PDA

View Full Version : Could This Be the End of the Spurs Era?

Russ
07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Sorry to be contrarian, but now is the time.

Could this seemingly joyous event, in retrospect, put a bookend on the Spurs Era?

Never in the 19 year Popovich reign have the Spurs invested so much in such an unknown. Ever.

They almost did in '03 and dodged a bullet when J. Kidd turned them down and they kept a younger cheaper Tony Parker.

Grant Hill, Derek Anderson, the list of fortunate (in retrospect) rejections goes on.

This time they got their man -- does the irony continue, but this time not in a good way like it's been in the past?

Or is this a bullet they'll be glad they didn't dodge?

Is this the best FA signing the Spurs have ever had or does this signal the beginning of the end?

(Aw, heck, I'm just kiddin' ya.)

Well, maybe, anyway. :)

GSH
07-04-2015, 12:21 PM
I see what you did there. If this deal somehow goes wrong, you can revive this thread and say I Told You So.

If you remember, the Summer the Spurs traded for Jackie Butler, the sports pundits were glowing about what a great addition he was going to be. (Of course, Pop said he was a project, but nobody was listening.) I remember a couple of articles with paragraphs saying that the Spurs had the best offseason of anyone that year. And THAT came closer to being the end of the Spurs era than anything in recent memory. Ultimately, I think that left the Spurs in the hole that made Richard Jefferson the best player they could afford.

If the Spurs somehow manage to land West, or pull another rabbit out of their hat, they will have managed to re-build without ever having a re-building year. Even if they don't, there's no way you could ever second-guess this signing. Ever.

Marcus Bryant
07-04-2015, 12:22 PM
You don't pass this up.

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Who cares, just get #6, tbh..

cantthinkofanything
07-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Sorry to be contrarian, but now is the time.

Could this seemingly joyous event, in retrospect, put a bookend on the Spurs Era?

Never in the 19 year Popovich reign have the Spurs invested so much in such an unknown. Ever.

They almost did in '03 and dodged a bullet when J. Kidd turned them down and they kept a younger cheaper Tony Parker.

Grant Hill, Derek Anderson, the list of fortunate (in retrospect) rejections goes on.

This time they got their man -- does the irony continue, but this time not in a good way like it's been in the past?

Or is this a bullet they'll be glad they didn't dodge?

Is this the best FA signing the Spurs have ever had or does this signal the beginning of the end?

(Aw, heck, I'm just kiddin' ya.)

Well, maybe, anyway. :)

Dodged a bullet by not getting Kidd? You mean dodged a couple more rings.

testies
07-04-2015, 12:24 PM
:lol stopped reading when he said it was a good deal keeping parker instead of jason kidd

maybe we'd be sitting on like 7 rings now

PingPong
07-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Probably the ball movement will fade. More ISOs from LMA e Kiwi, Porker playing his hero bowling style.

Mr. Body
07-04-2015, 12:25 PM
If it doesn't work and LMA wants out, he's still highly valuable in a trade.

Embedded
07-04-2015, 12:27 PM
I'm willing to take this risk. It's not like LaMarcus Aldridge is an unknown from Slovakia. Unfortunately, I live in New Braunfels but travel to Portland quite a lot, last year I joked with the staff at the Marriott that we were going to get LaMarcus Aldridge. They'll probably corner me in the elevator and beat the snot out of me now. Thanks, Lamarcus.

Russ
07-04-2015, 12:44 PM
I see what you did there. If this deal somehow goes wrong, you can revive this thread and say I Told You So.

If you remember, the Summer the Spurs traded for Jackie Butler, the sports pundits were glowing about what a great addition he was going to be. (Of course, Pop said he was a project, but nobody was listening.) I remember a couple of articles with paragraphs saying that the Spurs had the best offseason of anyone that year. And THAT came closer to being the end of the Spurs era than anything in recent memory. Ultimately, I think that left the Spurs in the hole that made Richard Jefferson the best player they could afford.

If the Spurs somehow manage to land West, or pull another rabbit out of their hat, they will have managed to re-build without ever having a re-building year. Even if they don't, there's no way you could ever second-guess this signing. Ever.

For the record, I never liked Jackie Butler. (I liked that skinny Dutch guy from Cal that they dumped in order to sign Butler.) You can go back and check on that if you like.

More importantly, this time I fully expect to be wrong to doubt this even a little. :flag:

And you're right, if the Spurs can get West it's a home run.

Russ
03-11-2021, 03:46 PM
If it doesn't work and LMA wants out, he's still highly valuable in a trade.

Well, it's 6 years later and I think you may still be right (to an extent).

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) they can get for LMA.

But I think people will be surprised about how much LMA still has in the tank. He'll help somebody down the stretch (and his D is a lot better than most here apprehend -- Lay it on me :lol).

exstatic
03-11-2021, 03:57 PM
Well, it's 6 years later and I think you may still be right (to an extent).

It will be interesting to see what (if anything) they can get for LMA.

But I think people will be surprised about how much LMA still has in the tank. He'll help somebody down the stretch (and his D is a lot better than most here apprehend -- Lay it on me :lol).

He’s still a pretty good post defender, but this isn’t a post up era. It’s all about pick and roll, and three pointers. Get him a switch, and he’s toast. It’s a nearly automatic score.

Russ
03-11-2021, 04:03 PM
He’s still a pretty good post defender, but this isn’t a post up era. It’s all about pick and roll, and three pointers. Get him a switch, and he’s toast. It’s a nearly automatic score.

Oh yeah, he's toast on the perimeter. I remember attending one of those playoff games against the Rockets in '17 -- somehow Houston always managed to do a high pick that isolated LMA on Harden. It was brutal to watch.