PDA

View Full Version : Apple to buy Greece in friendly takeover.

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 12:39 PM
Seriously (?) suggested... thank you internets...

Months of negotiations have failed to produce an agreement on Greece's massive €271 billion (£193bn; $303bn) debt.
To satisfy its creditors, the country needs to produce €1.6 billion by the end of Tuesday.
It's a big ask.
The world wide web has thrown up all sorts of unconventional strategies for keeping the country afloat, including the idea that Apple step in and buy it.
Apple's €217 billion cash hoard could put a pretty large dent in Greece's debt, but the tech giant is not in the market for a country, said CEO Tim Cook.

Step in plucky Londoner Thom Feeney, who set up a crowdfunding page asking all of Europe to have a look down the back of the sofa.
"The European Union is home to 503 million people, if we all just chip in a few euro then we can get Greece sorted and hopefully get them back on track soon. Easy."
Easy? Well, in theory, if everyone in the EU, minus the population of Greece, donated €3.25, it would cover Tuesday's payment.

To pay off Greece's debt in full? Everyone in the EU would need to donate €550.

........(read more, its funny:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33326534 ) :lol

RD2191
06-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Explain what is actually going on in Greece and what the outcome will be if you can please.

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Explain what is actually going on in Greece and what the outcome will be if you can please.

Greece has a very, very, very generous pension system that allows you to retire with a suite of benefits at some ridiculous age like 45 (54?) or something, and they can't pay. People make a sport of dodging taxes, so the government is squeezed at both ends. Promised too much, can't collect anywhere near what they need.

They have borrowed and borrowed, and now the debt is beyond what their tiny country can even come close to paying, and the creditors are getting nervous, to put it mildly.

Making it more complicated is that they are part of the EU. The fiscally prudent countries like Germany, are the ones driving the bailouts that have kept Greece from defaulting. Not politically popular with Das Folk, to say the least.

One possibility that might happen is that Greece leaves the EU, defaults, and that is that. One country leaving could have a host of knock-on effects.

No one really knows, and I couldn't even come close to saying with any certainty what will happen.

Based on the past: They will limp along for another few years, and stay in the EU.

That is a pure guess on my part. Lots of things going on, and who knows what the final nudge on the dominos will be that sets it in motion.

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 12:52 PM
There is a lot more to it of course, but that is it in a nutshell.

Greece will have to cutback on their state pensions. No way out of that, no matter what happens.

Another certainty:

American conservatives will be using the Greek example for the rest of my life as to why we need to cut back on our very meager Social Security, even though the parallels are not really there.

RD2191
06-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. So nothing like end of the world scenarios (for Greece) I was picturing? Like people killing each other for food and resources and shit?

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. So nothing like end of the world scenarios (for Greece) I was picturing? Like people killing each other for food and resources and shit?

It is going to get worse, but going full tilt Mad Max is highly unlikely. The EU would step in to prevent that, and we would probably be helping as well.

For that reason... they will muddle along, and kick the can down the road. Again.

But, there seems to be an emerging consensus that they just leave the EU, and default. Both the EU and Greece seem a lot more ready for that they they did 2 years ago.

Who knows? If I knew the answer, I would be very wealthy. A lot of financial bets are being placed, I'm sure.

btw: you're welcome. (wife tells me I forget that part sometimes, so here it is, so I don't forget it)

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 12:59 PM
I heard basically everyone middle class or better is a tax cheat there. LOL running those pensions on the tax dollars produced by the Greek Jacobs.

RD2191
06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Damn, pretty crazy stuff. We'll hope it all ends well.

:lol

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 01:03 PM
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-bailout-fund#/story

Let's just get Greece sorted
All this dithering over Greece is getting boring. European ministers flexing their muscles and posturing over whether they can help the Greek people of not. Why don't we the people just sort it instead?

The European Union is home to 503 million people, if we all just chip in a few Euro then we can get Greece sorted and hopefully get them back on track soon. Easy.

What We Need & What You Get
€1.6bn is what the Greeks need. It might seem like a lot but it's only just over €3 from each European. That's about the same as half a pint in London. Or everyone in the EU just having a Feta and Olive salad for lunch.

So come on, order a Feta and Olive salad, maybe wash it down with an Ouzo or glass of Assyrtiko greek wine and let's sort this shit out.

Pledge €3 and get a postcard sent from Greece of Alex Tsipras, the Greek Prime Minister. We'll get them made and posted in Greece and give a boost to some local printers and post offices.

€247,489EUR
raised by 16,072 people in 2 days

:lmao

RD2191
06-30-2015, 01:06 PM
That is pretty hilarious.:lol

SupremeGuy
06-30-2015, 04:27 PM
It's awesome that it actually raised money. :lol

RandomGuy
06-30-2015, 05:01 PM

Raised more than the guy who wanted to make potato salad, who got $55,000.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

He made his potato salad, donated some to charity... then:

Post-campaign, the fund has received $US20,000 in corporate donations, The Columbus Dispatch reports.

Lisa Jolley, the foundation's director of donors and development, said: "His fund will have potential way after this potato salad is forgotten."

:lol

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life/man-who-raised-us55000-in-crowdfunding-campaign-for-potato-salad-to-support-charities-20140926-10mfhl.html

Mmmm potato salad....

https://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/potato-salad.jpg

Venti Quattro
06-30-2015, 06:06 PM
:lol Greece

:lol goat fuckers

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
just a transfer of wealth man

hedgefunds and those creditors will be banking on insurance payouts if the greeks default, nothing to see here...

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 10:46 PM
:lol Greece

:lol goat fuckers

Bunch of fucking faggots who would rather molest the neighbor boy than pay their taxes.

apalisoc_9
06-30-2015, 11:27 PM
Seriously if WW3 breaks out, Turkey will most likely finish the job they failed to accomplish during the ottoman empire. Capture Greece.....

They already stole Istanbul from the europeans...

Jacob1983
06-30-2015, 11:32 PM
Greece should be turned into a global prison.

RandomGuy
07-01-2015, 12:49 PM
just a transfer of wealth man

hedgefunds and those creditors will be banking on insurance payouts if the greeks default, nothing to see here...

hedgefunds generally don't have that kind of insurance. credit default swaps are too pricey these days.

RandomGuy
07-07-2015, 10:31 AM

It raised some serious cash. Standing at 2M€.

Unfortunately, all that got refunded when the joke campaign closed out.

The guy is leveraging some serious charity work though:

Dear Friends

As the campaign has now finished and we have not reached the target, all of your contributions will now be refunded. But please don't leave me just yet!

There is a humanitarian crisis in Greece, not just an economic crisis. For those reasons I am launching a new campaign, with flexible funding so that any and all money raised can be invested to help the people of Greece. I realise now I should have done this on the first one - I can only apologise.

I will be working with Greek foundation, Desmos who have a huge network of charities that they co-ordinate the distribution of surplus goods with. Desmos will help me with my primary aim to get as many 16-24 year olds into work as possible. I want young people to have hope, to learn skills, to drive forward their economy and invest their wages back into Greece. These young people will work in charities, technology and other worthy causes to help the situation in their country.
Go and put the kettle on and while you wait for it to boil please take just a minute to look at the new campaign and be part of something very special.

TAKE A LOOK AT THE NEW CAMPAIGN (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-crowdfund) [inserted functional link-RG]

I urge you to contribute your refund and together, let's make a difference.

Very best wishes and thanks once again,

ThomFollow the campaign on Twitter for the latest updates.
www.twitter.com/GreekBailout
www.twitter.com/ThomFeeney
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/greek-bailout-fund#/updates

Slomo
07-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Greece has a very, very, very generous pension system that allows you to retire with a suite of benefits at some ridiculous age like 45 (54?) or something, and they can't pay. People make a sport of dodging taxes, so the government is squeezed at both ends. Promised too much, can't collect anywhere near what they need.

They have borrowed and borrowed, and now the debt is beyond what their tiny country can even come close to paying, and the creditors are getting nervous, to put it mildly.

Making it more complicated is that they are part of the EU. The fiscally prudent countries like Germany, are the ones driving the bailouts that have kept Greece from defaulting. Not politically popular with Das Folk, to say the least.

One possibility that might happen is that Greece leaves the EU, defaults, and that is that. One country leaving could have a host of knock-on effects.

No one really knows, and I couldn't even come close to saying with any certainty what will happen.

Based on the past: They will limp along for another few years, and stay in the EU.

That is a pure guess on my part. Lots of things going on, and who knows what the final nudge on the dominos will be that sets it in motion.

Fair enough high level recap. Except that in the immediate Greece is in danger to leave the Eurozone and not the EU (two different entities). It's a distinct possibility since less and less eurozone countries are afraid of that scenario despite the potential cost/repercussions.

Greece could rapidly deteriorate into a third world country because they are basically bankrupt - even if they are still trying to convince themselves that they're not.

Slomo
07-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Seriously if WW3 breaks out, Turkey will most likely finish the job they failed to accomplish during the ottoman empire. Capture Greece.....

They already stole Istanbul from the europeans...

Greece was part of the Ottoman empire.

Istanbul was always in Turkey - so how did they steal it?

apalisoc_9
07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Pretty Sure Istanbul was never a muzzie city till the Ottomans invaded.

Greece was never fully integrated as Part of the Ottoman nation.

They were just paying non Muzzie tax after the invasion.

RandomGuy
07-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Fair enough high level recap. Except that in the immediate Greece is in danger to leave the Eurozone and not the EU (two different entities). It's a distinct possibility since less and less eurozone countries are afraid of that scenario despite the potential cost/repercussions.

Greece could rapidly deteriorate into a third world country because they are basically bankrupt - even if they are still trying to convince themselves that they're not.

Was watching a bit on bloomberg morning that said they won't really feel it until they can't find food on the shelves.

25% unemployment so far. We'll see.

Not a lot of sympathy from others, especially from the poorer east europeans:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/euro-finance/eurozones-poorer-east-takes-hard-line-greece-316052

The eurozone's poorer former communist nations, having themselves endured painful reforms and austerity programmes, are taking a hard line on Greece after its people voted to reject creditors' bailout terms.

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia have long insisted they are too poor to pay for the mistakes made by wealthier Greece and that it should have stuck to the reforms and austerity measures laid out in its massive 240-billion-euro bailout.

"I hear some Greeks have pensions over €1,000 a month. That's outrageous. I refuse to pay for their debt while they are making fortunes compared to my salary," Bratislava waitress Martina Lelovicova told AFP on Monday (6 July) in a country where the average monthly salary is €880.

"It's good news for the eurozone. Greeks should leave it, this will only make it healthier," a Bratislava entrepreneur in his thirties who wished to remain anonymous told AFP of Sunday's Greek referendum result.

Slovak Finance Minister Peter Kazimir - the first Eurogroup minister to warn after the vote that the Greek 'No' raised the spectre of a "Grexit" or exit from the euro - told reporters: "With the result of the referendum, a possible crisis scenario, the gradual withdrawal of Greece from the eurozone, is unfolding."

Slovakia, an ex-communist nation of 5.4 million people that joined the eurozone in 2009, has suffered stubbornly high joblessness despite brisk economic growth in recent years.

Its leftist Prime Minister Robert Fico insists "Slovakia will not be harmed as a result of Greece and its decision to stay or leave the single currency union," as Bratislava "did not give any cash, only our guarantees" as part of previous Greek bailouts.

gambit1990
07-08-2015, 02:07 PM
this sums everything up: nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/greek-gods/n13253

Slomo
07-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Pretty Sure Istanbul was never a muzzie city till the Ottomans invaded.

Greece was never fully integrated as Part of the Ottoman nation.

They were just paying non Muzzie tax after the invasion.

The Ottomans where tribes form the Asian steps chased out from their original place by the Mongols. They settled in Anatoliya (and around), converted to Islam and created the Ottoman empire - not really an invasion. They did fight for Byzantium but pretty much where there for a long time.

Integrated or not, it was part of the occupied territories of the Ottoman empire, just like Hungary, Bosnia, Serbia...

Slomo
07-08-2015, 02:49 PM
Was watching a bit on bloomberg morning that said they won't really feel it until they can't find food on the shelves.

25% unemployment so far. We'll see.

Not a lot of sympathy from others, especially from the poorer east europeans:

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/euro-finance/eurozones-poorer-east-takes-hard-line-greece-316052

I feel a little bad for the regular people because they will suffer disproportionally compared to the banks and institutions that are the main culprits - but they never asked themselves where the money was coming for their generous Christmas bonuses and end of year xtra salaries (yes many used to get both), short working weeks, rich retirement plans...

When the shit hit the fan their reaction pissed off a lot of people (I think mostly the Germans) because the popular belief in Greece was (and still is) that they deserve those benefits and lifestyles and should be left alone to enjoy them. It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" situation because they are very close to become a Chinese province (which is not the worse I guess since Russia is currently a little short on cash).

I can confirm that the East European eurozone members who had similar issues and had to take care of them (tough austerity measure and closely monitored spendings) are not very keen to bail them out now, because they have not seen much effort (or even willingness) from Greece to do the same.

Greece leaving the Eurozone would represent a cost to the other members (and other negative effects), but the mood right now is turning towards the opinion that the cost will be much lower than the cost of bailing them out.

RandomGuy
07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
I feel a little bad for the regular people because they will suffer disproportionally compared to the banks and institutions that are the main culprits - but they never asked themselves where the money was coming for their generous Christmas bonuses and end of year xtra salaries (yes many used to get both), short working weeks, rich retirement plans...

When the shit hit the fan their reaction pissed off a lot of people (I think mostly the Germans) because the popular belief in Greece was (and still is) that they deserve those benefits and lifestyles and should be left alone to enjoy them. It's one of those "be careful what you wish for" situation because they are very close to become a Chinese province (which is not the worse I guess since Russia is currently a little short on cash).

I can confirm that the East European eurozone members who had similar issues and had to take care of them (tough austerity measure and closely monitored spendings) are not very keen to bail them out now, because they have not seen much effort (or even willingness) from Greece to do the same.

Greece leaving the Eurozone would represent a cost to the other members (and other negative effects), but the mood right now is turning towards the opinion that the cost will be much lower than the cost of bailing them out.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jun/15/unsustainable-futures-greece-pensions-dilemma-explained-financial-crisis-default-eurozone

Ordinary greeks are themselves partly to blame due to rampant tax evasion. Lots of blame to spread around,

apalisoc_9
07-08-2015, 08:59 PM
The Ottomans where tribes form the Asian steps chased out from their original place by the Mongols. They settled in Anatoliya (and around), converted to Islam and created the Ottoman empire - not really an invasion. They did fight for Byzantium but pretty much where there for a long time.

Integrated or not, it was part of the occupied territories of the Ottoman empire, just like Hungary, Bosnia, Serbia...

Constantinople was the capital of Roman Byzantine and later invaded and conquered by the ottomans. I don't see how it wasn't an invasion, since it was basically the eastern capital of the christans and later transformed to a muzzie state after generations of Political and Religious influence.

Anatolya not equal to Turkey.

Greece, Southern Europe, Levant, Middle East and a large portion of Western Asia was occupied states with their own independent Admins. It was basically a set of occupied countries that either Payed Zakat or Tax depending on their religious affiliations. Why should an occupied country be considered part of a country..Afganistan was never considered USSR or USA...

Slomo
07-09-2015, 04:40 AM
Constantinople was the capital of Roman Byzantine and later invaded and conquered by the ottomans. I don't see how it wasn't an invasion, since it was basically the eastern capital of the christans and later transformed to a muzzie state after generations of Political and Religious influence.

Anatolya not equal to Turkey.

Greece, Southern Europe, Levant, Middle East and a large portion of Western Asia was occupied states with their own independent Admins. It was basically a set of occupied countries that either Payed Zakat or Tax depending on their religious affiliations. Why should an occupied country be considered part of a country..Afganistan was never considered USSR or USA...

Agree that Constantinople was conquered, but not by a foreign force.

It doesn't just one of the earliest settlements location.

Not part of a country, but part of an empire. Same apply to every empire from Rome to Napoleonic France.