PDA

View Full Version : QO to KL and CoJo

tholdren
06-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Thoughts on making Joseph an offer?

DesignatedT
06-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Spurs must have something up their sleeve that allows them to believe they will have enough space to retain him. Maybe Duncan taking an even bigger pay cut then expected?

dbestpro
06-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Maybe they are giving up on LMA.

TheGoldStandard
06-30-2015, 09:36 PM
How much is the QO?

peacemaker885
06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Cojo- Pop's loyal soldier.

TXstbobcat
06-30-2015, 09:41 PM
How much is the QO?

$3,034,891 for Cojo and $4,045,894 for Leonard.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Retain RFA rights with Joseph. Interesting.

SpurPadre
06-30-2015, 09:46 PM
Maybe Cojo would then be included in that Splitter and Haywood deal?

tholdren
06-30-2015, 09:48 PM
what is your first thought?

baseline bum
06-30-2015, 09:48 PM

I think they can still renounce him though.

T Park
06-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Maybe Cojo would then be included in that Splitter and Haywood deal?

Cojo's agent is tight with "la familia" in Cleveland.

Possibility him and Splitter get shipped there for space as opposed to Splitter and Mills

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Sign and trade.

tholdren
06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
Sign and trade.
yep. who?

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2015, 09:51 PM
I understand the QO for Kawhi (to lower his cap hold), but I'm trying to think of another reason for offering a QO for CoJo (outside of him being used in a trade, or of course the Spurs simply wanting to keep him). Am I missing something?

TXstbobcat
06-30-2015, 09:53 PM
I understand the QO for Kawhi (to lower his cap hold), but I'm trying to think of another reason for offering a QO for CoJo (outside of him being used in a trade, or of course the Spurs simply wanting to keep him). Am I missing something?

Possibility of mills going to Cleveland with splitter.

ducks
Maybe they are giving up on LMA.

Yeah right

SpurPadre

Possibility him and Splitter get shipped there for space as opposed to Splitter and Mills

This keeps getting more intriguing.

tholdren
06-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Possibility of mills going to Cleveland with splitter.
this is the chatter I'm reading too.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 09:55 PM
I think they can still renounce him though.

Yeah. This gives them more options.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Better to be in a position to match or work out some value in return for an asset.

While we're caught up in the clearing cap space mode, Spurs still need a supporting cast and as we've seen in offseasons past nothing is a given with having significant cap flexibility.

Some connections to Cleveland with Joseph's agent, rumored trade talks today between Cle and Spurs, could be something could be nothing. Lots of connections in the NBA between teams and players and agents.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 10:01 PM
If you're going to deal Mills then you need Joseph back. You only do that if you add Aldridge plus retain Green.

SpursFanInAustin
06-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Better to be in a position to match or work out some value in return for an asset.

While we're caught up in the clearing cap space mode, Spurs still need a supporting cast and as we've seen in offseasons past nothing is a given with having significant cap flexibility.

Some connections to Cleveland with Joseph's agent, rumored trade talks today between Cle and Spurs, could be something could be nothing. Lots of connections in the NBA between teams and players and agents.

I know that CoJo did play with Tristan Thompson at UT.

BillMc
06-30-2015, 10:02 PM

Mozgov, Verajao, Splitter, Thompson, and possibly Love??? That's some big rotation the Cavs would have to pair with Kyrie and LeBron (with Mills or Cojo off the bench). Do we beat that team?

LakerHater
06-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Leonard did not receive the maximum qualifying offer, as doing so would have eliminated much of the valuable cap space that the Spurs have worked for years to free up this summer, presumably to sign former Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge. Although Leonard’s current qualifying offer would only lock him up for one season if he accepted, he is widely expected to refuse that offer to instead sign a long-term max contract after the Spurs finish up the rest of their business in free agency over the coming days.

The future is a bit more cloudy when examining Joseph’s situation this summer. His qualifying offer is reportedly for $3.0 million. Although this will give San Antonio the option keep Joseph by matching any offer sheet that he signs with another team, the outcome of where he will play next season won’t likely be known until some of the bigger names on the market (namely Aldridge) make their decisions.

Extending the qualifying offer to Joseph will give the Spurs ample time to figure out how their offseason plans will play out. They will have 72 hours to make a decision on the former 29th overall pick if Joseph signs an offer sheet with another team.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 10:03 PM
If you don't deal Mills, then maybe you S&T Joseph, or you renounce/withdraw the QO to create cap space, depending on what you need.

Mr. Body
06-30-2015, 10:08 PM
If you send Splitter and Mills to Cleveland you're probably giving them the championship.

tholdren
06-30-2015, 10:09 PM
If you send Splitter and Mills to Cleveland you're probably giving them the championship.
who would CLE flip splitter for?

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2015, 10:11 PM

I agree, but only if they keep Love. If I'm the Spurs, I do EVERYTHING within my power to avoid trading with Cleveland.

RD2191

Kindergarten Cop
who would CLE flip splitter for?

Haywood's contract

monkeypunk
06-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Hell to the no on giving up Mills, he's the heart of the bench and the biggest bench gun when healthy.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't think this is an indication of anything, other than basic prudent free agency management.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 10:21 PM
A team may relinquish its right of first refusal, making the player an unrestricted free agent. If a qualifying offer is outstanding, the team can withdraw it unilaterally through July 23. It can be withdrawn after July 23 if the player consents, in which case the player is also renounced as a free agent7 (see question number 41). If a qualifying offer is not outstanding, then a team can relinquish its right of first refusal at any time by providing written notice.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

exstatic
06-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Haywood's contract

To a third team. We CANNOT take that contract, or any other in a sign and trade, even to cut it. It puts us in an "apron" situation where we couldn't pay Kawhi. We need to receive ONLY a trade exception, no matter how this goes down.

Kindergarten Cop
06-30-2015, 10:37 PM
To a third team. We CANNOT take that contract, or any other in a sign and trade, even to cut it. It puts us in an "apron" situation where we couldn't pay Kawhi. We need to receive ONLY a trade exception, no matter how this goes down.

Why couldn't we trade Splitter and either CoJo or Mills (or just Splitter now with news of the salary cap increase) for Haywood?

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
You could deal Splitter & Mills without triggering the hard cap.

adonis827
07-01-2015, 01:24 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250064
It says here Haywood can be waived at no cost. What do you mean here?

rmt
07-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Please don't trade Mills or let Green walk. I'd rather pass on LMA than gut the team.

Chinook
07-01-2015, 01:59 AM

Spurs can S&T away anyone they want and not worry about the apron. Cleveland can't S&T FOR anyone, though. If Cory goes there, he'd need to sign his QO.

99 Problems
07-01-2015, 03:17 AM
MVPatty is just so valuable. On those nights when we're in the 3rd, trailing by 10 and no mix is making an impact, he has that rare ability to spark a run. Not many guys have that.

gambit1990
07-01-2015, 05:37 AM
cojo has improved a lot since his rookie year and was solid off the bench this past year. he's a great third string pg.

would rather have mills.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-01-2015, 07:32 AM
I believe Cojo is going to be S&T to a team he can be afforded more playing time to. That is just my gut feeling This will clear his 5 mil caphold hit and vastly increase the Spurs chance of landing LMA.

Because I don't see the Spurs parting with Mills. He is the heart and soul of this team right now (not the best player) just the heart and soul.

GSH
07-01-2015, 10:33 AM
cojo has improved a lot since his rookie year and was solid off the bench this past year. he's a great third string pg.

would rather have mills.

Losing Mills would be a big blow. But when Patty and Tony were out, it was sure nice to have CoJo. The Spurs could have picked up T.J. McConnell for a song. I think he's as good as CoJo was when he got here - maybe better, with his age and experience. If everything goes right, they could have sent him to Austin. Sixers just agreed to a partially guaranteed contract with him.

07-01-2015, 11:27 AM
I don't like where this is going. A QO to Cojo might mean Ginobili has already told the Spurs he's leaving and the Spurs are trying to retain some semblance of PGs on the bench.