PDA

View Full Version : we could know on tuesday about Ginobili's future

tony77
06-28-2015, 03:00 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Ginobili-decision-on-2015-16-season-to-come-in-6354341.php

Ditty
06-28-2015, 03:02 PM
One more year Manu...

ElNono
06-28-2015, 03:20 PM
'Tuesday' is just a guess by the E-N writer, tbh...

Gino didn't give any specific date...

DPG21920
06-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Well unless Gino is a first rate a-hole, there is no way he should not give SA his decision before FA starts. That is just bad business.

BatManu20
06-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Vic Petro
06-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Is he really going to write an article to say one more year? Feels like a retirement to me.

timtonymanu
06-28-2015, 03:49 PM
He's retiring.

stephen jackson
06-28-2015, 03:49 PM
does sound like hes done. if thats the title of the article......

RD2191
06-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Fuck, can we convince Tony to retire and keep Manu?

TE
06-28-2015, 03:54 PM
:cry Holy shit thought this day would never come

ducks
06-28-2015, 03:57 PM
:cry Holy shit thought this day would never come

Yes it should he is done

TE
06-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Yes it should he is done
Looked old, didn't look terrible. There is a difference.

TE
06-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Btw ducks you gonna throw a party if he does retire? :lol I swear some of you all will carry an agenda all the way to your graves.

Vic Petro
06-28-2015, 03:59 PM
I think it's the right move for him. He looked noticeably more rickety last season. To think that would get potentially worse...

You know what they say, better one year too early than too late.

RD2191
06-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Manu was dropping more dimes than our starting PG in the playoffs.:lol Sure the dude had some wacky passes but the good outweighs the bad imo.

ducks
06-28-2015, 04:01 PM
Looked old, didn't look terrible. There is a difference.

One out of 5 games plays decent spurs need the roster spot to get ready to be 6th man

davi78239
06-28-2015, 04:03 PM
What if he comes back as an assistant/player/coach or something like that??

Malik Hairston
Still valuable as a 15 MPG playmaker off the bench, would be a big blow for a team that is already lacking in playmakers at the guard position, tbh..

If Manu retires and Green leaves, the guard rotation is going to be extremely ugly..

ducks
Manu was dropping more dimes than our starting PG in the playoffs.:lol Sure the dude had some wacky passes but the good outweighs the bad imo.

Tp could drop more dimes against other teams bench players to
Bench was better then starters a lot they scored lots of points
Diaw helped Manu out
Another play maker out there

TE
06-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Still valuable as a 15 MPG playmaker off the bench, would be a big blow for a team that is already lacking in playmakers at the guard position, tbh..
Basically this.

ducks
06-28-2015, 04:05 PM

If Manu retires and Green leaves, the guard rotation is going to be extremely ugly..
useless on back to backs 4 games in 5 nights

TE
06-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Judging from his comments in that EN article, doesn't he want to spend more time with his children? Damn the way they make his announcement sound on that article points to the inevitable announcement that he will retire.

ducks
06-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Those passes he throws are dangerous high reward and high risk

06-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Sounds like retirement.... Spurs really need to keep Green now and desperately need a play maker off the bench.

look_at_g_shred
06-28-2015, 04:09 PM
If he retires, would it be easier to sign LMA?

Vic Petro
06-28-2015, 04:10 PM
He does leave a huge hole in that the Spurs are down to one player who can reliably create offense out of P&R. Even if Kawhi takes a big leap in this regard, they need another playmaker for sure.

SpurPadre
06-28-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm calling it right now: semi-retirement, will come back after the All-Star Break for one more go at another ring.

ducks
06-28-2015, 04:13 PM
green not playmaker

davi78239
06-28-2015, 04:20 PM
So..if he does retire for sure, does this mean they should have drafted someone like that guy from georgia state who was still on the boards?

Manu20
06-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Maybe he will say this coming season will be his last?

ace3g
06-28-2015, 04:22 PM
and that Ginobili will return at a deeply discounted rate, sources said. Ginobili will announce his intentions in a column he will write for an Argentine newspaper.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25227595/free-agent-buzz-with-opt-out-lebron-james-stays-in-full-control

Mugen
06-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't read much into it either way. He's always been very open, not surprised to see him write a full article about giving it one more go rather than just say "I'm Back" tbh.

SpurPadre
06-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Wouldn't read much into it either way. He's always been very open, not surprised to see him write a full article about giving it one more go rather than just say "I'm Back" tbh.

A few years ago, he made a big announcement that he was going to play for the national team and he simply tweeted it instead of writing a full article about it. So, I'm a bit concerned this time around.

raybies
06-28-2015, 04:36 PM

Shved:lol

Budkin
06-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Maybe he will say this coming season will be his last?

My prediction.

bklynspursfan
06-28-2015, 04:38 PM

Was my initial thinking as well. His final hoorah

Mugen
06-28-2015, 04:42 PM
I just don't envision a scenario where the Spurs lose both Manu and Danny. I don't think Pop and RC would be dumb enough to let that happen and have the balls to face Timmy and ask for that paycut.

beirmeistr
06-28-2015, 04:43 PM
He'll announce that this will be his final season, unlleess Ducks and Hater beg him to play until 2017.

beirmeistr
06-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Seriously, though, I think LMA would prefer to have Ginobili on the Spurs if he comes to SA .

ElNono
06-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Well unless Gino is a first rate a-hole, there is no way he should not give SA his decision before FA starts. That is just bad business.

He might inform the Spurs of his decision beforehand, but might not publicize it until he feels like sitting down and writing the article up, league sources tell me.

therealtruth
06-28-2015, 05:03 PM
If Manu changes the way he plays he could still be effective.

BillMc
06-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Was my initial thinking as well. His final hoorah Hope you're right. To quote Han Solo "I've got a bad feeling about this."

BillMc
06-28-2015, 05:08 PM
El Nono, what do your gut instincts tell you?

DesignatedT
06-28-2015, 05:08 PM
He's coming back. Him and Tim.

Mugen
06-28-2015, 05:09 PM
El Nono, what do your gut instincts tell you?

Probably "eat more" tbh

ElNono
06-28-2015, 05:10 PM
He hasn't really hinted in any direction. The only thing we know is that he won't play with the NT in late august on the Olympic qualifier in Mexico, which would indicate he's saving his body for one more NBA season, but I don't think it's a sure thing either.

ElNono
06-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Probably "eat more" tbh

I'm blaming 'Murica, tbh :lol

Mugen
06-28-2015, 05:15 PM
You my nig, Nono....regardless of El Client's decision.....unless he wants a raise then you dead to me tbh.

ducks
06-28-2015, 05:15 PM
If Manu changes the way he plays he could still be effective.

No he would not

ElNono
06-28-2015, 05:18 PM
You my nig, Nono....regardless of El Client's decision.....unless he wants a raise then you dead to me tbh.

Gonna be hard to take another 50% paycut looking at other thank you contracts the team has extended, tbh...

Mugen
06-28-2015, 05:21 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

beirmeistr
06-28-2015, 05:26 PM
Somebody has champagne on ice wai ting for Manu's sorrowful retirement notice.

dbestpro
06-28-2015, 05:27 PM
I'm calling it right now: semi-retirement, will come back after the All-Star Break for one more go at another ring.

Agreed.

BillMc
06-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Probably "eat more" tbh
:lol

DPG21920
06-28-2015, 05:31 PM
He might inform the Spurs of his decision beforehand, but might not publicize it until he feels like sitting down and writing the article up, league sources tell me.

For sure - I only care about him letting the Spurs know. We will know whether or not it's announced based on the Spurs actions

Beaverfuzz
06-28-2015, 05:37 PM

Yep.

Beaverfuzz
06-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Gonna be hard to take another 50% paycut looking at other thank you contracts the team has extended, tbh...

Well, cut down the turnovers by 50% and maybe he'll get a little more $$$?

BillMc
06-28-2015, 05:40 PM
He hasn't really hinted in any direction. The only thing we know is that he won't play with the NT in late august on the Olympic qualifier in Mexico, which would indicate he's saving his body for one more NBA season, but I don't think it's a sure thing either.

As you say he might not be playing in Mexico because he's saving his body or he might not be playing in Mexico because he's done with basketball period.

We'll know soon.

ElNono
06-28-2015, 05:57 PM
As you say he might not be playing in Mexico because he's saving his body or he might not be playing in Mexico because he's done with basketball period.

We'll know soon.

Yeah. Although I don't see Gino too far away from basketball, tbh... I can see where he would take a sabbatical for a couple years, but I think he'll be involved in some project, either with the Spurs or back in Bahia Blanca. Not coaching, but in some managerial capacity.

ElNono
06-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Well, cut down the turnovers by 50% and maybe he'll get a little more $$$?

Frankly, I don't think money will be an issue, especially if the Spurs stay over the cap.

Seventyniner
06-28-2015, 08:35 PM
I think Parker will get closer to his career average next year than Manu. Not that that's saying much...

tholdren
06-28-2015, 08:36 PM
manu will go one more year. I know

Uriel
06-28-2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25227595/free-agent-buzz-with-opt-out-lebron-james-stays-in-full-control
The whole thing is worth reading in its entirety:

Closing in on Kawhi. While the Spurs await official word that Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili are coming back, their first order of business will be swift and simple: Re-signing defensive player of the year Kawhi Leonard to a five-year max deal, league sources told CBSSports.com.
Don't expect any big recruitment meetings, songs or dances when the negotiating floodgates open just after midnight ET Wednesday -- just a simple, quietly executed agreement that will keep Leonard in San Antonio well into his prime. The max deal is likely to have an early-termination option after the fourth season, sources said.
Leonard, who turns 24 on Monday, waited a year to get his commitment from the Spurs so the team would have payroll flexibility. He isn't inclined to do a shorter deal and take advantage of the rising cap next summer; there's injury risk involved, and Leonard will still be young enough to reap the benefits of the higher cap when he hits the market again in 2019.
With Leonard in the fold, the Spurs will immediately focus their attention on unrestricted free agent LaMarcus Aldridge, and there's a legitimate chance he ends up joining the five-time champions, said a person familiar with the situation. The expectation is that Duncan will be back for his 19th season, and that Ginobili will return at a deeply discounted rate, sources said. Ginobili will announce his intentions in a column he will write for an Argentine newspaper.
If there's a fear among Spurs executives, it's that they won't have enough room left to retain Danny Green, who has attracted interest from the Mavs, Blazers and Pistons, sources said.

Uriel
06-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Manu won't retire. There are multiple reports saying the Spurs are already operating under the assumption that both Tim and Manu will be back next season.

Besides, all those reports saying Aldridge is coming to the Spurs must have energized him. It's unlikely that he would pass on the opportunity to join a super team that would be instant favorites to win the championship.

look_at_g_shred
06-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Maybe in his article, he's going to say he's excited to play with LMA :hat

Shabazz
06-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Fingers crossed he retires

ElNono
06-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Manu won't retire. There are multiple reports saying the Spurs are already operating under the assumption that both Tim and Manu will be back next season.

Besides, all those reports saying Aldridge is coming to the Spurs must have energized him. It's unlikely that he would pass on the opportunity to join a super team that would be instant favorites to win the championship.

Manu mentioned in his last La Nación article that Pop told Tim and him he expected them with the team next season. I don't think that means he won't retire though.

beirmeistr
06-28-2015, 09:51 PM

agree with above and I think LMA expects Ginobili to be on the roster if he chooses the Spurs.

Ocotillo
06-29-2015, 08:48 AM
This is like Lebron's, the decision: Manu: I'm taking my talents to south beach.

kaji157
06-29-2015, 09:04 AM
I think LMA is more likely to sign here if we offer as much talent and experience possible, having Ginobili on board would add to that, and make the LMA signing a bit closer.
Whatever morons here say Manu on the roster adds more positive than negative and is important on luring players looking for championships.
Plus, i don´t see manu playing more than 15-20 minutes a game so whether the spurs win or loose it won´t be based on his performance.

Beaverfuzz
06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Well, I think that this point in their careers and if you can make the $$'s work, I think I'd rather have Verde than Manu. Manu could be a very good assistant coach though for Popp.

hater
06-29-2015, 11:49 AM

tholdren
06-29-2015, 02:14 PM
why? even when he looked bad during the regular season he was equal to Danny in terms of PER, and many want Green for high dollar. His STL% was better than Green's during the regular season as well. Second, when Green took a nose dive in the playoffs, Manu's stats actually improved. Manu is still effective, he's a better offensive player than Green, even at his age, and he's still crafty and hungry on defense. Give him 15-20 off the bench, otherwise you will have ISO ball and no scorers. Impressively enough, or sadly enough, Manu is still the best playmaker for the spurs.

Malik Hairston
06-29-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised that some Spurs fans seem to want him to retire, tbh..

He wasn't nearly as good as he was in 2014, but he wasn't bad at all in 2015 IMO..he's still by far the best playmaker on the team, and it would be another hole for the team to fill if he's gone..they would have 0.5 playmakers at the guard positions without Ginobili(I give Parker half a point, assuming he rounds back into an average player), the team already has a few roles that need allocation, they can't afford to need another playmaker..

ElNono
06-29-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised that some Spurs fans seem to want him to retire, tbh..

He wasn't nearly as good as he was in 2014, but he wasn't bad at all in 2015 IMO..he's still by far the best playmaker on the team, and it would be another hole for the team to fill if he's gone..they would have 0.5 playmakers at the guard positions without Ginobili(I give Parker half a point, assuming he rounds back into an average player), the team already has a few roles that need allocation, they can't afford to need another playmaker..

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247098

Top 5 Spur against the Clips, outplaying 3 starters in limited minutes, tbh... then again if he does come back for one more run the vanilla, cliché fans will obsess over his turnovers while overlooking how that bench can't dribble a basketball if Gino isn't holding their hands... so maybe it's time for him to walk away...

beirmeistr
06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
why? even when he looked bad during the regular season he was equal to Danny in terms of PER, and many want Green for high dollar. His STL% was better than Green's during the regular season as well. Second, when Green took a nose dive in the playoffs, Manu's stats actually improved. Manu is still effective, he's a better offensive player than Green, even at his age, and he's still crafty and hungry on defense. Give him 15-20 off the bench, otherwise you will have ISO ball and no scorers. Impressively enough, or sadly enough, Manu is still the best playmaker for the spurs.

I agree 100 %

ducks
06-29-2015, 03:55 PM
per per manu is useless he can not play 30-35 minutes and be effective

spurs10
06-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Can't wait to hear Manu is coming back for anther year. He's one of my favorite players of all time and getting to see him play another year is going to be fantastic! Also his playmaking and passing skills are at an extremely high level still and he'll play with a lot of passion this year.

itsamanuthree
06-29-2015, 05:58 PM
oops! Wrong thread

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2015, 04:12 PM
People who want Manu to retire don't know basketball.

If he could truly be a role player for this team...15-20 minutes a game, less depending on the situation and matchup, he'd be fantastic. Problem is he gets pressed into doing a lot more than he should have because he's still the best all around guard on the team.

vander
06-30-2015, 04:34 PM

If he could truly be a role player for this team...15-20 minutes a game, less depending on the situation and matchup, he'd be fantastic. Problem is he gets pressed into doing a lot more than he should have because he's still the best all around guard on the team.

he tries to do things he clearly can't do anymore, he had a turnover and 2 misses for every made shot against LAC, and that was under 20 mpg

Beaverfuzz
06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
he tries to do things he clearly can't do anymore, he had a turnover and 2 misses for every made shot against LAC, and that was under 20 mpg

This is correct, the mind is still there but Manu's body clearly is not anymore.

monkeypunk
06-30-2015, 04:42 PM

This, when everyone starts sucking, they look at Manu and he, being Manu, does everything in his power to turn back time and help and we get what we got. 15 minutes and a defined role meaning no dunks, no taking charges, no attacking the team in a packed paint, etc. Just facilitate and run the offense. For the bae and a minutes cap plus a very limited role, he can still be a positive piece and in certain situations, a game changer.

gambit1990
06-30-2015, 05:02 PM
if we go over the cap we can't sign manu in january?

ElNono
06-30-2015, 05:35 PM
AFAIK, signing Manu is not an issue as the team has bird's rights on him.

apalisoc_9
06-30-2015, 05:42 PM
Manu palyed better than Parker last season and people want him to retire while they sing praises of the 14 million dollar Parker earned last year..

I just don't know what to say anymore..

SupremeGuy
06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Manu palyed better than Parker last season and people want him to retire while they sing praises of the 14 million dollar Parker earned last year..

I just don't know what to say anymore..lol this, I want Manu back for at least one more year...

Amuseddaysleeper
06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
He's my favorite athlete of all time. I'd honestly have no issue if the Spurs want to keep signing him up until he's 50.

As Bill Simmons once said, we'll see 10 more Dwyane Wade's before we see another Manu Ginobili.

Leetonidas
06-30-2015, 05:52 PM
I'll be sad if he retires. No matter what he has done in 2013 or last season on any prior injury year, he was still the man for many years and truly the most underrated two guard in NBA history. In his prime he was on par with Dwyane Wade as the #2 SG in the league imo. Hope he returns for another year, wouldn't be the same to have Tim out there without Manu at this point

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-30-2015, 05:54 PM

I just don't know what to say anymore..

I don't see anyone singing the praises of Parker in any way, shape, or form right now. Most are pretty pissed at his play in the Clippers series.