PDA

View Full Version : Rosen: Finley + Exel Can, Cant and Must Do

DieMrBond
09-11-2005, 09:04 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4840180

Everyone (journalists) seems to be thinking Finley will be taking over brents minutes... but we all seem to think he is backing up bowen? So, which is it??

Michael Finley — San Antonio

Can do — Drive both ways by virtue of excellent ball fakes and an explosive first step. Show a preference to drive to the rim going right and to stop-and-pop going left. Post up on either box for turnaround jumpers over either shoulder. Shoot in streaks. Hit 3-balls. Run the court. Create his own shots.

Can't do — Play the kind of suffocating defense as he used to. Play as tough as he used to.

Must do — Accept limited minutes and limited scoring opportunities. Step up his defense. Fit into the Spurs' disciplined game plan.

Prognosis — Since Finley will be inheriting Brent Barry's playing time, a comparison of the two is useful. Finley plays better defense, has a slower shot release, doesn't penetrate and dish as well and is a much better one-on-one scorer. Barry has better range, is quicker (but wilder) into the middle and has livelier legs. Overall, if Finley can accept his role, the Spurs' second unit now has a go-to scorer. Also, Finley also will serve as a remedy whenever San Antonio's offense hits one of their characteristic dry spells.

Nick Van Exel — San Antonio

Can do — Pull the trigger at any time. Show a step-back move going right and a full arsenal of flips, spins, hooks and pull-up jumpers going left. Use a hesitation dribble going either way. Post smaller defenders with turnaround jumpers and lefty jump hooks. Launch 3-pointers in transition.

Can't do — Take good care of the ball. Make simple reverse passes. Play adequate defense against screen/rolls and down-screens. Regain the step he lost when he injured his wheels two years ago.

Must do — Take only good shots. Play hard without the ball. Defend. Accept a diminished role.

Prognosis — Is capable of going on sustained scoring jags and is just as capable of shooting nothing but blanks. Tends to break down any continuity his team has established on offense. "Pop" must have him on a short string. But there will be nights when Van Exel is in the zone and will push the Spurs over the top.

TOP-CHERRY
09-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Finley also will serve as a remedy whenever San Antonio's offense hits one of their characteristic dry spells.

Nick Van Exel — San Antonio

Can do — Pull the trigger at any time. Show a step-back move going right and a full arsenal of flips, spins, hooks and pull-up jumpers going left. Use a hesitation dribble going either way. Post smaller defenders with turnaround jumpers and lefty jump hooks. Launch 3-pointers in transition.

But there will be nights when Van Exel is in the zone and will push the Spurs over the top.
This is gonna be an interesting season. Can't wait.

boutons
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Poor Brent, already dead, and Fin grabbing his inheritance.

IBIWISI

Solid D
09-11-2005, 10:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/4840180

Everyone (journalists) seems to be thinking Finley will be taking over brents minutes... but we all seem to think he is backing up bowen? So, which is it??

"We all"? Brent backed up Manu and Bruce last season. Finley will do the same. Understand. Brent and Fin play both wings positions.

xcoriate
09-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Can't do — Play the kind of suffocating defense as he used to. Play as tough as he used to.

wtf? Finley, defence, suffocating...

:lol

Kori Ellis
09-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Another funny thing from that same article is this ...

Linton Johnson — New Jersey
Can do — Run like blazes. Drive right. Make an occasional trey.:wtf Play with total effort.

Can't do — Pass. Handle under tight defensive pressure. Drive left. Out-muscle anybody.

Must do — Haunt the weight room. Eats lots of meat and potatoes. Work on his ball skills.

Prognosis — Kudos to Rod Thorn for appreciating the possibilities Johnson can bring to a ball club — especially his desire to get out and go.

Kori Ellis
09-11-2005, 11:32 PM
A not so funny thing ... he misspelled Devin's name ..

Devon Brown — Utah
Can do — Take the ball into the middle. Pull-up and shoot. Finish. Hit threes from a standstill. Run. Jump. Play active defense.

Can't do — Make simple reverse passes and entry passes. Avoid over-penetrating.

Must do — Harness his explosive capabilities on offense. Make better decisions with the ball.

Prognosis — Brown has high-end potential. Only steady playing time can mature his gifts. But, will Jerry Sloan let him fly long enough to make, and then overcome, his mistakes?

whottt
09-11-2005, 11:59 PM

They are right....it's not just Finley but NVE as well...

Barry can play 3 positions, but between both of our new pickups they have those positions covered...NVE is a better passer than Barry and both are better scorers...something the Spurs and many Spurs fans wanted Barry to be last season...wrongly IMO...because he was never that, and I don't know why everyone was expecting that.

But he is definitely going to lose minutes with those two guys in the rotation...in fact, since Pop showed a clear determination to get Beno PT at the point guard spot last season...I don't think that is going to change this season...so it won't surprise me to see Barry pull some IR minutes this season....I see him having a very limited role this season...

It's NVE, not Finley, that makes Barry expendable though.

Anyway...we'll be a better team this way...but I haven't see anything from Barry to indicate he can be effective playing limited minutes ala Kerr...then again...he might have proved to himself that's he's a winner last season, when he was basically our guard and SF rotation for the entire playoff run...so he maybe when he gets a chance to come in he'll be Kerr and just bang in 3 pointers with confidence.

My only concern with the new rotation and kicking Barry out of it, is Finley..

I know he's a board favorite...but I am telling you guys he is highly over-rated...he makes a lot of stupid plays and takes a lot of bad shots...he might have the worst handles of any 2 guard in the game...I just hope he doesn't hurt us in the post season with his propensity for making boneheaded plays...it is a concern for me.

polandprzem
09-12-2005, 01:37 AM
A not so funny thing ... he misspelled Devin's name ..
In San Antonio they would never do such a thing.
Poor Devin :( :depressed

thispego
09-12-2005, 03:02 AM
They are right....it's not just Finley but NVE as well...

Barry can play 3 positions, but between both of our new pickups they have those positions covered...NVE is a better passer than Barry and both are better scorers...something the Spurs and many Spurs fans wanted Barry to be last season...wrongly IMO...because he was never that, and I don't know why everyone was expecting that.

But he is definitely going to lose minutes with those two guys in the rotation...in fact, since Pop showed a clear determination to get Beno PT at the point guard spot last season...I don't think that is going to change this season...so it won't surprise me to see Barry pull some IR minutes this season....I see him having a very limited role this season...

It's NVE, not Finley, that makes Barry expendable though.

Anyway...we'll be a better team this way...but I haven't see anything from Barry to indicate he can be effective playing limited minutes ala Kerr...then again...he might have proved to himself that's he's a winner last season, when he was basically our guard and SF rotation for the entire playoff run...so he maybe when he gets a chance to come in he'll be Kerr and just bang in 3 pointers with confidence.

My only concern with the new rotation and kicking Barry out of it, is Finley..

I know he's a board favorite...but I am telling you guys he is highly over-rated...he makes a lot of stupid plays and takes a lot of bad shots...he might have the worst handles of any 2 guard in the game...I just hope he doesn't hurt us in the post season with his propensity for making boneheaded plays...it is a concern for me.
bone headed plays will only put him on the becnh, we can afford to have at least 2 or 3 guys a night totally off and still pull of W's

50 cent
09-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Rosen is still an idiot. I swear, I don't think the guys has watched a basketball game since 1968.

whottt
09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
bone headed plays will only put him on the becnh,

And who do you put in his place?

We don't have Bigg Dogg this season...and Barry hasn't shown me anything that would lead me to conclude he can come in and be effective with infrequent PT.

That's the catch 22....

Devin could come in and play relatively well getting sporadic PT and Bigg Dogg was...well, Big Dogg.

I don't like that we kept Finely and Barry and let Devin go...I'd have preferred we kept Devin and either Finley or Barry...because I know Devin doesn't get effected by spordadic PT....I wasn't a big fan of his contributions last season, as far as their overall impact on the teams performance VS Barry's...but I could see the potential he had....the main thing he did well consistently though was...hit open threes...that's something a lot of guys struggle with, including just about every perimeter oriented scorer we have ever signed in the Duncan era.

On paper we are a substantially better team...but I am not sold on Finley yet, and I don't really like the type of starter glut we have on the bench(IE, no one used to getting limited minutes in a very limited role).

But anyway...NVE is going to clean up a lot of messes...so it's not that big of a worry.

GoSpurs21
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I know he's a board favorite...but I am telling you guys he is highly over-rated...he makes a lot of stupid plays and takes a lot of bad shots...he might have the worst handles of any 2 guard in the game...I just hope he doesn't hurt us in the post season with his propensity for making boneheaded plays...it is a concern for me.I think Fin is over the hill as a starter, but with limited (backup) type mins I will give him the benifit of doubt. But like you I am not real high on Fin, especially after the way he faded against the Suns, but then I will not be disappointed (like I was with Barry last year).

T Park
09-12-2005, 11:34 PM
Whottt sees his BF getting pushed out, hence the anymosity.

Ignore it.

grjr
09-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Another funny thing from that same article is this ...

Linton Johnson — New Jersey
Can do — Run like blazes. Drive right. Make an occasional trey.

He must have been referring to Linton's previous job in the food service industry and spelled tray wrong.

http://foodfanatic.net/FoodPics/SubandSandwichPics/ClubSandwichTrayresized.jpg