PDA

View Full Version : Current Spur: Cady LaLanne

Chinook
06-25-2015, 11:43 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/9442627.jpeg

Height:6-10
Weight: 241lbs
Date of Birth: 04/22/1992
Prior to NBA: UMass
Years Pro: R

DX Profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cady-Lalanne-40774/)

Very excited to see this kid in action. Summer league can't come fast enough.

TheGoldStandard
06-25-2015, 11:46 PM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/9442627.jpeg

Very excited to see this kid in action. Summer league can't come fast enough.

I'm going to be positive about this one and hope he has something but I dunno.. Seems very slow to me

Axegrinder
06-26-2015, 02:46 AM

Very excited to see this kid in action. Summer league can't come fast enough. Agreed..so far Anderson Hanga and Cadillac to look forward to

dbestpro
06-29-2015, 06:47 PM
To put it into perspective Cady is one year younger than Richards.

DesignatedT
06-29-2015, 07:05 PM
Actually looks pretty solid. Excited about watching this kid in SL. He's real fluid offensively and seems to have a nice touch around the rim similar to Tiago. Also has a nice lookin jumper outside of 15+'. Seems like a he plays pretty low to the floor and not a real high flyer but he's got good size. Kind of reminds me of Antonio McDyess. Seems like a smart guy as well. I'm sure defensively is where he's going to need the most improvement because he looks fairly polished offensively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLXnv_qDzOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoijjnOuVpw

outmap
06-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Looked a lot like an old Antonio McDyess (when he was with the Spurs), even his shooting form is very similar. The young McDyess (Nuggets/Suns) is super athletic like Amare/Griffin.

Maddog
06-29-2015, 08:23 PM
To put it into perspective Cady is one year younger than Richards.

And has played in 30 less countries than Richards

BackHome
07-01-2015, 07:40 PM
We always been bitching for a defense player. The kid averaged 12 rebounds and has a 7'5 wing span that's got me excited! Just bring him in and let chip work on his three ball and get with Kawhi on work ethic and he will be good to go

2centsworth
07-05-2015, 10:53 PM
I like the highlights. He has good feet and rythm. excited about this pick

random21
07-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Cady seems like a hardworking big man... Not too strong, but uses his wingspan to get Rebs and a few blocks... Already better than Ayres

spurraider21
07-14-2015, 03:06 AM
not really understanding the appeal except that he's a spurs draft pick. just seems unremarkable

ace3g
02-08-2016, 01:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cGe0Y7OadI

Chinook
02-08-2016, 07:27 AM
As strange as it may sound, that would have to be a near-typical game for Cady to really look like an NBA prospect. He averages like 11 and 8 and shoots in the 30s from three. With his lack of size, that's not good enough to feel confident in a transition to the big league. Still feeling pretty good about him getting picked, but I don't have him as the best prospect in the pipeline right now. Will know more in a year.

palangi
02-08-2016, 10:03 PM
As strange as it may sound, that would have to be a near-typical game for Cady to really look like an NBA prospect. He averages like 11 and 8 and shoots in the 30s from three. With his lack of size, that's not good enough to feel confident in a transition to the big league. Still feeling pretty good about him getting picked, but I don't have him as the best prospect in the pipeline right now. Will know more in a year.
How is a 6'9" 240 lb stretch 4 with a 7'5" wingspan undersized?

is 6'9" with a wingspan 6'11" Blake griffin undersized?

exstatic
02-09-2016, 12:36 AM

BG ain't even 6'9".

ace3g
02-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Cady Lalanne to Replace Orlando Johnson in NBA D-League All-Star Game
(http://austin.dleague.nba.com/news/cady-lalanne-replace-orlando-johnson-nba-d-league-star-game-presented-kumho-tire/)

Chinook
02-09-2016, 04:26 AM

I mean sure, compare Cady to PFs to show me how he isn't an undersized center.

palangi
02-09-2016, 08:37 AM
I mean sure, compare Cady to PFs to show me how he isn't an undersized center.
Are you pigeon holing him to only center so you can be right? I figured he is more a stretch 4. But if that's what you want.

bismack Biyambo 6'9" center
kevin seraphine 6'9" center
how about the 6'9" with no shoes Andre Drummond?

Chinook
02-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Are you pigeon holing him to only center so you can be right? I figured he is more a stretch 4. But if that's what you want.

bismack Biyambo 6'9" center
kevin seraphine 6'9" center
how about the 6'9" with no shoes Andre Drummond?

The reason why I am not considering him a PF is because the post you quoted was saying that unless is becomes consistent at playing PF (shooting efficiently from outside and rebounding), he'd be undersized. That's no different from saying that CJ McCollum is undersized and having you post the heights of PGs.

And finding two centers who have struggled due to not having the size to compensate for their lack of other skills and then misrepresenting Drummond's height (which you probably got from a measurement taken when he was still a teenager), isn't helping your case.

Lalanne can certainly overcome being 6-9 if he shows he can play PF consistently. Or he could do it if his production at the C holds and is combined with strong defense. But the guy being an 11/8 player shooting in the 30s from three isn't tearing the d-league up. I've never once said he doesn't have NBA potential. I like him quite a bit, as anyone who paid attention to ST during the draft knows. But he hasn't been good enough in Austin this year to put into the the plans for SA going forward. He just hasn't, and no one taking offense on his behalf is going to change that.

palangi
02-09-2016, 09:31 AM
The reason why I am not considering him a PF is because the post you quoted was saying that unless is becomes consistent at playing PF (shooting efficiently from outside and rebounding), he'd be undersized. That's no different from saying that CJ McCollum is undersized and having you post the heights of PGs.

And finding two centers who have struggled due to not having the size to compensate for their lack of other skills and then misrepresenting Drummond's height (which you probably got from a measurement taken when he was still a teenager), isn't helping your case.

Lalanne can certainly overcome being 6-9 if he shows he can play PF consistently. Or he could do it if his production at the C holds and is combined with strong defense. But the guy being an 11/8 player shooting in the 30s from three isn't tearing the d-league up. I've never once said he doesn't have NBA potential. I like him quite a bit, as anyone who paid attention to ST during the draft knows. But he hasn't been good enough in Austin this year to put into the the plans for SA going forward. He just hasn't, and no one taking offense on his behalf is going to change that.
Just going off Drummond height when going into the draft. Sorry I don't have a measuring tape on hand to get this direct moment height.
I see Lalanne as a stretch 4. In shoes Lalanne is probably a 6'10 guy.
Biyombo is getting 20 minutes a night in Toronto. That's not really struggling. I don't think Lalanne is more than that either. Not every prospect I'd an all star but there are spots on a roster for guys like him.

but since you want to shoot those down in your effort to remain right. How about 6'9" Al Horford CENTER

palangi
02-09-2016, 09:41 AM
How about the 6'9" al Jefferson? Center and a 7'2" wingspan.

lalanne 7'5" wingspan makes up for that coveted 1" you seem to think makes him undersized.

palangi
02-09-2016, 09:43 AM
6'9" Tristan Thompson.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-09-2016, 10:32 AM
How about the 6'9" al Jefferson? Center and a 7'2" wingspan.

lalanne 7'5" wingspan makes up for that coveted 1" you seem to think makes him undersized.

6'9" Tristan Thompson.

These are guys with at least one elite NBA level skill. Currently Lalanne doesn't have one even average skill.

palangi
02-09-2016, 11:27 AM
These are guys with at least one elite NBA level skill. Currently Lalanne doesn't have one even average skill.
not even average?

i'd say 36% from 3 as a 4man is average atleast?
7.8 rebounds a game is average at least?

palangi
02-09-2016, 11:28 AM
listen I'm not saying Lalanne is some future star. But he has some skills to be a 4th big man. He has some skills to be a rotational guy. Not every guy needs to be an all star.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 11:35 AM
listen I'm not saying Lalanne is some future star. But he has some skills to be a 4th big man. He has some skills to be a rotational guy. Not every guy needs to be an all star.

I think you're missing the point. 36 percent shooting in the d-league is not good enough to say he's a stretch-four. That's why I said he'd need to be putting up d-league all-star numbers on an average night to become a real prospect. When you add in the speed and size of closing defenders and the general increase in competition, shooting percentages tend to drop a lot. That's why Malcolm Thomas ended up not making it as a shooting big.

If Cady were doing this (per 36) in the NBA, people would be all over him. But the competition is just so much worse that it makes sense to be more than a bit skeptical. Hence why I said he needed a year. Your offense is misplaced. Cady's too small to be a stiff, so he has to actually have legit skills to even make it as a end-of-rotation player. Right now, he doesn't have one developed, which is obvious by looking at his game-to-game stats and not just his averages. As I said, we'll know more in a year.

palangi
02-09-2016, 11:48 AM
I think you're missing the point. 36 percent shooting in the d-league is not good enough to say he's a stretch-four. That's why I said he'd need to be putting up d-league all-star numbers on an average night to become a real prospect. When you add in the speed and size of closing defenders and the general increase in competition, shooting percentages tend to drop a lot. That's why Malcolm Thomas ended up not making it as a shooting big.

If Cady were doing this (per 36) in the NBA, people would be all over him. But the competition is just so much worse that it makes sense to be more than a bit skeptical. Hence why I said he needed a year. Your offense is misplaced. Cady's too small to be a stiff, so he has to actually have legit skills to even make it as a end-of-rotation player. Right now, he doesn't have one developed, which is obvious by looking at his game-to-game stats and not just his averages. As I said, we'll know more in a year.
but 36% is at least average.

and cady is not to small. he is a 6'10" in shoes.

but I do agree he does need to continue to develop. But i think he has done that since the summer league.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 12:09 PM
but 36% is at least average.

This is the same point you missed the first time. If his stats faithfully transferred to the NBA, of course they'd be good enough. But d-league stats almost always lose strength in the transition. So being "at least average" in the d-league makes you well below-average in the NBA. He has to be elite in the d-league, and he's not at this point.

This has never been about him being an NBA star. But he's not good enough to even be a role-player right now. For example, Green averaged 20/8/3 when he was in the d-league, and he was a finisher on the break and caught numerous alley-oops. And that was when he was a teamless scrub.

palangi
02-09-2016, 12:36 PM
This is the same point you missed the first time. If his stats faithfully transferred to the NBA, of course they'd be good enough. But d-league stats almost always lose strength in the transition. So being "at least average" in the d-league makes you well below-average in the NBA. He has to be elite in the d-league, and he's not at this point.

This has never been about him being an NBA star. But he's not good enough to even be a role-player right now. For example, Green averaged 20/8/3 when he was in the d-league, and he was a finisher on the break and caught numerous alley-oops. And that was when he was a teamless scrub.
But you can't say that with certainty. His shooting.

and funny you compare him with green. They are two different players. And Lalanne has better height and length.

Chinook
02-09-2016, 12:53 PM
But you can't say that with certainty.

This is by far my least-favorite retort. I'm not saying anything with certainty other than that I don't think he's ready based on what he's shown. I don't have to prove that it won't transfer, just that it's not likely to. You (really Cady) has the burden of proof here to show why he breaks the mold.

and funny you compare him with green. They are two different players. And Lalanne has better height and length.

It's like my points and you are the same poles of a magnet. What I am saying is that even when he was a comparative scrub, Green was a dominant d-league player. He was shooting 44 percent from three, even though that was before he really became a shooter. He was an elite rebounder for his position.

I was talking about Danny Green, but maybe you thought I meant Draymond/JaMychal?

palangi
02-09-2016, 01:09 PM
I thought you were talking jaymichael.

and I agree he still has some development to do.

my whole retort was off your undersized comment. Which is not true. Skill wise I think we agree. But he he can develop into a stretch 4 he would have plenty of size and length.

SAGirl
02-10-2016, 01:07 AM
Jamychael green was indexed dominant in the dleague last season. He was player of the month last December and a big reason fir the Austin Spurs getting to a very hot start. During preason he was already looking better than Jeff Ayers just Ayers was already signed...

The thing with Cady will be consistency and defense. Obviously shooting is fickle, waxing and waning and he wasn't a shooter until this season, so he's shown improvement and intrigue, and may yet get even better, but averaging 11 points for sure implies he needs further development. I suppose he's probably due for another SL when Pop will watch him and he will have to make the team, but we probably have spots., so it's up to him.

SAGirl
03-25-2016, 12:53 PM
Watched Cady in one game. He's slow/heavy footed. Reminds me of DWest in being a guy of about the same size in height, length and body type, but unable to defend in the perimeter.

I know if you are reading me, you will probably cite Anderson, but he's not the same, Anderson doesn't have explosion or athletic burst, but he is able to change directions on his feet with relative quickness (something that takes by surprise defenders bc you don't expect it from a guy that big and slow, he's very deceptive), and I don't know how to describe it exactly, but Anderson has good body control, he's able to stall his momentum relatively well when closing in on shooters and without fouling them and overall he can stay close to smaller players without bumping them or fouling them... playing under control serves Anderson well in that regard. Cady doesn't have the same body control or ability to stall his momentum, thus he will foul shooters much like Dwest and it's tough for him to close shooters out.

I am unsure on him as a prospect. I watched just the one game and that is probably not enough to get a good feel for him, but bc of him reminding me of the current version of Dwest athletically, he seems more like a center than a PF to me.

He did launch the 3 although it wasn't turned on in the game that I watched, but he has a relative quick shot.

jyra
10-10-2016, 10:16 AM

At least it's a step up from the Puerto Rican league.

Chinook
10-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Considering how shaky the bigs have been so far, I think he'd've had a real chance at grabbing a roster spot has he signed on.

SAGirl
10-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Specially that jumpshot he flashed in the dleague and at times in SL. But him and LJC were nearly at the same level except for that jumpshot.

jyra
12-06-2016, 09:46 AM

That's one of the downsides of signing in China. The teams have no qualms about dropping an import player if gets injured and signing a replacement (happened to Norris Cole just a couple of days ago too). He should return to the D-League team considering the lack of bigs on the roster.