PDA

View Full Version : So where does this leave Kyle Anderson?

MultiTroll
06-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Previously on Kyle Anderson ceiling:

some assorted takes:
El Nono Magic Johnson without the AIDS, IMO

Chinook in a couple of years. Just watch. This kid's gonna be good.

Roger FreeMason jr. Somebody please put my mind at ease. I know the Summer League isn't the best sample size, but he seemed tremendously bad on the defensive end, and I didn't see much from him that made up for it. I'd like to know why you believe he will be a good contributor.

GSH I think he's got the talent to stick in the NBA. Not a star, but a solid contributor. But only if he makes an effort to scratch and claw, and not take time off during games. I don't blame Pop for kicking his ass.

These were just some of the takes.
After the 2015 draft, where does Kyle sit?

How much, if any, playing time will he get in 15-16?

TheGreatYacht
06-26-2015, 11:44 AM
El Nono Magic Johnson without the AIDS, IMO
Bruh :lmao

SpursFan86
06-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Think Nono hit the nail on the head tbh. Definitely a 100% serious take and he couldn't have been more right.

cd021
06-26-2015, 12:02 PM
He seems to have a Paul Pierce-esqe type of game. (obviously a much lower ceiling)

benstanfield
06-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Spot minutes at backup 3 & 4. I think the hope is that he can back up Kawhi full time right now though we all think he's a 4. If he proves a capable backup 3 we don't need to spend more than minimum to replace Beli with a microwave shooter.

ElNono
06-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Well, he had ample time to get over himself...

K...
06-26-2015, 12:07 PM
The boring answer: good stats in the d league. Basically no proof if nba talent but possible talent. End of bench player right now. The team should have room to keep him in sa

cd98
06-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Need to see what position he will play and if he can do it on an NBA level. Most players picked where he was are only in the league for a few years.

FromWayDowntown
06-26-2015, 12:12 PM
If he can play with confidence in camp and the preseason (and avoid trying to beat people on a one-man break), he's going to get a chance to play some meaningful minutes early on.

Hyperbole aside, he's kind of a broke man's Diaw at this point -- he's got skills across the board, but doesn't do any of those things remotely as well as Boris does. I think some of the deficiency came from the fact that he did play with what appeared to be a lot of uncertainty during his stints with the Spurs, almost like he didn't know how to find his place when playing with the established guys. I hope that a year's seasoning and another camp will help him to be more comfortable and natural in those situations and to demonstrate whether his skills fully translate to the NBA game.

dabom
06-26-2015, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't mind anderson taking tonys starting job.

elemento
06-26-2015, 12:13 PM
He will replace Manu as the 2nd unit leader and 6th man.

rjv
06-26-2015, 12:24 PM
he will continue to be the brunt of speculative threads from a slew of NBA experts disguised as ST posters.

ducks
06-26-2015, 12:32 PM
spurs like work ethic and like him a lot
hopefully he has improved since spur fans have seen him play with spurs

ducks
06-26-2015, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't mind anderson taking tonys starting job.

going against starters he will look worse then against other bench players
lots of good point guards out there

Seventyniner
06-26-2015, 12:42 PM
For many players the improvement between their 1st and 2nd years in the league is the biggest of any offseason. We need at least this coming season to see if this particular Anderson will pan out.

kobyz
06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Guy you like to root for him but at the end of the day you not gonna win a meaningful basketball game with him...

DrunkTXLabrat
06-26-2015, 12:43 PM
still on track to be the bench Diaw, hopefully. I hope he piles up pretty assists in the summer league. Lobs and needle threaders to a cutting Livio would be ideal.

BillMc
06-26-2015, 12:44 PM
he will continue to be the brunt of speculative threads from a slew of NBA experts disguised as ST posters.
Bingo.

spurraider21
06-26-2015, 12:45 PM
hey, i dno if you guys have seen this video before, but its kyle anderson before being drafted talking about how much he admires the spurs and wants to play for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imYle6g1I5g

tholdren
06-26-2015, 01:33 PM
IMO Spurs should offer him the max. I mean just think of this starting 5
Tony - max
Anderson - max
KL - max
Tiago - max
Milunitov - Rookie

Bench
Tim - vet min
Ayers - min
Baynes - min
JLC min
Lalane min

Here SA have enough playmakers and elite defensive players to literally shut down every team and still make mind boggling passes, cuts, and back door layups. I know this ties SA financially, but screw it, they are in win-now mode.

UZER
06-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Who?

06-26-2015, 01:58 PM
I saw nothing from him last year that makes me think he's a legitimate NBA rotation player. Hopefully that will change...

tholdren
06-26-2015, 02:02 PM
Jeff Ayers needs a player to beat up on

tmtcsc
06-26-2015, 02:04 PM
hey, i dno if you guys have seen this video before, but its kyle anderson before being drafted talking about how much he admires the spurs and wants to play for them

The biggest thing to take from that video is that he didn't believe he would be around when the Spurs picked. He's had an over-inflated sense of self worth from the start. It's laughable. Early on during training camp he said there was going to be a feeling-out process between him and the Spurs. He was going to get used to the system and the team was going to adjust to his style of play. :lmao

Right Kyle...Pop will try and adjust to your style of play....your slow, plodding, sloth-like movements that lull your opponent to sleep.

Brazil
06-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Obstructed View dude had a couple of great takes about him tbh... in particular on his amazing athleticism or something

LongtimeSpursFan
06-26-2015, 02:36 PM
In a couple of years, basketball experts will once again applaud the Spurs on picking another quality player that all other teams passed on.

Too bad he is probably best suited at the three position as we all ready have Kawhi there. But in terms of offensive ability he is a better low post scorer, better dribbler, and passer than Kawhi. He also also deceptively quick on defense. He has length which allows him to cover passing lanes and recover on defense when beat off the dribble plus he can challenge a shot above the rim.
His downfall is that he is playing behind a lot of talent and may not get the opportunity to play big minutes to further develop his game.

Personally, I'd like to see him in a small ball lineup with Aldridge, Anderson, Kawhi, Green (or Manu) and Parker. That lineup would produce pressure on the perimeter and force steals for easy transition baskets. On the offensive side, they can all shoot, pass and put the ball on the floor making them difficult to defend.

cjw
06-26-2015, 02:52 PM
From Lowe's latest podcast, he went on for a couple of minutes about how much the Spurs love Anderson given how well he knows the game / will learn to exploit matchups. Seemed like he was talking about the present and not about at the time of the draft.

DPG21920
06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Depending on how things shake out, he should very likely be higher on the depth chart next season. Let's hope he can perform. SA seems to like him a lot.

xellos88330
06-26-2015, 03:31 PM
I am still a fan of how all of his motion is deliberate and can throw people off. A guy drives right past him, is surprised and used to having someone right on his hip, rushes the shot only to get swatted from behind or the ball poked loose as the drive continues. Being slow is a pretty good way to both get someone in a rhythm and take someone out of it.

Maddog
06-26-2015, 04:05 PM
I hope he makes it- not just for the Spurs sake, but just imagine..
Kyle Anderson bobblehead night..........

aal04
06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Hes better than D-League quality. we have seen that. He has put up TD type stats.

He needs to get better lateral movement for defense (or mark some short guys at PG) and I think he can be a great Matchup issue.

jjktkk
06-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Well, he had ample time to get over himself...

:lol

objective
06-26-2015, 05:27 PM
We'll see if he has managed to lean out some more in summer league, it'd be a wonder if that can get him a little faster.

Still very pessimistic about his likelihood to be a real NBA player, just another toro legend Marcus Williams or big Kendall Marshall if he can't get faster.

Beaverfuzz
06-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Sorry I told you all Anderson sucked, we'll get a better handle of him in summer league, that's the least the Spurs can do for his sorry ass. :bobo

look_at_g_shred
06-26-2015, 06:14 PM
Why all the hate for KA? :lol you act like he just missed a crucial free throw to seal a championship..

PingPong
06-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Kid will be great with the second unit. He has the IQ, he can handle his weaknesses but it's not enough to be a starter in a contender.

monkeypunk
06-26-2015, 07:08 PM
Could have been a contributor this past season in limited minutes but that's spilled milk.

cd98
06-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Step 1 is dominating in summer league.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-26-2015, 07:45 PM
I just noticed that he leaned out and started getting more mass and definition as the year went on. Watching him play I was more worried about him getting pushed around and being weak on rotations. He would rotate in time and literally duck the contest for example.

LakerHater
06-26-2015, 08:30 PM
cut his ass!

exstatic
06-26-2015, 09:09 PM
The biggest thing to take from that video is that he didn't believe he would be around when the Spurs picked. He's had an over-inflated sense of self worth from the start. It's laughable. Early on during training camp he said there was going to be a feeling-out process between him and the Spurs. He was going to get used to the system and the team was going to adjust to his style of play. :lmao

Right Kyle...Pop will try and adjust to your style of play....your slow, plodding, sloth-like movements that lull your opponent to sleep.

Last year's draft was the draft of the decade, but, even so, the Spurs had only 20 players graded out as first rounders, per RC Buford. Kyle was one of them, yet they got him at 30. Spurs obviously didn't think he'd be there, either, so he was in good company.

If you look at his stats from December when he was getting rotational minutes, they jump off the page at you. He shot 50%, way better than his seasonal FG%. He was never going to get rookie minutes, other than covering for Kawhi's injury time, on a team defending it's title. He will this year, and he will produce. He didn't just go to the d-league, he crushed it there with 21.5ppg/8.7r/4.8a/2.0st/1.5bl, exactly what you want to see from an assigned player.

tmtcsc
06-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Last year's draft was the draft of the decade, but, even so, the Spurs had only 20 players graded out as first rounders, per RC Buford. Kyle was one of them, yet they got him at 30. Spurs obviously didn't think he'd be there, either, so he was in good company.

If you look at his stats from December when he was getting rotational minutes, they jump off the page at you. He shot 50%, way better than his seasonal FG%. He was never going to get rookie minutes, other than covering for Kawhi's injury time, on a team defending it's title. He will this year, and he will produce. He didn't just go to the d-league, he crushed it there with 21.5ppg/8.7r/4.8a/2.0st/1.5bl, exactly what you want to see from an assigned player.

He'll be competing for minutes this year. Let's see what he does with the opportunity. My last memory of him was when he got chased down from behind and had his shot blocked on a potential break away.

From the looks of things in this photo, he's been putting in some work.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wzq1RCFQ1qbz80ao1_500.jpg

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Thrown to the sharks

exstatic
06-26-2015, 10:36 PM
He'll be competing for minutes this year. Let's see what he does with the opportunity. My last memory of him was when he got chased down from behind and had his shot blocked on a potential break away.

From the looks of things in this photo, he's been putting in some work.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wzq1RCFQ1qbz80ao1_500.jpg

:lol:rollin

Ditty
06-26-2015, 10:42 PM
I think Anderson will be fine defensively against most 3's in this league. Seems like the Spurs want him to be the backup to Kawhi for a very long time and at time play as a small ball four. I really liked what I saw out of him when he played. Hopefully he is still on the team if we land Aldridge, I'm looking forward to seeing him in summer league.

szkorhetz
06-27-2015, 03:34 AM
In a couple of years, basketball experts will once again applaud the Spurs on picking another quality player that all other teams passed on.

Too bad he is probably best suited at the three position as we all ready have Kawhi there. But in terms of offensive ability he is a better low post scorer, better dribbler, and passer than Kawhi. He also also deceptively quick on defense. He has length which allows him to cover passing lanes and recover on defense when beat off the dribble plus he can challenge a shot above the rim.
His downfall is that he is playing behind a lot of talent and may not get the opportunity to play big minutes to further develop his game.

Personally, I'd like to see him in a small ball lineup with Aldridge, Anderson, Kawhi, Green (or Manu) and Parker. That lineup would produce pressure on the perimeter and force steals for easy transition baskets. On the offensive side, they can all shoot, pass and put the ball on the floor making them difficult to defend.
With a better PG Kawhi could slide down to SG, TBH.

dabom
06-27-2015, 03:43 AM
Kyle will get his burn thIs year

TheGreatYacht
06-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Why all the hate for KA? :lol you act like he just missed a crucial free throw to seal a championship..
:lmao :rollin

TheGreatYacht
06-27-2015, 07:18 AM
http://youtu.be/Gl0xwsFkDtY

http://youtu.be/AC93CxSICMg

Excited to see KA in the Summer League as the primary option. No Austin Daye to chuck up a horrible 7/28 every game, and Jeff Ayres fumbling his dimes.

FkLA
06-27-2015, 02:26 PM

lol jesus christ

FkLA
06-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Blair, Bonner, Neal, Belli and now Anderson

ST always starts off liking these type of players because they provide some specific offensive skill. Give it a couple years and yall will grow to hate KA's defense just as much as the other guys on the list. I don't think he'll ever be more than an end of the bench guy tbh.

Vic Petro
06-27-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't know what Kyle Anderson is going to be, but trying to make final determinations after one redshirt year is the acme of foolishness.

objective
06-27-2015, 02:51 PM
Excited to see KA in the Summer League as the primary option. No Austin Daye to chuck up a horrible 7/28 every game, and Jeff Ayres fumbling his dimes.

Ain't that the truth. Absurd that multi year veterans who had logged a decent amount of career minutes and even starts were plowing through heavy minutes and might have even led the summer league in mpg. Let the guys who didn't get NBA minute opportunities get a chance.

Chinook
06-27-2015, 02:58 PM

Example of a old joke that hasn't been beaten to death. :lol

kaji157
06-27-2015, 02:59 PM
The fact that we are yet to sign a bakup SF and there are no talks about the FO looking for one makes me think that someone on the Surs Staff consider he might be a serviceable backup at least.
If that is correct iŽll call it quits.

wildbill2u
06-27-2015, 03:40 PM

Gee, me too.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-27-2015, 10:55 PM
http://youtu.be/Gl0xwsFkDtY

http://youtu.be/AC93CxSICMg

what kinda lineup has Anderson and Diaw? and is that Anderson getting an and 1 on the Spurs free Agent wet dream?

LongtimeSpursFan
06-27-2015, 11:11 PM

Just looking at the guy and the way he plays you can see his is an exceptional player and high IQ. He has great low post moves, he can dribble, finish and pass. I know he is slow but so are guys like Diaw, Pierce and Andre Miller and they've all had good careers. On this team where he is in a system that fits his style he can really excel.
He is the only reason I look to the summer league as I hope Pop gives him the same opportunity he gave Kawhi run the offense.

K...
06-28-2015, 12:49 AM
Just looking at the guy and the way he plays you can see his is an exceptional player and high IQ. He has great low post moves, he can dribble, finish and pass. I know he is slow but so are guys like Diaw, Pierce and Andre Miller and they've all had good careers. On this team where he is in a system that fits his style he can really excel.
He is the only reason I look to the summer league as I hope Pop gives him the same opportunity he gave Kawhi run the offense.

apo call u dumbass

Clipper Nation
06-28-2015, 01:03 AM
But in terms of offensive ability he is a better low post scorer, better dribbler, and passer than Kawhi.

http://i.imgur.com/A57MQQy.gif

TheGreatYacht
06-28-2015, 02:48 AM
what kinda lineup has Anderson and Diaw? and is that Anderson getting an and 1 on the Spurs free Agent wet dream?
Warriors won't see those two coming (nvm they probably will :lol) if they try that small ball shit tbh

Yup that's him :wow

tholdren
06-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Where does this leave anderson? If I were the gm I would give him the max now. He will simultaneously win 6th man and league mvp this year. You know that some experts say this is magic without the aids? I'm stunned he went to college tbh. Should have been #1 pick right out of high school. That sa front office. How did they get every team to pass on future goat?

06-30-2015, 02:29 AM
His shooting was awful last season and his confidence got so bad he was afraid to shoot, thereafter.

I think that will correct itself if he can get comfortable and confident.

wildbill2u
06-30-2015, 02:35 PM
Where does this leave Kyle Anderson? Good question. Been trying to come up with a comparable player.

I think the Spurs hire Chris Mullin as a speed coach to teach him how to survive in the current NBA as a fast walker. Of course Mullin survived because he was a great natural shooter from the get go.

GSH
06-30-2015, 02:39 PM
some assorted takes:

GSH [/COLOR]I think he's got the talent to stick in the NBA. Not a star, but a solid contributor. But only if he makes an effort to scratch and claw, and not take time off during games. I don't blame Pop for kicking his ass.[COLOR=#000000]

He was a rookie on a team that had just won a championship, and brought back its roster intact - except for his slot. What did you expect?

I think he's exactly what I said. He's got enough talent to make a contribution to an NBA team, which is more than most human beings could claim. But a guy with his lack of athleticism is going to have to want it worse, and put out the extra effort every minute. My concern from watching him was that he just falls asleep, or takes plays off, or whatever you want to call it. Too many times, he's totally out of the action on the floor, just being a spectator. If he doesn't get a reputation as a hustle guy, he's doomed. So far, he's doomed. Hopefully Pop's ass-chewing will convince him to pick it up.

He's on the second year of his rookie scale, and nobody is lining up to trade for him, so he's not going anywhere. If he works like a madman, he'll show up with 11-12 MPG as a backup. If he doesn't, he'll be looking to join the last Anderson the Spurs drafted in Lithuania.

BTW - that missed breakaway that got dunked from behind? That wasn't a result of being slow. That was a result of loafing down the court, thinking no one would hustle to challenge him.

Spur-Addict
06-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Where does this leave Kyle Anderson? Good question. Been trying to come up with a comparable player.

I think the Spurs hire Chris Mullin as a speed coach to teach him how to survive in the current NBA as a fast walker. Of course Mullin survived because he was a great natural shooter from the get go.

If I'm not mistaken he's coaching St. Johns in NYC. I don't see where he'd find the time.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-30-2015, 03:11 PM
maybe Mark Jackson would be a good addition to the Spurs coaching tree. A preacher with tons of experience. and Kyle Andersons game should be pretty similar to Jacksons, maybe he could offer some pointers.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 03:27 PM
If Anderson can make a sophomore jump the Spurs would be well set at the 3 and able to easily play small ball.

tmtcsc
06-30-2015, 03:51 PM
BTW - that missed breakaway that got dunked from behind? That wasn't a result of being slow. That was a result of loafing down the court, thinking no one would hustle to challenge him.

Agree with everything you said - even the loafing down the court. That's inexcusable for anyone at this level - especially a rookie trying to earn minutes.

MultiTroll
10-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Okay SpursTalk prognosticators, the reg season approaches.
What's it gonna be?

skulls138
10-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Think he's going to fit in and with Manu and Diaw will be a part of a passing smorgasborg on the second unit. Will he score? He's got to do his share but it'll come in weird and creative ways, wonder if he'll have the same knack for getting to the free throw line like in spring. But scorings not going to be alot, his value will come from filling the stat sheet evenly. He's got to earn respect and trust on the defensive side too. That maybe most of all his concentrtion should be. I think he will average 6.5pts/4ast/6rebs and play better than we thought defense.

In theory he could fit in great in the second unit because other than KA, rebounding is light and Patty is definitely a scoring PG so could get some ball handling duty, especially if he gets the rebound.

SpursFan86
10-26-2015, 10:45 PM
Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago. He's shown a lot of improvement...particularly he's impressed me with his serviceable defense. I've never really doubted his ability to be a decent offensive player, but I was worried he'd be an absolute liability on the other end. Seems like that might not end up being the case.

I have questions about his fit on this current bench (specifically, whether he can make an impact without the ball in his hands since he'll play alongside Manu), but overall I'm pretty happy with his development and am excited to see what he can do this year/going forward.

I still would like to see him develop more of a 3-point shot though.

BillMc
10-27-2015, 02:00 AM
Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago. He's shown a lot of improvement...particularly he's impressed me with his serviceable defense. I've never really doubted his ability to be a decent offensive player, but I was worried he'd be an absolute liability on the other end. Seems like that might not end up being the case.

I have questions about his fit on this current bench (specifically, whether he can make an impact without the ball in his hands since he'll play alongside Manu), but overall I'm pretty happy with his development and am excited to see what he can do this year/going forward.

I still would like to see him develop more of a 3-point shot though.

Well said. If Kyle gets a decent 3 he'll really be deadly.

I think, in a way, he may be Manu's heir on the second team as the main playmaker. It is well-known that Patty is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. We can get away with playing Patty because Manu in effect is the backup point guard. Someday, the role of point forward will effectively be Kyle's much like it was in Summer League.

For now, we get to watch Boris, Manu, Kyle and West all play together. Their BBall IQs are through the roof. And I like the chemistry KA has developed with Boban and would like to see them paired together more often. It seems like Pop is trying to find minutes for KA and it looks like that may even cut into West's time. (A lineup of Manu, Patty, KA, Boris, and Boban is a possibility) but it is KA's playmaking ability rather than Boban's that is pushing West out a bit.

As you said, Kyle's developments on defense have been surprisingly strong. He's using his length effectively. He's never going to be a Kawhi or Danny like defender out on the perimeter but if he's just serviceable we can use him. He's already a better defender than Beli was. :lol

TheDoctor
10-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Definitely feel more confident about his future than I did a year ago...

I agree. Compared to last season, his game is more polished and therefore his confidence. It shows that he's a hard worker. His floater and drives are consistent and although slow, are calculated always staying under control. I hope his game continues to flourish as he gets more and more minutes. This bench needs that greatly. More in the near future when key pieces are no longer with the team.

SAGirl
10-27-2015, 03:08 PM
It seems like Pop is trying to find minutes for KA and it looks like that may even cut into West's time. (A lineup of Manu, Patty, KA, Boris, and Boban is a possibility) but it is KA's playmaking ability rather than Boban's that is pushing West out a bit.

It will be interesting moving forward, bc a lot of benches and teams are playing perimeter styles, and West is not particularly good against them. He's not much of a rim protector or a fast guy, and he's certainly not a perimeter 4, which is why Pop is playing him as a 5. Boris, despite his size, comes out to guard guys on the perimeter on switches, and is surprisingly agile for his weight. He's also a really smart player and knows where to be, when to switch, etc.

Against perimeter based benches, Kyle at the 4 has been the best. He has size to bother all the small lineups and has handled switches fearlessly. He is too big for all these perimeter guards to deal with on the other end, and if he had the mind to force the issue, would be drawing all sort of fouls like in SL. I don't think Pop wants him to force the issue, bc they want to develop his decision making since his passing ability is what could really make him special. The point is that with Kyle at the 4 you need a real rim protector next to him, and TD, LMA and Boban have all been in successful lineups with Kyle. West not so much.

ceperez
10-27-2015, 04:54 PM
It will be interesting moving forward, bc a lot of benches and teams are playing perimeter styles, and West is not particularly good against them. He's not much of a rim protector or a fast guy, and he's certainly not a perimeter 4, which is why Pop is playing him as a 5. Boris, despite his size, comes out to guard guys on the perimeter on switches, and is surprisingly agile for his weight. He's also a really smart player and knows where to be, when to switch, etc.

Against perimeter based benches, Kyle at the 4 has been the best. He has size to bother all the small lineups and has handled switches fearlessly. He is too big for all these perimeter guards to deal with on the other end, and if he had the mind to force the issue, would be drawing all sort of fouls like in SL. I don't think Pop wants him to force the issue, bc they want to develop his decision making since his passing ability is what could really make him special. The point is that with Kyle at the 4 you need a real rim protector next to him, and TD, LMA and Boban have all been in successful lineups with Kyle. West not so much.

I agree with you here with the concern about West.

jeebus
11-01-2015, 04:50 PM
With Butler solidifying his spot in the rotation and Slow Piece of Shit Faggot getting benched, hopefully this means he'll be sent to the Toros to watch Errors clap after missing his dunks.

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 08:47 PM
With Butler solidifying his spot in the rotation and Slow Piece of Shit Faggot getting benched, hopefully this means he'll be sent to the Toros to watch Errors clap after missing his dunks.
lol Butler getting in bc Kyle made a mistake hardly qualifies as solidifying his spot. Kyle's a young player and its part of Pop's tough love to pressure him to clean up his mistakes. He's been the same with other young players he's coached and they have either turned out to be nice roleplayers for the Spurs or they have not. But the fact Kyle's getting coached to improve does not mean Butler is the better player.

tholdren
11-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Anderson is so "deadly" he played a minute versus the celtics.

jeebus
11-01-2015, 09:33 PM
kyle will take his talents else where...
tbh slowly walking up and down the court is a talent many americans have.

TD 21
11-01-2015, 10:48 PM
You can use the "it's early" disclaimer all you want, but I never got why anyone thought he'd be a fit. Even had Ginobili not bounced back, the ball was always going to be in his hands, on the second unit and Anderson only has the potential to be of value if the ball's in his.

Fourth wing could easily not end up being solved until the trade deadline/buyout period.

ElNono
11-01-2015, 10:54 PM
Pop got on his ass for bad defense and being out of position on offense... that said, the doghouse act is actually good news for Kyle long term... if Pop didn't care, he wouldn't be hard on him...

SAGirl
11-01-2015, 11:55 PM
Pop got on his ass for bad defense and being out of position on offense... that said, the doghouse act is actually good news for Kyle long term... if Pop didn't care, he wouldn't be hard on him...
That is exactly what I thought, Pop only gets on guys who have talent to be better than they are. He would not get on someone he knew gave everything he had and just could not improve.

wildbill2u
11-02-2015, 12:41 AM
tbh slowly walking up and down the court is a talent many americans have.

Damn right! You see it all the time with 35 year old white church league players. They'll be a natural fan base for him at games with their own section and cheers. Slow Kyle Slow!

skulls138
11-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Tonight he should get some minutes and handle the ball some. That may be his only role, to spell Manu on back to backs.

BillMc
11-02-2015, 02:00 PM
That is exactly what I thought, Pop only gets on guys who have talent to be better than they are. He would not get on someone he knew gave everything he had and just could not improve.

That's true. When the coach rips into you he's trying to make you better. If he compliments, you then you done good. But when he's silent, you're probably getting cut...

DJR210
11-02-2015, 04:57 PM

Errors got drafted #1 overall by Idaho

rastaspur
11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Errors got drafted #1 overall by Idaho

Yeah I saw where spurs scrubs go 1 and 2 in the draft. Ayrers and the jimmer.

It has taken a decade or two to build this reputation but it seems that spurs corporate knowledge experience is a plus factor to all in the industry if two players are relatively equal.

Look at cojo and baynes cashing in this summer. If they weren't spurs on the previous contract and given a level of deference and respect for being a part of the spurs culture/winning ways then they don't draw those deals.

It's confirmed with ayres being chosen 1st. Lol

dabom
11-02-2015, 05:17 PM
I think the Spurs are trying really hard to make this guy work, but I don't think he is going to be here long term. He has the length for his size but that's about it. He doesn't have the speed. He can't shoot the three. He can't shoot the 2. His shots are hella slow. He can't shoot wideopen 3s and always allows his man to closeout. Worse than diaw tbh. His man to man defense is bad. 2 things the spurs love for new guys. corner threes/just threes in general and defense. He doesn't have either.

daslicer
11-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Yeah I saw where spurs scrubs go 1 and 2 in the draft. Ayrers and the jimmer.

It has taken a decade or two to build this reputation but it seems that spurs corporate knowledge experience is a plus factor to all in the industry if two players are relatively equal.

Look at cojo and baynes cashing in this summer. If they weren't spurs on the previous contract and given a level of deference and respect for being a part of the spurs culture/winning ways then they don't draw those deals.

It's confirmed with ayres being chosen 1st. Lol

Thats one thing I have noticed after Cojo and Baynes getting paid is that if you are a role player that does well in the spurs system it will increase your value throughout the league. I think playing well in the spurs system allows players to adapt easily to other teams.

dabom
11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Just looked at his stats and he didn't even play 1 minute of playoff basketball last year. Very telling if you ask me.

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Thats one thing I have noticed after Cojo and Baynes getting paid is that if you are a role player that does well in the spurs system it will increase your value throughout the league. I think playing well in the spurs system allows players to adapt easily to other teams.
They are not scrubs. They are limited players but they were well coached and can execute a defensive scheme as the coach asks. Belinelli, who is an offensive player, also got paid. He had a significant role in the spurs being a bench scorer, and is now doing the same in SAC.

We have just been so lucky to have better players available who limited the roles for them when they were here, but they can play and have at least one or two things that they can add to a team that will get them playing time.

Gladney to see you
11-02-2015, 09:53 PM
He hasn't played well at all.

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 09:58 PM
He hasn't played well at all.
This old schtick is getting old. Played 4 mins when Green's mistakes were sinking the team and was a positive on defense. Missed a bailout shot at the end, when he would rather not take up contested shots and ppl hate.
:wakeup

dabom
11-02-2015, 10:05 PM
This old schtick is getting old. Played 4 mins when Green's mistakes were sinking the team and was a positive on defense. Missed a bailout shot at the end, when he would rather not take up contested shots and ppl hate.

Dude had like 10 secs with the ball and his slow shot mechanic put him in that position. :lmao

LongtimeSpursFan
11-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Sean seems to be pretty enthusiastic about Anderson. He's even called him a future star. I can see Andersons potential as well. He has some great offensive skills and has great defensive awareness like Manu.

SAGirl
11-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Sean seems to be pretty enthusiastic about Anderson. He's even called him a future star. I can see Andersons potential as well. He has some great offensive skills and has great defensive awareness like Manu.
He will have to prove his worth, but ppl shitting on him when he's played a spare minute here or there, has to be a special agenda. Either they feel like Kyle is getting in the way of their favorite player or something else is up, bc he really has played very little to generate this amount of negative attention TBH.

DJR210
11-02-2015, 10:40 PM
Kyle has no balls. Sad to say, but I expect him to take the James Anderson route.

milkyway21
11-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Insurance

K...
11-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Wow , so much stupid. ,"Kyle wasn't in the playoff rotation he's done " what a bad dabom take.

Kyle is a young player on a stacked team. He won't get minutes. He shouldn't get minutes. But up to this point he's been way ahead of his expected progress.

K...
11-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Kyle has no balls. Sad to say, but I expect him to take the James Anderson route.

Terrible. James Anderson was a foot injury dumbass. Kyle is struggling like a rookie bc he is a sophomore playing in the league's most advanced offense

K...
11-02-2015, 10:53 PM
fck his worth, time to give boban more minutes

you see how the defense collapse on boban every time he touch the ball...feed the man the ball clowns

Oh, they play the same position, genius.

K...
11-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I think the Spurs are trying really hard to make this guy work, but I don't think he is going to be here long term. He has the length for his size but that's about it. He doesn't have the speed. He can't shoot the three. He can't shoot the 2. His shots are hella slow. He can't shoot wideopen 3s and always allows his man to closeout. Worse than diaw tbh. His man to man defense is bad. 2 things the spurs love for new guys. corner threes/just threes in general and defense. He doesn't have either.

Another terrible take. Assumes players never improve their shooting. Oops kawhi never happened. Everything else is speculation. Yes he may never be good on defense but his role player skills ought to keep him a spur for a while.

DJR210
11-02-2015, 10:58 PM
Terrible. James Anderson was a foot injury dumbass. Kyle is struggling like a rookie bc he is a sophomore playing in the league's most advanced offense

If James was simply a "foot injury" why didn't he return and compete w/ Danny for minutes? All the talent in the world, no balls.

dabom
11-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Another terrible take. Assumes players never improve their shooting. Oops kawhi never happened. Everything else is speculation. Yes he may never be good on defense but his role player skills ought to keep him a spur for a while.

Kawhi showed flashes of talent and took the SF spot quickly. I knew he was special from his first few games. Started for the playoffs and Pop called him the face of the franchise for the future after his first playoffs.

Every player the spurs drafts doesn't become Kawhi/Superstar status. :lmao

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
If James was simply a "foot injury" why didn't he return and compete w/ Danny for minutes? All the talent in the world, no balls.

Because that foot injury robbed him of his only NBA-level skill.

K...
11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Kawhi showed flashes of talent and took the SF spot quickly. I knew he was special from his first few games. Started for the playoffs and Pop called him the face of the franchise for the future after his first playoffs.

Every player the spurs drafts doesn't become Kawhi/Superstar status. :lmao

So kawhi replaces a pos Stephen Jackson,, and that's evidence that he's good.

Kyle is competing with a young, prime, kawhi, so he. must be a scrub if he can't get the starts?

As your say yourself, kawhi is special. Every other rookie don't get minutes. It's just dishonest and stupid to say you have an argument.

If you're gonna bash Kyle use stats and stuff. He's not gonna become anything special soon. But he's still a great prospect and will be on this team for probably 5 more years

DJR210
11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Because that foot injury robbed him of his only NBA-level skill.

Bullshit, a stress fracture is no career ender :lol

K...
11-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Bullshit, a stress fracture is no career ender :lol

Go dig up some threads from the time he came back. Then search for roddy beabois. Basically it killed his jump shot. It's a career ender for marginal players. It kills big men's careers (hello embiid) and athletic guards. Anderson wasn't athletic before his injury.

It's really sad with Anderson, but just remember, if Anderson didn't break his foot, we may not get patty or green.

DJR210
11-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Go dig up some threads from the time he came back. Then search for roddy beabois. Basically it killed his jump shot. It's a career ender for marginal players. It kills big men's careers (hello embiid) and athletic guards. Anderson wasn't athletic before his injury.

It's really sad with Anderson, but just remember, if Anderson didn't break his foot, we may not get patty or green.

I dunno.. Durant and Beal look pretty good returning from their stress fractures.

SnakeBoy
11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
I think the Spurs are trying really hard to make this guy work, but I don't think he is going to be here long term.

Is that why the Spurs just picked up his 3rd year option?

rastaspur
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
They are not scrubs. They are limited players but they were well coached and can execute a defensive scheme as the coach asks. Belinelli, who is an offensive player, also got paid. He had a significant role in the spurs being a bench scorer, and is now doing the same in SAC.

We have just been so lucky to have better players available who limited the roles for them when they were here, but they can play and have at least one or two things that they can add to a team that will get them playing time.

Baynes and cojo aren't scrubs. However, the jimmer and teddy pendergrass are

Brazil
11-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Dude is not good enough for the NBA... I'm saying that from day one

I don't see him at any point keeping up with NBA pace. He seems a good kid and he must work hard and all but he has not the tool to play meaningful minutes in the NBA

I wish somebody bumped dat shit at one point with a :lmao Brazil for this take

Brazil
11-03-2015, 05:07 PM
When I say meaningful minutes, I talk about being starter or one of primary guy off the bench

dabom
11-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Is that why the Spurs just picked up his 3rd year option?

The way the cap and salaries are rising, the best bet is to keep the rookie scale contract.

dabom
11-03-2015, 05:23 PM
So kawhi replaces a pos Stephen Jackson,, and that's evidence that he's good.

Kyle is competing with a young, prime, kawhi, so he. must be a scrub if he can't get the starts?

As your say yourself, kawhi is special. Every other rookie don't get minutes. It's just dishonest and stupid to say you have an argument.

If you're gonna bash Kyle use stats and stuff. He's not gonna become anything special soon. But he's still a great prospect and will be on this team for probably 5 more years

This guy is primed to be replaced with another project. It's what the Spurs do.

dweaver99027
11-03-2015, 06:29 PM
If he can be as good in his 3rd year as Cory was last year I'll be happy.

steeledl
11-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Kyle is worthless. We have to figure out a way to package him and a draft pick/prospect for a wing near the trade deadline. Hopefully there will be sellers our there.

Ginobili and Anderson can't be our back up wings if we want to beat the Warriors. Ginobili is going to have no legs come playoffs per usual and Anderson isn't good enough for NBA basketball

steeledl
11-03-2015, 06:45 PM

The rare quality post from dabom

steeledl
11-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Sean is paid to tote the company line...... he does a good job of it.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Guys, Pop's running what amounts to a seven man rotation for the beginning of the season to get LMA acclimated. Let's not use it as fuel for our delusions.

steeledl
11-03-2015, 07:03 PM
He will have to prove his worth, but ppl shitting on him when he's played a spare minute here or there, has to be a special agenda. Either they feel like Kyle is getting in the way of their favorite player or something else is up, bc he really has played very little to generate this amount of negative attention TBH.

Damn, get off this dudes limp ass dick. He is terrible.... has no business on an NBA floor.

SAGirl
11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Just in case, steele daboom and apalisoc I have been ignoring you for a long time, so don't even try to respond to what I am posting. feel free to ignore me right back. dont care.

steeledl
11-03-2015, 07:54 PM
Just in case, steele daboom and apalisoc I have been ignoring you for a long time, so don't even try to respond to what I am posting. feel free to ignore me right back. dont care.

"la la la... I can't hear you.... la la la". Stop shit posting about a shit player.Denial and deflection are powerful tools for those who choose to turn a blind eye or elect ignorance.

tholdren
11-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Terrible. James Anderson was a foot injury dumbass. Kyle is struggling like a rookie bc he is a sophomore playing in the league's most advanced offense and he sucks
fify

dabom
11-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Just realize, I have to, on principle, disagree with some stuff that is said on here. You lose credibility when you can't defend your stance though. I would suggest otherwise.

LongtimeSpursFan
11-03-2015, 09:06 PM
Spurs are confident in Kyles abilities so much that they picked up his option for this fourth year. I'd say the spurs are convinced he can play in the nba.
My prediction is that he will average double digit minutes and 8/4/1 at end of season. In a couple of years people will talk about how the spurs continue to draft players late in first round that become big time contributors to franchise.

Chinook
11-03-2015, 09:18 PM

I think you're finding out how playerfan crews get started. People become fans of a player. Other people start attacking that player. The first group defends the player by pointing out flaws in other players, thereby forming subconscious aversion to the other players. Rinse and repeat until you get factions. Seems you're a founding member of the CoA (Church of Anderson). I'm one of the charter members of the CoG (Church of Green). Almost everyone is some type of playerfan. Just depends on how big of a jerk you want to be about it.

dabom
11-03-2015, 09:24 PM
I'll be surprised if he's still here after his rookie contract.

steeledl
11-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I'll be surprised if he's still here after his rookie contract.

I think it would be a huge mistake to not package him why he still has perceived value. If we want to win it this year we have to get some wing depth.... hell even another 3 and D guy would be an upgrade.

Then again, the Spurs rarely do mid season trades so maybe not.

dabom
11-03-2015, 09:52 PM
I think in the off season like usual.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2015, 10:01 PM
I dunno.. Durant and Beal look pretty good returning from their stress fractures.

Durant's had complications and it remains to be seen if it will hold up, and Beal had a stress fracture in his leg, not his foot. LJ wrote a post a few years ago about the guys who had the fracture in addition to JA. Travis Outlaw, Roddy Beaubois, Brandon Jennings, Yao Ming and Bill Walton are some of the names I remember.

Mnky
11-03-2015, 10:08 PM
I think we will get a better feel after we get our regular rotations down. Pop is still experimenting, and its probably limiting Anderson's opportunities. I can't stand his slow foot work. Foot work is the first thing I always coach in each sport. It's an essential part of any sport. He can get any shot he wants though. Has great length and a high release. When he is hitting his shot, he really doesn't seem that bad. He just isn't a consistent shooter, which he should be since no one can really contest it. If he can't hang on defense tho, I don't see him getting many opportunities either way. Pop seems to be getting on Tony early this season about defense, as Tonys effort and footwork have both improved since the first game. Mills minutes went up and tonys down. Think it's the same for Anderson. Pop pulled him pretty fast the other day when he slipped up. I think pops doing a great job of setting the mood early in the season that you better be bring your A game or he will find someone that does.

I haven't given up on the kid, he definitely needs to improve, but he has the potential too and has gotten better since he first got here. Time will tell.

DJR210
11-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Durant's had complications and it remains to be seen if it will hold up, and Beal had a stress fracture in his leg, not his foot. LJ wrote a post a few years ago about the guys who had the fracture in addition to JA. Travis Outlaw, Roddy Beaubois, Brandon Jennings, Yao Ming and Bill Walton are some of the names I remember.

iirc, Ilgauskas had a stress fracture in his foot early in his career..

SAGirl
11-03-2015, 10:29 PM
I think you're finding out how playerfan crews get started. People become fans of a player. Other people start attacking that player. The first group defends the player by pointing out flaws in other players, thereby forming subconscious aversion to the other players. Rinse and repeat until you get factions. Seems you're a founding member of the CoA (Church of Anderson). I'm one of the charter members of the CoG (Church of Green). Almost everyone is some type of playerfan. Just depends on how big of a jerk you want to be about it.
Indeed, before this season I had already caught up to these guys trolling. I have been ignoring them for a while, because frankly they were starting to make me hate Kawhi just because their hate propaganda on everyone else repulsed me. They generate a lot of negative attention for their favorite player TBH, and I really love the player separate from this crew. Me liking Kawhi doesn't mean I have to shit on everyone else on the team, that is so childish. I can also criticize someone who had a bad game without going all OCD about it, and I can recognize that guys have their role in the team and not everyone is the Superstar role, but that doesn't mean that roleplayers don't have value or are not needed to play well.

There are a bunch of players I really like beside Anderson. I have just really gotten on his Church because the young man is generating a bunch of hate for a 9th or 10th man role if that and it's not like he has gotten as much opportunity or that you are counting on him to win a game.

Anyways, yea I guess I am a proud FOUNDING MEMBER of the CoA. :flag:I suppose to really appreciate what he could do for the team in the future, you have to appreciate elite passing and that is not in everyone's taste, or something that he has gotten much of a chance to show, and he's unlikely to show it in a couple of mins here or there.

I have no problem with someone having a favorite player, but when they have nothing to add that doesn't amount to trolling its not worth my time.

steeledl
11-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Indeed, before this season I had already caught up to these guys trolling. I have been ignoring them for a while, because frankly they were starting to make me hate Kawhi just because their hate propaganda on everyone else repulsed me. They generate a lot of negative attention for their favorite player TBH, and I really love the player separate from this crew. Me liking Kawhi doesn't mean I have to shit on everyone else on the team, that is so childish. I can also criticize someone who had a bad game without going all OCD about it, and I can recognize that guys have their role in the team and not everyone is the Superstar role, but that doesn't mean that roleplayers don't have value or are needed to play well.

There are a bunch of players I really like beside Anderson. I have just really gotten on his Church because the young man is generating a bunch of hate for a 9th or 10th man role if that and it's not like he has gotten as much opportunity or that you are counting on him to win a game.

Anyways, yea I guess I am a proud FOUNDING MEMBER of the CoA. :flag:I suppose to really appreciate what he could do for the team in the future, you have to appreciate elite passing and that is not in everyone's taste, or something that he has gotten much of a chance to show, and he's unlikely to show it in a couple of mins here or there.

I have no problem with someone having a favorite player, but when they have nothing to add that doesn't amount to trolling its not worth my time.

You are obsessed with the weak link of the Spurs rotation. It just makes you look retarded. I have no agenda.... I love Parker, Kawhi, Duncan, Aldridge, Diaw, etc..... you know, the good players.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2015, 10:43 PM
iirc, Ilgauskas had a stress fracture in his foot early in his career..

Yep, he managed to come back after a couple of years and have a decent career, but he was never even close to what he was his rookie year.

SAGirl
11-03-2015, 10:44 PM
I haven't given up on the kid, he definitely needs to improve, but he has the potential too and has gotten better since he first got here. Time will tell.
I think that is key. Had he still been looking like he did a year ago, then for sure flame on, but he has most assuredly gotten better. This year it is growing pains, getting chewed by Pop and cleaning up his act, hopefully looking at film and fixing his mistakes. He is still getting better. He fixed his shot by the way, he is still a slow shooter, but if you look at film from college, he had the most deliberate slow release you could ever see. Criticism for him last season was legit.

Anyways, like you say, time will tell. He will be around for this year and the next, and it would do the team well if he could give us some quality minutes bc its a long season and its really concerning that the rotations have been so tight and Pop has been yanking guys left and right who are messing up. Hopefully its lesson learned for everyone (not just him), but I think it is necessary because everyone from the bottom up was playing very loosely between throwing the ball away, traveling, being out of position, rotating late. The first games have been ugly bc of how many mistakes there have been around, and that needs to be cleaned up early or we'll be loosing to elite teams.

Ditty
11-04-2015, 12:07 AM
He's been struggling so far, but he has talent. Played okay that first game, then started off bad off the bench against the Nets and has been in the dog house since then.Would like to see him in the post more especially against back up 3's, and he has a nice little floater when getting to the basket, and his defense is serviceable against a lot of the backup 3's in the league. I think he will be okay.

Spurtacular
11-04-2015, 12:19 AM
KA and West are looking like tied for the 9th man that Pop does not have much faith in right now.

szkorhetz
05-07-2024, 01:20 PM
Loved his impact tonight.

GAustex
05-07-2024, 01:25 PM
Slow Mo happy to be away from popabitch and the clusterfucks

TimmyBuckets
05-07-2024, 08:31 PM
He might come back he's available as a FA.

pad300
05-08-2024, 12:16 PM
He might come back he's available as a FA.

I'd be hesitant. He got an eye injury last season, just before the playoffs. I am not sure it has healed fully; both his 3 pt% (to a career low of .229) and volume of 3PT shots nosedived (to 0.6 attempts/game; in the previous 2 years he averaged 1.6) ...