PDA

View Full Version : Official "LMA wasn't that good anyways" meltdown/post-depression thread

ElNono
07-01-2015, 05:47 PM
Soft jump shooter, soft defender, his peak was 2nd round fodder and about to be on the wrong side of 30, tbh...

Now Greg Monroe, that's a kid built like a tank and with an upside.

Kinda glad the Spurs passed on Aldridge, tbh....

Robz4000
07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Don't want Monroe either tbh. Can the Spurs renege on that Splitter trade?

Skoobz
07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
:cry:cryPrized FA's never come here anyways

ElNono
07-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Don't want Monroe either tbh. Can the Spurs renege on that Splitter trade?

We'll start a "Greg Monroe wasn't that good anyways" meltdown thread once we're trying to get him...

If we're in the "Please bring back Tiago" stage, shit went really wrong, IMO

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Who are we fronting Aldridge is going to? The S:lolns?

gameFACE
07-01-2015, 05:55 PM
He took the money instead of a ring? No way!!

Good thread :tu

Godbama
07-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Don't worry guys, Carlos Boozer is in the pipeline :cell

Silver&Black
07-01-2015, 06:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UVyO8BB.png

timvp
07-01-2015, 06:01 PM
My body is ready.

Mikeanaro
07-01-2015, 06:05 PM
This thread is for a Laker forum tbh.

Texas_Ranger
07-01-2015, 06:05 PM
After Kirilenko and Gasol I will not be shocked.

SpursSerb
07-01-2015, 06:06 PM
After the Kirilenko meltdown, we took the title. Why change the winning combinaton?

K...
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
BRING THE GODDAMN SERB OVER (tm)

kjhip1
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Yeah he sucks, never bought into him coming here anyway, a sulker if u ask me

Spur|n|Austin
07-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Get in here robdiaz2191 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690)! :)

Not for the depression but for the "wasn't that good"

eric365
07-01-2015, 06:15 PM
I just hope tha LMA or whoever else we get will be as good as 2014 Splitter or even 2013 Splitter

Because that guy is really underated and was key to a championship

timvp
07-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Why'd we trade Splitter? He's better than LaMarcus Aldridge! Why trade a better player to try (and fail) to sign a worse player for more money?!?!?!!?

kjhip1
We'll start a "Greg Monroe wasn't that good anyways" meltdown thread once we're trying to get him...

If we're in the "Please bring back Tiago" stage, shit went really wrong, IMO
:lol

Sean Cagney
He took the money instead of a ring? No way!!

Good thread :tu

Either that or we were a better fit for him and I dont know why he went there? Fans thinking for the player meaning logic would tell you but players always defy logic when it comes to signing with the Spurs...

DrunkTXLabrat
07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
DRAYMOND GREEN!

Obstructed_View
07-01-2015, 06:20 PM
I don't care. I just didn't think it was worth losing Danny Green to get him. The Spurs will not be as good without Splitter, but I think they can survive as long as they retain good players and add a decent starter who can stay healthy.

RD2191
07-01-2015, 06:20 PM
Get in here robdiaz2191 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=42690)! :)

Not for the depression but for the "wasn't that good"
:sleepI'm just waiting for the news.

Beaverfuzz
07-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Bring back the corpse of Yinka Dare!

K...
07-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Why'd we trade splitter and not Parker, what the fuck is the FO good for!!!!!!!SMH

Uriel
07-01-2015, 08:34 PM
If Aldridge signs with the Suns after the Spurs traded Splitter for nothing... :pctoss

ohmwrecker
07-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Is Kevin Willis still alive?

Uriel
07-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Fuck, I still remember last year's Gasol thread where all of us were jacking off to reports of him signing with the Spurs for the MLE, only for Chicago to amnesty Boozer and swoop him up at the last minute. :lol

baseline bum
07-01-2015, 08:51 PM
El crying in his micheladas and day 1 of free agency isn't even over. smh, take a siesta son.

AFBlue
07-01-2015, 08:54 PM
It will be so sweet when the Spurs eliminate the Aldridge and the Blazers from the playoffs next year. Revenge. Sweet revenge.

ElNono
El crying in his micheladas and day 1 of free agency isn't even over. smh, take a siesta son.

tbh, I'm ecstatic with Danny coming back... would love if Gino makes it one more year too...

Never been a fan of Aldrige, but we already dealt Splitter, so it better fucking happen now

InRareForm
Goofy looking almost 30 looking dude

Mugen
07-01-2015, 09:00 PM
:lol honestly if he ends up picking the Suns, then I think the Spurs might have dodged a bullet by a signing a retard to the team

Spursmania
07-01-2015, 09:06 PM
:lol honestly if he ends up picking the Suns, then I think the Spurs might have dodged a bullet by a signing a retard to the team

Exactly!:bobo

AFBlue
07-01-2015, 09:08 PM
No way this guy picks the Suns over more money and an already-playoff-caliber team.

Beaverfuzz
07-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Damn it, he's a Sun.

SON OF A BITCH!

:bobo

We never wanted him anyway.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2015, 09:14 PM
The pessimism and lack of respect for the Spurs FO around here is hilarious. They know exactly what they are doing and everything is falling into place as we speak. We are just about to sign LMA and lock down a core that will contend for another 5 years. Rejoice, people! ;)

Rapper
07-01-2015, 09:15 PM
Michael Jordan is not that good anyway

gameFACE
07-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Does this mean we can finally get Robertas Javtokas here?

Mr. Body
07-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Does this mean we can finally get Robertas Javtokas here?

Greatest shark tattoo ever.

wut
07-01-2015, 09:27 PM
smh

gameFACE
07-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Greatest shark tattoo ever.

First thing I thought of. That's pretty much all anyone can remember of the guy.

Spurs9
07-02-2015, 03:01 PM
The meltdown is already started based on Wojtek tweets :lmao

Baam
07-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Lol Danny Green taking a paycut to help sign Kosta Koufos instead of LMA, biggest victim of the offseason...

Blizzardwizard
07-02-2015, 03:08 PM
:lol

BillMc
07-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Oh his a good player, and I will still welcome him on the team. But I'm not impressed by this...

TheGreatYacht
07-02-2015, 03:12 PM
We better off with Boozer. Real shit my nigga.

:cry

Amuseddaysleeper
07-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Suns isn't official though is it?

Gonna be a brutal summer if we lose out on LMA AND traded Splitter.

Ugh.

Mugen
07-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm officially hopping off the wagon and calling dis nigga soft tbh. Even if the spurs get him, he's a soft ass nigga until proven otherwise.

07-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I would say that if the Spurs kept Splitter and most of their team together...

But the Spurs are all in at this point. Aldridge not signing with the Spurs will be a disaster fro the Spurs. The bench has been gutted and all the good FAs are being locked up (and the talent wasn't that spectacular to begin with).

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 03:51 PM
I'd be fine with him on the team, as he has a lot of talent. The Spurs can survive without him, and if he needs to be on a team that can't survive without him in order to function, then he needs to go there. Diaw can still cover him.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 03:53 PM
I would say that if the Spurs kept Splitter and most of their team together...

But the Spurs are all in at this point. Aldridge not signing with the Spurs will be a disaster fro the Spurs. All the good FAs are being locked up (and the talent wasn't that spectacular to begin with).

The trade hasn't even been given to the league office at this point. Nobody can do anything until July 9.

07-02-2015, 03:58 PM
The trade hasn't even been given to the league office at this point. Nobody can do anything until July 9.
Yes but there is almost no precedent in teams backing out of a trade unless a player fails a physical or the NBA vetoes the trade. Bud and Pop are close so they may have a wink wink agreement but it's going to look very obvious if this trade doesn't go through. Other owners might cry foul play. They've cried for less.

Bud's hands might be tied because the trade was made public. All of Atlanta is expecting the team to get Splitter for peanuts. He might not be able to reverse it.

sexinthatsx
07-02-2015, 04:00 PM
The biggest threat that is prying LMA away from the Spurs is Portland tbh. In the end, LMA might just be toying with these teams just to get a bigger check from the team he's played his whole career with.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes but there is almost no precedent in teams backing out of a trade unless a player fails a physical or the NBA vetoes the trade. Bud and Pop are close so they may have a wink wink agreement but it's going to look very obvious if this trade doesn't go through. Other owners might cry foul play. They've cried for less.

Bud's hands might be tied because the trade was made public. All of Atlanta is expecting the team to get Splitter for peanuts. He might not be able to reverse it.

The trade doesn't exist. It's been reported in the media. If the Spurs and the Hawks say "What trade?" in two days, there's nothing anyone can do about it. There's a moratorium. If a player gives a verbal agreement today and then changes his mind before the 9th they could do it.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 04:06 PM
The biggest threat that is prying LMA away from the Spurs is Portland tbh. In the end, LMA might just be toying with these teams just to get a bigger check from the team he's played his whole career with.

They already offered him the most money they can possibly offer, and more than anyone else. If money is his goal, he could have stayed at home. Again, it's a pretty elaborate ruse selling his house in Oregon just to go back.

Old School 44
07-02-2015, 04:10 PM
I would love for Aldridge to sign with the Spurs, but IMO the key to the Spurs free agency was resigning Green/Leonard and the return of TD.
The only bad part of going after Aldridge, not just for the Spurs, but for all teams seriously interested, is the wait.

Decent plan B's start disappearing. Also, complementary pieces the team could to go after along with him, also start disappearing. I can't fathom what it takes to make this type of decision, but I think it's in the free agent's best interest, and his new team's best interest, to decide quickly.

The pursuing teams also have to have an internal deadline, "if he doesn't decide by x date, then it's time to move on" after all, it is a business decision.

r0drig0lac
07-02-2015, 04:10 PM
2 pages and counting...

07-02-2015, 04:13 PM
The trade doesn't exist. It's been reported in the media. If the Spurs and the Hawks say "What trade?" in two days, there's nothing anyone can do about it. There's a moratorium. If a player gives a verbal agreement today and then changes his mind before the 9th they could do it.
I think this is wishful thinking. Unless you can point out something similar happening in the past, I highly doubt the league will let this fly. Bud is supposed to be an independent president of operations of another team, not the patsy of the Spurs. The Hawks have no incentive to back out of the trade, they are getting a very good big for nothing.

The rest of the owners were crying conspiracy when the Grizzlies salary dumped Gasol. This is even more obvious.

FA have backed out before (very rarely) but they only represent themselves, not another team. There's no possibility of collusion there. And even when FA back out of their verbal agreements, they are vilified for it.

tmtcsc
07-02-2015, 04:13 PM
Sun of a bitch. Seriously. His wishy washyness already makes him a faggot and not in a gay way. Just straight up faggot. I want players who want to play here.

SpursSerb
07-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Just a memory is all he’ll ever be,
he had to stay, I had to go... :flag:

sexinthatsx
07-02-2015, 04:20 PM
They already offered him the most money they can possibly offer, and more than anyone else. If money is his goal, he could have stayed at home. Again, it's a pretty elaborate ruse selling his house in Oregon just to go back.

He could always come to the realization that he couldn't picture himself leaving Portland... the realization which can come anytime within seconds of making his final decision. But again, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up just to have it crushed lol.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 04:20 PM
The Hawks have no incentive to back out of the trade, they are getting a very good big for nothing.

You keep saying this, but it only exists in your imagination, particularly the part about what the Spurs are getting back. The only announcement has been that the Spurs traded Tiago Splitter. There has not been a single shred of paper filed with the league office, because it can't happen at the moment. This is not the same as the Gasol trade, which took place in the middle of the season. This is an announcement during a mandatory league moratorium. If you can come up with a rule that it violates, either spirit or letter, I'd love to see it.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
If the Spurs lose out on LMA tomorrow, they can say "We've decided that we aren't trading Splitter" and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

EDIT: The Spurs probably will NOT do that. They'll probably take Walter Tavares or a draft pick or something, but they could do that.

timvp
07-02-2015, 04:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPAc8EOb6M4

Spurs fans = Zack if LMA signs elsewhere.

Manu20
07-02-2015, 04:26 PM
But he is good! 23 and 10 guys don't come around too often...:cry

07-02-2015, 04:44 PM
You keep saying this, but it only exists in your imagination, particularly the part about what the Spurs are getting back. The only announcement has been that the Spurs traded Tiago Splitter. There has not been a single shred of paper filed with the league office, because it can't happen at the moment. This is not the same as the Gasol trade, which took place in the middle of the season. This is an announcement during a mandatory league moratorium. If you can come up with a rule that it violates, either spirit or letter, I'd love to see it.
I can say the same thing. Teams backing out of trades exist only in your imagination. If you can point out a couple of past examples of this happening, I'd love to see it. If you can find a team that's backed out of a verbal agreement trade that was reported by legitimate media, I will feel better about the Spurs chances to keep Splitter.

Any sane 3rd party can see this as collusion and the NBA doesn't need specific laws to take action. The league has vetoed trades based on "basketball reasons," fined the Spurs for resting players, and took away a team from an owner for past racist comments. I doubt any of that shows up in the rule book. As long as the owners agree to that unfair competition is taking place, Silver can act.

Edit: I don't want to keep arguing with you. Spurstalk is the worst place to have a discussion since everyone is so stubborn and everyone believes they're right. I will concede that the Spurs COULD try to pull this off but likely won't because other teams can easily claim unfair competition (aka collusion) and Bud would not look so good in front of the Hawk's owner. So Splitter is likely gone which is my original point.

Mugen
07-02-2015, 04:46 PM
SOFT

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I can say the same thing. Teams backing out of trades exist only in your imagination. If you can point out a couple of past examples of this happening, I'd love to see it. If you can find a team that's backed out of a verbal agreement trade that was reported by legitimate media, I will feel better about the Spurs chances to keep Splitter.

Any sane 3rd party can see this as collusion and the NBA doesn't need specific laws to take action. The league has vetoed trades based on "basketball reasons," fined the Spurs for resting players, and took away a team from an owner for past racist comments. I doubt any of that shows up in the rule book. As long as the owners agree to that unfair competition is taking place, Silver can act.

Edit: I don't want to keep arguing with you. Spurstalk is the worst place to have a discussion since everyone is so stubborn and everyone believes they're right. I will concede that the Spurs COULD try to pull this off but likely won't because other teams can easily claim unfair competition (aka collusion) and Bud would not look so good in front of the Hawk's owner. So Splitter is likely gone which is my original point.

Well, I do see your side in this, and I understand that the league has powers that extend beyond the rule book, but I simply can't see any violation here, even if nobody has done it before. Hell, for all we know, it HAS been done, but there wasn't 24-hour media and people scooping each other to report it when it happened. General managers talk to each other all the time, and they rescind trades all the time. Usually it's for medical reasons, and sometimes it's just blamed on medical reasons. The Thunder backed out of a trade for Tyson Chandler years ago and vaguely mentioned "cause for concern". Chandler has been playing the subsequent six years in the NBA.

Anyway, if I had to predict, I'd say that's probably not what the Spurs will do. I think they'll probably just initiate the trade for something the Spurs need if Lamarcus goes somewhere else. But I'm also saying that there's just no reason I can see why they couldn't do it. If Pop and Bud had a verbal agreement that said the trade was contingent upon the Spurs' signing Lamarcus Aldridge, and then followed through, I don't see how in the world that's either collusion or a violation of any rule anywhere. It doesn't hurt any other team, and it frankly doesn't affect negotiations with any other team. It just makes the player sure that they've got their ducks lined up. It's not a conduct violation of any type. There's no rule in place that says the Spurs have to clear cap space when negotiating, and there's no rule that says the trade has to be completed before they offer a free agent a deal. If a team complains, I don't see how they're injured or damaged in any way. There's no tampering here. It's a handshake agreement between two general managers.

"Hey, I might be getting this guy, and I'll need to get rid of this other guy. Do you want him if that happens?"
"Yeah, sure. We'll figure out what to give you back if and when."

FRED AT YAHOO SPORTS REPORTS TRADE MADE

I'm simply saying that in that sequence of events above, there's not actually a trade made. Someone in the office of one of the teams called Fred at Yahoo and told him about it. That's not collusion, that's just a phone call. If the Spurs had to submit paperwork to the league, and then did this as a ruse to sneak around the process then it would definitely be a violation. General managers have a certain amount of autonomy, and Bud was in a position to take advantage of the Spurs if they signed Lamarcus, and the Spurs were in a position to get their player back if they didn't.

G-Dawgg
07-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Wow 7th in the NBA in scoring 23.4ppg and 8th in rebounding 10.2rpg.. Also, people say he's a terrible defender? Wrong. Apparently he's among the best interior defenders in the NBA too.
This was just a season ago, check this out...

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/3/4/4064060/study-blazers-f-lamarcus-aldridge-among-nbas-best-post-defenders

We better get this guy, because there's no way we can say 'LMA wasn't that good anyways'.

therealtruth
07-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Sun of a bitch. Seriously. His wishy washyness already makes him a faggot and not in a gay way. Just straight up faggot. I want players who want to play here.

That usually indicates a FA won't choose the Spurs. The FA's that choose the Spurs generally know they want to go to the Spurs.

Uriel
07-03-2015, 04:19 AM
If the Spurs lose out on LMA tomorrow, they can say "We've decided that we aren't trading Splitter" and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

EDIT: The Spurs probably will NOT do that. They'll probably take Walter Tavares or a draft pick or something, but they could do that.
The Spurs would lose league wide credibility if they ever did that. :lol But I wouldn't be surprised if Splitter somehow failed his physical and Atlanta rescinded the trade,

FireMicoHalili
07-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Somehow I don't see the Spurs landing Aldridge; in his stead, they fall back on David West, Kosta Koufos, and Alan Anderson

therealtruth
07-03-2015, 06:46 AM
Wow 7th in the NBA in scoring 23.4ppg and 8th in rebounding 10.2rpg.. Also, people say he's a terrible defender? Wrong. Apparently he's among the best interior defenders in the NBA too.
This was just a season ago, check this out...

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/3/4/4064060/study-blazers-f-lamarcus-aldridge-among-nbas-best-post-defenders

We better get this guy, because there's no way we can say 'LMA wasn't that good anyways'.

He's a pretty good defender but he couldn't defend Zbo in the playoffs?

pgardn
07-03-2015, 06:55 AM

Good analysis.

Free agency ignited a good number of thoughtful posts.
This place does have some hope.

pgardn
07-03-2015, 07:02 AM
He's a pretty good defender but he couldn't defend Zbo in the playoffs?

This is why healthy Tiago was so valuable. He could defend a wide variety of players thereby taking a huge load off of Tim. Boris is now going to have to shoulder this load and he can't frustrate guys like Tiago could. We will get another push shove pick up fouls send em to the FT line guy. Tiago actually making players take tough shots without fouling will be a concern for our D.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Splitter absolutely shut ZBo down.

G-Dawgg
07-04-2015, 04:37 AM
Remember when the Spurs got knocked out in the first round by Memphis a few years back? ZBo killed EVERYBODY that tried to cover him in the post.

pgardn
07-04-2015, 06:34 AM
Remember when the Spurs got knocked out in the first round by Memphis a few years back? ZBo killed EVERYBODY that tried to cover him in the post.

Splitter ended that illusion.

BillMc
07-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Splitter ended that illusion.

Yep

pgardn
07-04-2015, 06:40 AM
SOFT

This is what kinda worries me. He is a player who has always given US trouble so we value him. But the pressure he has actually had to deal with? If Duncan could just put his hands on him and give a big, "be healed sinner", then shove LA to the ground I would feel better about the whole thing. We are all in on this but I'm worried.

pgardn
07-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Yep

Oh.

I still want your book when it comes out.

BillMc
07-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Oh.

I still want your book when it comes out.

It is out! I'll PM you.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2015, 07:12 AM
This is what kinda worries me. He is a player who has always given US trouble so we value him. But the pressure he has actually had to deal with? If Duncan could just put his hands on him and give a big, "be healed sinner", then shove LA to the ground I would feel better about the whole thing. We are all in on this but I'm worried.

That's the luxury of having a good enough team that you know you'll be okay without him. Realistically, he's a great player, but realistically, the Spurs can win without him. None of the other teams trying to get him can say the same.

ducks
07-04-2015, 12:58 PM
nice jinx

ElNono
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
lock this shit :hat

timtonymanu
07-04-2015, 12:59 PM
SOFT

milkyway21
07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
IT'S ABOUT TIME TO SAY GOODBYE , OP !!!