.

Anyone "seeking refuge" from anything is a refugee, imo.

And, no, the there is no justification for making up yet another bogus word, which is often just an excuse and cover-up for not knowing how to use the appropriate word from several 100K English words. What the Nouvelle Orleannais have done is absolutely nothing new, and so doesn't need a new word.

evacuee: a person who is removed from his home or community in time of war or pressing danger as a protective measure <the villagers fed and housed the evacuees from the blitzed city>

... a perfectly applicable word, but since it has developed an odor of P.C. recently (aka euphemism = weasel word = lie), I prefer refugee. evacuee is an attempt to say that "refugees" is what happens to non-USA people in other countries, and doesn't happen to US citizens, superior and immune by definition. :)

SWC Bonfire
09-12-2005, 12:13 PM
That's cool.

But it's pronounced SUH-geen. :lol

Swishy McJackass
09-12-2005, 12:53 PM
I prefer SEH-gwin. But I'm an ass.

Dos
09-12-2005, 12:56 PM
it's actually saigon... as we like to call it over here in new braunfels...

Mr. Dictionary
09-12-2005, 12:58 PM
ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French réfugié, from past participle of réfugier, to take refuge, from Old French, from refuge, refuge. See refuge.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Main Entry: ref·u·gee
Function: noun
: an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

Source: Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

refugee
n : an exile who flees for safety
Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

SWC Bonfire
09-12-2005, 02:03 PM
ref·u·gee
n.
One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

But I thought that George W. Bush didn't care about black people???

Jelly
09-12-2005, 02:47 PM

Jelly
09-12-2005, 02:47 PM
That was a great article. It was on the front page of the Washington Post yesterday.
I like the part about the donated wranglers :lol

hussker
09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
refugee has a narrow, legal definition in international law, meaning "cross-border" and "to escape persecution". And that is also a special meaning of refugee outside of intl law. But intl law doesn't apply within USA, unless one considers Texas still to a Republic. :)

Refugee has been demonized, denigrated, and "pejoratized" for no good reason.

Anyone "seeking refuge" from anything is a refugee, imo.

And, no, the there is no justification for making up yet another bogus word, which is often just an excuse and cover-up for not knowing how to use the appropriate word from several 100K English words. What the Nouvelle Orleannais have done is absolutely nothing new, and so doesn't need a new word.

evacuee: a person who is removed from his home or community in time of war or pressing danger as a protective measure <the villagers fed and housed the evacuees from the blitzed city>

... a perfectly applicable word, but since it has developed an odor of P.C. recently (aka euphemism = weasel word = lie), I prefer refugee. evacuee is an attempt to say that "refugees" is what happens to non-USA people in other countries, and doesn't happen to US citizens, superior and immune by definition. :)

Hopefully, you recognized the sarcasm in my post...

AlamoSpursFan
09-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I wonder if the folks over at Sysco know their name was mangled not once but twice by the Washington (Bleep).

SWC Bonfire
09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
I wonder if the folks over at Sysco know their name was mangled not once but twice by the Washington (Bleep).

Well, I guess none of them have ever worked at a restaurant.