PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Spurs and Cavs discussing trade involving Brendan Haywood

InTheCrust
06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
In order for the San Antonio Spurs to truly beef up their attack and grab LaMarcus Aldridge without having to part ways with Tim Duncan, Kawhi Leonard, and Danny Green, they need to find a way to shed a significant amount of money. The way they can do that is by moving someone like Tiago Splitter or Boris Diaw and not bring back in money in return for the deal. In order to do that, you need to get back a non-guaranteed deal of eight figures.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have one of those in Brendan Haywood. His $10.5 million for next season aren't guaranteed, which makes him a prime trade candidate this offseason. According to Mike Monroe of the San Antonio Express-News, the Cavs and Spurs are discussing a trade for Haywood's contract, which would then help the Spurs make the biggest splash of the offseason.

A deal of either Splitter ($8.5 million) or Diaw ($7.5 million) along with Patty Mills ($3.5 million) could work for Haywood, and then the Spurs could waive the center for extra cap space. If that happens and the market breaks just right for San Antonio, they could add Aldridge, retain Green, give a pay cut to Duncan, and re-sign Leonard. They'd likely have to renounce the free agent rights of Cory Joseph and Marco Belinelli. They're also waiting for a decision on Manu Ginobili and whether or not he'll retire.

For the Cavs, they'd either add to their big man depth (and luxury tax bill) or they could flip the big man they acquire in the trade for some help on the wings. Mills could help them with a scoring point guard off the bench, or they could then hope Cory Joseph would sign with them as the backup point guard. Joseph is repped by Rich Paul -- LeBron James and Tristan Thompson's agent.

If a trade along these lines happens, the Spurs would probably become the definitive winners of the offseason within the first few days.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25229403/report-spurs-and-cavs-discussing-trade-involving-brendan-haywood

:hat

Thread
06-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I'd send Splitter, yes, but, they'll need Diaw.

spurraider21
06-30-2015, 03:40 PM
I'd send Splitter, yes, but, they'll need Diaw.
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/attachments/horse-chat/179909d1378224902-real-or-fake-horse-mr-ed-swayback.jpg

hater
06-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Diaw and Lebron would not work together IMO

Diaw would come as solid backup to Lebron.

but Splitter, Love and Lebron would work together.

I would never make a deal with CLE

06-30-2015, 03:43 PM
It will be terrible if the Spurs gift away both Splitter and Mills to the Cavs. I'm pretty sure the Spurs can find somewhere to dump only Splitter. Splitter is on the cheaper years of his contract (only $8.5 and $8.25 remaining) and still has about 2 prime years left. He has veteran experience and has been a winner everywhere he's gone. There's got to be an under the cap team who sees Splitter as someone who can push them over the playoff threshold.

Thread
06-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Diaw and Lebron would not work together IMO

Diaw would come as solid backup to Lebron.

but Splitter, Love and Lebron would work together.

I would never make a deal with CLE

You've squeezed every ounce of good from Splitter,,,now is the time to cash in. Don't worry about the CLE end of it. That's personal, not business.

Killakobe81
06-30-2015, 04:02 PM
You've squeezed every ounce of good from Splitter,,,now is the time to cash in. Don't worry about the CLE end of it. That's personal, not business.

I agree but oh the "ironing" if they meet in the finals and if Mills or Patty play a key role in a game deciding moment ... or if the moves help the Cavs help spurs get LMA ...and he destroys the Cavs come June. They cant operate under that stress because as you said, it's a business. But it would be hilarious to see as a neutral fan ...

whitemamba
06-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Diaw balls hard for a fat frenchy.

spurraider21
06-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Diaw balls hard for a fat frenchy.
:lol stop saying gat shit

whitemamba
06-30-2015, 04:12 PM
:lol stop saying gat shit

clearly you dont play ball

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't see why the Cavs would do it. Splitter for nothing would be a nice deal for most teams, but they have three comparable centers already in Thomspon, Mozgov, and Varejao.

Thread
06-30-2015, 04:13 PM
I agree but oh the "ironing" if they meet in the finals and id Mills or Patty play a key role in a game deciding moment ... or if the moves help the Cavs help spurs get LMA and he destroys the Cavs come June. They cant operate under that stress because as you said it's a business. But it woudl be hilarious to see as a neutral fan ...

Sure, Mills might hold a grudge, but, Splitter doesn't have mean bone in his body.

The Gemini Method
06-30-2015, 04:14 PM
Congrats on being bolded, Whitemamba

Beaverfuzz
06-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Crap, I agree! :bobo

ducks
06-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't see why the Cavs would do it. Splitter for nothing would be a nice deal for most teams, but they have three comparable centers already in Thomspon, Mozgov, and Varejao.

they could flip one of them for a d guard who can shot threes kind of like danny green

Mnky
06-30-2015, 05:00 PM

Thompson thinks of himself as max worthy, and varejo coming off a season ending injury. Makes sense from a business standpoint. Sure they want the shooter tho. Don't want to lose mills.

vander
06-30-2015, 05:13 PM
TP + 2 first round picks for haywood

Franklin
06-30-2015, 07:28 PM
The HAYWOOD Chip, tbh.

Buddy Mignon
06-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Why would the Cavs help the Spurs and get shit back in return.

LkrFan
06-30-2015, 08:14 PM
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/attachments/horse-chat/179909d1378224902-real-or-fake-horse-mr-ed-swayback.jpg
That's Tristan Thompson carrying LeHype to the Finals in the shitball EC tbh.

Clipper Nation
06-30-2015, 08:16 PM
That's Tristan Thompson carrying LeHype to the Finals in the shitball EC tbh.
It's DeLakerContract Jordan carrying Kirbs to 35 wins and the 9th seed, tbh.

spurraider21
06-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Why would the Cavs help the Spurs and get shit back in return.
http://i.gyazo.com/858ad30fdfc97f6683c573e0359f83e6.png

Seventyniner
06-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Congrats on being bolded, Whitemamba

But not a purple name? I know timvp and Bruno finally emerged from their coffins but damn, a bit of quality control wouldn't hurt.

The Gemini Method
07-01-2015, 10:15 AM
But not a purple name? I know timvp and Bruno finally emerged from their coffins but damn, a bit of quality control wouldn't hurt. We don't discriminate in Laker fandom--he is simply wearing those City Lights black jersey color they wore a few years ago. Stay proud Mamba de Blanco.

illmatic
07-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Splitter gone::

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2015, 11:02 AM
lol bye bye stifler

south side spur
07-04-2015, 03:47 PM
What happened to these talks? Spurs moved on?