PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Front Office In SA

tholdren
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Would you be tired of this Indecisive Attitude?

Or

Would you continue to remain patient and enable his insecurities.

I would pick the former. SA has no time for this type of melodrama.

ducks
07-02-2015, 06:01 PM
some of bigger balls then others

ffadicted
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
lol
it's the second day of free agency... jesus christ these pussy ass fans

benstanfield
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
At this point, with us and PHX making trades and FAs signing left and right, if he stays in Portland he should be investigated for tampering. Every day he drags this out is costing all teams involved, including whoever he signs for. If he truly wants to come here he should've announced 6 hours ago so we could move on.

Seeing everyone interested made sense, but if his choice isn't made soon he's being a dumbass.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2015, 06:31 PM
I'd be shocked if the Spurs were caught unawares during any of this. Either he's a Spurs guy, and he goes out and has his fun then comes back, or he's not a Spurs guy, and they have a backup plan and are still in position to contend next year.

benstanfield
07-02-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm fine with him taking his time, except that with the rate this free agency is going, his tiptoeing could be the difference between a Kosta Koufous or David West versus Lavoy Allen or Tyler Hansborough.

TBH every day that goes by is bad for the Spurs. SA is the obvious, no nonsense choice. PHX is the 'hold on, let me overthink this and make a mistake' choice. POR is the 'I wasn't that comfortable with anyone else' choice. All bode badly for Spurs as more time elapses.

ceperez
07-02-2015, 07:32 PM
I'm fine with him taking his time, except that with the rate this free agency is going, his tiptoeing could be the difference between a Kosta Koufous or David West versus Lavoy Allen or Tyler Hansborough.

TBH every day that goes by is bad for the Spurs. SA is the obvious, no nonsense choice. PHX is the 'hold on, let me overthink this and make a mistake' choice. POR is the 'I wasn't that comfortable with anyone else' choice. All bode badly for Spurs as more time elapses.

I agree with you here. Every day he remains indecisive, the lower the opportunities for the Spurs to build a team. I mean, his indecision already caused the Spurs to trade Splitter for nothing.

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Impatience is always a good plan. Always. Choosing a house, choosing investments, studying trends in any subject... waiting for clients to close on a sensitive and lucrative deal...

Yes. Impatience has it's value.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2015, 07:35 PM
I'd just keep working the phone and checking in with RC and Pop and see where things were, pass along the info I'm getting from agents who expressed interest in San Antonio and line up phone stuff to go over what we have available once all the chips fall into place.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Impatience is always a good plan. Always. Choosing a house, choosing investments, studying trends in any subject... waiting for clients to close on a sensitive and lucrative deal...

Yup, fuck checking the foundation and the plumbing it has crown molding and high ceilings I'll take it..

davidbowie
07-02-2015, 07:36 PM
We trashed Tiago and baynes for this dude he better get his ass over and he better like it or I'm taking a dump in his mailbox

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Yup, fuck checking the foundation and the plumbing it has crown molding and high ceilings I'll take it..
Lol. I've seen't it.

Mr. Body
07-02-2015, 07:41 PM
I would post threads better suited in already existing threads.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2015, 07:42 PM
We trashed Tiago and baynes for this dude he better get his ass over and he better like it or I'm taking a dump in his mailbox

Baynes was an insane offer, Detroit was going to offer 3/20 and we would have helped tie the handkerchief to the stick on his way out.

Tiago was a causality of war, if you fail to prepare then you prepare to fail.

Embedded
07-02-2015, 07:54 PM

LOL his security detail probably includes a guy to check the mailbox for doodoo deliveries, especially from a 78xxx zip code.

Embedded
07-02-2015, 07:57 PM
I really liked TIago Splitter, thrilled he got a championship ring. His struggles are directly related to our performance last season. With the urgency of our historic quests right now, we can't risk a repeat of last season.

DMC
07-02-2015, 08:12 PM
I really liked TIago Splitter, thrilled he got a championship ring. His struggles are directly related to our performance last season. With the urgency of our historic quests right now, we can't risk a repeat of last season.
No one will remove that risk, especially LMA. Injuries are part and parcel of high level sports. Nothing you can do about it except manage minutes.

I don't care what LMA does. I just want Tim to enjoy his final season however that happens to be.

Aztecfan03
07-02-2015, 08:19 PM
but what about wood floors. no wood floors=no deal.

Maj_G
07-02-2015, 08:27 PM
At this point, with us and PHX making trades and FAs signing left and right, if he stays in Portland he should be investigated for tampering. Every day he drags this out is costing all teams involved, including whoever he signs for. If he truly wants to come here he should've announced 6 hours ago so we could move on.

Seeing everyone interested made sense, but if his choice isn't made soon he's being a dumbass.

This! I think Marc Stein and others have some concerns that LMA is not typical spur --too selfish. That's what he said in Zack Lowe's podcast.

baseline bum
07-02-2015, 08:31 PM
I call Robin Lopez and tell them I'm interested if Aldridge falls through. But I wait for Aldridge.

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2015, 08:33 PM
I'd probably want to go back to draft night and have a do over..

baseline bum
07-02-2015, 08:33 PM

The Spurs gave up something of value. The Suns unloaded the contracts of the shitty Morris twin and Danny Granger and Reggie Bullock. It would be like the Spurs dumping overpaid versions of Baynes, Ayres, and Reggie Williams.

keepinitwill
07-02-2015, 08:45 PM
lol
it's the second day of free agency... jesus christ these pussy ass fans
^^^^^^This

benstanfield
07-02-2015, 09:18 PM
The Spurs gave up something of value. The Suns unloaded the contracts of the shitty Morris twin and Danny Granger and Reggie Bullock. It would be like the Spurs dumping overpaid versions of Baynes, Ayres, and Reggie Williams.

Yeah but both teams' FA pursuits are effectively on pause until he gets off the pot. In between now and my example of Koufous now vs Lavoy Allen later, Lavoy Allen was re-signed. If he's going Spurs he's doing himself a disservice, putting a good team behind him will be harder every day he waits.

benstanfield
07-02-2015, 09:35 PM

His patience has a steep opportunity cost for whoever loses out. Monroe, Millsap, Thad Young, both Lopez twins, Amir Johnson, Asik, Ed Davis, and T Robinson have all been courted and are with new teams or will be soon. If this dude doesn't sign he will have effectively sabotaged TD's last year. If I try and sell a client while ten others close deals with someone else, it isn't impatience to tell him to make a decision. He's the gem of this FA class, but if he goes elsewhere like it's looking he will, we've really fucked ourselves courting and waiting for him.

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 09:42 PM
His patience has a steep opportunity cost for whoever loses out. Monroe, Millsap, Thad Young, both Lopez twins, Amir Johnson, Asik, Ed Davis, and T Robinson have all been courted and are with new teams or will be soon. If this dude doesn't sign he will have effectively sabotaged TD's last year. If I try and sell a client while ten others close deals with someone else, it isn't impatience to tell him to make a decision. He's the gem of this FA class, but if he goes elsewhere like it's looking he will, we've really fucked ourselves courting and waiting for him.
Everything in this kind of situation is a risk/reward equation and the FO and Pop knows it. They believe in analytics' and this is an analytical situation and big-time deals always require a certain amount of patience.
This team doesn't succeed for 16 plus years by being reactionary and ignoring what the numbers tell them.

Why go emo when the alternatives to being patient aren't even going to nudge the needle either way? Better to show strength in the face of opposition than OK, I'm going to look to RoLo and West (who is waiting anyway) and... Amare? Oh...

tholdren
07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Everything in this kind of situation is a risk/reward equation and the FO and Pop knows it. They believe in analytics' and this is an analytical situation and big-time deals always require a certain amount of patience.
This team doesn't succeed for 16 plus years by being reactionary and ignoring what the numbers tell them.

Why go emo when the alternatives to being patient aren't even going to nudge the needle either way? Better to show strength in the face of opposition than OK, I'm going to look to RoLo and West (who is waiting anyway) and... Amare? Oh...

First, your patience/no patience analogy is flawed, because from the flip side, there is no better built house than SA. He's just getting caught up in the sales pitch - which makes him a moron. To give up on your team, pout about position, and not be much of a player to be built around (see his PO resume) he sure is uncertain of where he would fit, even though this should have been already done, until you have your finalists. And you can't tell me 1/4 of the league was his finalists, there should be 2-3. Act like a grown man, make a choice, and get on with it.

Back to your house analogy - if I have a realtor and tell her exactly what Im looking for, and she shows me every house for sale because it has one aspect I like, then she's an idiot, and so am i for viewing all the houses.

Further - your patience theory is somewhat flawed from the FO stance as well. Sure you have patience, but you also have a limit. IMO its not smart to go past the limit. The limit here is what your backup plan can be due to signing. I'm semi-confident that the FO has a move they want to make, but it would be disappointing to find that they held out for only one player. Not Smart. It makes them an enabler.

Again, my take was to get Millsap. Who knows, maybe the FO could have landed him for Tiago?

Time will tell

mercos
07-02-2015, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't call two days of meetings indecisive. If LA lets this drag on for a week, then that would get annoying. Its not his fault that NBA execs decided to drop a billion on the first day of free agency and snatch up most of the good free agents.

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 10:06 PM
First, your patience/no patience analogy is flawed, because from the flip side, there is no better built house than SA. He's just getting caught up in the sales pitch - which makes him a moron. To give up on your team, pout about position, and not be much of a player to be built around (see his PO resume) he sure is uncertain of where he would fit, even though this should have been already done, until you have your finalists. And you can't tell me 1/4 of the league was his finalists, there should be 2-3. Act like a grown man, make a choice, and get on with it.

Back to your house analogy - if I have a realtor and tell her exactly what Im looking for, and she shows me every house for sale because it has one aspect I like, then she's an idiot, and so am i for viewing all the houses.

Further - your patience theory is somewhat flawed from the FO stance as well. Sure you have patience, but you also have a limit. IMO its not smart to go past the limit. The limit here is what your backup plan can be due to signing. I'm semi-confident that the FO has a move they want to make, but it would be disappointing to find that they held out for only one player. Not Smart. It makes them an enabler.

Again, my take was to get Millsap. Who knows, maybe the FO could have landed him for Tiago?

Time will tell

Not that I'm arguing, but I made a house analogy? I must be really f'd up tonight... And you make good points. Very valid. Food for thought.
Oh- patience to find a house. I've been in this shit. I told my buyer's agent exactly what I wanted and what I wnated was not available in my reasonable range so he showed me the closest, reasonable situations that fit my wants.
That didn't happen for you? Or are you so rich you can have anything you want?

TheGoldStandard
07-02-2015, 10:08 PM

Time will tell

Atlanta would have matched for Millsap and they did and he stayed. I know, the attraction of playing with the Spurs but the foundation is getting a bit shaky even for a proven franchise. The truth of the matter is he wants to win and the foundation of the Spurs is built on Tim Duncan, Manu and Tony Parker everything else we have is circumstantial because it's never had to stand alone. So Aldridge is trying to find out what the plans are in the future, who are you building around and what do you see projections in the future. Pop is no spring chicken either, he may bolt when Tim leaves and where does that leave the organization?

He's not only looking at possibly winning a championship now but also on how you can draw others to play with when Tim, Manu walk away and when Parker drops off even more so. Kawhi looks like he has a lot of potential but he's always had the ability to defer to everyone else when things got hot..

Patience, there are many layers that go into getting a "star" FA.

tholdren
07-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Not that I'm arguing, but I made a house analogy? I must be really f'd up tonight... And you make good points. Very valid. Food for thought.
Oh- patience to find a house. I've been in this shit. I told my buyer's agent exactly what I wanted and what I wnated was not available in my reasonable range so he showed me the closest, reasonable situations that fit my wants.
That didn't happen for you? Or are you so rich you can have anything you want?
i do well

DMC
07-02-2015, 10:13 PM
what part of CIA Pop do you not understand?
Probably sitting Tim in game 6.

tholdren
07-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Probably sitting Tim in game 6.
playing mcdyess

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Atlanta would have matched for Millsap and they did and he stayed. I know, the attraction of playing with the Spurs but the foundation is getting a bit shaky even for a proven franchise. The truth of the matter is he wants to win and the foundation of the Spurs is built on Tim Duncan, Manu and Tony Parker everything else we have is circumstantial because it's never had to stand alone. So Aldridge is trying to find out what the plans are in the future, who are you building around and what do you see projections in the future. Pop is no spring chicken either, he may bolt when Tim leaves and where does that leave the organization?

He's not only looking at possibly winning a championship now but also on how you can draw others to play with when Tim, Manu walk away and when Parker drops off even more so. Kawhi looks like he has a lot of potential but he's always had the ability to defer to everyone else when things got hot..

Patience, there are many layers that go into getting a "star" FA.
Nothing is simple, face value shit.
Fans think on that level. People who work on a different level, think and plan on a different level.
I don't just write screenplays for fun and think that if I like it, everyone will like it.
I write specifically for Producers and Directors to draw them in, yet leave details open for their interpretation BECAUSE:

I know what the fuck I'm doing: making money. Selling my wares. Working a level beyond all those doofuses who think their great idea they can write will make a milly.
It doesn't work like that. There is a level beyond what the fan/viewer sees and it is smart, ruthless and awesome.

I will remain calm until he decides. Then I may become unhinged.
And you will all know. I've decided to nest here. You will all incubate my eggs!

Plum Island
07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
i do well
I should hope so. Bueno, mi amigo. Muy bueno.
You didn't address the rest, but why bother right?

tholdren
07-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I should hope so. Bueno, mi amigo. Muy bueno.
You didn't address the rest, but why bother right?
No, I told the agent what I wanted and what I didn't want after making up my mind before and doing research. When she showed me the 3 houses I went in and looked myself, so I didnt have to hear her comments. Then I picked the one I wanted. I didn't piss around to hear her or the homeowner give me a damn speech, or wait for other people to offer.

ducks
07-04-2015, 12:09 AM
well pop did request the second meeting

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 12:58 AM
You make time. Leonard + Aldridge + Green gives you the nucleus of a contender, certainly a playoff team, for the next five years.