PDA

View Full Version : State of the Spurs Heading Into the 2015 Offseason

timvp
06-30-2015, 08:28 AM
Following ring 5 (five), last offsesaon's mission was to bring back the same roster in order to give it another go with the squad that reached a near optimal performance level on their way to the 2014 championship. This summer, the picture isn't nearly as clear.

Before I touch on the free agent options, let us take a journey through the land of the incumbents.

Tim Duncan
Marvel. That's about all I can do when analyzing what Tim Duncan was able to do last season. The 39-year-old put together another awe-inspiring campaign that was capped by the fact that he was the team's best player in the playoffs. Personally, factoring in his age and what appeared to be the end of the road circa 2010, I consider these last three or four seasons to be the most impressive of Duncan's storied career. Instead of Kobefying the team with a huge ego and unwillingness to change or Hakeeming his way out of town when asked to take a lesser role, he has genuinely morphed himself into an elite role player who remains one of the very best bigmen in the NBA.

It goes without saying that the Spurs need him back for the 2015-16 season. Hell, at this rate, I'm hoping Duncan sticks around for another two-plus seasons. Outside of family considerations, I see no reason he should even ponder the thought of retirement. He has so mastered the transition from superstar to complementary piece that he could simply play as long as he wanted to play – barring injury, of course.

Four more years, TD. That's right, I said it.

Manu Ginobili
Sure, Manu Ginobili lost a step or two last season. Yes, at times he appeared to be painfully old. Was it the worst season of the future Hall of Famer's career? Perhaps.

All that said, I want Ginobili to return. I think he has one more useful season left in those contused legs.

While it's clear that he's no longer Ginobili of old, Old Ginobili is still damn good. By any metric you want to utilize, he's still an above average player in the league. Even if he can only play 18-20 minutes per game next season, what he can do in his time on the court is so very vital to making the Spurs a true championship contender.

This is a team – regardless of what happens in free agency – that will need depth and cohesion to succeed. Ginobili remains a fantastic playmaker, particularly when compared to other shooting guards, who is capable of quarterbacking the team during his minutes.

If Ginobili is removed from the puzzle, it would be a sizable loss; the team's ceiling would be much lower. At his price point, the Argentine is virtually irreplaceable.

Come back, Manu. One more year. Por favor.

Tony Parker
*slow exhale*
To say that Tony Parker had a disappointing year would not be a controversial statement. Glimpses of the Frenchman that the Spurs had known for so long were recognizable here and there. Unfortunately, for much of the season, Parker was one of the most frustratingly inept players to step foot on the hardwood.

Now, am I ready to wave the white flag on 33-year-old's career? No. Here's why: 1) He was asked to refrain from basketball activities last summer and the result was a dullness to his game from Day 1. 2) Parker never got in game shape (to put it kindly) at any point during the campaign. 3) Nagging injuries played a role (whether significant or not, I don't know) in his diminished production.

I believe Parker can bounce back – and he already has witnessed the blueprint. Duncan at age 33 looked like he was done. The Spurs had just gotten swept by the Suns in a series in which TD was more often a liability than an asset. However, after recomposing his body and adjusting his mental approach to his altered role, Duncan experienced a rebirth.

Can Parker do the same? It's far from guaranteed but if he enters the season sharp, healthy and in-shape, I believe he can scratch and claw his way to one more high-level season.

Kawhi Leonard
It's been a joy to witness Kawhi Leonard evolve from a timid rookie to a beast capable of taking over games on both ends of the court. It's been so fun; the quiet kid from California has already given Spurs fans a career-worth of fond memories.

I must also admit, though, that I still have no idea how good Leonard can become going forward. He remains such a malleable collection of amorphous talent that I have trouble estimating exactly what is in store.

The first move of the Spurs offseason should be to hand Leonard a blank contract and tell him to fill it out with whatever amount of money and years he desires. He deserves it and will continue to deserve it.

Danny Green
Here is where the summer gets scary. While it's fun to dream of big offseason acquisitions that will splash the NBA landscape with sexy headlines, I am petrified by the thought of the Spurs losing Danny Green. It is literally something I spend time worrying about.

I know that one common opinion regarding Green revolves around the fact that the Spurs picked him up off the scrapheap and could replace him with another overlooked guard itching for a chance to thrive in San Antonio's system. But it just doesn't work that way. For every Danny Green there are a dozen Chucky Browns, Charles Smiths (Spider not Douchebag), Ime Udokas and Keith Bogans.

In Green, the Spurs have one of the most prolific shooters in NBA history. Yes, he's streaky but at the end of the season, you can pencil in Green for 42 percent from beyond the arc. Additionally, he's not afraid of the big stage, he never complains about minutes, he's at peace with his role and the amount of corporate knowledge he has amassed is immense.

It's true that Pop can get frustrated by Green's airheadedness at times; that's clear. And it's true that he's rather limited on offense and it's true that his potential on that end has already been reached. But he can shoot with anyone in the league when he's going good ... and that's a vital attribute in the system. Beyond that, he's a very good defender – both individually and team-wise.

How much is Green worth to the Spurs? Realistically, especially since the salary cap is about to jump, I don't see how the front office balks at paying him even if another team is offering $10-13 million per season. He's a quality starting shooting guard in the NBA at the peak of his athletic prime who is a proven winner. Add it up and it will likely be very expensive to retain him. By summer's end, I hope it's the Spurs footing that expense.

Tiago Splitter
Lost in the talk regarding potential bigman acquisitions this summer is the fact that Tiago Splitter is pretty damn good when healthy. Unfortunately, that qualifier is also what makes him expendable. If the Brazilian could be counted on being healthy, I don't think the Spurs should even waste their time trying to upgrade the position.

But now it's to the point that Splitter's mysterious and lingering calf issue just won't go away. Before his final time injuring it last season, he was playing fantastic basketball. And while he played hard in the playoffs, his physical limitations were painfully obvious and caused him to be a shadow of his healthy self.

I would love for Splitter to remain in San Antonio if it's feasible that he can be healthy. If the front office doesn't think that is a likely outcome, I wouldn't begrudge a trade.

Boris Diaw
I put Boris Diaw in the same category as Ginobili. He's not the perfect player and he has limitations but he's a needed cog in the machine. He improves the team's IQ, depth and flexibility. Losing him would be detrimental to the championship hopes.

Next season, Diaw's ultimate value will largely be based on whether he can regain his three-point shooting touch. If he's a threat from downtown, he's a perfect fit for the system. If he struggles again (he shot only 32% last season compared to 40% the previous season), he'll still be useful but the fit wouldn't be as snug.

Marco Belinelli
Though his stats were down last season, I was moderately pleased with Marco Belinelli. His defense, or lack thereof, limits his value to the Spurs but he's a useful player. He's a threat from the perimeter, he moves well without the ball, he doesn't get intimidated and he's team-oriented.

I wouldn't want him attempting to replace Green in the starting lineup (*shudder*) or otherwise taking a big role with the team, but as a regular season scorer to carry some of the offensive burden, he's helpful.

Patty Mills
The recovery from the shoulder surgery just didn't go as smoothly as everyone hoped. Missing Patty Mills' oomph during the regular season probably cost the Spurs a handful of wins and it'd be a shame if he can't completely rebound for the forthcoming season.

The Australian whirlwind played well in the playoffs so let's hope that is a sign that he'll be ready to roll come October. When he's right, Mills is the conscienceless gunner the bench unit needs to properly space the court and keep the opposition on its toes. He's the perfect complement to Ginobili's playmaking ability and provides the Spurs an x-factor that can tip the scales in their favor at any point.

If Ginobili retires? Mills' weaknesses suddenly aren't as camouflaged and the Spurs might have to investigate whether or not he's still worth his price tag. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Cory Joseph
I thought Cory Joseph had a good season last year. He filled in well when his number was called. He doesn't have much in the natural talent department but he's a try-hard who will carve out a career in the NBA.

Whether Jospeh should be brought back depends on a lot of variables. If Ginobili retires, Joseph being more of a true point guard would narrow the gap between him and Mills. If the Spurs lose guard depth elsewhere, he'd be a good insurance policy with a nice amount of upside.

But if Ginobili returns and the Spurs can retain a majority of their depth, re-signing Joseph should remain on the lower end of the to-do list.

Aron Baynes
I really liked what I saw from Aron Baynes during the regular season. He blossomed in front of our eyes. It was like he grew into his body and figured out how he needed to use his hulking frame on the NBA level.

Then the playoffs happened. With Splitter hampered, Baynes had the opportunity to step up and show the world he is for real. Unfortunately, he fell flat on his face and was terrible against the Clippers.

In theory, I'd like for the Spurs to bring him back but it's unlikely he'd be thrilled with being the fifth big once again. Like Joseph, there are scenarios where bringing back Baynes would make sense, but for now he too remains near the bottom of the to-do list.

Matt Bonner
Meh, as a sixth big on a minimum contract, Matt Bonner is fine. He knows what to do and remains a threat, at least in scouting reports. It'd likely be his last year but the Spurs could do worse filling the end of the bench.

Jeff Ayres
Speak of the devil. Yeah, no, I'm ready for the Spurs to move on. Maybe if the Spurs get desperate for a 13th man … nah, nevermind, I'd rather they not.

Reggie Williams
Well, he's supposed to be able to shoot, even though the Spurs didn't see him hit cord very often last season. If the Spurs lose too many shooters in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie Williams in training camp.

Kyle Anderson
I'm intrigued. He makes Boris Diaw seem like Usain Bolt but Kyle Anderson is crafty and has talent. I think summer league next week will give us a preview of what to expect from him this season. If he stars, it's not out of the question that he could carve out a spot in the rotation. If he blends into the background, he better rent an apartment in Austin.

Let us turn our attention to free agency. In other words, let us speak of LaMarcus Aldridge.

It's the day before free agency so that means the Spurs are the favorites to land a prestigious name. It seems like the Spurs are always rumored to be the preferred destination … but then the bell rings and Mr. Prestigious is off to a larger market or a bigger contract or more limelight.

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on Aldridge signing with the Spurs. He might and he probably should (obviously I'm biased) but I'd be more surprise than relieved.

If the Spurs can sign LaMarcus Aldridge, should they do so? Yes. I really, really want the Spurs to retain Green, but if it comes down to Aldridge or Green, the Spurs obviously have to pick Aldridge. It'd be a no-brainer. All-Star bigmen with prime years left simply do not come knocking on the door often. You sign Aldridge, if that's what he wants, and figure out the rest later. I don't care about his playoff struggles or his supposed questionable attitude or any other purported red flag, the guy is good.

The perfect world would have the Blazers agreeing to a sign-and-trade that would then give the Spurs the financial wherewithal to adequately fill out the rest of their roster. If that doesn't happen, re-signing Leonard and adding Aldridge would still be considered a success, no matter what else happens.

Are there any other big name free agents I'd want the Spurs to chase? I'd love Marc Gasol, but he's not leaving Memphis. Kevin Love in a hypothetical world would be a nice fit, but I can't imagine him signing with the Spurs. Someone like Greg Monroe could be a possibility, but do you potentially blow up your team to max him out? That's difficult to justify.

The Spurs appear to be all-in on Aldridge, which I agree is the smart move. I haven't heard much talk about a Plan B, which also makes sense because I think Plan B should be to try to bring back the same team while possibly adding an undervalued free agent who falls through the cracks of the feeding frenzy.

Unless something goes spectacularly wrong (losing out on Aldridge and seeing a team steal Green, for example) during the offseason, I like San Antonio's chances next season. There will be a lot of Ifs (if Duncan can hold back Father time, if Parker can bounce back, if Leonard to take the next step, etc.) but a successful season with a strong postseason push is entirely possible. And that's what it's all about.

Chinook
06-30-2015, 08:34 AM
Cool.

Mel_13
06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
:wow

Kuestmaster
06-30-2015, 08:36 AM
Are you really you?

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Great. Now get rid of APA_9

NickiRasgo
06-30-2015, 08:42 AM
Yawn. Too many off-season thread. Just kidding! Welcome back! Thought you will post again something like "It still hurts. Part 2." :lol

tav1
06-30-2015, 08:43 AM
Well played.

BoricuaCJA
06-30-2015, 08:45 AM
:wow:wow:wow:wow:wow

bigfan
06-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Heey welcome back and thanks for the article. This forum blows without your insight.

Bartleby
06-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Are you really you?

:lol

That's what I kept asking.

Solid take. See you next year, timvp.

kobyz
06-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Remember 6

FlAVaK
06-30-2015, 08:52 AM
^Did i really just read this!?

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g409/jactrades/Gifs%20and%20Macros/Negative%20Response/EvilSpockEyebrow.gif

NASpurs
06-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Daaaaamn :wow

RD2191
In before Benefactor rant.

DPG21920
Nothing new, but a good collection of thoughts that was a good morning read. This off season has already been fun and lead to some great convos on ST. Spur fans have a lot to be excited about and luckily this off season and all the possiblities has led to a lot of learning (IMO) on ST for a lot of posters too.

Good to see a post from you :tu

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 08:54 AM
Heey welcome back and thanks for the article. This forum blows without your insight.

:rolleyes

RD2191
06-30-2015, 08:55 AM

NASpurs
06-30-2015, 08:56 AM
I know that one common opinion regarding Green revolves around the fact that the Spurs picked him up off the scrapheap and could replace him with another overlooked guard itching for a chance to thrive in San Antonio's system. But it just doesn't work that way. For every Danny Green there are a dozen Chucky Browns, Charles Smiths (Spider not Douchebag), Ime Udokas and Keith Bogans.

Mah nigga :smokin

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 08:57 AM
timvp Not to derail your thread - but if you don't mind - could you PM details on where Bruno went? No worries if you don't want to share, but sucks that Bruno left the site. Hopefully it was for something great.

99 Problems
06-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Hey timvp. :toast

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2015, 09:04 AM
Great. Now get rid of APA_9

Juan
06-30-2015, 09:11 AM
In before Benefactor rant.

monkeypunk
06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Good to see you again, TimVP! Hope you become active on the site, quality posters are at premium atm...

On LMA, I think they work out a way to keep as many of the team together as possible. He has to know that gutting the team would lower his odds of ringing this coming year. Hopefully, he takes the low on a 1+1 assuming he opts out for the big payday after 1. Best of both worlds, increased chance for a ring one year and big money from there on. We shall see.

I like LMA over Splitter but not over Splitter and Green. Wingstop is too precious of a commodity in this small ball league.

Mr. Body
06-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Can you clear out all the racists and homophobes? Thanks.

Bruno
06-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Nice post. :)

NASpurs
06-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Bruno (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=2449) too :wow

Did I time warp? I'm expecting duncan228 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3534) next.

Mel_13
06-30-2015, 09:20 AM

:wow :wow

Mugen
06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Waiting on whott to post now tbh.

RD2191
06-30-2015, 09:21 AM

RD2191
06-30-2015, 09:22 AM
Well that's just a bit much, imo.

Proxy
06-30-2015, 09:24 AM

NASpurs
06-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Waiting on whott to post now tbh.

RIP

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Within the next 48 hours we should have about 90% of the puzzle in place. The majority of what we do will be contingent on the kind of response aldridge gives the Spurs at that sit down. I expect things to move very quickly verbally before July 9

Chinook
06-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Feel like this site is a social experiment or something.

BadOne
06-30-2015, 09:30 AM
:bobo

hater
06-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Porker, Ferrari, Van Horn 2.0, Jim and Lamar - starting lineup for 2015-16 Spurs..

Bench:
CoJo, JR Smoov, Boris, big Aussie, Pendergraph, Pop.

We hang Evitas jersey in November 15.

Lets go :tu

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 09:48 AM
I can't say I'm a fan at all of giving up Green to land Aldridge, I pretty much only want him if the Spurs can land him in a sign and trade, or if Manu retires and they can salary dump Splitter to sign LMA outright without renouncing Green. But the Lakers taking Russell pretty much wipes away the chance of salary dumping Splitter on Philly.

In a vacuum yeah you sign Aldridge at the cost of Green, but I don't give a shit about two years from now because the team is not winning titles without Duncan. I'd like the odds of Splitter being healthy next playoffs more than of the Spurs being able land a starting shooting guard who can even come close to Green using Splitter as trade bait. Guys like Green who are elite on one end of the court and not complete liabilities on the other end aren't easy to find and aren't cheap. I'd rather just lock Green down quick and try to use the MLE to improve if a sign and trade can't be worked out right away to get LMA.

hater
06-30-2015, 09:51 AM
Ok then. Keep your "elite" one trick pony and trot out 40 year old Jim, Brazilian mangina, a fat French, boner and oendergraph in game 1 of the 2016 playoffs :rolleyes

Good luck :lmao

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Ok then. Keep your "elite" one trick pony and trot out 40 year old Jim, Brazilian mangina, a fat French, boner and oendergraph in game 1 of the 2016 playoffs :rolleyes

Good luck :lmao

One trick pony? Green is one of the best defenders in the league, one of the best shooters in the league son. That's at least two tricks. What is your backcourt, Parker and Anderson? They can't even bring Del Negro back in your scenario.

benefactor
06-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Please give away the password to your kobyz troll. It's run it's course tbh.

Thanks in advance.

hater
06-30-2015, 09:55 AM
One trick pony? Green is one of the best defenders in the league, one of the best shooters in the league son. That's at least two tricks. What is your backcourt, Porker and Del Negro?

He can't dribble a damn basketball. You put a hand to his face and he's trash.

Sure he takes advantage of being open when Porker or Evita decide to make a play. But given as that's a thing of the past, 1 trick pony is not essential. Never was

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 09:55 AM
He can't dribble a damn basketball. You put a hand to his face and he's trash.

Sure he takes advantage of being open when Porker or Evita decide to make a play. But given as that's a thing of the past, 1 trick pony is not essential. Never was

So your championship backcourt is Parker and Anderson?

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Or Parker and Mills?

hater
06-30-2015, 09:56 AM
Why do you think Pop would keep Ferrari instead of Green out there??? It's not because he's stupid. Without porker or Evita at their best he becomes completely useless

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:02 AM
If the Spurs can sign LaMarcus Aldridge, should they do so? Yes. I really, really want the Spurs to retain Green, but if it comes down to Aldridge or Green, the Spurs obviously have to pick Aldridge. It'd be a no-brainer. All-Star bigmen with prime years left simply do not come knocking on the door often. You sign Aldridge, if that's what he wants, and figure out the rest later. I don't care about his playoff struggles or his supposed questionable attitude or any other purported red flag, the guy is good.

What do you do for your backcourt if there is no sign and trade? Parker and Mills for 35 minutes a night, Ginobili for 20, Kyle Anderson for 6? You start Leonard at the two and start Anderson at the three? What do you think RC could get for Splitter? An extra big who isn't a defensive force is pretty redundant in this swing player dominated league now. I'd love Aldridge if he only costs the Spurs the chance to have Splitter, Joseph, and Belinelli, but at the cost of having the best perimeter defense in the league in a perimeter oriented league? Losing Green is suicide, it would be like going back to Avery Johnson, Chris Whitney, or Negele Knight at the point in the mid 2000s when you could just keep Parker.

BWS-1994
06-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Had to double take. Good read :toast:

Would be nice to have some clues on Plan B though...

DrSteffo
06-30-2015, 10:04 AM

Nice post from you too man.

RodNIc91
06-30-2015, 10:04 AM
I know you couldnt retire before Pop did. Nice to have you back! And Bruno as well :toast:toast

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Why do you think Pop would keep Ferrari instead of Green out there??? It's not because he's stupid. Without porker or Evita at their best he becomes completely useless

What's your backcourt?

Texas_Ranger
06-30-2015, 10:06 AM
WAWAWIWA :rollin

DrSteffo
06-30-2015, 10:07 AM
:toast to the posters who made this forum kind of fun and the best source of information

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Feel like this site is a social experiment or something.

Agreed. It's nice to read basketball related thoughts, but people acting like the site has no more useful takes other than this one is crazy. We've had some great conversations and I'm sure quite a few people have learned a lot this off season about the salary cap, team management & roster building.

itsamanuthree
06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
What's your backcourt?

Apparently Tony and Belli :lol

hater
06-30-2015, 10:09 AM
What's your backcourt?

as someone said above. If you can, you sign Alridge and figure the rest later. thats the best chance to become contenders again.

we obviously cannot be contenders with Parker being our best hope anymore. That ship has sailed. Oh and Kawhi is no franchise player. He's a great 2nd banana.

Alridge, Duncan, Porker, Kawhi = a great start

Porker, Green, Kawhi, Duncan = more of the same most likely. 1st round fodder again most likely.

RD2191
:toast to the posters who made this forum kind of fun and the best source of information
Thanks. I can't take all the credit though.

Baam
:bobo

minuzzo21
06-30-2015, 10:11 AM
Great timvp

hater
06-30-2015, 10:12 AM
Apparently Tony and Belli :lol

Tony, Ferrari, Kawhi, Duncan, Lamar >>>>>>>>> Tony, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter

it's not even in the same ballpark

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
as someone said above. If you can, you sign Alridge and figure the rest later. thats the best chance to become contenders again.

we obviously cannot be contenders with Parker being our best hope anymore. That ship has sailed. Oh and Kawhi is no franchise player. He's a great 2nd banana.

Alridge, Duncan, Porker, Kawhi = a great start

Porker, Green, Kawhi, Duncan = more of the same most likely. 1st round fodder again most likely.

Stop dodging the question, what's your backcourt?

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:14 AM
Tony, Ferrari, Kawhi, Duncan, Lamar >>>>>>>>> Tony, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter

Are you retarded, they have to renounce Belinelli with Green if they can't work a sign and trade and want to sign Aldridge outright.

hater
06-30-2015, 10:15 AM
Are you retarded, they have to renounce Belinelli with Green if they can't work a sign and trade and want to sign Aldridge outright.

put in a similar caliber player. Sign Lamar, figure out the rest later. :rolleyes

thinking one trick Pony is essential to the Spurs and we should maneuver the entire franchise around it is retarded

DrSteffo
06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
I cant read what robdiaz or Baam writes because I have them on ignore. I only wish good posters would post more and ignorant trolls would post less,

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
put in a similar caliber player. Sign Lamar, figure out the rest later. :rolleyes

What similar caliber player? They'll have the minimum to spend and if they can't work out a sign & trade the would mean the market for Splitter would probably be pretty dry.

itsamanuthree
06-30-2015, 10:17 AM

Opponents would have a feast with that backourt day in day out.

hater
What similar caliber player? They'll have the minimum to spend and if they can't work out a sign & trade the would mean the market for Splitter would probably be pretty dry.

thinking one trick Pony is essential to the Spurs and we should maneuver the entire franchise around it is even more retarded

benefactor

Good to see you again, TimVP! Hope you become active on the site, quality posters are at premium atm...

Can you clear out all the racists and homophobes? Thanks.

Great timvp
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/2364306/bruno-psychic-o.gif

hater
Opponents would have a feast with that backourt day in day out.

that already happened in 2015 tbh :lol Shved :lol Teletovic :lol beno :lol Austin Rivers

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:19 AM
hater, You're like fucking Obama ducking questions. What minimum shooting guard starts next to Parker? Or what do you get for Splitter in a market that isn't valuing him for much if the Spurs couldn't work a sign and trade? Parker + minimum player as your backcourt?

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 10:19 AM
Good news is, as discussed at length before, Spurs don't have to get rid of DG to get LMA. Yes, it's a concern in the event SA can't trade Tiago or Boris and a guy like Mills, but that doesn't seem likely. The only other major concern is if Danny gets a bigger than expected offer 14M+ and Holt has a firm budget that he refuses to go over no matter what.

hater
06-30-2015, 10:20 AM
:lol Green dickriders are funny

we should prioritize re-signing a guy that can't dribble a basketball over the most coveted free agent franchise bigman of the summer :lol

wow

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:20 AM
Good news is, as discussed at length before, Spurs don't have to get rid of DG to get LMA. Yes, it's a concern in the event SA can't trade Tiago or Boris and a guy like Mills, but that doesn't seem likely. The only other major concern is if Danny gets a bigger than expected offer 14M+ and Holt has a firm budget that he refuses to go over no matter what.

They most likely do if Manu is returning though, unless they can work a sign and trade.

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:21 AM
:lol Green dickriders are funny

we should prioritize re-signing a guy that can't dribble a basketball over the most coveted free agent franchise bigman of the summer :lol

wow

You can't answer a simple question.

hater
06-30-2015, 10:23 AM
You can't answer a simple question.

already did. plug in whoever. you have all season to plug in and plug out average SGs. :rolleyes

you get only 1 shot at the franchise bigman.

anyway, all this is moot. Lamar is going to LA

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 10:23 AM
They most likely do if Manu is returning though, unless they can work a sign and trade.

Nope, even in the event of Manu returning, that should not impact Green. Spurs can still get the cap space with Manu returning by moving just Tiago/Mills as long as Duncan's deal is the same (or less) as reported - 6M.

With Manu, the only way he impacts that is if he wants more than the BAE which seems very unlikely at this point.

And like you said, there is also the S&T route. There are many ways to get LMA while keeping Green as long as Tim's money is where it's been reported and the Spurs can find takers for Mills/Splitter.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Read the whole post thinking it was written by Chinook. Then I realized it wasn't when I saw the comments :lol

baseline bum
already did. plug in whoever. you have all season to plug in and plug out average SGs. :rolleyes

you get only 1 shot at the franchise bigman.

anyway, all this is moot. Lamar is going to LA

How are you getting an average shooting guard with a minimum salary slot? That's Bonner money, not average shooting guard money.

baseline bum
Nope, even in the event of Manu returning, that should not impact Green. Spurs can still get the cap space with Manu returning by moving just Tiago/Mills as long as Duncan's deal is the same (or less) as reported - 6M.

With Manu, the only way he impacts that is if he wants more than the BAE which seems very unlikely at this point.

And like you said, there is also the S&T route. There are many ways to get LMA while keeping Green as long as Tim's money is where it's been reported and the Spurs can find takers for Mills/Splitter.

You really think Manu would play for less than Mills?

hater
06-30-2015, 10:26 AM
How are you getting an average shooting guard with a minimum salary slot? That's Bonner money, not average shooting guard money.

1. Green is NOT that good. Plenty of players out there that could fill in successfully if we have a franchise bigman next to Duncan up front.
2. I'm not going to do a $ for $ analysis of which SGs we can possibly get as it's a waste of time at this point
3. All this is moot. LA is going to LA
4. Green is NOT as good as you make him to be. Sure, his D is nice to have and when open can shoot it. But he's not going to be open if we have Splitter and Duncan up front.

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 10:26 AM
You really think Manu would play for less than Mills?

Absolutely - especially if he see's Tim taking a massive pay cut. Also, keep in mind, it wouldn't be less than Mills. If Manu took the BAE (like Tim taking 6M in year 1) what the Spurs likely do is offer both of them partial guarantees on the 2nd year which actually inflates their deal (although delayed slightly).

BAE for Manu really has him making around 5M for the one year and 6M for Tim has him making 10M for one year.

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:28 AM
1. Green is NOT that good. Plenty of players out there that could fill in successfully if we have a franchise bigman next to Duncan up front.
2. I'm not going to do a $ for $ analysis of which SGs we can possibly get as it's a waste of time at this point
3. All this is moot. LA is going to LA
4. Green is NOT as good as you make him to be.

Once again you can't answer a simple fucking question.

spurs10
06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Excellent on target read! Glad you and ST are back!

hater
06-30-2015, 10:30 AM
Once again you can't answer a simple fucking question.

already answered. Fill in whoever. With a franchise bigman + Duncan + Kawhi. Anyone can play.

Fuck, put in Deladelovalova, bring a fucking euro scrub, bring back Neal, whatever

Porker, euro Scrub, kawhi, Duncan, Lamar >>>>>>>>> Porker, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter

baseline bum
Absolutely - especially if he see's Tim taking a massive pay cut. Also, keep in mind, it wouldn't be less than Mills. If Manu took the BAE (like Tim taking 6M in year 1) what the Spurs likely do is offer both of them partial guarantees on the 2nd year which actually inflates their deal (although delayed slightly).

BAE for Manu really has him making around 5M for the one year and 6M for Tim has him making 10M for one year.

I don't know, I don't see it. He has tons of money and these seasons are starting to be real grinds for Manu as his body breaks down. I'm not even sure I'd want him to take a huge paycut and then get in the mindset of not having to live up to a decent contract as the season drags on.

DPG21920
I don't know, I don't see it. He has tons of money and these seasons are starting to be real grinds for Manu as his body breaks down. I'm not even sure I'd want him to take a huge paycut and then get in the mindset of not having to live up to a decent contract as the season drags on.

It wouldn't be that big of a paycut..

Kamnik
06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
If timvp posts... i need to post after a long loooong time. :)

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
already answered. Fill in whoever. With a franchise bigman + Duncan + Kawhi. Anyone can play.

Fuck, put in Deladelovalova, bring a fucking euro scrub, bring back Neal, whatever

Porker, euro Scrub, kawhi, Duncan, Lamar >>>>>>>>> Porker, Green, Kawhi, Duncan, Splitter

Neal's not a minimum player. Dellavedova won't be either.

peacemaker885
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the post sir! You are sorely missed over here.

hater
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Neal's not a minimum player. Dellavedova won't be either.

^ not getting the point.

ducks
06-30-2015, 10:37 AM
paul pierce

Bartleby
06-30-2015, 10:39 AM
We've had some great conversations and I'm sure quite a few people have learned a lot this off season about the salary cap, team management & roster building.

True, but it seems you have to wade through a lot more bullshit to get the good stuff these days.

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 10:42 AM
DPG about this off-season:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/16b302b726f89db27d607f97c30f01fb/tumblr_inline_nekyg3o1FM1qgejte.gif

manufan10
06-30-2015, 10:47 AM

http://38.media.tumblr.com/16b302b726f89db27d607f97c30f01fb/tumblr_inline_nekyg3o1FM1qgejte.gif

Darth_Pelican
06-30-2015, 10:50 AM
It stopped hurting

eric365
06-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Haven't read the post yet but really glad timvp and bruno are back :toast

TXstbobcat
06-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Glad to see you back, I miss reading your posts.

ducks
06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
QUESTION IS BRUNO AND TIMPVP THE SAME PERSON

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 11:15 AM
^ not getting the point.

True, I am not getting the point of having a garbage backcourt in a perimeter oriented league.

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Im soooo.... scared too buddy.

Chinook
06-30-2015, 11:22 AM
It stopped hurting

Nah, just a moment of lucidity in an otherwise endless morphine-induced haze.

BatManu20
06-30-2015, 11:25 AM
wat

hater
06-30-2015, 11:28 AM
True, I am not getting the point of having a garbage backcourt in a perimeter oriented league.

we already had a garbage backcourt last playoffs with Green.

Green with hands on his face does not make our backcourt less of a garbage

-21-
06-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Nice to hear from timvp and Bruno again. :toast

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Good summation. Aldridge feels like another free agency strikeout.

IMO. :hat

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Good summation. Aldridge feels like another free agency strikeout.

IMO. :hat

I honestly think he's leaving, or why does Portland just gut their team by losing Batum, sounding like they're letting Afflalo walk, and with Matthews likely to be a shell of his former self. I don't buy the hype that San Antonio is some massive favorite though if he walks, especially if Manu is returning.

benstanfield
06-30-2015, 11:40 AM
wait wat

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Well that's just a bit much, imo.
:lmao

BillMc
06-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Following ring 5 (five), last offsesaon's mission was to bring back the same roster in order to give it another go with the squad that reached a near optimal performance level on their way to the 2014 championship. This summer, the picture isn't nearly as clear.

Before I touch on the free agent options, let us take a journey through the land of the incumbents.

Tim Duncan
Marvel. That's about all I can do when analyzing what Tim Duncan was able to do last season. The 39-year-old put together another awe-inspiring campaign that was capped by the fact that he was the team's best player in the playoffs. Personally, factoring in his age and what appeared to be the end of the road circa 2010, I consider these last three or four seasons to be the most impressive of Duncan's storied career. Instead of Kobefying the team with a huge ego and unwillingness to change or Hakeeming his way out of town when asked to take a lesser role, he has genuinely morphed himself into an elite role player who remains one of the very best bigmen in the NBA.

It goes without saying that the Spurs need him back for the 2015-16 season. Hell, at this rate, I'm hoping Duncan sticks around for another two-plus seasons. Outside of family considerations, I see no reason he should even ponder the thought of retirement. He has so mastered the transition from superstar to complementary piece that he could simply play as long as he wanted to play – barring injury, of course.

Four more years, TD. That's right, I said it.

Manu Ginobili
Sure, Manu Ginobili lost a step or two last season. Yes, at times he appeared to be painfully old. Was it the worst season of the future Hall of Famer's career? Perhaps.

All that said, I want Ginobili to return. I think he has one more useful season left in those contused legs.

While it's clear that he's no longer Ginobili of old, Old Ginobili is still damn good. By any metric you want to utilize, he's still an above average player in the league. Even if he can only play 18-20 minutes per game next season, what he can do in his time on the court is so very vital to making the Spurs a true championship contender.

This is a team – regardless of what happens in free agency – that will need depth and cohesion to succeed. Ginobili remains a fantastic playmaker, particularly when compared to other shooting guards, who is capable of quarterbacking the team during his minutes.

If Ginobili is removed from the puzzle, it would be a sizable loss; the team's ceiling would be much lower. At his price point, the Argentine is virtually irreplaceable.

Come back, Manu. One more year. Por favor.

Tony Parker
*slow exhale*
To say that Tony Parker had a disappointing year would not be a controversial statement. Glimpses of the Frenchman that the Spurs had known for so long were recognizable here and there. Unfortunately, for much of the season, Parker was one of the most frustratingly inept players to step foot on the hardwood.

Now, am I ready to wave the white flag on 33-year-old's career? No. Here's why: 1) He was asked to refrain from basketball activities last summer and the result was a dullness to his game from Day 1. 2) Parker never got in game shape (to put it kindly) at any point during the campaign. 3) Nagging injuries played a role (whether significant or not, I don't know) in his diminished production.

I believe Parker can bounce back – and he already has witnessed the blueprint. Duncan at age 33 looked like he was done. The Spurs had just gotten swept by the Suns in a series in which TD was more often a liability than an asset. However, after recomposing his body and adjusting his mental approach to his altered role, Duncan experienced a rebirth.

Can Parker do the same? It's far from guaranteed but if he enters the season sharp, healthy and in-shape, I believe he can scratch and claw his way to one more high-level season.

Kawhi Leonard
It's been a joy to witness Kawhi Leonard evolve from a timid rookie to a beast capable of taking over games on both ends of the court. It's been so fun; the quiet kid from California has already given Spurs fans a career-worth of fond memories.

I must also admit, though, that I still have no idea how good Leonard can become going forward. He remains such a malleable collection of amorphous talent that I have trouble estimating exactly what is in store.

The first move of the Spurs offseason should be to hand Leonard a blank contract and tell him to fill it out with whatever amount of money and years he desires. He deserves it and will continue to deserve it.

Danny Green
Here is where the summer gets scary. While it's fun to dream of big offseason acquisitions that will splash the NBA landscape with sexy headlines, I am petrified by the thought of the Spurs losing Danny Green. It is literally something I spend time worrying about.

In Green, the Spurs have one of the most prolific shooters in NBA history. Yes, he's streaky but at the end of the season, you can pencil in Green for 42 percent from beyond the arc. Additionally, he's not afraid of the big stage, he never complains about minutes, he's at peace with his role and the amount of corporate knowledge he has amassed is immense.

It's true that Pop can get frustrated by Green's airheadedness at times; that's clear. And it's true that he's rather limited on offense and it's true that his potential on that end has already been reached. But he can shoot with anyone in the league when he's going good ... and that's a vital attribute in the system. Beyond that, he's a very good defender – both individually and team-wise.

How much is Green worth to the Spurs? Realistically, especially since the salary cap is about to jump, I don't see how the front office balks at paying him even if another team is offering $10-13 million per season. He's a quality starting shooting guard in the NBA at the peak of his athletic prime who is a proven winner. Add it up and it will likely be very expensive to retain him. By summer's end, I hope it's the Spurs footing that expense.

Tiago Splitter
Lost in the talk regarding potential bigman acquisitions this summer is the fact that Tiago Splitter is pretty damn good when healthy. Unfortunately, that qualifier is also what makes him expendable. If the Brazilian could be counted on being healthy, I don't think the Spurs should even waste their time trying to upgrade the position.

But now it's to the point that Splitter's mysterious and lingering calf issue just won't go away. Before his final time injuring it last season, he was playing fantastic basketball. And while he played hard in the playoffs, his physical limitations were painfully obvious and caused him to be a shadow of his healthy self.

I would love for Splitter to remain in San Antonio if it's feasible that he can be healthy. If the front office doesn't think that is a likely outcome, I wouldn't begrudge a trade.

Boris Diaw
I put Boris Diaw in the same category as Ginobili. He's not the perfect player and he has limitations but he's a needed cog in the machine. He improves the team's IQ, depth and flexibility. Losing him would be detrimental to the championship hopes.

Next season, Diaw's ultimate value will largely be based on whether he can regain his three-point shooting touch. If he's a threat from downtown, he's a perfect fit for the system. If he struggles again (he shot only 32% last season compared to 40% the previous season), he'll still be useful but the fit wouldn't be as snug.

Marco Belinelli
Though his stats were down last season, I was moderately pleased with Marco Belinelli. His defense, or lack thereof, limits his value to the Spurs but he's a useful player. He's a threat from the perimeter, he moves well without the ball, he doesn't get intimidated and he's team-oriented.

I wouldn't want him attempting to replace Green in the starting lineup (*shudder*) or otherwise taking a big role with the team, but as a regular season scorer to carry some of the offensive burden, he's helpful.

Patty Mills
The recovery from the shoulder surgery just didn't go as smoothly as everyone hoped. Missing Patty Mills' oomph during the regular season probably cost the Spurs a handful of wins and it'd be a shame if he can't completely rebound for the forthcoming season.

The Australian whirlwind played well in the playoffs so let's hope that is a sign that he'll be ready to roll come October. When he's right, Mills is the conscienceless gunner the bench unit needs to properly space the court and keep the opposition on its toes. He's the perfect complement to Ginobili's playmaking ability and provides the Spurs an x-factor that can tip the scales in their favor at any point.

If Ginobili retires? Mills' weaknesses suddenly aren't as camouflaged and the Spurs might have to investigate whether or not he's still worth his price tag. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Cory Joseph
I thought Cory Joseph had a good season last year. He filled in well when his number was called. He doesn't have much in the natural talent department but he's a try-hard who will carve out a career in the NBA.

Whether Jospeh should be brought back depends on a lot of variables. If Ginobili retires, Joseph being more of a true point guard would narrow the gap between him and Mills. If the Spurs lose guard depth elsewhere, he'd be a good insurance policy with a nice amount of upside.

But if Ginobili returns and the Spurs can retain a majority of their depth, re-signing Joseph should remain on the lower end of the to-do list.

Aron Baynes
I really liked what I saw from Aron Baynes during the regular season. He blossomed in front of our eyes. It was like he grew into his body and figured out how he needed to use his hulking frame on the NBA level.

Then the playoffs happened. With Splitter hampered, Baynes had the opportunity to step up and show the world he is for real. Unfortunately, he fell flat on his face and was terrible against the Clippers.

In theory, I'd like for the Spurs to bring him back but it's unlikely he'd be thrilled with being the fifth big once again. Like Joseph, there are scenarios where bringing back Baynes would make sense, but for now he too remains near the bottom of the to-do list.

Matt Bonner
Meh, as a sixth big on a minimum contract, Matt Bonner is fine. He knows what to do and remains a threat, at least in scouting reports. It'd likely be his last year but the Spurs could do worse filling the end of the bench.

Jeff Ayres
Speak of the devil. Yeah, no, I'm ready for the Spurs to move on. Maybe if the Spurs get desperate for a 13th man … nah, nevermind, I'd rather they not.

Reggie Williams
Well, he's supposed to be able to shoot, even though the Spurs didn't see him hit cord very often last season. If the Spurs lose too many shooters in the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie Williams in training camp.

Kyle Anderson
I'm intrigued. He makes Boris Diaw seem like Usain Bolt but Kyle Anderson is crafty and has talent. I think summer league next week will give us a preview of what to expect from him this season. If he stars, it's not out of the question that he could carve out a spot in the rotation. If he blends into the background, he better rent an apartment in Austin.

Let us turn our attention to free agency. In other words, let us speak of LaMarcus Aldridge.

It's the day before free agency so that means the Spurs are the favorites to land a prestigious name. It seems like the Spurs are always rumored to be the preferred destination … but then the bell rings and Mr. Prestigious is off to a larger market or a bigger contract or more limelight.

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on Aldridge signing with the Spurs. He might and he probably should (obviously I'm biased) but I'd be more surprise than relieved.

The perfect world would have the Blazers agreeing to a sign-and-trade that would then give the Spurs the financial wherewithal to adequately fill out the rest of their roster. If that doesn't happen, re-signing Leonard and adding Aldridge would still be considered a success, no matter what else happens.

Are there any other big name free agents I'd want the Spurs to chase? I'd love Marc Gasol, but he's not leaving Memphis. Kevin Love in a hypothetical world would be a nice fit, but I can't imagine him signing with the Spurs. Someone like Greg Monroe could be a possibility, but do you potentially blow up your team to max him out? That's difficult to justify.

The Spurs appear to be all-in on Aldridge, which I agree is the smart move. I haven't heard much talk about a Plan B, which also makes sense because I think Plan B should be to try to bring back the same team while possibly adding an undervalued free agent who falls through the cracks of the feeding frenzy.

Unless something goes spectacularly wrong (losing out on Aldridge and seeing a team steal Green, for example) during the offseason, I like San Antonio's chances next season. There will be a lot of Ifs (if Duncan can hold back Father time, if Parker can bounce back, if Leonard to take the next step, etc.) but a successful season with a strong postseason push is entirely possible. And that's what it's all about.

Great write up and great to see you and Bruno back. The collective IQ of this site just went up 40 points. :toast

Drom John
06-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Welcome back all y'all.

ducks
06-30-2015, 11:47 AM
WHY DO PEOPLE QUOTE A BIG POST?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2015, 11:49 AM

honestfool84
06-30-2015, 11:56 AM
When is duncan228 coming back?!

Robz4000
06-30-2015, 11:56 AM
:cry it stopped hurting for a bit :cry

Good read tho :tu. Looking like LMA goes to the Lakers or ultimately stays in Portland. It'd be frightening if he ends up in Houston somehow.

honestfool84
06-30-2015, 11:57 AM
On the flip side, it really is great to have you back, timvp. My sources tell me that you have insider information that Aldridge is for sure signing with the Spurs, and so you are returning once more to SpursTalk to 'bring the forum back to the light'.

Dex
06-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Good stuff. Thanks timvp. :tu Miss seeing your write-ups around here.

Chinook
06-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Their attempt to write of signing-and-trading is idiotic. The Spurs would have to give up $13 Million to take LMA, so they'd be $20 Million from the apron in that scenario, not $7 Million. Plenty of room to fill out the roster.

ElNono
06-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Great read, as usual. Good timing too. :tu

06-30-2015, 12:25 PM

I've never been 100% sold on Aldridge especially with talks about trading away Splitter/Diaw/Mills and/or letting Green go. Combined that with losing 1-2 of those 4 mentioned players AND possibly losing Ginobili, Belineli, and Baynes the Spurs will be damn thin at the bench. It's not worth destroying the entire bench just to sign Aldridge. And Aldridge will be 30 in a few weeks. His best days may be behind him.

I really hope the Spurs FO has a cap plan to retain an effective team if Aldridge signs. If they can, then the Spurs should definitely roll the dice on Aldridge. Duncan may only be back for 1 or 2 years so they should push for another championship during this time even if Aldridge starts declining rapidly past age 32.

Gagnrath
06-30-2015, 12:30 PM

thinking one trick Pony is essential to the Spurs and we should maneuver the entire franchise around it is retarded

Hater there are three moderately important things you are forgetting.

1. This Isn't 1995 or even 2005 in today's NBA rules changes and officiating changes have made having a back down bigman, and especially 2 of them less essential. The guy driving to the basket can bowl people over, the guy who had position gets knocked down and the driving player goes to the line even with established position. (a majority of the time).

2. Green isn't simply a well above average defensive player, he is one of the top handful of 3 point shooters in the league. The problem is that even though he has a green light to shoot he is also icy hot in that he's streaky as hell.

3. Most teams have converted to a guard or wing centric offense Parker who was never more than an adequate defender to start with has lost a step or 3 and also wants to conserve energy for offense. Parker is going no where. How many high level defenders with decent shooting are there out there in your world and how many can be had for around $10 mill per year?

Also please remember the spurs have a fairly short window here and system knowledge usually takes about a year to acquire.

Vic Petro
06-30-2015, 12:32 PM
Hope this is more of a return than a cameo. Welcome back guys.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-30-2015, 12:49 PM
He lives!

Great post Timvp.

I agree with you for the most part. To me, Parker is a huge concern. His drop-off in performance in 2015 was significant and can't be ignored. I'm hoping his competitive nature will fuel him to transform his body and come back stronger than ever. I'm a little concerned about his drive to do that, though. And even if he does, he's a speed oriented, shoot first point-guard. Tim's game was never based on things like speed and quickness, that, once they're gone, never seems to come back in youthful volumes. Not only will Parker's body need to transform, his game will have to change. He'll need to continue to expand his arsenal of offensive plays and become more of a facilitator than he's ever been.

Hopefully the Spurs reputation as the top franchise in professional sports will be enough to lure a player like Aldridge. The Spurs, for all their greatness, will need an anchor, a franchise player to build around. Leonard may be that player, although at this point he's looking more like the Scottie Pippen than the Michael Jordan. We'll see how he continues to progress.

cjw
06-30-2015, 12:57 PM
I honestly think he's leaving, or why does Portland just gut their team by losing Batum, sounding like they're letting Afflalo walk, and with Matthews likely to be a shell of his former self. I don't buy the hype that San Antonio is some massive favorite though if he walks, especially if Manu is returning.

It could just be that Manu is waiting to hear if Aldridge is coming back (or the gang is generally coming back together) before deciding to suit it up for next year. Last thing he probably wants to do at this point is commit to a team that has no Green and no Aldridge = him having to shoulder more of the SG duties and more of scoring load.

cjw
06-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Aldridge max contract = ~94% x $67.1mm = $18.9mm

For sign-and-trade to work, Spurs would have to ship out $13.9mm in salary ($5mm less than incoming). Splitter is almost certain to be included at $8.5mm, bringing the difference down to $5.4mm. Patty is at $3.58mm, so still a difference of $1.842mm. Is Reggie Williams' contract fully unguaranteed and could it be included? Still leaves them short of a full max offer unless another player were included in S&T. Only Anderson + Marco (if he can be included in S&T) + CoJo (if he hadn't already signed an offer sheet) could bridge the difference.

If they go the cap space route, Aldridge + Parker + Diaw + Kawhi + Mills + Anderson = $51.817mm. Assuming Splitter can be shipped out for no salary in return and counting Duncan at $6 million (Manu either gone or signed to BAE), plus cap holds for the veteran's minimum would put them at $60.442, or $6-$7mm under the cap for one player plus the room exception left to replace Green. Keeping Green in place would require Tim to take one for the team, or for Mills to be shipped out.

There are ways there, though none are painless.

Thanks for correction, Richie.

spurraider21
06-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Inb4

Thought I was done crying, then I see this thread. :lol Fuck you Timvp. We miss you and love you dude.

RD2191
:lmao

ElNono
Hopefully Parker runs instead of bouncing, tbh... we should have a better picture about him in September when the French NT plays...

Richie
06-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Aldridge max contract = ~94% x $67.1mm = $18.9mm

For 150% + $100k sign-and-trade to work, Spurs would have to ship out $12.55mm in salary. Splitter is almost certain to be included at $8.5mm, bringing the difference down to $4.05mm. Patty is at $3.58mm, so still a difference of $500k. Is Reggie Williams' contract fully unguaranteed? Or would someone like Anderson need to be included to ensure Aldridge can top out at the full max?

If they go the cap space route, Aldridge + Parker + Diaw + Kawhi + Mills + Anderson = $51.817mm. Assuming Splitter can be shipped out for no salary in return and counting Duncan at $6 million (Manu either gone or signed to BAE), plus cap holds for the veteran's minimum would put them at $60.442, or $6-$7mm under the cap for one player plus the room exception left to replace Green. Keeping Green in place would require Tim to take one for the team, or for Mills to be shipped out.

There are ways there, though none are painless.

If we're shipping out more than $10m, we can take back whatever we ship out plus $5m. Therefore to get to Aldridges max, we need to send Portland at least $13.9m of salary.

Mugen
06-30-2015, 01:31 PM
S&T Mills/Splitter/Homeless Harden/and Livio Jean Grey to the Blazers tbh.

cjw
06-30-2015, 01:34 PM
If we're shipping out more than $10m, we can take back whatever we ship out plus $5m. Therefore to get to Aldridges max, we need to send Portland at least $13.9m of salary.

Fixed, thanks. Forgot about ratchet at $10mm.

GSH
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Aron Baynes

For his first 3 seasons in the NBA, Mozgov didn't look like a keeper, either. True centers don't usually show up fully-developed to NBA specs. And a lot of good players have been overwhelmed by their first experience in the playoffs.

He's a big, strong kid with some court awareness, and no fear. There just aren't a lot of those around. They would be foolish to let him get away, if they could keep him at a reasonable price.

If the Spurs do let him go, I'd be willing to bet that Kevin McHale would be willing to take him, and teach him how to use that size and be a little more... nasty.

Vic Petro
06-30-2015, 01:55 PM

monkeypunk
06-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Do not want to see Splitter on a direct rival...

CGD
06-30-2015, 02:08 PM

This was obviously the play.

ducks
06-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Do not want to see Splitter on a direct rival...

Back east sees Spurs 2 times a year chances healthy both time 25 percent

Brazil
06-30-2015, 02:16 PM
:lol the fuck is going on ? Timvp and Bruno ? :wow

CGD
06-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Could someone who knows trade exception stuff explain if this is possible (or why not):

Diaw/Tiago traded into the Magic's cap space, Spurs take back Mo Harkless/Nicholson (each at 2m), and resulting unbalanced trade generates a trade exception to Spurs for the balance. Then doing unbalanced trade for LMA using the exception and possibly dangling Hackless/Nicholson to Blazers as a poor mans Batum replacement.

Proceed to sign green with bird rights, extend QO to Baynes and COJO, and fill out roster with MLE.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Hopefully it's for splitter and beli

Dre_7
06-30-2015, 02:31 PM
I love that timvp is back, at least for now. His takes are almost always spot on and I strongly agree with most everything in his post. Nice to read from you again!

DrSteffo
06-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Wow....:whine:toast As for the envious post by Benefactor...we all know you are an ugly wanker already.

wildbill2u
06-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Since Bruno and TimVP may be still looking at this thread, I have a question. I remember a few years ago Tim Duncan and Ginobilli restructured their contracts to take less money to help the Spurs with the cap. Now that Parker got his max extension and has that money guaranteed, could he restructure his contract to more years to help give us more room to sign LA. He would be following in the footsteps of the other parts of the Big 3 to help the Spurs.

Just a thought and a question as to whether it could be done.

spurraider21
06-30-2015, 03:05 PM
so vanilla.. ugh, tbh..

Brazil
06-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Since Bruno and TimVP may be still looking at this thread, I have a question. I remember a few years ago Tim Duncan and Ginobilli restructured their contracts to take less money to help the Spurs with the cap. Now that Parker got his max extension and has that money guaranteed, could he restructure his contract to more years to help give us more room to sign LA. He would be following in the footsteps of the other parts of the Big 3 to help the Spurs.

Under CBA NBA players cannot renegotiate their contract downward to help out a team salary gap

DPG21920
06-30-2015, 04:35 PM

Don't know how I missed this. Welcome back?

RD2191
06-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Where the hell is Benefactor? I'm waiting for him to rip timvp a new one.

Brazil
06-30-2015, 04:41 PM

a bit more details for those who wonder:

Per Larry Coons NBA Salary Cap FAQ -
A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 4.5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.
Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap (and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

You can renegotiate the length of the contract but has to keep value of the total contract and this is only after third year

Spurs9
06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
I'm excited either way tbh

monkeypunk
06-30-2015, 04:46 PM

Had his chance on the first page but his vag got in way of a direct attack. He chose to call out posters for appreciating the return of someone who actually posts after they think, which is increasingly rare on this site. Surprised we haven't seen more of Bene's alts though, tbh...

gambit1990
06-30-2015, 04:53 PM
does it still hurt?

benefactor
06-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Sober, tbh.:lol

Sure is a lot of this in this thread though...

https://31.media.tumblr.com/f9b5e815e98138b10bd7f870402474c3/tumblr_mhlwxniIVG1rfi2izo4_250.gif

RD2191
06-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Sober, tbh.:lol

Sure is a lot of this in this thread though...

https://31.media.tumblr.com/f9b5e815e98138b10bd7f870402474c3/tumblr_mhlwxniIVG1rfi2izo4_250.gif
:lolyup. Pretty pathetic to see grown men ass kissing.

Dingle Barry
06-30-2015, 06:47 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OsJwCLK5Vy0/U-hJE8d1iJI/AAAAAAAAEds/4ytGe0BuHyE/s1600/Thereyouare.gif

Strategic
06-30-2015, 10:28 PM
Nice take. Wasn't sure you were watching the team this year. Obviously you were. Interesting take on TP. I think we'll learn much about Tony's BB IQ this season. Wouldn't say I'm indifferent about getting LA to sign, but tearing up the chemistry I don't like. Without the system don't think TD can be as effective for his final seasons. Thanks for the post.

L.I.T
06-30-2015, 10:38 PM
So, is this like old posters day or something?

Cool.

Spur|n|Austin
06-30-2015, 10:44 PM
:lol this thread

Nice read timvp here's to the excitement (or lack thereof) in the days to come :bobo

Uriel
06-30-2015, 10:48 PM
HOLY FUCK people are coming back. :wow

Uriel
06-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Tony Parker
*slow exhale*

Someone's been lurking. :lol

Nathan89
06-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Diaw's 3pt shooting becomes less of an issue once LMA signs tbh

lurker23
07-01-2015, 12:33 AM
Parting with Green to get Aldridge should remain the last option. Trading Splitter or Splitter/Mills in some form or fashion is much preferable to letting Green walk.

ducks
07-03-2015, 06:22 PM
are spurs better or worse right now

Mr. Body
07-03-2015, 06:23 PM
are spurs better or worse right now

Than what?

ducks
07-03-2015, 06:24 PM
then they were heading into the offseason

Mr. Body
07-03-2015, 06:26 PM