PDA

View Full Version : So Timmy starts C with Baynes backup?

aal04
07-01-2015, 05:56 PM
I guess that can work in the new small ball era?

Im expecting 20-22minutes from Timmy this season. Hes old, but hes still human.

Steve-O-Matic
07-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Baynes would have to re-sign first. He was non-tendered and is currently an UFA.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Baynes would have to re-sign first. He was non-tendered and is currently an UFA.

We don't know that. It seems likely but we don't know that. Doesn't appear teams are required to declare that quite yet.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Splitter was the one guarding Dirk Aldridge and Griffin. Aldridge takes that role. On offense, the way we play high/low, the post need be interchangeable with motion.

Mel_13
07-01-2015, 06:15 PM
We don't know that. It seems likely but we don't know that. Doesn't appear teams are required to declare that quite yet.

June 30th was the deadline to tender QOs.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2015, 06:16 PM
June 30th was the deadline to tender QOs.

Ahh I figured since it hadn't been reported. So who did we QO? Just Green and KL? Has that been reported?

DesignatedT
07-01-2015, 06:18 PM

Be patient my friend. We are 1 day into Free Agency.

Mel_13
07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Ahh I figured since it hadn't been reported. So who did we QO? Just Green and KL? Has that been reported?

Leonard and Joseph. Green wasn't eligible. I read it here, not sure where it was reported.

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2015, 06:26 PM

This, assuming LA is locked up, is the next interesting story. How do they address the hole at C. Baynes is not a sufficient answer for 26 minutes a game, and no one else on the roster fits, so I am sure they've got some contingencies going. Wonder what we're in store for, there.

Last year, the point guard situation was precarious. Patty's injury caused Parker to play too many minutes. He broke down possibly due to that. Patty or Parker healthy might have been worth one more win. One more win, and a healthy Parker, changes seeding, and possibly playoff outcomes. For want of a nail the kingdom was lost.

We gonna wear out Duncan or land a serviceable C, I wonder.

K...
07-01-2015, 06:28 PM
This, assuming LA is locked up, is the next interesting story. How do they address the hole at C. Baynes is not a sufficient answer for 26 minutes a game, and no one else on the roster fits, so I am sure they've got some contingencies going. Wonder what we're in store for, there.

Last year, the point guard situation was precarious. Patty's injury caused Parker to play too many minutes. He broke down possibly due to that. Patty or Parker healthy might have been worth one more win. One more win, and a healthy Parker, changes seeding, and possibly playoff outcomes. For want of a nail the kingdom was lost.

i'm sure we can go small and run kawhi at the 4. Also we have or may acquire foreign big rights. I'm not worried. Go with best available talent over position.

BackHome
07-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Yeah we need a backup center and we probably going to loose Benelli so we need a SG who can handle the ball and is a good passer. We will really need to manage Timmy and Manu minutes so we nees good backups for them

Ocotillo
07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
two words................ Erazem Lorbek

Mel_13
07-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Bottom line: if Aldridge is signed using cap space, then the Spurs won't be able to offer Baynes more than the minimum. That probably won't get it done. I'm assuming that the room exception will be used for Manu.

littlecoyotecoin
07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
i'm sure we can go small and run kawhi at the 4. Also we have or may acquire foreign big rights. I'm not worried. Go with best available talent over position.

Yes. Small will work sometimes. Still think we'll need a good backup C. And, SG is the next most interesting need, which is a holdover somewhat from last year.

Agloco
07-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Bottom line: if Aldridge is signed using cap space, then the Spurs won't be able to offer Baynes more than the minimum. That probably won't get it done. I'm assuming that the room exception will be used for Manu.

That kid from UMass and possibly Lorbek? Color me uninspired. Especially if we can't bring back Mills or CoJo

ceperez
07-01-2015, 07:02 PM
Let's see if Spurs got Tavares from the Hawks.

BackHome
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
We better get him cause if Bayne walks we are screwed at the center position

07-01-2015, 07:20 PM
I don't think Baynes is coming back if Aldridge is signed... unless Manu retires and the Spurs use the room exception on Baynes instead.

aal04
07-01-2015, 09:11 PM
We need Baynes cheap. He aint Hakeem, but he can get dirty inside and is completely expendable.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-01-2015, 09:22 PM
Backup 5 is not a worry. The Warriors just won a championship with a 6'5" C. Given the amount of smallball we'll be playing we'll only need a 4th big for about 10mins a night, and we'll be able to find someone to plug that hole.

Oh, and Timmy won't be playing "20-22 mins". He'll play 28-32 when he plays, and sit 10 games against easy beats. Have you people not been paying attention? :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't think Baynes is coming back if Aldridge is signed... unless Manu retires and the Spurs use the room exception on Baynes instead.

Baynes cap hold is only $1.1m. With the expanded cap who knows if they can fit that much in. If Duncan signs the exception and manu signs for the min then it is possible that they keep Baynes and one of Belli or Cojo in the same way.

Seventyniner
07-01-2015, 09:35 PM
That kid from UMass and possibly Lorbek? Color me uninspired. Especially if we can't bring back Mills or CoJo

omg you did not just go there

Agloco
07-01-2015, 09:53 PM
omg you did not just go there

<shrug> bring over Bertans?

I'm fresh out of answers but it's clear that the Spirs have their work cut out for them as far as getting a legit C

Axegrinder
07-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Bertans is a broken beanpole

keepinitwill
07-01-2015, 10:09 PM

I'd like to get Kosta Koufos

Axegrinder
07-01-2015, 10:10 PM
Sac dumping Thompson on Philly...home of centers.....Thoughts? Werent Spurs interested at one time?
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/616442694433255424) Sacramento is trading Jason Thompson and Carl Landry as part of a salary dump to the Philadelphia 76ers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Stauskus too

Agloco
07-01-2015, 10:25 PM

But he spaces the floor.......:lol

K...
07-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Baynes can pro get more in europe i''m guessing. We can't lowball him

keepinitwill
07-01-2015, 10:33 PM
Baynes can pro get more in europe i''m guessing. We can't lowball him

Sure can't. I think he still has a lot of upside. With decent minutes there is no reason he can't be a 15 ppg, 10 reb, and 2 blks guy. He's as good of back C as there is in the league.

Axegrinder
07-01-2015, 10:34 PM
But he spaces the floor.......:lol
:lol Haa..ya the floor of the ICU

therealtruth
07-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Backup 5 is not a worry. The Warriors just won a championship with a 6'5" C. Given the amount of smallball we'll be playing we'll only need a 4th big for about 10mins a night, and we'll be able to find someone to plug that hole.

Oh, and Timmy won't be playing "20-22 mins". He'll play 28-32 when he plays, and sit 10 games against easy beats. Have you people not been paying attention? :lol

How do you play alot of small ball if 2 of your best players are TD and LMA? Small ball works best when your best players are smalls.

hsxvvd
07-01-2015, 11:56 PM
Diaw to start C, back up Bonner... easy.

aal04
07-01-2015, 11:59 PM
LMA hesitant now and possibly siding with Suns because they have a true Center in Chandler... one report

Fireball
07-02-2015, 02:32 AM
Small ball seems to be the way to go when it gets tough in the playoffs these days, but without a good big man rotation the Spurs will not secure a good seed to get into the playoffs ...

Uriel
07-02-2015, 02:35 AM
Are there any updates on Baynes / CoJo / Bonner? We know Bellinelli is gone, but if they're willing to play for the minimum, I could see all of those guys coming back for depth purposes.

BillMc
07-02-2015, 03:17 AM
We better get him cause if Bayne walks we are screwed at the center position

We could bring Nikola Milutinov (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Milutinov) over sooner than expected.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 03:49 AM
LMA hesitant now and possibly siding with Suns because they have a true Center in Chandler... one report

Seriously, if he's so stupid that he signs with Phoenix, I won't even be mad. I'll just enjoy watching him not make the playoffs every year.

BillMc
07-02-2015, 04:00 AM
Seriously, if he's so stupid that he signs with Phoenix, I won't even be mad. I'll just enjoy watching him not make the playoffs every year.

This.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 04:05 AM
The best part is that these tweets give Suns fans hope and then dashes it or gives them a player that doesn't make them a contender.

benfti
07-02-2015, 05:02 AM
My source says Baynes will come back for less unless someone offers him stupidly high money

-21-
07-02-2015, 05:13 AM
I'm not sure how I feel with Tim being our best defensive big. P&R defense is gonna be a pain to watch.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2015, 06:34 AM

And he isn't even close to being a center.

BillMc
07-02-2015, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure how I feel with Tim being our best defensive big. P&R defense is gonna be a pain to watch.

True. We'll need to add some complementary pieces. With the loss of depth and learning curve for LMA, we actually might take a short term step back. But signing Danny, Kawhi and getting LMA (if it happens) are setting us up well for the future.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2015, 07:01 AM
We could bring Nikola Milutinov (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Milutinov) over sooner than expected.

I am hoping for, and expecting some sort of solution out of left field like this. Small ball is not a full-time solution. I don't want to watch them overplay Tim, and Baynes is not a good rim protector. Bertans is a no. Lorbek has no defensive praise supporting that suggestion. Cady is long in wingspan and showed some shot-blocking predilection, but hard to imagine a second round rookie power forward getting any PT at center under Pop, but who knows. Milutinov is long, and a decent offensive rebounder they say. Maybe he could come over early, be coached up on D, but it just seems unrealistic given Pop's usual penchants. I would hope for that. But, I am guessing an old vet for the minimum, or a younger cast off Ayres type, or a foreigner like the Mexican they were looking at last year if Baynes fell through. Something unexpected, anyway, with our draft picks or bringing someone else in. I just don't see them standing pat having moved Splitter.

bigfan
07-02-2015, 08:55 AM
http://www.prensa1.com/images/thumbs/1311770696546.jpeg

Is it finally time?????

He's only 35!

dbestpro
07-02-2015, 09:14 AM
I really like Baynes, and think he could start for some teams, but with LMA and Duncan, I feel we need a more mobile backup center with shot blocking skills. Does not need to shoot a lick.

CGD
07-02-2015, 09:42 AM

Is signing LMA with cap space a foregone conclusion? Still unear why a sign and trade with Portland (assuming they're onboard) can't work.

For example, if the Blazers think they can extract something of value from the Warriors to dump David Lee, wouldn't the trade exception be useful?

Mel_13
07-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Is signing LMA with cap space a foregone conclusion? Still unear why a sign and trade with Portland (assuming they're onboard) can't work.

For example, if the Blazers think they can extract something of value from the Warriors to dump David Lee, wouldn't the trade exception be useful?

The S&T option pretty much sailed with the Splitter trade. If we do an S&T that creates a huge TE for Portland, which I believe is what you're suggesting, then the Spurs would still have to create the cap space to absorb Aldridge's contract.

MaNu4Tres
07-02-2015, 09:52 AM
If they get LMA, Greg Smith or Dalembert could be options to sign for the minimum to fill in some depth at the C position.

ceperez
07-02-2015, 12:38 PM
My source says Baynes will come back for less unless someone offers him stupidly high money

He's gone... signed with Pistons for $20m http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/238565/Aron-Baynes-Pistons-Agree-Upon-Three-Year-Deal

ceperez
07-02-2015, 12:41 PM
I am hoping for, and expecting some sort of solution out of left field like this. Small ball is not a full-time solution. I don't want to watch them overplay Tim, and Baynes is not a good rim protector. Bertans is a no. Lorbek has no defensive praise supporting that suggestion. Cady is long in wingspan and showed some shot-blocking predilection, but hard to imagine a second round rookie power forward getting any PT at center under Pop, but who knows. Milutinov is long, and a decent offensive rebounder they say. Maybe he could come over early, be coached up on D, but it just seems unrealistic given Pop's usual penchants. I would hope for that. But, I am guessing an old vet for the minimum, or a younger cast off Ayres type, or a foreigner like the Mexican they were looking at last year if Baynes fell through. Something unexpected, anyway, with our draft picks or bringing someone else in. I just don't see them standing pat having moved Splitter.

At this stage with Splitter being traded and Baynes signing else where.... there are no centers (other than Duncan).

So maybe the plan is to have the rookies play.... or maybe there's some other cheap center out there that can be acquired.

I don't think Duncan has the legs to play small ball or the the strength left to play center without a backup.

spurraider21
07-02-2015, 12:47 PM
:lmao if duncan retires and we start diaw and bonner

hater
07-02-2015, 12:48 PM
:lmao if duncan retires and we start diaw and bonner

Diaw is a backup.

Penderfag and Bonner it is

jeebus
07-02-2015, 12:49 PM
Parker
Green
Kawhi
Bonner
Ayres

Bench:
CancerJo
Mills
Prince
Butler
Diaw
Williams
Fat Head

:lmao

jeebus
07-02-2015, 12:50 PM
:( nvm, Timmy coming back officially

DieHardSpursFan1537
07-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Welp....Baynes is gone.

littlecoyotecoin
07-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Diaw is a backup.

Penderfag and Bonner it is

Diaw is not a center. Small ball, maybe, but, again, that is not a full-time solution. Baynes leaving makes me happy, tbh.

GrandeDavid
07-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Baynes on his way to Detroit. The NBA is hilarious with all these overpaid players....and little tops Greg Monroe getting a max contract. lol

BillMc
07-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Baynes will be overpaid, but, hey, good for him. Seemed like a good guy.

We made need to get our Serbian draft pick over pronto, young and green as he is...

spurraider21
07-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Ryan Richards out of necessity? :lol

Chinook
07-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Who was that guy objective was talking about a few months ago? That center that played with Dangubic's team?

jyra
07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Boban Marjanovic, no chance he comes over on a minimum deal.

Chinook
07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Boban Marjanovic, no chance he comes over on a minimum deal.

Thanks. The Spurs have more than the min to offer, though.

jyra
07-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks. The Spurs have more than the min to offer, though.

The Room exception might do it but I assumed that it would be used to bring back Manu.

Chinook
07-02-2015, 02:56 PM
The Room exception might do it but I assumed that it would be used to bring back Manu.

Yeah, but they may have A LOT more than that available.

jyra
07-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Let's hope they don't...

objective
07-02-2015, 03:31 PM
BOBAN and West, while bringing over Milutinov early night be a sad best alternative

Mouth is Bleeding
07-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Are there any good international big man free agents out there?

Both with and god forbid without LMA we will need something.

If without LMA is it totally unrealistic that with more money we can get someone proven (like Baynes was but maybe just maybe even better more expensive!) from international basket?

edit: this Marjanovic giant the best?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2015, 05:00 PM
I think for the numbers to work Milutinov has to declare to play overseas for the year. Otherwise he gets a hold. Expanded cap may change that of course. Teams cannot commit to anything until next week so lots of ambiguity.

objective
07-02-2015, 05:09 PM
If Aldridge doesn't come then Milutinov's cap hold becomes irrelevant, might as well bring him over and not worry about the 300k reduction in cap space or whatever it is.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2015, 05:29 PM
If Aldridge doesn't come then Milutinov's cap hold becomes irrelevant, might as well bring him over and not worry about the 300k reduction in cap space or whatever it is.

Well the thread was about Timmy's backup assuming LMA signs. If Aldridge doesn't come then they won't turn in the Hawks trade and yeah all bets are off. At that point we are over the cap and will have the MLE this year.

I'm just pointing out that Milutinov and Aldridge may be mutually exclusive.

objective
07-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Well the thread was about Timmy's backup assuming LMA signs. If Aldridge doesn't come then they won't turn in the Hawks trade and yeah all bets are off. At that point we are over the cap and will have the MLE this year.

I'm just pointing out that Milutinov and Aldridge may be mutually exclusive.

Neither the thread title or first post mention Aldridge at all. The main point to me was that no matter what Tim is going to play center, be that with Aldridge, West, or Diaw.

Milutinov and Aldridge might be impossible, but other combinations aren't necessarily so

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Neither the thread title or first post mention Aldridge at all. The main point to me was that no matter what Tim is going to play center, be that with Aldridge, West, or Diaw.

Milutinov and Aldridge might be impossible, but other combinations aren't necessarily so

If Aldridge goes elsewhere, the Splitter deal isn't submitted on the 9th. Personally I think Duncan has been guarding the 5 for years at this point paired with Bonner and Splitter. Splitter is the one who guards LMA, Griffin, Dirk, etc.

objective
07-02-2015, 06:13 PM
If Aldridge goes elsewhere, the Splitter deal isn't submitted on the 9th. Personally I think Duncan has been guarding the 5 for years at this point paired with Bonner and Splitter. Splitter is the one who guards LMA, Griffin, Dirk, etc.

When did this "splitter deal dependant on Aldridge and is subject to revocation" thing start?

I'm not being sarcastic, if that's been reported by a legit media person I want to go look at it, I would have thought there'd be a new thread for that bit of news.

Because if that's just supposition or hope from fans I don't buy it. Bud has a chance to turn his team from paper contender to real title threat for nearly nothing affecting this season and he's just going to let that go?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2015, 06:21 PM
When did this "splitter deal dependant on Aldridge and is subject to revocation" thing start?

I'm not being sarcastic, if that's been reported by a legit media person I want to go look at it, I would have thought there'd be a new thread for that bit of news.

Because if that's just supposition or hope from fans I don't buy it. Bud has a chance to turn his team from paper contender to real title threat for nearly nothing affecting this season and he's just going to let that go?

When the tweet came out that the deal had not been turned in and would be turned in on the 9th.

objective
07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
I didn't read that tweet as meaning the deal could be called off, only as cap figures would be settled then in case ATL needed to make another small move to get the space or preserve it, or give them the chance for any sign and trades or such.

A formality issue, like when draft night trades can't be completed until after the draft or when deals contingent on expected cap room need to be done first for ATL.

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
When the tweet came out that the deal had not been turned in and would be turned in on the 9th.
Be a ruthless thing to do. Especially to a partner who wants to have your back.
Being Machiavellian doesn't work very well in a closed environment. It breeds contempt and collusion against you.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Be a ruthless thing to do. Especially to a partner who wants to have your back.
Being Machiavellian doesn't work very well in a closed environment. It breeds contempt and collusion against you.

I'm pretty sure that Pop wouldn't do it that way to his friend.

Russ
07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Walter Tavares might be the perfect replacement for the Baynes spot on the roster.

He's raw but he's huge and has great hands. It looks like he has a chance to be a plus scorer down low (and has a nice short range jumper).

He moves somewhat mechanically like Baynes but he has a nose for the ball -- when it's close, it's his -- a rare skill in a guy that big.

Can he move well enough to defend? Well, he has great hands (for defense, too) and you can't teach height (7'3").

All in all, I'd say he has as much or more upside as Baynes when he arrived.

littlecoyotecoin
07-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Walter Tavares might be the perfect replacement for the Baynes spot on the roster.

He's raw but he's huge and has great hands. It looks like he has a chance to be a plus scorer down low (and has a nice short range jumper).

He moves somewhat mechanically like Baynes but he has a nose for the ball -- when it's close, it's his -- a rare skill in a guy that big.

Can he move well enough to defend? Well, he has great hands (for defense, too) and you can't teach height (7'3").

All in all, I'd say he has as much or more upside as Baynes when he arrived.

Of all the names mentioned on the backup tier, he would be more exciting to get than the rest, to me, too. If Atl signed him to a Spurs-steered contract, to complete the trade, awesome. Who knows if that's what occured, though. And, no worries about Pop sticking it to Bud. Never happen. If the Splitter deal is nixed due to the fact we don't get Aldridge, it would have been agreed upon in advance, I'm sure. But, I think it's a done deal either way, according to what someone mentioned in another thread.

therealtruth
07-03-2015, 12:31 PM
True. We'll need to add some complementary pieces. With the loss of depth and learning curve for LMA, we actually might take a short term step back. But signing Danny, Kawhi and getting LMA (if it happens) are setting us up well for the future.
I am not sure we should be taking steps back when TD has only got a few years left. We should be in win-now mode. Once TD hangs it up, it's going to be much tougher to win.

I really like Baynes, and think he could start for some teams, but with LMA and Duncan, I feel we need a more mobile backup center with shot blocking skills. Does not need to shoot a lick.
Splitter was pretty effective without being a shot blocker by contesting shots without fouling. He was mobile and able to defend the pick and roll and switch on smalls. There's lots of shot blockers who are bad defenders.

therealtruth
07-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that Pop wouldn't do it that way to his friend.

Of course not, Pop loses games on the last day of the season so his friends can keep their jobs. I'm sure he would be thrilled if Bud won it all next year and that trade helped them.

BillMc
07-03-2015, 12:33 PM
I am not sure we should be taking steps back when TD has only got a few years left. We should be in win-now mode. Once TD hangs it up, it's going to be much tougher to win.

We're in win now mode while setting up the future. That said, reality is reality and our depth will probably take a hit this summer. I could be wrong, hope I am. We'll see.

Cklbmk
07-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Guys you realize Baynes became a Piston like 2 days ago right

littlecoyotecoin
07-04-2015, 08:37 AM
You do realize this thread was started long before Baynes' signing in Detroit, and the only two mentions of him on this page are in the past tense/speculation on how to replace him.

Spurtacular
08-02-2015, 08:17 AM
I hope Boban lives up to semi-expectations. I don't want to be having Aaron Baynes withdrawal.

dweaver99027
08-02-2015, 10:01 AM
There should be no real expectations for a 5th big getting paid under 2 mil. We Spurs fans are spoiled, ha.

Spurtacular
08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
People don't know what to expect exactly. But there are hopes for a Euro MVP.

dweaver99027
08-02-2015, 05:43 PM
People throw Euro MVP around liberally. In my book, only Euroleague MVP and Spanish league MVP hold weight. The Serbian/Adriatic league MVP, while a definite personal honor, does not say all that much for someone's NBA projection.

Spurtacular
08-03-2015, 03:33 AM
People throw Euro MVP around liberally. In my book, only Euroleague MVP and Spanish league MVP hold weight. The Serbian/Adriatic league MVP, while a definite personal honor, does not say all that much for someone's NBA projection.

I've heard the media calling him a Euro MVP. I haven't looked it up b/c it looks like he was mostly benefiting from playing against midgets ala George Mikan in the 40's.

dweaver99027
08-03-2015, 05:21 AM
He wasn't playing in Korea against 6' 5" bigs. No midgets in Europe, just some leagues being very top-heavy or outright weak.

Spurtacular
08-03-2015, 07:39 AM
He wasn't playing in Korea against 6' 5" bigs. No midgets in Europe, just some leagues being very top-heavy or outright weak.

I saw one highlight where it looked like the next biggest guy was 6'3".